Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013?

2»

Comments

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

hmmm...thinking the money hungry mind of EA maybe they want to make a Mass Effect mmo (an unmined IP atm).

So my prediction is this: they want to make ME mmo started in 2013.

(not that i want it, concider it what they did with few games)

My real hopes are this ones: Blade&Soul, Archeage

Others are in my radar: TESO, DayZ(stand alone)

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Teala

Will 2013 be the year when MMO's come of age and we see a new model born of a more refined hybrid type MMO that finally brings us the best of both worlds in the form of a sandbox/themepark game?

Don't hold your breathe.

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171

Surpised people arn't all over Defiance, since it has no levels, just ability upgrades, aswell as your skills which improve as you use them.

And it's an mmo shooter, and made by a triple A company with a large investment.

It's something a bit different than the wow clones that people are constantly bitching about, yet nobody is interested. Be interesting to see how people change their tunes when beta events begin in january.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Here's hoping 2013 will be a good year for MMOs!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by evemaster00

Surpised people arn't all over Defiance, since it has no levels, just ability upgrades, aswell as your skills which improve as you use them.

And it's an mmo shooter, and made by a triple A company with a large investment.

It's something a bit different than the wow clones that people are constantly bitching about, yet nobody is interested. Be interesting to see how people change their tunes when beta events begin in january.

Not everyone enjoys or are good at shooters which explains the lack of interest.  Although the demographics are probably changing as more and more younger people are playing MMOs, I still think most of the MMO market don't particularly like shooters in their MMO.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    I don't think it will be a bad year, but I can't prove the opposite either.  There are some promising games on the horizon, but none of them have really announced concrete release dates yet.  Here's to hoping that we get some good games to play!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    "Titan" is supposedly coming out in Q4, so my hopes are high.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

I'm hoping for AoC with TSW B2P model, AO with new engine and rebalance, EQN (no release but info), PreCU SWG.

2013 might turn out good. For games at least >.>

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    2013 is ahaping up to be a pretty bland year of releases based on what we know "right now" in my opinion. There are no big budget blow your socks off MMORPGs on the horizon. None at all. Sure, you have TESO under a fan cloud of disgust already and Wildstorm (an interesting title but one that wouldn't make so many headlines any other year) and that's kind of it when it comes to any kind of title with a real budget, big studio, or even a recognized name.  I guess all those other big budget one month wonders finally caught up with us and the industry too as people just aren't willing to heavily invest in MMOs for the foreseeable future. Never mind how bad some of those games really were... It's liable to be the year of low budget, free to play, grinders if anything.

I suppose 80 million dollar mmo by the creator of rift isn't big budget then.

Nope. I understand why you mention it though and forgive your uppity ways. ;) I just don't know what to make of Defiance yet or how many dollars went to the TV show and how many to the game and how many to the other media sources to call it on budget or even actual content it brings to my PC. Is it a real RPG or a third person shooter MMO with skill points and PVP produced to hype next week's TV episode for SyFy or next month's book or whatever? I am kind of confused about it rather than hyped and need to see more from the involved parties before reaching a conclusion.

However, I grant them this. It's an interesting idea to build a franchise with all these platforms and media formats. You'd think SWTOR would have been smart enough to capitalize on the IP in a similar way. Trion was thinking outside the download on this one by tying game events into the various media series. 

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171
    2013 is ahaping up to be a pretty bland year of releases based on what we know "right now" in my opinion. There are no big budget blow your socks off MMORPGs on the horizon. None at all. Sure, you have TESO under a fan cloud of disgust already and Wildstorm (an interesting title but one that wouldn't make so many headlines any other year) and that's kind of it when it comes to any kind of title with a real budget, big studio, or even a recognized name.  I guess all those other big budget one month wonders finally caught up with us and the industry too as people just aren't willing to heavily invest in MMOs for the foreseeable future. Never mind how bad some of those games really were... It's liable to be the year of low budget, free to play, grinders if anything.

I suppose 80 million dollar mmo by the creator of rift isn't big budget then.

Nope. I understand why you mention it though and forgive your uppity ways. ;) I just don't know what to make of Defiance yet or how many dollars went to the TV show and how many to the game and how many to the other media sources to call it on budget or even actual content it brings to my PC. Is it a real RPG or a third person shooter MMO with skill points and PVP produced to hype next week's TV episode for SyFy or next month's book or whatever? I am kind of confused about it rather than hyped and need to see more from the involved parties before reaching a conclusion.

However, I grant them this. It's an interesting idea to build a franchise with all these platforms and media formats. You'd think SWTOR would have been smart enough to capitalize on the IP in a similar way. Trion was thinking outside the download on this one by tying game events into the various media series. 

80+ million dollars went into the game itself, 150+ people working on the game side of it.

The tv show is syfys biggest budget series ever created, and even bigger than battlestar galactica. It's also created by the minds behind battlestar galactica, aswell as a couple other top sci-fi series.

This is what we've been told so far.

Nobody knew much about Rift either until it was close to release, the beta events were packed and servers all full on launch.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by MMOdad72
    Originally posted by mymmo
    secret world will become the most played mmo as it should be :) 

Seriously ?

I mean I'm enjoying it again a bit ,but really , where do people get these ideas.

Yes. Im serious. Ivent had this fun in a mmo since my first mmo (wow). Ivent reached that far in the game, playing without any rush and Im not using an FAQ to solve the diffrent missions, And Im having a blast. The game is packed with everything a modern mmo should have.   And that is why I hope that TSW will become a hit in 2013. Or is there a new mmo incoming that the hating community here at mmorpg holds as a secret becuse what I can see is the same old that we have seen since 2007...

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

Been a casualcore (10-20 hr/wk average) MMO player for almost 10 years now, but 2013 is the first time in a while where I'm not really looking forward to any upcoming MMO. TESO looks interesting but until I get a chance to play a demo or beta I'm not going to get excited. Other games that I was looking forward to (End of Nations, Warhammer 40K, Vampire the Masquerade) look to be on hold indefinitely.

That being said, 2013 is looking to be an incredible year for gaming in general. You have BioShock Infinite, GTA V, the next Starcraft expansion, Star Wars 1313, Dragon Age 3,Company of Heroes 2, Crysis 3, not to mention possibly the new console generation coming out. If there was ever a year to take a break completely from MMOs and enjoy your next favorite genre, this will be the perfect year.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

DX11 is allowing for better and better graphics.

2013 will be the game year of the Pixel bewbies.

I look forward to the bouncy goodness.