Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People and Their Failure to Join in With Their Community

13»

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Making friends is easy. Joining a guild is easy.

However, MMOs are entertainment products. I don't see why players "should do this" or "should do that". Everyone "should" enjoy games as they see fit.

If someone wants to play a MMO solo, and not socialize .. hey .. why not. It is his time. If he thinks it is fun, there is no reason why he shouldn't just because you think it is not. 

People agree with that, they are just asking for a couple games to NOT be like that. You don't seem to think its okay for something to be a bit different than the rest. 

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by madazz

People agree with that, they are just asking for a couple games to NOT be like that. You don't seem to think its okay for something to be a bit different than the rest. 

There's nothing wrong with being different, but in order for a company to make something different, it has to make money and the games you seem to favor just aren't that popular.  Developers have to please their investors and that means going with a product likely to provide the highest possible return on investment.

That's how business works.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Here is a new years resolution for some of you:

Don’t be so cynical about other players and join in. People are not that bad. Honest. :)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

However, MMOs are entertainment products. I don't see why players "should do this" or "should do that". Everyone "should" enjoy games as they see fit.

If someone wants to play a MMO solo, and not socialize .. hey .. why not. It is his time. If he thinks it is fun, there is no reason why he shouldn't just because you think it is not. 

Certainly it is ok. Diversity in games is never bad. I just don't like people saying what MMO "should be like", and what players "should be doing".

If you do like socializing in a game, and there is a game allowing that, more power to you. Just don't expect me to play.

Originally posted by Scot

Don’t be so cynical about other players and join in. People are not that bad. Honest. :)

I like the "join in" part. I am never cynical. In fact, with today's ease of quitting, there is little reason not to join in and try. If you find a group not to your liking, hit th quit button.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Certainly it is ok. Diversity in games is never bad. I just don't like people saying what MMO "should be like", and what players "should be doing".

If you do like socializing in a game, and there is a game allowing that, more power to you. Just don't expect me to play.

I can see where you are coming from, but I say meet them half way. When they are creating a thread it is just an opinion of what their version of an MMO should be like. I don't think anyone is saying that your tpye of socializing in an MMO is wrong though. And if they are, well that is just wrong. Im very vocal in the type of MMO's I like, but I still play many of the other types out there anyways, and probably always will. So in perspective, I guess there are people who want a different form of socializing as the other version just isn't compatible with them. Ah well. There will always be those crossover games such as PS2.

I can see where you are coming from, but I say meet them half way. When they are creating a thread it is just an opinion of what their version of an MMO should be like. I don't think anyone is saying that your tpye of socializing in an MMO is wrong though. And if they are, well that is just wrong. Im very vocal in the type of MMO's I like, but I still play many of the other types out there anyways, and probably always will. So in perspective, I guess there are people who want a different form of socializing as the other version just isn't compatible with them. Ah well. There will always be those crossover games such as PS2.

I will "meet people half way" if they state their opinions as such (like what you did), and be civil. I don't think i need to hide my disdain for those who use "dumb down", and other insulting language just because someone else has a different preference.

PS2 is a pretty good game .. and fit well with those who want instant action, as well as those who want some social & group strategizing. There are very few big battle games like that though. Even WOT, which is very popular, is based on small battle in small maps.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

People are cynical by nature.

The very fact that you have a topic like this assuming it is people's social skills rather than other factors is just one of many examples found on this forum alone showing as much.

Not to mention the amount of posters that agree with the premise without questioning or debating the matter. Kind of disturbing really if you think about it

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

People are cynical by nature.

The very fact that you have a topic like this assuming it is people's social skills rather than other factors is just one of many examples found on this forum alone showing as much.

Not to mention the amount of posters that agree with the premise without questioning or debating the matter. Kind of disturbing really if you think about it

There is even a technical term for it. It is called Sinister Attribution Bias (or error). It is pretty well documented, and have a huge scientific literature on the subject. 

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

if people invite me to parties to finish quests or invite me to a guild for end-game content why not

as long as they are respectful fun and just want to have a good time then im all for it :3

one feature i liked in wow was the dungeon queue - you can queue solo and the system automatically queues you up with other people that have almost the same specifications as you. you dont have to spam trade chat looking for pugs heh

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com