Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current population of players in game

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Rhoms

You missed the point.  If servers fluctuate between "full" and "very high," then does that mean those players are no longer bound to the server?  My point still stands.  The game has a healthy population.

According to what?

You just admitted (because ANet said so) that server status can't be trusted.

We have an example showing there is a portion of the playerbase that stopped playing via Xfire.

We have examples of servers being a wasteland.

Heck, we even have an ANet dev accepting the '20-70 wasteland' issue as 'We have to figure something out' in a recent Reddit AMA.

Whether a fan accepts those facts is irrevelent now as ANet themselves acknowledges them.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Rhoms

You missed the point.  If servers fluctuate between "full" and "very high," then does that mean those players are no longer bound to the server?  My point still stands.  The game has a healthy population.

According to what?

You just admitted (because ANet said so) that server status can't be trusted.

We have an example showing there is a portion of the playerbase that stopped playing via Xfire.

We have examples of servers being a wasteland.

Heck, we even have an ANet dev accepting the '20-70 wasteland' issue as 'We have to figure something out' in a recent Reddit AMA.

Whether a fan accepts those facts is irrevelent now as ANet themselves acknowledges them.

Yes you are right wasteland doom and gloom --- Damn forgot my tin foil any way carry on

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Threads like this are pointless. First of all, there is no 100% flawless way to find the exact number of active players inside the game at any given point. Activity is a variable term anyway. Does active mean 4 mins a day or 10+ hours? Also, when it comes time to release quarterly reports, every MMO company out there makes a press release that paints them in the most favorable light possible. With WOW, SWTOR, and others, it has always been this way. Even non-MMOs use numbers like "boxes shipped" instead of sold. Witcher 2: most played game in Poland! Anyway, Anet will release numbers at some point... and we will either see "boxes shipped", total copies sold", "Internet sales", "Lifetime registered users", or whatever play on words they can find to paint the game in the best possible light. So no, the number of active players is never an important stat. I don't blame them though. That's how video games work.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

SWTOR - Bioware lay-offs April 2012 - 4 months after release.

TERA  - August 2012 - a couple months after release in the west.

TSW - August 2012 - 1 month after release

Rift - December 2012 - 1 month after release of the xpac.

Turbine - October 2012 - same month as new xpac of LOTRO

So far Anet didn't have any lay-offs with 4 months of life (the NCSOF layoffs didn't hit Anet).and talks of features, content and an expansion in 2013. GW1 is still running by the way.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

People don't like the game and for what ever reason, feel that the game should fail without them. That is what it seems like to me, reading posts on this forum. The world doesn't revovle around people on this site, just like it doesn't matter if I like the game or not. It seems to be very full and busy - actually even after the removal of the Wintersday patch - all the main cities show an overflow and same with some of the areas, so that means there are people playing (this is based on the server I am currently on and that is all I can base it on, afterall). Have people really invested so much in their despisng of this game, that they want a company to fail? It is kind of ludirous.

You like the game, play it. You don't like the game, don't play and move on. Don't piss in my themepark and I won't piss in your sandbox. SInce the game is B2P, it will still be going, after all, GW1 is still active.

Originally posted by greenreen

This may shine some light on things.

"There are more than 2 million Guild Wars 2 accounts. Yes, 2,000,000+ accounts! With player volumes that high, there will be cheaters, exploiters, scammers, and of course, the occasional and deeply regretted error on our part, the unwarranted suspension or closure of an account."

Partial quote from: http://www.linkedin.com/in/gailegray on Guild Wars 2 official forum https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Fear-of-Ban/first#post1138053

Now you know at best it is somewhere between 2m and 3m. The wording isn't clear whether it includes banned accounts but that gives you some general numbers to start arguing with. Go! lol

Think I counted 51 servers here.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Updated-World-Ratings-Dec-28

She also said a few post below that "100 posts is 0.00005% of our population".

So that is around 200 million players.

So I wouldn't give much importance to Gayle Gray numbers

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

"There are more than 2 million Guild Wars 2 accounts. Yes, 2,000,000+ accounts! With player volumes that high, there will be cheaters, exploiters, scammers, and of course, the occasional and deeply regretted error on our part, the unwarranted suspension or closure of an account."

Partial quote from: http://www.linkedin.com/in/gailegray on Guild Wars 2 official forum https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Fear-of-Ban/first#post1138053

Now you know at best it is somewhere between 2m and 3m. The wording isn't clear whether it includes banned accounts but that gives you some general numbers to start arguing with. Go! lol

She is also a speaker for the company. If you choose to ignore it. Go for it. It is the closest thing to players given to date and the post was less than 24 hours old so it isn't ancient. It's quite relevant to the conversation.

She was probably trying to infer that 5% of the general population participates in forums but did it wrong. That's the number we always quote to people in web development when asked how active forums are.

I'm indifferent at this point. I don't play the game so I'm not coming to any conclusions about it but I see others still debating so why not give them facts to work with. The truth is, she is closer to the company than any of us are.

She was doing 100/2000000. She forgot to multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

She is a support liaison.

She uses the numbers that were given to her - and the 2 million+ was the number given in early September.

If you want sales numbers or numbers of active players good sources will be someone in a different position.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Plenty of people playing, but most people are either low level or max level. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I just wonder what these people are doing. It's not pvp or WvW. No more than 20 spvp servers running, that's about 300 people. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I wouldn't know how many players are playing atm. In LA or WvW have to almost bump into other players before the game shows them to me. This player culling totally destroyed immersion for me during holiday events. When this is fixed, I start playing again.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I just wonder what these people are doing. It's not pvp or WvW. No more than 20 spvp servers running, that's about 300 people. 

We had WvW queues last night at about midnight east coast, Jade Quarry server. At least in the Tier 1 servers (only thing I can go by) there's quite a healthy WvW population out there.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by Selo
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    Originally posted by ownprocess
    Speaking purely from my own experience, on the Gandara EU server, the population seems healthy enough.  Plenty people running around the low level areas and easy enough to find groups for dungeons.

Agree.

Gandara had some issues in low level areas couple of weeks ago, but now it seems busy. People are probably taking some break from FOTM (finally).

Gandara, along with Desoliation are the servers where the English speaking communities are flooding to since many of the others are gettting empty.

The russians have now gathered on the russian server, and the french are still on vz.

You should take Far Shiverpeaks as an example instead. Arguably the best PvP server in EU, with loads of people , queues beeing up to 5 hours to join any battlefront. Then getting bandwagoned by all the free transfers bringing the queues up to 8 hours.

All the original players left since they couldnt get in to WvW. The big alliances stoped playing since they ccouldnt organize anything. The russians left the server. Population dropped like a stone along with its serverrank.

Now there no queues to any BF, no overflow in Lions Arch and all zones are empty most times of the day.

My guild had 100 members, now theres only 2 left playing. And theres several guilds with the same experiance.

The fanboys can deny it all they want, but the population has dropped alot.

Xfire IS a good indication, it has all kinds of players, casual, hardcore, old and young.

I would say the game has around 500k players, and many of them are afk in Lions Arch.

I'm from Far Shiverpeaks, and i stopped playing in December but i can confirm what he said about the population. Orr zones are perma-contested. Majority of people are in FotM i guess.... ANet made a wonderful big world, and after november update gave no reason to people to go there, aside levelling ofc.

Pratically GW2 became 90% instanced like GW1, except that GW1 gameplay is a 10 thousand times deeper.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

The only important measure is 'peak/average concurrent users', and only EVE provides those numbers.

Knowing there are X accounts or Y subs tells you nothing about how many people are usually online.

I love these threads.

"The game is empty!"

"No one in the open world!"

"All areas contested!"

Of course then I go play (top two images today just a few minutes ago, 3rd yesterday) and I get to do DE's with tons of people in the most remote areas of the game.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

She is also a speaker for the company. If you choose to ignore it. Go for it. It is the closest thing to players given to date and the post was less than 24 hours old so it isn't ancient. It's quite relevant to the conversation.

She was probably trying to infer that 5% of the general population participates in forums but did it wrong. That's the number we always quote to people in web development when asked how active forums are.

I'm indifferent at this point. I don't play the game so I'm not coming to any conclusions about it but I see others still debating so why not give them facts to work with. The truth is, she is closer to the company than any of us are.

She uses the numbers that were given to her - and the 2 million+ was the number given in early September.

If you want sales numbers or numbers of active players good sources will be someone in a different position.

Gaile Gray was the support liason during GW1 but she got promoted and works for NCSoft/A.Net - she is not some underling like you are making her out to be.

Originally posted by botrytis

Gaile Gray was the support liason during GW1 but she got promoted and works for NCSoft/A.Net - she is not some underling like you are making her out to be.

I'm not making up anything - she is the support liaison as it says in her own title in the forums.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by bcbully

That's the beauty of it. Some are pvping others wvw and others pveing image

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

So many words, so many  arguments and so many I don't know what.....SERIOUSLY FOLKS!! Why is there such a big problem to reveal numbers.......?

It is important so that I know I want to join the community in that game! If the game lacks of folks I would hesitate to join cause I want people online! THAT IS WHY I PLAY AN MMORPG! at the first place!

I don't want to hear: Oh, dear... my server is so full and such a thriving community BECAUSE that is what they all say!!

A good and healthy game would give me some numbers overall and on some good servers, simple is that! No excuses!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Miklosan

So many words, so many  arguments and so many I don't know what.....SERIOUSLY FOLKS!! Why is there such a big problem to reveal numbers.......?

It is important so that I know I want to join the community in that game! If the game lacks of folks I would hesitate to join cause I want people online! THAT IS WHY I PLAY AN MMORPG! at the first place!

I don't want to hear: Oh, dear... my server is so full and such a thriving community BECAUSE that is what they all say!!

A good and healthy game would give me some numbers overall and on some good servers, simple is that! No excuses!

There are 2 facts and 1 opinion that go counter to the 'GW2 population is high'.

Fact

1. Xfire numbers are down. This essentially means there is a portion of the playerbase that isn't playing GW2 from before.

2. ANet accepted the issue of the wastelands in the lvl 20-70 areas; 'We have to figure something out'.

Opinion

I'm on Maguuma and it is really barren in the 20-70 areas.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Fact 1 - some people no longer play GW2

Fact 2 - some people still play GW2

Fact 3 - Some new people started playing GW2 since other people quit

Fact 4 - Some people might not be playing currently, but will come back with an expansion

Fact this - Some people think the population level is good now, getting rid of the DE zerg and making it more challenging.

Fact that - You can have your nuts removed in Age of Wushu so that you can be a eunuch.

Fact me - I get banned a hell of a lot because I decide to be a honest instead of understanding.

Fact you - you've read it, and you can never un-read it.

Fact you all - Factual is pronounced  "fakCHo?o?l"

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Fact 1 - some people no longer play GW2

Fact 2 - some people still play GW2

Fact 3 - Some new people started playing GW2 since other people quit

Fact 4 - Some people might not be playing currently, but will come back with an expansion

Fact this - Some people think the population level is good now, getting rid of the DE zerg and making it more challenging.

Fact that - You can have your nuts removed in Age of Wushu so that you can be a eunuch.

Fact me - I get banned a hell of a lot because I decide to be a honest instead of understanding.

Fact you - you've read it, and you can never un-read it.

Fact you all - Factual is pronounced  "fakCHo?o?l"

Fact Soilder Blue  Folks stay on because of pity

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    I think everyone is waiting on the dungeon fix. Others are just grinding out whatever fits the fancy.
  • BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141

Less than Wow but more than any of the other games i play thats for sure.

I have 1-80/ 1-70/1-60 /1-50  and a couple other lower and i see other folks all over the place.

But for numbers i have no idea but have no problems doing anything i want .