Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any well-informed opinions of this game yet?

syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

The concept seems interesting, but I don't know if I want to donate money to play a beta.  Also, if this game ends up being really great, I will regret not getting in on some of the deals offered by donating.  

I enjoyed the Diablo games and even enjoyed Diablo 3 for the first play-through.  After that, Diablo 3's core design flaws (felt like decreasing character strength instead of increasing) prevented me from desiring to play further.

Would anyone care to describe what you like or don't like about the game?  Does it have the potential to be great, or is it already there?  Try to keep in mind that hype tends to cause opinions to become exaggerated, so facts are more valuable than pure opinions.

I'm pretty sure there is no NDA preventing discussion of the game.  These forums are unusually quiet.

Comments

• kristoph57kristoph57 Member Posts: 2

This game right now is a shiny gem in the rough. 

I have played in the last three Closed Beta Tests - CBT2-4, and have level'd up to 25 on my Stoigmari Gunner. 

If you have any interest in a steam-punk setting, this is a recommended game.  I play 4e on occasion and am a general fan of roleplaying games - I found it a nice change and really enjoy the systems in this game. 

Pros

• Heavy develeper involvement - I haven't yet logged on to the game and not seen a Dev hanging out in Refuge (Starting area) - they even do little fun events. 
    • The basic systems are there for deep character customization - utilizing Mods and Blueprints to fine tune stats.
    • Rare equipment drops with stats above what you can purchase at the store. 
    • So far, no PTW features - and the devs have said they're going to stay away from them.
    • Instanced challenge dungeons promote grouping in a small way earlier on, then get progressively larger.
    • Steam-bike mounts, upgradeable and change colors as you put more work on them.
    • Mods show up on your weapons and some pieces of armor
    • As you upgrade your weapon, highlight colors change to show level (my Fine Knifespear had red coloring, my Gunner's repeater had green)
    • So far the community has been very friendly and kind. 
    Cons
    • Still in the closed beta stage - meaning there is a hefty amount still left to do. 
    • They are still developing tutorials. For the first CBT I participated in I had no idea how to craft. 
    • Quests are being added, but some still malfunction & need polish.
    • There was a creepy piece of talking luggage deep underground in one of the instances. It was weird. I don't go back to that instance.
    • All enemies are inside instances. I have no clue if this is going to change but you won't come across people fighting in the "city areas"  - though this is 50/50 because it might mean the city guard actually does its job (in an RPG? Inconceivable!)

Syntax, I would suggest waiting until Open Beta (which should be coming soon) - and then giving it a shot. I don't want to dissuade you from supporting CoS - because I think this game is FAN-TASTIC - but having discussed steam-punk with my friends, its not everyone's bag. 

If you're very curious, I'd check out the CoS forums. 

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

kristoph57 says there is indepth character customization but that's not true. What there is Class customization, but I don't know if you would call it indepth as I've seen other games of the same genre which are a lot more indepth then this.

To be honest, It's an "ok" game. I wouldn't pay a dime to play this game, and I don't know why so many people are going spastic over this game, because to me it's just "ok". The gameplay is kind of clunky and among other things I just couldn't get into it. It still is an ok game though, much better then some others I've played of this genre. Try it for yourself and see if you like it or not, lots of people seem to. If they are asking you to pay just to try a beta I wouldn't though. In most cases your wasting your money on a cheap money grab. Did that with others in the past and learned my lesson. But hey it's your money go for it.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by trash656

kristoph57 says there is indepth character customization but that's not true. What there is Class customization, but I don't know if you would call it indepth as I've seen other games of the same genre which are a lot more indepth then this.

To be honest, It's an "ok" game. I wouldn't pay a dime to play this game, and I don't know why so many people are going spastic over this game, because to me it's just "ok". The gameplay is kind of clunky and among other things I just couldn't get into it. It still is an ok game though, much better then some others I've played of this genre. Try it for yourself and see if you like it or not, lots of people seem to. If they are asking you to pay just to try a beta I wouldn't though. In most cases your wasting your money on a cheap money grab. Did that with others in the past and learned my lesson. But hey it's your money go for it.

Meh,i have a feeling you played the alpha version and i have a feeling for about.. 10 minutes?

Not trying to insult, just saying you probably quit before the real fun started? :P

have to agree that that if your not a person who likes these kind of games, it will never be i assume

Also ofcourse paying for the beta is totally not needed. I myself really like this game and it has improved SO much since the first alpha/sneak preview. The thing i like is how the graphics are still bearable, but the gameplay+storyline+questlore are really enjoyable compared to most nowadays games that totally go for graphical quality instead of gameplay and depth.

also tbh, it depends on how you see "character customisation" . if you talk about facial and bodystuff.. sure, GW2 and such games surpass city of steam in that (alot of games dont though) ... if you talk about customisation of gear and weapons.. then nothing surpasses city of steam.

I mean.. mods you can apply to weapons and armor, which add cosmetic additions making it look cooler everytime you apply a mod, thus allowing you to exactly choose how everything looks as you can see here:

http://forum.cityofsteam.com/index.php?topic=4059.0

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED