Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] General: Garrett's Best of 2012

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

2012 is nearly over and it's always fun to take a look back at the games that we spent lots of hours enjoying. We'll be spending this week talking about the games that we, the staff of MMORPG.com, caught our attention in the year that was. As ever, join the conversation in the comments. Garrett weighs in with his choices on this third day of 2013. Read on!

This list is always fun to do. 2012 to me is not so much about individual games but a trend in games. It was the year of Kickstarter, but in more ways it was the year that fans and players told developers the games they wanted to see made and how they would make them. This trend has begun and I don’t think it is going away. More than ever we are seeing games made that we want and more independent MMOs coming to life. With that said, here are my games for 2012. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Garrett's Best of 2012.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Agree with most of that, but think you forgot to take the rose-tinted spectacles off for GW2.  I am not saying its bad, I am just saying that your praise bears little relation to the game I played. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Scarfe
    Agree with most of that, but think you forgot to take the rose-tinted spectacles off for GW2.  I am not saying its bad, I am just saying that your praise bears little relation to the game I played. 

His opinion - yours is different is all. Can you agree to disagree about GW2?

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Every game on all the lists so far have been just bad games or non-mmos.  I feel like devs aren't even trying anymore.  huttball, really?  Give me failhammer online over that any day of the week.  I seem to be in the minority anymore, but 5 years ago no one would have put up with the crap that's being shoveled out now.  I guess a lot of the old playerbase has just moved on with their lives.  Hopefully TESO or AA can salvage 2013.
    Originally posted by botrytis

Yes and no.  I would like to see a little more objectivity from a headline article; as we had for each of the other games in his list.   

• Who is considering World of Tanks a hybrid MMO? It's not an MMO... of any kind. Cool game, though.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Yes and no.  I would like to see a little more objectivity from a headline article; as we had for each of the other games in his list.   

It is a completely subjective matter you know. A PERSONAL top list....

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Every game on all the lists so far have been just bad games or non-mmos.  I feel like devs aren't even trying anymore.  huttball, really?  Give me failhammer online over that any day of the week.  I seem to be in the minority anymore, but 5 years ago no one would have put up with the crap that's being shoveled out now.  I guess a lot of the old playerbase has just moved on with their lives.  Hopefully TESO or AA can salvage 2013.

So here's my question to you:

What's YOUR list for 2012? :)

Originally posted by Kuppa

I am aware, but I give more credence to an opinion that does not come over as blinkered. 

I am aware, but I give more credence to an opinion that does not come over as blinkered. 

I think you mean an opinion that differs to much from yours.

I think you mean an opinion that differs to much from yours.

Right back at you. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

How does one know that? An opinion is just that - an opinion. Now I understand you dsilike the game but it was his list.

How does one know that? An opinion is just that - an opinion. Now I understand you dsilike the game but it was his list.

This is hijacking the thread in a manner I had not intended, however, almost every review and article you read is an opinion, it does not mean we cannot hold them up to scrutiny.  By the by, I enjoyed the game for two months or so.   

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

GW2, Pirates 101 and SWTOR as your top 3?

You just completely discredited yourself, bud.  There is a thing called objective criticism, and it seems that your rose-colored glasses inhibit your use of it.  Is it that the writers on this site are afraid to give honest opinions?  That they fear to scare away the funding these companies hand out to gaming sites to ensure favorable praise and adulations?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by adam_nox Every game on all the lists so far have been just bad games or non-mmos.  I feel like devs aren't even trying anymore.  huttball, really?  Give me failhammer online over that any day of the week.  I seem to be in the minority anymore, but 5 years ago no one would have put up with the crap that's being shoveled out now.  I guess a lot of the old playerbase has just moved on with their lives.  Hopefully TESO or AA can salvage 2013.
    So here's my question to you:

What's YOUR list for 2012? :)

OK let us start with the following

(1) Everquest II It has been around for 8 years, and is still going. It has a good number of servers, more than SWTOR. We don't have the bleed off of many of the new games that we had this year.

(2) TSW i kept my attention for 3 months.

(3) DCUO I don't play that much any more but it is better than any of the games on the list.

(4) Fallen Earth same thing I only play 1 to 2 times a week, I played in beta, and despite they had a rocky go of it they are still around, despite having done many things wrong that chased of a good number of folks.

As far was the other games that are games of the year, what they all lacked was depth. With the exception of Pirate 101, it has a lot of interesting things if your my 12 year old but for folks like me, it was one of those that made you go huh.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well Garrett, much of what you say is true.  World of Tanks is a big hit, but if you've taken the time to try out World of Warplanes you would know that game is as bad as WOT is good.  Don't know about World of Warships just yet, I have not tried it.

"Star Wars was the game that launched in a subscription-free era" I do not agree with that statement at all.  Just because SWTOR could not sustain a subscription base, does not mean another game could not.  SWTOR launched with a lot of fluff, but when you get down to it very little content.  It is an excellent example of a badly written MMO.  Pretty on the outside and empty inside.  Why anyone thought the game was worthy of a subscription funding method is beyond me.

All SWTOR tells us, is that don't waste a lot of resources on fluff.  It was evident from the beginning that Bioware lacked the experience to actually design a MMO, the game plays like their single player games. 

There is plenty of room in the marketplace for a good subscription game that pushes game play over fluff.  Most of these f2p games have little game play beyond endless grinding.  Give me a good subscription game any day.

Originally posted by Telondariel

GW2, Pirates 101 and SWTOR as your top 3?

You just completely discredited yourself, bud.  There is a thing called objective criticism, and it seems that your rose-colored glasses inhibit your use of it.  Is it that the writers on this site are afraid to give honest opinions?  That they fear to scare away the funding these companies hand out to gaming sites to ensure favorable praise and adulations?

This must be a record. Two rose-colored(tinted) references in one thread!

• Maybe it's just me, but if people like SWTOR, Guild Wars 2 or Pirate 101... well, that's OK by me. My list wouldn't have those games, but to each their own.
  • DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

I guess if someone likes a game that another dislikes, they must have rose-tinted glasses...

Originally posted by Dawnstar

I guess if someone likes a game that another dislikes, they must have rose-tinted glasses...

I think you are right.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Axxar
    Maybe it's just me, but if people like SWTOR, Guild Wars 2 or Pirate 101... well, that's OK by me. My list wouldn't have those games, but to each their own.

Hey look! Someone can disagree without telling the other person that they are wrong! If only more people could hold this attitude.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

Junk, Junk, Junk, Junk, Junk

The fact that people review these garbage games is terrible. We shouldn't even accept the fact that they are games let alone mmo's.  

Game devs seriously have to be 80 year old men saying, "this was cool back in my day"

Be sweet when this MMO depression ends. 

• booskAbooskA Member UncommonPosts: 79
    This is the first of the lists where I have foudn every entry non-enjoyable. Did you take bribes when picking your entries or did you just have a poor year gaming?
  • PeskeyPixiePeskeyPixie Member Posts: 24
    There is a developer, Forged Chaos LLC, that is working on a game called Trials of Ascension that has a tone of truly innovative features. They have taken the time to think about the right way to do things in game to make things as challenging as possible but yet keep it as open as possible as well. Go check it out for yourself at www.trialsofascension.com
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Get off his D and write your own list then, im sure there are millions of people out there who are anxiously waiting and anticipating your amazing best games of the year list on your super awesome website. Its just his opinion and having it in writing makes it no more valid than your rants and cries for a better, more elite game world, have a cookie and get over it.
  • mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

Part of SWTor's problem was exactly a lack of fluff, what is fluff voice-acting? The crafting is boring and lacking of fluff items, there are no houses or guild halls, there are lacking decorative vehicles to pilot, there's no ability to fly around in the sky in an open seamless world andyou have to be on the ground in a speedbike training mobs off? 

The planets are tiny, they lack so much that SWG had (.  No cantina action, because no dancer/musician/image designers to buff you in them... 

No cool carpenter house furniture profession because no houses, no cool bio-engineer/beast tamer profession, all of the crafting felt boring and simplistic... 

Couldn't use companions in a group that was a major problem was the companions tied in to your story, and you really missed them being gone when you were in a full group, so that led to a lot of duo parties who wanted to use their 2 companions over 2 living humans for a full group.... 

SWToR Really needs that fluff, people love decorating houses on EQ2, people love carpenters, people used to love buying dif houses on SWG!!! Having vendor droid bots and your own store, your own guild city!! Having a party boat others could ride cruising around? Doing dance/musician missions when you didn't feel like combat? Fully fleshed out world events are a plus as well... Always a major draw for me...