Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is a Sandbox

13»

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    But there is nothing sandbox at all about wow.

If you were to use a themepark with sandbox elements as an example, you would use something like daoc or EQ as an example, not wow

Wow us just about as themepark as you can get, the only obvious game out themeparking it being swtor.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

It is the opposite of a sandbox actually. Here's an example of a sandbox:

http://www.wurmonline.com/

Joined - July 2004

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    The earth is flat, discuss.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

It gets too difficult to try and define a sandbox style MMORPG these days, people sometimes water down the term so much that we have some posters arguing that all MMO's are themeparks, and if you've ever played a more sandbox styled MMORPG you can certainly tell the difference in play style.  (Go try Xyson if you want to see a more extreme example of a sandbox by the way.)

Sure, the lines can be blurry, and you really can't define sandbox style MMO's by the features they may or may not contain, because features (such as quests) can cross the lines for both style of games.

One thing I'm sure of, when I'm in a sandbox style game such as EVE or Xyson, I'm know it and am quite aware of the difference in design approach compared to a more theme park style design such as Aion, a title I recently became reaquainted with over the holiday break.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

WoW

Sandbox Features: 1/10

Themepark Features: 8/10

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

if wow is a sandbox than eve is a beach.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Dauntis
    I don't see why people say a "Hybrid" is impossible.

Can you link to where someone said it was impossible?

While I doubt he is referring to me I have made that claim.

I don't feel a hybrid themepark/sandbox is possible just as I don't feel a hybrid amusement park/roller coaster is possible.

Themepark and Sandbox are two of the various elements that are part of every MMO. Another element is Social. It would be hard to find an MMO that doesn't have some combination of at least the first two elements. Amusingly, in massively multiplayer games, Social is the element that is often so miniscule it almost seems left out but it is usually there in some form.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

This discussion has been closed.