Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I really need to be leet?

12345679»

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I've always been a crafter.  It's nice to see several games that reward you for doing so.  I loved FFXIV (the old one) because i could sit around town and just craft til my hearts content.  My linkshellmates would bring me items to do crafting with.  I always tend to lean to carpenter, cook, or blacksmith.  This all depends on my character of course.  Humans and the like, I'm always a Carpenter or Cook.  If I can be an orcish or dwarvish type character, I'll be a blacksmith.
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Aeolyn

I choose:

Not so mighty, just so so, I'm an Adventurer, Explorer, Treasure hunter and a Villager with a home and garden to come home to plus a small shop to sell the shrubs, flowers, vines, etc that I cultivate for both house decoration and alchemy needs(poison resist, inks, dyes, etc.) as well as the rare loot I find on my journeys.  Thank goodness there are those who want to be the carpenters, stonemasons, fishers, cooks, armourers, blacksmiths and tinkers etc. as well as defenders of the world I choose to live in, dang pirates are everywhere! :)

You want to sell shrubs and flowers in a GAME?

Wow .. a real world job is not enough? I suppose it is your perogative of what to do in your free-time.

Let's see you look after a permanently disabled spouse 24/7 and then see what you'd like to do in your permanently on call time, time permitting "spare" time ... at least virtual flowers don't smell like what they grow in, not that it's any of your business as you imply.  Plus you totally glossed over the more "manly" main occupation I stated of explorer/treasure hunter, you know, that thing that requires fighting anything along the way as well as hidden dangers around treasure stashes. 

I'd like to know why few seem to support or want to take the time to develop game stuff/fluff that appeals to the other 50% of the population too.  Doubling the profit not worth a little extra development time or dollars or is it one of those "old boys" clubs that are scared of females contaminating their ranks?

• MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77

I choose:

Not so mighty, just so so, I'm an Adventurer, Explorer, Treasure hunter and a Villager with a home and garden to come home to plus a small shop to sell the shrubs, flowers, vines, etc that I cultivate for both house decoration and alchemy needs(poison resist, inks, dyes, etc.) as well as the rare loot I find on my journeys.  Thank goodness there are those who want to be the carpenters, stonemasons, fishers, cooks, armourers, blacksmiths and tinkers etc. as well as defenders of the world I choose to live in, dang pirates are everywhere! :)

Wow .. a real world job is not enough? I suppose it is your perogative of what to do in your free-time.

Let's see you look after a permanently disabled spouse 24/7 and then see what you'd like to do in your permanently on call time, time permitting "spare" time ... at least virtual flowers don't smell like what they grow in, not that it's any of your business as you imply.  Plus you totally glossed over the more "manly" main occupation I stated of explorer/treasure hunter, you know, that thing that requires fighting anything along the way as well as hidden dangers around treasure stashes. 

I'd like to know why few seem to support or want to take the time to develop game stuff/fluff that appeals to the other 50% of the population too.  Doubling the profit not worth a little extra development time or dollars or is it one of those "old boys" clubs that are scared of females contaminating their ranks?

I've watched this behavior with confusion and curiosity for years and I think it stems from a deepseeted belief that you must chose between things. Many people I've met seem to think that when faced with something they need to chose what they want. The possiblity to have both or that they just need to sit back and enjoy whatever, is lost on them. I understand to some degree the need make choices. I cannot however understand the rejection of having the third option "all of the above". The very possibility seems to be rationalized away as too something. So when you propose more than a single type of "main gameplay" you strike a terrified cord within them which tells them your somehow attacking their way of life by not being like them. Not that this behaviors is limited to games. It's all very much the same thing as discrimination against those different from your own set of morals. If they don't want to play like you, your existence will take something away from the way they do want to play. Not having such ideals and behaviors I am forever left perplexed as to why this is. Anyway that's my two cents.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

LIke i said, it is your perogative. You don't have to explain to everyone WHY you like virtual flowers. It is just a preference. And why do you have to bring the "manly" part into the conversation? Are you embarassed virtual flowers are not manly enough? I never said anything about whether it is "manly".

Beacuse there is no "other 50%"? Where do you even get the 50% number? If indeed it will double the profit, don't you think it would already be done. I can tell you what increase profits ... going F2P. That is why it is done all over the place. Devs are not dumb, they know where the money is.

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350

LIke i said, it is your perogative. You don't have to explain to everyone WHY you like virtual flowers. It is just a preference. And why do you have to bring the "manly" part into the conversation? Are you embarassed virtual flowers are not manly enough? I never said anything about whether it is "manly".

Beacuse there is no "other 50%"? Where do you even get the 50% number? If indeed it will double the profit, don't you think it would already be done. I can tell you what increase profits ... going F2P. That is why it is done all over the place. Devs are not dumb, they know where the money is.

Hmm you ask why, that's what a question mark means, but then berate me for answering.  As for the "manly" comment, perhaps my assumption that you are a man(re your wife comment) was incorrect, if so forgive me, but you do seem to imply with your numerous posts that only all out combat is worth not only your time but developers' time, I was simply pointing out that that is not the only "manly" type occupation.

As for the 50%, I stand corrected, females make up more than 50% of the population, at least if you ignore those few countries that still routinely practice femicide and thus skew the charts, and no developers certainly do not seem to take that 50+% into consideration when either making or expanding games.  Again, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the majority of females do not participate in or want to participate in nothing but combat roles, I certainly don't and the two other gamers in my household, although male, do not either.