Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Wednesday, August 31. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

Alienware X51 or custom rig

anthony21690anthony21690 Bronx, NYPosts: 114Member Uncommon
Hey guys, I posted a while back in hopes that you guys would help reduce the cost of my custom build and you guys did an amazing job, however I was just in best buy and I couldn't help but notice the x51 basic pc for 900$ I wanted to run at least Far Cry 3 on max and I was wondering if the x51 could pull the job off thanks in advance gents!

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNPosts: 2,134Member Uncommon

It very well may, but overall that $900 can be used to build a superior rig the best buy deal.

I Have played Far cry 3 alot on my PC. I have a 7870, i5 2500k @ 4.4, 16g Ram, and SSD, ect basically. I can max out everything at 1920x1200 resolution and get around 30fps. I cut down to just " high " settings basically and hit 45+ constant.

would help if you posted the specs of that Best buy PC.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 16,646Member Epic
    A $900 version of an Alienware X51 will use a GeForce GT 640, which offers around 1/4 of the graphical performance of jdnewell's Radeon HD 7870.  It can probably make Far Cry 3 playable, but not at anywhere near max settings.  Far Cry 3 is a very demanding game.
  • anthony21690anthony21690 Bronx, NYPosts: 114Member Uncommon

Hmm what would you recommend then?  I also found this computer on newegg I was wondering if it would be better for me to order that computer and if I had any real gripes with it to just order another gpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227443

Originally posted by jdnewell
    It very well may, but overall that $900 can be used to build a superior rig the best buy deal. I Have played Far cry 3 alot on my PC. I have a 7870, i5 2500k @ 4.4, 16g Ram, and SSD, ect basically. I can max out everything at 1920x1200 resolution and get around 30fps. I cut down to just " high " settings basically and hit 45+ constant. would help if you posted the specs of that Best buy PC.

Gtx 660 1.5gb

6gigs of ram

I5 3.1 ghz processor

and a 1tb drive

Edit: Dunno why I didn't just post the link to the actual computer...silly me: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienware+-+X51+Desktop+-+6GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/6912556.p;jsessionid=F1677486BF7E9D740A68C2E5EF7AA869.bbolsp-app01-65?id=1218812711766&skuId=6912556&st=x51&cp=1&lp=2#tab=specifications

Also the newegg pc that I posted above comes with a combo monitor that was also a very nice seller for me seeing as how I currently have no monitor.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    Originally posted by anthony21690
    It very well may, but overall that $900 can be used to build a superior rig the best buy deal. I Have played Far cry 3 alot on my PC. I have a 7870, i5 2500k @ 4.4, 16g Ram, and SSD, ect basically. I can max out everything at 1920x1200 resolution and get around 30fps. I cut down to just " high " settings basically and hit 45+ constant. would help if you posted the specs of that Best buy PC.

Gtx 660 1.5gb

6gigs of ram

I5 3.1 ghz processor

and a 1tb drive

Edit: Dunno why I didn't just post the link to the actual computer...silly me: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienware+-+X51+Desktop+-+6GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/6912556.p;jsessionid=F1677486BF7E9D740A68C2E5EF7AA869.bbolsp-app01-65?id=1218812711766&skuId=6912556&st=x51&cp=1&lp=2#tab=specifications

Also the newegg pc that I posted above comes with a combo monitor that was also a very nice seller for me seeing as how I currently have no monitor.

#1 1TB or 47TB?  Who cares? Get a Solid state drive.

#2 For a brand new system, GTX 660 is crap.  Why do you list video card ram?  Are you planning on a multiple monitor system?  Go with 670 or above.

#3 For your processor, you want to aim for a 5GHZ overclock, and land somewhere between a stable 4.3 and 4.8 GHZ.  That processor does not look like it supports overclocking, because it does not have the letter K after it.

#4  The system you posted looks like an Xbox.  Xboxes are known for the red ring of death.  Why?  Poor air flow.  Air flow can make or break a system in the long term.

#5 Power supply?  Motherboard?  Who knows?  As in, who knows which scrap bin they came from.  They won't last.

#6 6GB ram?  With what timings?  Most gamers are going for 8GB and up.

In summary, if you want a barely adequate system that will last about 9 months, go for it.  If not, double down and build your own.

Edit:  #7 Windows 8 preinstalled?  You know some game companies are not supporting Windows 8?  And if something goes wrong and Windows needs to be reinstalled, you are out hundreds.  NEVER, NEVER buy a system that doesn't come with a full copy of windows.

Edit:  Monitors are cheap as crap right now.  Forget the "included" ones and get something that supports a high refresh rate and a lot of colors on screen.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNPosts: 2,134Member Uncommon
    Hmm what would you recommend then?  I also found this computer on newegg I was wondering if it would be better for me to order that computer and if I had any real gripes with it to just order another gpu.   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227443

I am assuming your budget is around $900-$1000? since you were looking at a 900 $ best buy deal.

Go to http://avadirect.com and look at their prebuilts ( if you must order a prebuilt ). You can pick and choose your hardware configuration. They use solid parts even  without customizing them.

For $900-$1000 budget you can get a very decent AMD system, Intel will run you a bit more.

Overall I would advise to build your own or buy parts and pay someone local to put it together. If that is not an option then I personally would  buy from AVA direct.

Just my 2cp

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Gtx 660 1.5gb

6gigs of ram

I5 3.1 ghz processor

and a 1tb drive

#2 For a brand new system, GTX 660 is crap.  Why do you list video card ram?  Are you planning on a multiple monitor system?  Go with 670 or above.

#3 For your processor, you want to aim for a 5GHZ overclock, and land somewhere between a stable 4.3 and 4.8 GHZ.  That processor does not look like it supports overclocking, because it does not have the letter K after it.

#4  The system you posted looks like an Xbox.  Xboxes are known for the red ring of death.  Why?  Poor air flow.  Air flow can make or break a system in the long term.

#5 Power supply?  Motherboard?  Who knows?  As in, who knows which scrap bin they came from.  They won't last.

In summary, if you want a barely adequate system that will last about 9 months, go for it.  If not, double down and build your own.

Edit:  #7 Windows 8 preinstalled?  You know some game companies are not supporting Windows 8?  And if something goes wrong and Windows needs to be reinstalled, you are out hundreds.  NEVER, NEVER buy a system that doesn't come with a full copy of windows.

Edit:  Monitors are cheap as crap right now.  Forget the "included" ones and get something that supports a high refresh rate and a lot of colors on screen.

All I can really say to this is I have an extremely tight budget that's why I'm springing for these, teenagers can't exactly afford the best rigs XD

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Gtx 660 1.5gb

6gigs of ram

I5 3.1 ghz processor

and a 1tb drive

All I can really say to this is I have an extremely tight budget that's why I'm springing for these, teenagers can't exactly afford the best rigs XD

If you are a PC gaming enthusiast, you will almost always have to save up to get what you want.  Any chance you can bank the extra cash and save up for a little while?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• DobuzinskyDobuzinsky Roseville, CAPosts: 9Member
    I have to agree.  AVA Direct has the MOST cusomizations available, offered me crazy good customer service and a price I couldn't match ordering the components and assembling them myself.  I won't vouch for others' experiences, but in my case, they exceeded all expectations.