Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm enjoying SWTOR and was kinda surprised to see all the negative posts

ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Yes it is a themebox and yes it is a lot about ultimately collecting gear.  But I'm not unhappy with either of those.  I think it provides nice variety for serveral character classes with unique stories and some unique starting areas.

Game play isn't remarkably complex or unique but seems to work reasonably well and I don't have any real issues.  The game plays out fairly similar to most MMOs till the end game where again it isn't terribly different in that you run dailies, run instances, and do pvp.  all which give some forms of tokens that ultimately are used for better gear.  And then you have some operations (raids) as well for the last tier of upgrades.

Generally the game works fairly well, there are some minor bugs but nothing earthshattering mostly of the irritating nature.

So with all the negative feedback here I'm curious what other MMO out there is better?  I've played most of them and at the moment for just general MMO type gameplay esp if you like starwars this is the best I know of ATM...

---
Ethion

Comments

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by ethion

Yes it is a themebox and yes it is a lot about ultimately collecting gear.  But I'm not unhappy with either of those.  I think it provides nice variety for serveral character classes with unique stories and some unique starting areas.

Game play isn't remarkably complex or unique but seems to work reasonably well and I don't have any real issues.  The game plays out fairly similar to most MMOs till the end game where again it isn't terribly different in that you run dailies, run instances, and do pvp.  all which give some forms of tokens that ultimately are used for better gear.  And then you have some operations (raids) as well for the last tier of upgrades.

Generally the game works fairly well, there are some minor bugs but nothing earthshattering mostly of the irritating nature.

So with all the negative feedback here I'm curious what other MMO out there is better?  I've played most of them and at the moment for just general MMO type gameplay esp if you like starwars this is the best I know of ATM...

This site is fiilled with hard core FANS of MMO's.  I said hard core FANs, not hard core PLAYERS.  What i mean in that is that the people here usually totally hate a game or totally love the game.  So you get lovefests and trolls.  I wouldnt recommend taking any of the comments, good or bad here, too seriously.

• WalicWalic Member Posts: 41
    You just opened up a whole book of trolls to come and trash the game and say their game is better.  I play Swtor and I enjoy it mainly b/c its star wars but I have fun playing and I really don't care what people think b/c unless they are paying me to play it doesn't matter my money not yours don't care what your opinion is. 
  • WalicWalic Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by jerlot65

This site is fiilled with hard core FANS of MMO's.  I said hard core FANs, not hard core PLAYERS.  What i mean in that is that the people here usually totally hate a game or totally love the game.  So you get lovefests and trolls.  I wouldnt recommend taking any of the comments, good or bad here, too seriously.

Very true

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

im glad you found it fun and interesting :3

i totally didnt enjoy the game - didnt get the feeling of it :<

oh well.

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

If you are a fan of Star Wars, have no problem that it isn't SWG 2, enjoy the game, and fully understand what you get for each stage of f2p/Prefered/Sub then you will have a great time.

Some people will tell you that any game is better. Remember!!!! -> that is all personal preferance

Some will tell you tha EA is the devil and you need to stop supporting their games.

Some will say that the f2p model is horrible and you shouldn't even try -> Why not it is free, and if you can live with the limitations that are clearly spelled out to you then you will have fun.

f2p style games I'd recommend to at least try (f2p as is "totally" free unlike GW2 or TSW)

Sci-Fi: Star Trek Online, Not everyone's cup of tea, but it is "hard sci-fi" compared to the Sci-Fantasy of Star Wars.

Fantasy: Lord of the Rings Online is fun, Ability to unlock "cash shop content" by simply playing, although slow you  can progress in the game up till last expansion. Classes are fairly unique, Warden as example.

Apocalyptic: Fallen Earth, I like to bill this as Fallout 3 MMO so many can simply "just relate". Complex crafting You cannot just make a gun, first you have to make all the components then you can make the gun. Semi-FPS style game

Easy Family Game: Pirate 101, not technically "totally" free you can only play for a bit before you have to unlock zones. But it is FUN combat is much like the old Final Fantasy Tactics where your character and the companions appear on a grid and fight "Semi-tactical" battles

I'm currently playing Fallen earth as my tastes have drifted into the apoc realm this month.

Obviously not every game suits the taste of everyone. Some will say Aion, but NcSoft leaves an extremely bitter taste in my mouth. While EA is a "devil company", as they have closed many of the MMO that I've enjoyed over the years, I personally hold nothing against the games they make. Mass Effect is fun. SWTOR is fun.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I like the game, The end game sucks or did , leveling up is  a blast , Ill admit it has to many cutscenes though By the tiem u hit 50 u are tired of all of them 

they should of kept the voice stuff to class story not world arcs. That said alot of people wanted swg 2 or were gw2 fans ripping tor for the fun of ripping on it. 

The game is fun for what it is. I think the fact illum never did live up to its billing as an open world pvp area didnt help either. plus to many players rush to end game in mmo's and when they got there tor didn't have enough at end game to do which made them leave

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

It has the mos limiting , on rails , feel of any major mmorpg I've played.

Combined with their admitted lack of being able to make PVP work (at least they admitted they were clueless on this ) it was a major disappointement.

Invisible walls, on rail areas and leveling path , + worst PVP in any major mmorpg = negative opinion of the game.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by ethion

In red:

A themebox or sandpark implies a mix of sandbox / themepark.  SWTOR is full themepark.  So Yes it is a themepark .. No it isn't a themebox.

The graphics engine doesn't play out like other MMO's.  It's choppy and only works reasonably well when 16 or less players are on screen at once.  It is not an arbitrary number - Ops & WZ's are capped at 16 (8 vs 8 for WZ's).  The graphics engine isn't very good... maybe for an Indie title, but not for a game that cost $300 million to produce + in excess of $800 million for EA to acquire BioWare in 2007 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m-6180818)

Open world combat in Illum was removed because those 20 vs 20 encounters were slideshows (< 1 fps).  WoW had 40 vs 40 in Alterac Valley in 2005'ish, and had NO SUCH ISSUES.  Just sloppy programming with EA / SWTOR from an unsupported version of Hero Engine.  EA bought the engine while it was in alpha and "filled in the rest" (http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/heroengine-meets-starwars/).  The reason why the graphics engine sucks so bad is that it wasn't "COMPLETED" by a commercial graphics company who knew what they were doing.  It was made by EA, who bought the alpha Hero Engine and "filled in the rest" to make a graphics engine that works, but isn't very good.

SWTOR character models were only slightly more than WoW - very limited, so it wasn't graphic models .. it was the graphics engine.  (ie you can't say character models were so intense that they bog down the system - Aion has 100,000 times the character customization and it doesn't bog that game down - you not only get to choose your height but dozens of other features, even the distance between you nostrels, the angle of your eyebrows, etc?? lol - SWTOR to shame).

It all boils down to an awesome IP that got strangled by EA.

One more for the books, I guess.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I'm glad you're enjoying SW:TOR.  You seem like a guy who came into the game with reasonable expectations.  Very few people here did.

As for me, I've played my fill of SW:TOR as it stands.  I've gotten to level 50 and completed the first tier of raiding.  I could go back and do more raiding, but I don't have the time to dedicate to a consistant raid schedule.  Because of that, aside from leveling alts, there's not a lot for me to do in SW:TOR.  

I'm going to wait on the "expansion" before I decide to come back again.  The fact that BioWare expects us to pay for that glorified live update does upset me though.