Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUST 514 -xpowderx's Day 1 play review.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Where to start? After reading so many comments from our EVE base, I am not sure saying something good is warranted. But ill start with the beginning.

For those not familiar with Dust514 here it is.

Dust514 is a console game exclusively on the Playstation 3.  As for me I got Dust 514 as part of a bundle pack with my PS3 at christmas.

What is Dust 514, Well its a mix of mmorpg skilling and a first person shooter. It is placed in the EVE universe and follows many of the same precepts. Just like with EVE, losing a big item is costly.

Day 1: My first day I spent a good hour downloading Dust 514 as it is off the Playstation Network. It is about 6 gigabytes of memory on your system. After the download I clicked on the Dust 514 in my game menu on my PS3 and this is what I saw.

The introduction to the game was visually spectacular. This game has a very good introduction and as in EVE a pretty decent tutorial. By the way, I was impressed by CCP's intro to this game. My wife thought I was watching a movie.

My first character. As with EVE, many races and classes are the same as EVE. Galliente, Amarr, Caldari, Minmotar. I decided to make a Minmotar Brutor. Instead of ships as in EVE. You get what are called dropsuits. They are set up in the same way EVE ships are. Each style and tech holds so many types of slots. And the suits come in a large variety offering different roles as in EVE. There are many items in the market as in EVE. Starting out, most you cannot use. Many you cannot afford.I wouldnt recommend it anyways. That brings me up to the next area I wish to talk about.

Skill's!!! As in EVE, Dust514 follows the same format. You have to train a skill to use a particular item or upgrade. My recommendation for those new players! Use your starter suit's til they are gone! You get 50 of each type(scout,tactical/engineer,medic, assault ect: They are effective in combat and lets you get familiar with Dust's combat at a minimal cost. It also allows you to save ISK to buy important skills and dropsuits. As well as items, upgrades, enhancements.

Skills follow the same format as EVE. Except at the end of a battle you get a bonus of Skill points depending on how effective you are. There are boosters for skill points that allow you gain extra. Both passive and combat. I use the 7 day passive booster so even if im not playing I still gain SP,s.

Now to combat!

What can I say! CCP did a really good job on this. As in EVE,everything you go into combat with you can lose. Why I recommended going through your starter gear initially. Today I saw a corp in action. Had to fight against them. We lost the battle, but took out 3 tanks along the way. I would say it cost them alot more than it cost us. As for me, im a long way from having the skill to operate one. Let alone have bought some to use in battle.

Battle in Dust514 is strategic, tactical, and brutal. This part reminds me of EVE ohh so much! Skilled players have a advantage. But they still die as you do. Today I fought a Caldari player who had a handheld scatter launcher. Owe it hurt and couldnt escape if you were in the open.

The combat in Dust is incredible at moments. Always fun! As I said CCP made this part AWESOME!

I am glad I got a PS3 for christmas. Population for Dust514 is very good. I played continuously throughout the day on saturday. Never a waiting moment!

I have vent, so now just need a vent only corp!

Now to the review part.

Graphics: This shines heavily as its on a ps3. I give it a 10 out of 10 graphically.

Gameplay: This part I am giving a 8 out of 10. Just as in EVE, skilled players have a definite advantage, especially if they have the gear with that skill and proficient. But overall still worth it! As I know someday ill go into battle with a array of advanced weaponry, equipment and vehicles! Also choosing the right skillset can be a bit confusing for a new player. Just like EVE :-D

Population: 9-10, this title is still growing. Todays battle ques were continuously full. Even at the wee hours of the morn!

Overall rating 9 out of 10. This game is very good for a console system game. It  reminds me of two older titles. One on console, one on PC. Its like playing Armored Core on steroids with a mix of Mechwarrior gearing. All set in the huge and dynamic EVE universe! For a game that is part mmo, and part FPS I am quite satisfied.

I recommend this game for any player who has a PS3. I will do my best to keep this updated. Am usually very busy! Hope you enjoyed!

P.S To my disgruntled fellow EVE players. Give CCP a chance. This game now is nothing like the beta testers talked about. Pretty streamlined atm. Pretty darn fun too!

Comments

• skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47
    I agree, I remember downloading the game very early on in the beta phase, it was very laggy/glitchy and not very nice graphically. They have made steady progress and the game has really became a good game.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    One quibble - how can this be a "Day 1 review" when Dust isn't even in open beta yet?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    One quibble - how can this be a "Day 1 review" when Dust isn't even in open beta yet?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation-3-250GB-Uncharted-3-Game-of-the-Year-Bundle/21834944

Actually, I would not consider it beta anymore.  All PS3s with this bundle pack come with Dust 514 and 20000 Aurum :-D

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

10/10 graphically?

Seriously?

It isn't 10/10 even on PS3, much less if comparing to PC titles.

Good idea, but needs to be ported to hardware from this decade. Pronto.

Originally posted by tom_gore

10/10 graphically?

Seriously?

Well tom_gore.  I also have Skyrim for the PS3. I consider Dust514's graphics better than that title. You also have to consider that Dust514 runs on EPIC's Unreal graphics engine/technology. Which is vastly superior to many of the other graphics engines out there. I am not saying its the best engine. But in Dust 514 even the lighting of a sun on a planet can make life difficult in-game if you happen to be aiming in the direction of that sun. The visuals for that dark, surreal EVE planet/planets in its universe is outstanding.

Originally posted by xpowderx

10/10 graphically?

Seriously?

Well tom_gore.  I also have Skyrim for the PS3. I consider Dust514's graphics better than that title. You also have to consider that Dust514 runs on EPIC's Unreal graphics engine/technology. Which is vastly superior to many of the other graphics engines out there. I am not saying its the best engine. But in Dust 514 even the lighting of a sun on a planet can make life difficult in-game if you happen to be aiming in the direction of that sun. The visuals for that dark, surreal EVE planet/planets in its universe is outstanding.

And have you by any chance tried Skyrim on a PC with some graphic mods installed?

What score would you give that, if DUST is 10/10? 20?

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222

10/10 graphically?

Seriously?

And have you by any chance tried Skyrim on a PC with some graphic mods installed?

Of course games look better on hardware from 2012, then on a console almost 10 years old...

What you don't seem to understand is that this discussion is about a ps3 game, so who cares how something looks on pc?

It will prolly look better on a xbox720 and ps4 too, suprise....

Originally posted by Dilweed

10/10 graphically?

Seriously?

Of course games look better on hardware from 2012, then on a console almost 10 years old...

What you don't seem to understand is that this discussion is about a ps3 game, so who cares how something looks on pc?

It will prolly look better on a xbox720 and ps4 too, suprise....

That's why I was asking the OP what he was comparing the game against when he gave the graphics 10/10. I wouldn't even agree on 10/10 if he compared it to other PS3 games, but I guess it's subjective. Comparing it to games in general and giving it 10/10 would be... delusional?

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

That's why I was asking the OP what he was comparing the game against when he gave the graphics 10/10. I wouldn't even agree on 10/10 if he compared it to other PS3 games, but I guess it's subjective. Comparing it to games in general and giving it 10/10 would be... delusional?

Its a PS3 only title. Comparing it to anything but other PS3 titles would make no sense. It would be kinda like "Oh, yeah, Farcry 3 is nice, but you know the Sistine Chapel still looks much better so i give it 3/10...

Apples/Oranges.

Originally posted by hfztt

Its a PS3 only title. Comparing it to anything but other PS3 titles would make no sense. It would be kinda like "Oh, yeah, Farcry 3 is nice, but you know the Sistine Chapel still looks much better so i give it 3/10...

Apples/Oranges.

And yet DUST doesn't even deserve 10/10 on PS3, but again, subjective.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation-3-250GB-Uncharted-3-Game-of-the-Year-Bundle/21834944

Actually, I would not consider it beta anymore.  All PS3s with this bundle pack come with Dust 514 and 20000 Aurum :-D

Aurum yes, Dust... no. It hasn't been released yet, it's not even in open beta AFAIK.

Aurum yes, Dust... no. It hasn't been released yet, it's not even in open beta AFAIK.

I would not consider it beta. But then again I would not consider it open either. One of my best friends has a PS3 long before me. He cannot download Dust unless he buys the mercenary pack. And dont tell me what my PS bundle comes or doesnt come with. I have both a 7 day active and a 7 day passive booster going. Am playing "Skirmish" missions alot. And do talk to a friend in voice who lives in Australia. They introduced 4 new maps this past week.

There is no NDA. There are alot of people playing. Including me! That said, June 28th is the open free version of the game. You can still get a key at the Dust website. They will send it via mail. As well as getting it free with any PS3 Unchartered bundle pack! You may also(if you dont want to get your key) pay the 20 dollars for the Dust mercenary pack.

Before responding like you know what you are talking about. You could at least have the common courtesy to actually have played the game as well as done a little research. Thanks, but no thanks!

CCP seem to think that it's still in beta, why don't you take it up with them?

From tuesday's devblog: http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=74180

"On Thursday the 10th of January, following a slightly longer than usual scheduled downtime, we will be migrating over players currently participating in the DUST 514 closed beta from Singularity to Tranquility."

What was that you were saying about "common courtesy", by the way?

• LogsdonbLogsdonb Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I can believe the OP.  I dont have a PS3 but I have been playing Planetside 2, which is similar in many ways.  Very large numbers of infantry with diferent gear and many types of vehicles as well as airplanes all fighting at the same time.  The experience is exhilirating.  Its kind of like participating in the Battle of Hoth in Star Wars.  There is so much going on around you, its hard to take it all in and sometimes just sitting back and watching everything going on is overwhelming.  There is no question that this type of immersive, comprehensive, battle sim type of experience has a lot of potential.  The key is scaling it up to hundreds of players at one time in one location.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    I'd write a bad review of DUST 514, but I haven't earned the 250,000 skill points to get Critical Reviews to Level 5.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

From tuesday's devblog: http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=74180

"On Thursday the 10th of January, following a slightly longer than usual scheduled downtime, we will be migrating over players currently participating in the DUST 514 closed beta from Singularity to Tranquility."

Ummm No.  That is only moving the pre-launch test sever char to the post launch test server.  Tranquility is the test server that is no different than numerous and countless MMOs test servers where they offer character copies to the test server.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Ummm No.  That is only moving the pre-launch test sever char to the post launch test server.  Tranquility is the test server that is no different than numerous and countless MMOs test servers where they offer character copies to the test server.

I thought Singularity was the test server and Tranquility is the live server. It has to integrate with the live server so there is no contradiction in running a beta of DUST on the live EvE server.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Um sorry but that is incorrect. Tranquility is in fact the live game server and yes the game is still in closed beta until the 22nd of january.