Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pronunciation of ArcheAge

NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

How do you pronounce it? What if you're pronouncing it wrong? Do you care? I do. Hence this post.

Pronunciation

According to proper English it should be Ar-kee-Age. Listen here. There are two ways of pronouncing it properly.

This is in line with words that have the same prefix such as archeology and archetype.

But this does not roll off the tongue as well as Ark-Age does. 

Jake Song has stated that it is pronounced Ark-Age.

Pronouncing ArcheAge with the Arche as in 'march' is not correct.

The word Arche

"Arche (?ρχ?) is a Greek word with primary senses 'beginning', 'origin' or 'first cause' and 'power', 'sovereignty', 'domination' as extended meanings."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arche

How does it fit in with the lore?

From what's known so far: http://archeagewiki.com/Setting

"In the ancient days, our ancestors used to live on a highly civilized continent, but they had to flee to East and West without a reason we know about.

In ArcheAge, you begin playing two thousand years later, and you must find the cause of that big disaster, while simultaneously quenching your curiosity, enjoying the game and exploring the world."

From what I gather this can indicate some kind of beginning. Origin Age or some such.

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced: "Sandbox Messiah"

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Man, seriously, find something better to do

No offense

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by tom_gore

Sandpark :p

Originally posted by dinams

Man, seriously, find something better to do

No offense

None taken! I am well aware.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    AR-chee-AH-jay
  • LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    We had a debate about this already on another forum, firstly we thought it should be pronounced as arch+age, then an official response came, that it should be pronounced as ark+age, like if you would say dARK+AGE without the "d" letter.
  • SinsNotLiesSinsNotLies Member Posts: 11
    I pronounce it as either Ark-Age or Arch-Age.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by LlexX
    We had a debate about this already on another forum, firstly we thought it should be pronounced as arch+age, then an official response came, that it should be pronounced as ark+age, like if you would say dARK+AGE without the "d" letter.

Same..Ark(silent E) Age

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i say it "Fing korean game i can not try/play because im not korean" i think that is how you say it correctly.....

honestly though, does it really matter? it could be like archer age without an R wouldnt change anything people will just shorten it to A-A like they did auto assault and every other game since 1989..

Well...I still think they're wrong but I'll concede...it's their game after all. 

Do you remember on which forums the official response was posted?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    afaik its just pronounced  'ark-age' at least, thats how it would be pronounced in english. in other languages.. anybodies guess.image
    Originally posted by Phry
    afaik its just pronounced  'ark-age' at least, thats how it would be pronounced in english. in other languages.. anybodies guess.image

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=arche&submit=Submit

That's English.

• KillSwitch69KillSwitch69 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Psyche is spelled with an e and is still pronounced psych. image
    Originally posted by KillSwitch69

The variant of psyche (psych) is indeed pronounced as saik.

The variant not referring to psych is still pronounced as saiki. Like so: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=psyche&submit=Submit or http://translate.google.nl/?hl=nl&tab=wT#ja/en/psyche (click the little listen icon)

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by KillSwitch69

That word is said in two different ways with a few different meanings. So there is indeed a "psy-kee".

But I've also just been referring to the game as "Arch", mainly because I only see it come up in passing and have never cared enough to look into it passed a video I watched a long time ago.

I personally don't think the pronunciation of the name is at all important, though.

• KillSwitch69KillSwitch69 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I realize the differentiation between the two, I was merely pulling on the OP's leg.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

It's Ark-Age, get over it, you wanna now why it's ark-age and nothing anything else ?

Because i say so !

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Well...I still think they're wrong but I'll concede...it's their game after all. 

There was a video interview when the Russians asked questions from XLgames, and they (Korean PR) pronounced it as Ark+Age, atm i can't find the source for discussion when they confirmed it. But you might call it differently on different languages.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by tom_gore

You mean Hybrid Messiah.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

"Ar-kee" Age sounds silly and childish.

Ark-age sounds too much like a Disney/Pixar movie about life aboard Noah's Ark.

Arch-Age sounds all emo as if it's the arch-nemesis of the age... so that makes it inherently more cool and edgy.

I may or may not be 67% kidding.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Archeology

ArcheAge

Ar-ke-olo-gee

Ar-ke-age

what's the probelm?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by NBlitz

There was a video interview when the Russians asked questions from XLgames

Okay, thanks. Now I know what to look for.

and they (Korean PR) pronounced it as Ark+Age, atm i can't find the source for discussion when they confirmed it.

Wouldn't surprise me. I discussed this with a very well-spoken friend and he mentioned the word 'archetype' and how people pronounce it. It should not come as a surprise to anyone that many pronounce this as 'ark type' (hint, that's wrong). 

But you might call it differently on different languages.

Nope. I'm still talking about English. Proper English.

Originally posted by FromHell

Archeology

ArcheAge

Ar-ke-olo-gee

Ar-ke-age

what's the probelm?

Well, I'll be...someone who gets it. And where is hell? NY, NY, United States...greetings :)

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    It's pronounced aeae all the other letters are silent.

Originally posted by BadSpock

"Ar-kee" Age sounds silly and childish.

Ark-age sounds too much like a Disney/Pixar movie about life aboard Noah's Ark.

Arch-Age sounds all emo as if it's the arch-nemesis of the age... so that makes it inherently more cool and edgy.

I may or may not be 67% kidding.

Originally posted by Drakynn
    It's pronounced aeae all the other letters are silent.

Of course this is all in the spirit of forum fun as well searching for an answer. Please don't picture me foaming at the mouth. imageimage

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by FromHell

Archeology

ArcheAge

Ar-ke-olo-gee

Ar-ke-age

what's the probelm?

I thought it was more like Archangel, not archeology.  Just not sure why they put the "e" in there.  Or maybe more accurately, why words like Archangel don't have it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.