Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will GW2 ever make it as an eSport?

2»

Comments

• bigtime102bigtime102 Member UncommonPosts: 177

Nope. Core combat system wont allow it. Trust me, I know my e-sports, and real sports, theres no sport in GW2. I scored 30 points and grabbed 33 rebounds one game (yes we had a statistician). Dunked my first basketball in 10th grade. Im all about sports, this aint one.

• bigtime102bigtime102 Member UncommonPosts: 177

And I used to play FPS tournaments and did ok. Like as in first place everytime for real money. This isnt an esport.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Anet is simply far too slow to respond to problems within the game.

I feel that quickly identifying and solving issues is extremely important to success within the e-sport scene.  Unless Arenanet just completely changes the way they do things I don't see it happening.

It is possible they could come up with some really good stuff in the future and release a great patch or expansion that will lay the foundation for it properly, but imo long term success requires more than a good foundation.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

no.

why?

culling.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

For GW2 to be considered an eSport wouldn't all of the bugged and broken skills and traits need to be fixed? And wouldn't class balance need to actually be... you know, balanced? I know true class balance is a pipe dream but currently the game doesn't even have a shadow of balance.

The game will never be an eSport as long as ANet is so incompetently slow at fixing issues like that. Considering that Jon Peters admitted that ANet only has two devs working on class balance I think it's safe to say it will never happen now.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

I am surprised how many here that ditch the possebility of GW2 becoming an E-sport.

To become an E-sport a games need a few things.A community wanting it, a compagny backing it, a game that can support it and features that builds an audience to it.

There is no doubt that AreanaNet so far is behind in the PvP department.

The single handed biggest issue is there is no spectator mode yet. The lack of spectator mode does means that most players have no clue if the game and it's classes is balanced in the hand of strong players, or if it's not. It means that there is not building of a fanbase watching the competitive scene. And it means that the meta game stays an field for the select few that actual play the tournaments. GW1 spectatormode is the single most missed feature for making GW2 an E-sport.

Anyone that have watched a commenated GW1 match can see that ArenaNet had a huge posibility to have an E-sport game going with GW1. So far GW2 looks just as promising simply because of the similarities, and improvements.

The improvements consist of the toning down of the build wars, the easyer access to the PvP games, less PvP formats, and a less steep road to climp to improve your playing skill and be competitive.

ArenaNet is actual active trying to make the game into an E-sport and we havent yet see how far they are willing to go to push it in that direction. My guess is that a lot of players here will be surprised when they see whats in store here. 

Left is to establsih if the community actual want it? 

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by jondifool

I am surprised how many here that ditch the possebility of GW2 becoming an E-sport.

To become an E-sport a games need a few things.A community wanting it, a compagny backing it, a game that can support it and features that builds an audience to it.

/snip

ArenaNet is actual active trying to make the game into an E-sport and we havent yet see how far they are willing to go to push it in that direction. My guess is that a lot of players here will be surprised when they see whats in store here. 

Left is to establsih if the community actual want it? 

1. 'A community wanting it' - has to be big enough to justify. Esports is big business and requires a substantial $$$ investment to make it work. 2-3M box sales isn't going to cut it.

2. A company backing it - This flows to your last point as well. ANet has shown ZERO action when it comes to 'esports' so far. Talk is cheap and until I see something from ANet, I will question whether the actual motivation is there. This includes fast reaction when it comes to balancing which ANet hasn't done that well.

3. A game that can support it - This is not true right now. No spectator mode or anything that supports other people from watching a match. Also, ANet can't even supportt WvW properly and relies on 'culling' so the 'walk before you try to run' applies here.

4. Features that builds an audience to it. - Similar to point 3, just isn't there.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Torkaz
    Originally posted by dumpcat

I hope not. eSports are part of what's ruining MMO's. For MOBA style games and Multiplayer FPS it's perfect, but it does not belong in an MMORPG.

The only reason I would not be completely against it in GW2 is because sPvP does not equal a mandatory gear grind and the fact there is no real open world PvP.

If they sell out and use the WoW arena model, they can take this game and shove it where the sun don't shine.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Actually it's becuase I feel that MMO PvP should be focused on Open World PvP not canned esports or sPvP.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123

honestly, i dont think so. i was hoping it would, but the changes are just not precise and significant enough. we havent moved an inch in the game's balance since it was released. most bugs are still there. worst off, i think theyre completely lost on the whole meta issue. i dont think they even know what they want the meta to be. 

the upcoming spvp patch will bring some much needed features, but i personally have lost faith in this game having serious pvp, which is a damn shame. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    i think the game would need a much larger playerbase in order even begin to make a case for it to be an 'esport' it can probably be done with games like league of legends etc. as the player base there is significantly higher, but GW2 just doesnt really fit as being one, despite its W v W v W credentials, in PVP, at least, the game just doesnt have the right mix, only recently they had to 'bolster' the W v W pvp with NPC's to get people more organised, or for that matter, more involved with the WvW, it was an interesting feature but im not really sure its the right way to try and progress things. anyway, based on current progress, GW2 being eligible as an esport is probably a long way off, and based on the current progress in WvW i don't think its something we'll see in 2013, not without significant changes taking place.image
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Rider071

no.

why?

culling.

Completely irrelevant to sPvP, and WvW will never be an e-sport, that part of the game is for open world PvP fans who don't care about balance.

What does the game need to be an e-sport?

- Arranged tournaments

- Better maps, the new Kodan one is definitely the right direction, the other PvP maps need to be updated to reflect that sort of quality for objectives and layout.

- Different modes rather than just point capture. GW1 has a lot of good PvP modes, especially in the Hall of Heroes, not sure why they didn't bring them over. I loved the multi-team elimination battles, where once your priest was killed you lost the ability to ressurect. Constant respawns and ninja captures make the PvP feel a bit cheap.

- Further to the point above, have seperate tournaments for seperate modes.

In terms of class balance and skills, the game is nearly spot on. There needs a bit more tweaking, but its much more interesting PvP than heal spamfests. I think there needs to be a bit more skill and class diversity to really see some ineteresting builds being used.  I know that works against balance, but it needs to be done to keep the game fresh.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Phry
    i think the game would need a much larger playerbase in order even begin to make a case for it to be an 'esport' it can probably be done with games like league of legends etc. as the player base there is significantly higher, but GW2 just doesnt really fit as being one, despite its W v W v W credentials, in PVP, at least, the game just doesnt have the right mix, only recently they had to 'bolster' the W v W pvp with NPC's to get people more organised, or for that matter, more involved with the WvW, it was an interesting feature but im not really sure its the right way to try and progress things. anyway, based on current progress, GW2 being eligible as an esport is probably a long way off, and based on the current progress in WvW i don't think its something we'll see in 2013, not without significant changes taking place.image

sPvP is e-sport, not WvW.  WvW is pretty much the exact opposite of e-sport.  

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

My doubts about GW2 being an esport lie in the fact GW2 lacks a building phase that lets choices and strategies unfold for the viewer.

That was a problem of GW1 GvG as well, making it hard for those not involved to follow the action and catch the decisive interrup on the Aegis or Word of Healing or even the players cancelling their Energy Blast spike when the E/Rt flag runner used its Ether Prism.

Skills, traits, glyphs, utility skills, amulet and jewel are made pre-match.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders