Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I really need to be leet?

Ahem, ----------- Just because a dragon attacks the town, do I really need to fight it? Is fighting really the only path for mmorpgs? Can I not play a smith or simply prance about with my lute singing everyone else's praises? I just have to wonder why it is that I personally have to fight, to save the world, cant someone else do it? And why can't we decide the worlds not worth saving, to side with whatever master of darkness is currently doomed to fall at the hands of the "heroes". Evil never wins, because winners are always just, not because evil always loses. Just because I live in a fantasy world full of dangers, do I have to be someone special, can't I just be some guy who did what he felt like. Even if I had the skills, weapons or could simply smash those werewolves to death with my fists, does it really fall to me...am I an individual, a person, or am I a train...? Do you think the same?

I would like to make it clear that antihero is supposed to mean opposition, as in opposed to the hero. Slight wording mistake on my part. This thread simply wants to know how people would like to play. Your vote in no way says you only wish to play a single role, it's just the path you most enjoy. All of the above was not an answer for the sake of defining more specific interests, not because it's not a valid way to enjoy virtual life. Ask as many questions as you wish.

The following thread was made in response to questions raised in this one that were not entirely on topic. Please peruse at your leisure.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374696/page/1

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    I like the direction of your thinking.  Let's get more variety in these character occupations!  :)
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I do miss times when we weren't all always playing the same line of advancement.

When i wasn't always trying to be the best pvp ranger in the pvp zone capping objectives like everyone else.

When i could strive to be the best bard, armorsmith, or even interior decorator on the server instead.

Still, I did always choose to strive to be the best pvp ranger in the pvp zone capping the most objectives, but it was by choice! :P

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

My FF14 character is a tailor and a leather worker.

It's what she does.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

epid hero "w00t"!

Though I agree there need to be other viable ways to play these games.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    One reason I like skill based games Not Level based games. Like Pre CU SWG.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Reminds me of UO again lol, my buddy was a Treasure Hunter (map reading and stuff) on one char, and a blacksmith/miner on another. Then he had his swordsmen. Meanwhile, I had another buddy who mastered in workworking/lumberjack... had a theif too and a third that he used as a healer with ghost speak. Then me, I had my mage/tamer, swordsman, theif and my tracker! Tracking was pretty enjoyable at first, but I ended up enjoying taming more. Was fun to go out and tame some mounts for people that they hadn't seen before and sell them at the bank. 
  • You must be leet.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    My weaponsmith in swg did not fire a single shot in months and i could easily play 12 hours a day back then.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    To me, the most fun aspect of any game is exploration. So that is what I picked. But knowledge came in a close second. I love picking up and collecting all the books in TES games. I have them stacked in piles against the walls of my houses because I run out of book shelf space.
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I just play games for fun, I have zero interest in competing with anyone else, meeting anyone else's expectations, racing to endgame or anything else.  If it's fun for me, I'll play.  If it's not  fun, I'll stop.  I don't play these games to be a hero, to get rich, to have 'leet weapons and armor, I play them because I have a good time playing them.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

If a fantasy game let me actually be a bard where I could explore, find rare and hidden stuff and use that as material to compose my own epic verses - and those verses actually *did* something in-game... I'd probably not play any other class! :)

Even Vanguard's song composing feature, as limited as it was (simply stringing effects together) was exciting to me.

Bah, the art of bardery is so neglected in MMOs! :)

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by hercules
    My weaponsmith in swg did not fire a single shot in months and i could easily play 12 hours a day back then.

Jesus...

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299

You left out an option in your poll!

What about the money-hungry, womanizing, perverted asshole, who is only in it for himself. He is incredibly selfish and irresponsible and only driving forces are to be filthy rich and surrounded by lucious babes.

Yet he is a badass and could easily save the world, but chooses not to cause...... well he is a selfish asshole. So the only way the world ends up getting saved is because he accidentally helped while raiding a tomb for treasure, or because he was tricked into doing the right thing by some conspiring do-gooders, or because someone payed him an assload of money.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Amsai

You left out an option in your poll!

What about the money-hungry, womanizing, perverted asshole, who is only in it for himself. He is incredibly selfish and irresponsible and only driving forces are to be filthy rich and surrounded by lucious babes.

Yet he is a badass and could easily save the world, but chooses not to cause...... well he is a selfish asshole. So the only way the world ends up getting saved is because he accidentally helped while raiding a tomb for treasure, or because he was tricked into doing the right thing by some conspiring do-gooders, or because someone payed him an assload of money.

mercenary.

that's what they're called. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bard's_Tale_(2004_video_game)

Its called The Bard:P

Possibly could be a merc, but with the tricking or accidental part, I was really shooting more for reluctant/unlikely hero. hmm?

I actaully like the Bard Tale. But I usually dont associate bards with the irresponsible/unlikely hero type, so much as I do associate it with a class type.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I like the direction of you're thinking OP.  I don't want to be the center of the universe.  I just want to be a tailor with a little shop, selling my wares to whoever finds them appealing. 

I don't have to have the best stat armor, the fastest speeder, the best stat weapons.  I just want the options to be me. To be an invididual living in a world with other people.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    I want to be the dude playing a mean cowbell

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I want to be the guy who puts aglets on shoelaces.  That will make me uber-"leet".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by dave6660
    I want to be the guy who puts aglets on shoelaces.  That will make me uber-"leet".

Holy fuck, I never knew what those were called. Further proof that mmorpg.com provides a wealth of knowledge.

The more you know

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171

This is precisely why the move toward scripted encounters and events is a bad thing. They are played only one way, everything is decided before hand what will happen, the only difference is if you defeat the encounter or not.

In a more sandboxish game, with open pvp, if a giant boss npc with fat loot attacked a town, you might choose not to help the other players, you might choose to pick them off. Play such as this can't go unchecked though, that's why rampant pking should be kept in check that prevents players from randomnly killing each other. Kill a few innocents and you're flagged as a murderer, and this flag means you can't enter npc towns without being killled except for maybe one specific FFA town in the middle of nowhere. That's the price to be paid for becoming a villain.

Hell, in UO you could even be a bard and subdue a monster to stop attacking, or make it attack another monster. No such option exists in todays games.

What I speak off there sounds a lot like what options you had in UO over a decade ago. So sad how choice has been taken out of the players hand and we're all forced down the developers intended path. No wonder people are finally getting sick of this type of mmo being released over and over.

• MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Ortwig

I like the direction of your thinking.  Let's get more variety in these character occupations!  :)

In all honesty I can't seem to think of anything I didn't cover. The focus was less occupations and more "how" you most enjoyed, or would enjoy your game time. If you or anyone else an think of a new facet which I missed then please say so.

Also to the one who associated bards with classes. I do not consider the "bard classes" in games a legitimate representation of bardic playstyle. All classes after all are an outdated crutch mechanic which limit the possibilities and personality of a persons gaming experience. With how much we have progressed I believe we need to shed the old ways the industry has become so entrenched in. I beleive the sad fact is that while some would actually prefer a simple grind on tracks most are simply unable to imagine a better way, while others know somethings wrong, but cannot finds the words or lack the ability and or time to figure such things out.

So now I place my hat into the ring. Whether Anyone likes or accepts my ideas and questions is up to them. I only wish for them to listen, if but for a moment.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by hyllstarter
    One reason I like skill based games Not Level based games. Like Pre CU SWG.

Yes definitely why one of the reason why so many people who played SWG pre NGE still loved and missed SWG.

The fact that you can make an occupation out of non-combat profession and be successful in that enterprise is good for variety and sense of immersion, imo.

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278

The thinking with this article is refreshing to me and given the option to be good,bad or neutral people like options.

i'm sure some players would try siding with the villian over being a constant hero or being neutral and just let everything play out and you do whatever you feel like. 

i'm sure alot of players are so used to sticking with being the hero because thats been the only option for the longest time and if you weren't playing the hero it might conflict with your personal views being the hero for so long. 

atleast thats how i've gone about things almost always play the hero and get tired of saving the world or that princess to this i say screw it burn down the castle and murder that princess and let out a evil laugh as the bad guys win !. :-D

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979