Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is a Sandbox

DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Isn't it? For that matter aren't all MMO's?

I mean if you just ignore the questing and wander around aimlessly.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Comments

• LilanLilan Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by Dauntis

Isn't it? For that matter aren't all MMO's?

I mean if you just ignore the questing and wander around aimlessly.

no

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    don't get them started....
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Is this one of those "the mods are asleep, post ponies" threads?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73

No.

Delete the thread.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    I left borecraft so many years ago.. I care not what it is or will become :) Heck, it is not a sandbox nonetheless, it is a borefest in the worst sense. I'm betting Hello Kitty Online has more integrity then they do :D
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

It's not.

It does have much more freedom than many themeparks today do in terms of progression and how it's defined though, lending to the idea. However, having the ability to "wander around aimlessly" in lowbie zones does not a sandbox make. Just because you can take your character and pretend you're doing whatever you want isn't going to change how the game is designed or the limitations you'll face.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Okay, well maybe the better question is what is a sandbox other than a themepark without questing?

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Okay, well maybe the better question is what is a sandbox other than a themepark without questing?

Now see, here I thought the OP was one of those trying-to-be-funny-and-get-people-to-bite-at-obnoxious-crap kinda OPs.

Shirley you can't be serious?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

A themepark isn't a themepark unless it has a questing type deal moving you in the direction the developers want you to go. A sandbox is an open world with a large variety of features that lets you basically find your own fun through those features and exploring the world as you feel like, with no designated start and end point, aside from levels, skills cap, etc.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    This will be good.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Is that really what you think a sandbox is? When you played in an actual sandbox as a kid did you just sit there doing nothing because no one told you what to do with the sand? No, you made stuff with the sand. It's exactly the same with a sandbox MMO.

A sandbox removes the questing and replaces it with systems that allow the players to create their own fun. That can be through a virtual world simulation, freeform character development systems (i.e. no classes), content creation systems, housing, an incredibly deep economy tied into an incredibly deep crafting system, land ownership, a self-policing open world PvP system (though some have the misconception that sandbox MMOs have to have this when they don't). This list can go on and one.

Essentially a sandbox offers players so many things to do in terms of having fun and pursuing their own goals that they don't need goals pre-determined for them by the devs through linear content.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

read here about open world games and nonlinear gameplay: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

also, read any of the numerous threads on this website discussing the definition of the term "sandbox."

it sounds like you have a lot to learn about the debate, i wish you luck in your endeavors!

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

*Runs to get Popcorn*

While this is obvious Baiting, its still gonna get entertaining.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

No I really don't see the difference. Now, this could be because some games that were supposed to be sandbox weren't really sandboxes or something. So can someone please explain the actual difference, or at least the intended difference.

I was to understand that sandboxes were supposed to be more like "Pirates" if anyone gets that reference... wherein you make your own fun by doing your own thing. What else makes a sandbox a sandbox?

No I really don't see the difference. Now, this could be because some games that were supposed to be sandbox weren't really sandboxes or something. So can someone please explain the actual difference, or at least the intended difference.

I was to understand that sandboxes were supposed to be more like "Pirates" if anyone gets that reference... wherein you make your own fun by doing your own thing. What else makes a sandbox a sandbox?

See, now you're just being silly. You should've created an alt for this thread. I don't see how anyone is going to belive this post coming from a 3-year site vet and "spotlight poster".

This could have been a lot more fun if the OP had been your first post.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

This should help.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

In terms of MMORPGs, no.

It is somewhat similar in nature to free-roaming single player console games that the consolers call sandboxes, but a console sandbox and an MMORPG sandbox are quite different.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Give it another 4 or 5 years and the developers will have expanded the term so much it will include WoW. Then you will have forumgoers defending it as well with quotes from the so called "industry leaders"

You are not wrong, you are just ahead of your time

Originally posted by Starpower

Give it another 4 or 5 years and the developers will have expanded the term so much it will include WoW. Then you will have forumgoers defending it as well with quotes from the so called "industry leaders"

You are not wrong, you are just ahead of your time

Your avatar still creeps me out.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by XAPGames

In terms of MMORPGs, no.

It is somewhat similar in nature to free-roaming single player console games that the consolers call sandboxes, but a console sandbox and an MMORPG sandbox are quite different.

Well, looks like he hooked one.

XAP, it's his bi-annual troll post. SSDY

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3227551#3227551
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3930152#3930152

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WalicWalic Member Posts: 41
    Wow this is sad but ok..........Lets see if this will help, take WoW for example what is the goal in WoW? To level right to run quest and to get to end game content.  In a sandbox game there are not any level just skills, there isn't any quest line more like random mission(I would call it).  A sandbox is open to whatever you want to do their is no direction on what you want and have to do.  Where WoW you have a direction you have to follow you can't get to do certain things without going through those levels.  I really can't explain it anymore then that.
  • ThebozzThebozz Member UncommonPosts: 117
    It is a good point I mean games with basically nothing but a PvP arena and a skill system that is basically just classes in disguise, is called a sandbox.  What makes WoW less sandbox than that?
    Originally posted by Thebozz
    It is a good point I mean games with basically nothing but a PvP arena and a skill system that is basically just classes in disguise, is called a sandbox.  What makes WoW less sandbox than that?

If that had been your first post, I'd have thought the OP had taken my advice.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    If WoW is Sandbox, then Everquest is truely about Quests.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    More and More fish keep biting onto that hook.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

This discussion has been closed.