Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When did it become OK to charge $30 - $50 for a month of premium in F2P?

Comments

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

The "free to play" concept will only advance if the current gamer generation actually support it with all it flaws, but dont think it will stay like it is now...this will get worse in form of more clever marketing strategies.

If the current gamer generation does not refuse this kind of marketing model, the next generation will just grow up with it without the knowledge how mmorpgs did work before. So there is still some kind of power, I dont want to say responsibility, of the current consumer. You decide if such f2p concepts will succeed or not and you can decide how the future will look like.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Aren't the people who are buying thirty to fifty dollars worth of stuff in cash shops doing it of their own free will? I mean, they are choosing to buy the stuff...it's not being forced upon them, right? There are also other games available to play that don't cost nearly as much, yes? So they are choosing to play the expensive games in the first place, right?

I would say it's never not been okay to charge anyone whatever you want to charge them in a game. If people are willing to pay the price you charge, then not only is it okay, it's profitable.

I would be fine with games moving towards B2P rather than F2P myself. I don't know if games will move more in that direction, but it at least seems like a possibility.

** edit **
    Heh. What nariusseldon said.

I agree with lizard and narius on this one.  

Play the ones that have a model you like and let others play the ones that have models they like.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Lately, I've found myself picking up a lot of single player RPGs on STEAM.  I'm seeing the industry slime its way into the single-player "DLC" market as well, but nothing near as pervasive as the hardcore scam tactics behind a "Free-to-Play" business model, with maybe the exception of a few games, such as Mass Effect 3 "ending" and Skyrim's housing 'content patch'.

It seems the entire industry is aiming for a way to fleece its customer base in new and "appealing" ways.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Which MMOs charge more than $20 for premium monthly service?

Fallen Earth's "Commander" monthly is $29.99/mo.

Commander is a VIP tier with three other tiers below it:

• FREE

http://fallenearth.gamersfirst.com/2011/09/free2play-details-and-more.html

A far cry from the OP's claim:

"I'm seeing F2P game after F2P game price gouge the fuck out of "premium services" and "boosters," sometimes for double or tripple the cost of what it would take for a monthly subscription to a P2P game"

You're really going to pitch that level of choice as a bad thing or as price gouging? Some of you will go to some serious lengths to hate on F2P.

I'm sorry Lokto, but you're shifting goalposts there. You specifically asked

"Which MMOs charge more than $20 for premium monthly service"

You don't get to handwave away the example he provided by pointing to the sub-premium services on offer. Yes choice is good. Yes, some "Free" games charge $30 a month for their top tier service.

I'm quite happy with my £50/6months EVE subscription ;)

I don't see how that's shifting the goalpost. His post (quoted above) and the subject line ("When did it become OK to charge $30 - $50 for a month of premium in F2P?") both specifically stated premium service.

Commander is an option meant specifically for guild leaders, not the average player, because the main perks are the leader auras.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TickleMeHomoTickleMeHomo Member Posts: 28
    You guys,the truth  most games going f2p is that they also aim to bigger crowds,wich dont have that cash to waste.Im in eastern Europe and here its just wrong to pay sub fee for any game at all least in my country.Friends i know that payed were only for WoW and that was cause it had very big player base and half of em were playing  private servers and soon those paying joined other who cant. Games like Aion(f2p now)and similar like LOTRO and Rift cant get this country specific player base bcause people dnt got this cash as it goes for more important RL stuff rather than silly games.So f2p games will strive,iv seen how donators own cheap people  but devs learn and adjust their shop,also some people as f2p love when beat a donator in f2p games :).There is quite big wave of f2p titles to come,as some are already  out/Hawken/Mechwarrior/Planetside 2 and saw article EvE aiming that market.P2p wil fail/B2p and F2p are future.Sry for English
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Sogi-Ya
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    I think all the " you don't need to pay that much" posts miss the point. Of course you don't need to pay anything at all. What staggers my imagination is how is even possible to pay that much? At some point don't these companies say "Ok this is just too outrageous?" It's like the joke about selling pencils (or whatever)  for a million dollars each because you only need to sell one.

yeah, and it's biting them in the ass now: notice how few new F2P localizations have come out this year VS last?

there is still just as many upcoming MMO's in Korea that could be localized, but western F2P localizers have poached off too many "Whales" and the return just aren't what they used to be.

Which would suggest that the actual paying customer base for F2P games is finite in the West and may well have peaked (and now be looking only at shrinking at the bubble bursts under the weight of education, buyer remorse, and other elements).

I wonder seriously if 2012/ 2013 will be remembered as the dark days of cash shop that we all look back at and think, ' how the fuck did anyone actually fall for that shit?'.

To me it says there is better competition and they don't need to go through hte hassle and expense of localization.

I think the next few years are when people will remember back when we all used to pay tons for subscriptions and think how the hell did we duped into throwing away that much money away.

The thing is when we were all paying the same £2.50 or whatever a week for our subs it didn't really matter if a small percentage of the player base left because the money was spread out.

But F2P? F2P relies on the whales spending a ton of cash to carry to game for all the freeloaders, and that means all it takes is a small percentage (the spenders) to see the light for the revenue model to fall flat on it's face. It's a house built on straw really. The cash shop F2P market is already showing signs of peaking in the West I think.

As for better competition making it not worth the cost of localisation... I am not sure that theory is very realistic.

Its more likely the difference in cultures (Asian/Western), that is limiting the uptake in the western F2P business model.  Its certainly made some inroads, but only at the expense of alienating quite some number of players.  Having dealt with both extensively over the years, all I really care about is if the game is entertaining. 

But for many in the west, its almost like F2P is against their religion... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I'm pretty sure you don't "have to" pay 30-50$ for your premium.  Those are probably mostly for VIP premium.

You can just pick the normal premium which usually is like 15$ as typical subcription game.

You have to remember the idea of f2p is you target a portion of the players to make them pay more so other people can play for free.  Either way, someone have to pay, so the company can make money.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Sogi-Ya
    I think all the " you don't need to pay that much" posts miss the point. Of course you don't need to pay anything at all. What staggers my imagination is how is even possible to pay that much? At some point don't these companies say "Ok this is just too outrageous?" It's like the joke about selling pencils (or whatever)  for a million dollars each because you only need to sell one.

yeah, and it's biting them in the ass now: notice how few new F2P localizations have come out this year VS last?

there is still just as many upcoming MMO's in Korea that could be localized, but western F2P localizers have poached off too many "Whales" and the return just aren't what they used to be.

Which would suggest that the actual paying customer base for F2P games is finite in the West and may well have peaked (and now be looking only at shrinking at the bubble bursts under the weight of education, buyer remorse, and other elements).

I wonder seriously if 2012/ 2013 will be remembered as the dark days of cash shop that we all look back at and think, ' how the fuck did anyone actually fall for that shit?'.

To me it says there is better competition and they don't need to go through hte hassle and expense of localization.

I think the next few years are when people will remember back when we all used to pay tons for subscriptions and think how the hell did we duped into throwing away that much money away.

The thing is when we were all paying the same £2.50 or whatever a week for our subs it didn't really matter if a small percentage of the player base left because the money was spread out.

But F2P? F2P relies on the whales spending a ton of cash to carry to game for all the freeloaders, and that means all it takes is a small percentage (the spenders) to see the light for the revenue model to fall flat on it's face. It's a house built on straw really. The cash shop F2P market is already showing signs of peaking in the West I think.

As for better competition making it not worth the cost of localisation... I am not sure that theory is very realistic.

Its more likely the difference in cultures (Asian/Western), that is limiting the uptake in the western F2P business model.  Its certainly made some inroads, but only at the expense of alienating quite some number of players.  Having dealt with both extensively over the years, all I really care about is if the game is entertaining. 

But for many in the west, its almost like F2P is against their religion... ^^

It would help a great deal if they quit focusing on their idea of "Westernizing" a game. Translate it, change what you have to and thats it. 

The westernization of many eastern games is in the end what killed the game. The f2p aspect just sped up the process.  

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126

Here's a little secret, "Nothing in life is free."

F2P is just a marketing tool.  At best a game could be free if they use advertising in it somehow to pay for it, but the most common use of the F2P model is the same one crack dealers use.  The first little bit is free to give you a taste, but if you really want the good stuff you gotta pay for it.  The way the F2P model has started shifting, they know some people are willing to get a sub par experience and pay nothing, so now they are making sure they nickel and dime the high end so much it makes up for the low end players.  So while F2P ranges from being almost free and just charging for minimal add ons all the way to basically paying more than a monthly sub would cost, the idea as a whole is just marketing and it's going to end up costing most players the same if not more than the monthly base subscription model did.

Not all who wander are lost...

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    It became OK when louder part of MMO players started to claim that monthly fee of 15 usd for everything is bad and restrictive. Now you either cough out 4-5 times more or grind until your teeth are blue. Never understood people moaning about a few dollars and now we have what we have - f2p shite everywhere requiring you to pay hundreds to be able to enjoy the game.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    It became OK when louder part of MMO players started to claim that monthly fee of 15 usd for everything is bad and restrictive. Now you either cough out 4-5 times more or grind until your teeth are blue. Never understood people moaning about a few dollars and now we have what we have - f2p shite everywhere requiring you to pay hundreds to be able to enjoy the game.

I agree with this mostly.  It is the perception of free that wins out.  Then you think. . hey I could play this for $5 a month. . then it is $10 (still better than $15) and soon you get bored because you won't spend money or you spend more than $15 a month.

This is not true for everyone of course.  For a really casual gamer like myself it is fine.  I can log into LOTRO or Fallen Earth and play a few hours a month at no cost and get the fix I need.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I agree with this mostly.  It is the perception of free that wins out.  Then you think. . hey I could play this for $5 a month. . then it is $10 (still better than $15) and soon you get bored because you won't spend money or you spend more than $15 a month.

This is not true for everyone of course.  For a really casual gamer like myself it is fine.  I can log into LOTRO or Fallen Earth and play a few hours a month at no cost and get the fix I need.

I don't mind b2p or f2p games per se but I prefer choice - I'd prefer my main as a p2p where I get everything for a certain amount of money I pay every month (be it 5, 10, 15, 20 or 25+ usd) and then there can be some b2p games that are not greedy like TSW and GW2. I just hate f2p/p2w shite that requires you to fork out cash for every single pixel.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by shinkan

It's no secret that someone has to pay for the "F2P", its not the rec cross or salvation army we're talking about. but this is what many people wanted and now they got it. The cost of these game to fully enjoy them now is just much more distorted and the real cost can easily be more "hidden".

Its really like with all those low cost / cheap airlines, they have lots of hidden away costs, that make it much harder to calculate the real cost of the product you want/need (seat reservation, extra luggage, etc).

Blame the I want everything for free generation

What generation is this?

Originally posted by Angier2758

It's no secret that someone has to pay for the "F2P", its not the rec cross or salvation army we're talking about. but this is what many people wanted and now they got it. The cost of these game to fully enjoy them now is just much more distorted and the real cost can easily be more "hidden".

Its really like with all those low cost / cheap airlines, they have lots of hidden away costs, that make it much harder to calculate the real cost of the product you want/need (seat reservation, extra luggage, etc).

What generation is this?

Those with an entitlement complex, no matter what their age may be.

I did play some of those p2w f2p games.  And most of people don't pay anything.  Some pay 20-30$ a month.  A few people pay hundreds of doallar a month.  There's a person who paid so much money it is enough to buy a BMW.

That is how things work.  The few people that is paying make the game free to play for the free loaders.

Even GW2 kind of work the same way.  The exception is instead of grinding or paying for power, you are paying for cosmetic.  There are people who paid a few hundreds dollar for fluff item like miniature pet, cool looking skin, etc.  If you want a legendary weapon(which is just a cool looking skin), you need to grind forever, or pay something like 3000$ US.  The few people willing to pay those money are the one making the game free for us. 

Originally posted by laokoko

IThe few people willing to pay those money are the one making the game free for us. 

Free? I don't think any of that is free if you want to enjoy the game. You either make playing a certain MMO a full time job or cough out money. That's why I always prefer p2p MMOs and wonder how people who can afford internet connection cannot afford spending a few usd for games that they want to play.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

What generation is this?

That's every generation except the folks who lived through the great depression.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

World of Tanks and War Thunder (in beta, but I believe prices are final) are doing it right:

WoT: 1 month premium - 10 euros

War Thunder: 1 month premium - 10 euros, 3 months - 20 euros etc

What generation is this?

That's every generation except the folks who lived through the great depression.

Good parts of each, but hardly everyone in each generation.  But it does seem that each generation has a higher percentage.

IThe few people willing to pay those money are the one making the game free for us. 

Free? I don't think any of that is free if you want to enjoy the game. You either make playing a certain MMO a full time job or cough out money. That's why I always prefer p2p MMOs and wonder how people who can afford internet connection cannot afford spending a few usd for games that they want to play.

Not everyone need the most powerful equipment, the best looking skin, every single pet, everything unlock to enjoy the game.  They just enjoy whatever the free part is.  That is especially true for casual player.  For hardcore player, they grind so much, that most of the time they can play for free anyway.

And follow up on the new generation.  Why do you need everything to enjoy yourself. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder. And of course people are having fun playing F2P games .. otherwise why would they be doing it?

You can't have fun != others cannot.

In fact, i had lots of fun playing F2P MMOs. Oh, it is not that i cannot afford a sub .. but why would i when i can have fun for free .. that is the beauty of competition.

Originally posted by Zekiah
    At some point don't these companies say "Ok this is just too outrageous?"

A corporate board room with a conscience? I think not.

Their goal is to bleed customers (us) out of every stinkin' cent they can get away with. Consider what might happen to board room members that question the greed machine with terms like "outrageous" and you'll have your answer.

Conscience? No, it's a cold calculation. Reputation has market value. That's the thing corporation haters forget, they're ultimately rational or they fall.

In theory.  Matters get quite a bit different in a crony capitalist system, such as exists in the US and many other countries.

Also "rational" has different meanings, in different contexts.

Reputation *does* have great value, but that can be over ridden by government favors. Look at Comcast, which is consistently rated one of the most hated companies in the US. But that doesn't keep it from being very profitable, thanks to its monopoly status in way too many markets.

That doesn't really apply to gaming companies. Also even Comcast is beginning to feel the push back in many localities. When you do stupid things technology provides answers to underserved media markets. It just takes time. Politicians will likewise turn on their "friends" in a heartbeat if it suits their momentary purpose.

Also, it is about competition. Comcast has zero competition in many markets, which is, of course totally opposite in the gaming industry. Competition is in abundance.

That is why iphone games are $4.99 or less. That is why many MMOs are F2P.

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

If you really want to see what true gouging looks like, take a gander at the genre of MMORTS.

I assure you, you'll never see people spend more money on a game than that. I remember playing one years ago. Clash of the Kingdoms, and there were people dropping thousands of dollars at a time for CHANCES at premium generals, premium mounts, weapons, etc, and then spending even MORE money on things like exp bonuses, build rate bonuses, build space, etc.

Seriously, if you want to see how much WORSE it can be, take a leap over to www.koramgame.com and try it out (it's "free" to play, in the sense that if you want ANYTHING good, you'll be spending money, period)

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

Originally posted by Cymdai

If you really want to see what true gouging looks like, take a gander at the genre of MMORTS.

I assure you, you'll never see people spend more money on a game than that. I remember playing one years ago. Clash of the Kingdoms, and there were people dropping thousands of dollars at a time for CHANCES at premium generals, premium mounts, weapons, etc, and then spending even MORE money on things like exp bonuses, build rate bonuses, build space, etc.

Seriously, if you want to see how much WORSE it can be, take a leap over to www.koramgame.com and try it out (it's "free" to play, in the sense that if you want ANYTHING good, you'll be spending money, period)

What you call gouging, i call free market. Surely i won't play the game you just linked .. but once again, if they are successful in luring people spending thousand of dollars, more power to them.

For me, i have other games to play.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

What you call gouging, i call free market. Surely i won't play the game you just linked .. but once again, if they are successful in luring people spending thousand of dollars, more power to them.

For me, i have other games to play.

Until all the other games start doing the same thing.  We are witnessing the homogenization of the MMO market.  Things are still up in the air because companies are still testing what players are willing to spend and how to manipulate their games to increase spending.  F2P gives companies options on how to charge which makes for a better system to manipulate.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong but games will start costing the same everywhere and their will be tiered pricing (already happening in f2p).

It happens in every market.  Think of what you spend on cable, internet, cell phones; pretty much everything that is widely consumable.