Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't understand the general consensus on this forum...

It seems like no matter what thread you pick, no matter what the topic is, there's atleast 2 people saying how much WoW sucks, or when someone says "This game looks alright.", someone says "It looks like a game for WoW players!"

It's almost become a derogatory term, as if playing Rift or SWTOR (two games eerily similar to WoW that noone likes to admit) makes you a better person or something. Its like WoW is a scapegoat in place of someone saying "a bad game" they say "WoW-clone".

Now, I won't butter it up, i've been playing MMO's since a little ways after Ultima Online launched, and quite honestly, until somebody does something drastically different that changes the industry, I'm going to keep playing WoW. Nobody in the last 5 or so years has done anything dramatically different, it's still all the same formula. Regardless of whether WoW is the "bandwagon" game according to many of you, you really can't argue it's overall scope crushes 90% of the MMO's out there. Some of these MMO's i see getting released have a level cap at 40, 8 or 9 zones, Warrior, Thief, Mage, Cleric as their only classes and no other even close to redeeming features, yet even then people will play these games over WoW. 

You can all tell me how I'm less of a gamer for playing it now if you like, just giving my two cents.

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    From my observations, most of us here are just grumpy because we like MMOs just not any of them that are out now. The hate for WoW comes from WoW being so successful that instead of getting new games devs keep reskinning WoW and reselling it. It's not that WoW is bad, it's that WoW has over-influenced the market.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I think WoW is a terribly fine game. I enjoyed it for a couple of years.

I think copying WoW isn't cheap, a lot of WoW-clones boasted some crazy budgets right?

I think tho' that it's all old hat and boring.

That's what I feel the general consensus is, and different people have a variety of ways they choose to express that feeling.

a yo ho ho

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

The game had such an impact on the genre that it has become a very polarizing subject.  The crowd here, I think, is pretty diverse.  We get some people that love and hate WOW.  I think I'm in the minority in that I could take it or leave it.  I recognize it's huge impact and subsequent influence, but it's a mediocre game for me at this point. 

I have had an absolute blast playing the game, vanilla was fun, BC and the beginning of WOTLK will always be a great memory for me.  I just don't care for the direction the game is heading.  A lot of people do, and love it or hate it, it is a very polished game, with some of the best game play ever. 

The success that the game has enjoyed will always keep it as a very polarizing game.  Just like anything really, the more people that love it, some people are going to hate it.  That same success is also going to spawn imitations.  That's just how things go.  That influence just makes everyone's opinions stronger.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I never thought WoW was a bad game.  In my personal opinion, they've simply gone in a direction that doesn't make me want to play anymore... but being compared to WoW is not always a negative thing because of WoW itself, but because of the familiarity and overuse of some of its key features.  People are tired of a lot of standard MMO conventoins.

Then again, when anything new is introduced, they still complain.  I just shrug at the whole thing.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    It should be pointed out that everyone pretty much admits that Rift was a WoW clone.  A well done one with some interesting features, but even it's fans understand that.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by grimfall
    It should be pointed out that everyone pretty much admits that Rift was a WoW clone.  A well done one with some interesting features, but even it's fans understand that.

"You're pretty much in Azeroth again"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by rikarus92

It seems like no matter what thread you pick, no matter what the topic is, there's atleast 2 people saying how much WoW sucks, or when someone says "This game looks alright.", someone says "It looks like a game for WoW players!"

You're a member of the Sandbox Militia, or The Enemy.

On weekends we dig trenches and erect razor wire.  You just sort of get used to it, because it's been a daily event for years.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Rift is not the first either. For the AAA games of the top of my head:

AoC: WoW with "mature" setting and action-esque combat

Rift: WoW with dynamic events

Aion: WoW with wings

SWTOR: WoW with lightsabers

WAR: WoW with moar PvP

etc. etc.

The problem is that when a game tries to step outside the WoW zone like TSW or FFXIV did, they fail. Now, neither of these games failed because they weren't WoW clones, they failed because they didn't deliver entertainment. The problem is that other publishers see this and start to think straying away from the WoW formula is too risky. 

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281

I personally agree that vanilla wow was one of the best games I have played; and blaming WOW for the fact it is copied shamelessly and repeatedly (thus making the mmo genre rather tired and samey) is a little odd, but I can understand why people do.

By the by, I am aware that wow is a rip-off of earlier games as well before anyone feels the need to correct me. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    The thing is for many WoW was their first and you never forget your first anything. It colours everything after it.

• bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36

Wow is a great game.  I beta tested it, and played it off and on a few times over the years.

The problem is, there are millions of people playing it, and the general attitude I have experienced overall, has been immature and arrogant.  This doesn't mean that EVERYONE who plays WoW is arrogant or immature, it just has more of them, because there are more people playing it.  Also keep in mind, mature, nice people usually don't run around broadcasting nice things, or going out of their way to help people, they usually just stick to themselves.

What comes to mind when I say "Barrons Chat" ?

If I were to say a 'Diablo Clone' it is just an easy way to describe the type of game play you could expect, is similar to the game 'Diablo'.  If that is good or bad, is your opinion.  So when someone says 'WoW Clone' and they mean it in a negative way, they are probably remembering some bad experience they had on WoW.

Most 'hard core' mmo players, come from games like UO, DAoC, EverQuest, Shadowbane, Asherons Call, etc.  They weren't filled with fru-fru game mechanics.  You played those games for intense PvP action, where you only survived if you were skilled.  If I had to make a comparison...  It is like Las Vegas vs Disney Land.

In the end, if you like it, then that is all that matters.  Don't let the opinions of other people effect your game play experience.  If someone looks down on your for playing WoW, I think it speaks volumes about thier own maturity and inadequacies.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

People like  to be taken seriously.

Mention you played UO or say you outgrew WOW years ago.

This makes your opinion more important than the general population.

• War_MachineWar_Machine Member Posts: 22
    Wake up.

Get busy living, or get busy dying. That's it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

You can all tell me how I'm less of a gamer for playing it now if you like, just giving my two cents.

Why would you care if someone graded your "gamerness"? Or even why would you care if someone called you a gamer?

Since when was "gamer" some lofty vaulted thing to be?

In any case, play what you want, never even consider the opinions of others unless you are looking for some sort of consensus. Most people are more interested in telling you what you can and can't do.

Don't give them power.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Muppetier

People like  to be taken seriously.

Mention you played UO or say you outgrew WOW years ago.

This makes your opinion more important than the general population.

Humm well, maybe ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

I kinda have to agree with a few of the posters.

Wow in its self as a game really isn't bad but it has overly saturated the market with to many like ideas

on the other hand the wow term has been used as a put down more so imo because of the community of wow. They are not known for there friendly or helpful players but more for trolling or "picking" on other players. 

just my two cents

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Since when did there need to be any type of consensus on a forum?  That doesn't like fun.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    People think AAA MMORPG automatically equals WoW Clone. This is especially true if it has a story and quests.
  • BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

WoW and and wow-clones have simply become the poster child of the bureaucracy in the genre.

This concept is not new, it happend even way back, with muds.

The game begins as a mess created to deliver fun, casters oneshot eachother, healers heal to full with one spell, warriors instagib things with their Fiery Axe of Doom and so on.

Then a generational exchange happens, the old devs are gone, new devs operate around spreadsheets and balance, they determine the Fiery Axe of Doom has 70% more dps than anything else and nerf it, they change the rng of caster spells so that they dont oneshot anyone, healers get shafted too.

The game becomes more balanced, sometimes even more fair, but in most cases also less fun, sometimes boring, sterile.

This fractures the players, one group is disappointed, the other embraces this new balance by numbers idea with a religious fervor.

Conflicts, flames and drama starts.

Then a clone comes around that copyes the current state, not the fun broken one, resulting in more drama, conflict and confusion, because the beancounters have no idea why the game is not as good as the older one.

Flame on!

:)

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by skeaser

Rift is not the first either. For the AAA games of the top of my head:

AoC: WoW with "mature" setting and action-esque combat

Rift: WoW with dynamic events

Aion: WoW with wings

SWTOR: WoW with lightsabers

WAR: WoW with moar PvP

etc. etc.

The problem is that when a game tries to step outside the WoW zone like TSW or FFXIV did, they fail. Now, neither of these games failed because they weren't WoW clones, they failed because they didn't deliver entertainment. The problem is that other publishers see this and start to think straying away from the WoW formula is too risky. 

Please enlighten me and tell me how TSW failed? 

• KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593

WoW in itself is not inherently bad. It's a great game for the people it caters to, and I enjoyed vanilla WoW until they (in my opinion) destroyed everything that was good about it.

However, people attribute things to WoW because it was THE game that changed the MMO genre, and for many of us, we strongly believe for the much worse.

There are people who like sandbox MMOs that are player driven, and there are people that like themepark MMOs that are more like WoW.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

To me, a lot of these people that complain about WoW left and right, that use "WoW clone" like they are breathing, that complain of how it "ruined" MMOs, are showing me that they are just as unoriginal as the game they claim is the ruination of this entire genre.

It reminds me of the people that can't stop crying about SWG... Things change, no game will stay forever. If you don't like something why do we need to hear about it in every other post in every single thread?

Tiresome.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

It's almost become a derogatory term, as if playing Rift or SWTOR (two games eerily similar to WoW that noone likes to admit) makes you a better person or something. Its like WoW is a scapegoat in place of someone saying "a bad game" they say "WoW-clone".

The highlighted portion seems like a very sneaky way for you to do the same thing you accuse others of doing on this forum, don't you think?

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

The interesting thing is that often the most vocal people who like to bash WoW are also the same people who claim they "never played that kiddie trash" or "only got to level 30 before I was too bored to go on" ...

Apparently they think that someone with little or no experience with WoW should be the mouthpiece for The People to unite behind in their fight against the MMO behemoth!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Welcome to MMORPGSANDBOX.com

As sickening as the love for all things sandbox is here, the hate for anything different from WoW themepark is even worse.  Things like GW2 and ESO are huge setbacks to the genre according to the folks here.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!