Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is a perfectly balanced game actually really boring?

2»

Comments

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    I hate that they have started balancing classes so that in 1v1 PvP they are "equal". .  it just got dull.

yeah I hate that too.MMORPGs should not be based on 1v1 PvP IMO.I prefer a rock/paper/scissors/lizard/Spock kinda balance!

The problem is not the numbers 1vs1, the problem is the implied "under all circuimstances".

The system dicatates that advantages like range (archers attacking from afar, warriors jumping mages from around the tree) should be meaningless, thus creating in the end a convulted system of gap creators and closers, mana and health regenerations and cooldowns most of the "unskilled" players are unable to perform, thus making the class/build that has the most passive and easy advantageous abilities the most common, popular and OP.

Flame on!

:)

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    I hate that they have started balancing classes so that in 1v1 PvP they are "equal". .  it just got dull.

yeah I hate that too.MMORPGs should not be based on 1v1 PvP IMO.I prefer a rock/paper/scissors/lizard/Spock kinda balance!

• Scissors cuts paper
    • Paper covers rock
    • Rock crushes lizard
    • Lizard poisons Spock
    • Spock smashes scissors
    • Scissors decapitates lizard
    • Lizard eats paper
    • Paper disproves Spock
    • Spock vaporizes rock
    • Rock crushes scissors
    good episode, hehe
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Banaghran
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by XAPGames

If everyone is strong, then noone is strong.  That's one of the reasons I like classes with a great deal of diversity.

I'm of the opinion that making a character stronger in one area (for example by specialization) should make them weak in another.

Some devs seem to hold back on diversification, very likely to make it impossible to gimp a character.  Personally I like a game that will let me gimp a character if it also allows me to build one that's strong.  Specialization becomes a mini-game.

That is true to some degree, but it is far too common in games like that where only a singhle build for each class is OP and everyone just copies if off the net.

Classes doesnt really have to be balanced but there must be some balance betweens the skills and feats you pick when you customize your character. It doesnt have to be perfect but close enough so people wont demand you to have a specific build to let them join a PUG.

Allowing people to find odd specialization builds and skills that work well together is fun but no balance still takes the fun out of it.

Let us make our own weird builds, some better than others but dont let it be a minigame to find the one perfect because that one will be out on the net a week after launch and then everyone will use it. Having hundreds of possible builds is not fun if ony one of them are really good.

I think people like customization in two ways:

1) one to be a goldfish/peacock.

2) To find an OP build.  Although they often can't admit it.

2) is why we usually agrue for more diversity in activities, so that there is less chance for one build to be op in most cases.

Old timers might remember that it wasnt always "just raids", that once we had "soloing", "aoe" and "grouping" (pve and pvp :) ), where different classes and build could shine, not even mentioning niche things like resource gathering and evade and steal.

Flame on!

:)

I am pretty old timer gamer from the 70s.   I think gamers love to game and are more open minded about results.  But there are other min-maxers who are about ringing out every advatage.  Obviously the two are not mutually exclusive.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"