Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current population of players in game

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    One thing you can be sure of, the number of people currently playing is nothing ANET is particularly proud of, or they would simply publish the actual numbers.

Like WoW has recently? Or SWTOR? Or any major game for that matter?

Even the small indie games rarely publish how many they have. The only one who regularly tells people is EVE.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Based on XFire numbers I would say that the game has about 1.6-1.9M total playerbase.

XFire is just a useless number SINCE we don't know the % of players in GW2 who use it. It could be 0.1% or 10%. Until we know, can't really say anything - this is on ANY GAME also.

We do not need this number.

We know GW2 had about 2-2.5mil players on launch.

We know the number of xfire users who played GW2 on launch (15-16k)

We know the number of xfire users who play GW2 now (3-3.5k)

Therefore we can calculate APPROXIMATELY how many players GW2 has right now: 

First let's make 2-2.5mil 2.25, 15-16k -> 15.5, 3-3.5k -> 3.25k

if 15.5k is 2.25mil, how much is 3.25k?

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

x= 3250*2250000 / 15500 = 471774.2

about 471.774 people are still playing GW2 on a daily basis

We don't know that. You are assuming and you know what they say about opinions and assuming - everyone has one.

XFire is a measure of XFire users not an individual game's population. Your logic is off because you are using presales numbers to assume the game now has the same amount - I have no clue how many are playing GW2 - nor do I care.

Let us leave XFire out of this discussion as they are flawed numbers from the start.

"let us leave xfire out of this discussion because the numbers don't favor my favorite game"

Remember when GW2 was doing better than WoW on xfire how you guys were celebrating?

Actually, more people were saying to keep xfire numbers at safe distance since it means nothing and shows pretty much nothing...

You can not calculate the way you did because you just assumed GW2 didn't sell a single copy after the initial launch sales numbers were given and that I find hard to believe since they're now smashing a bit harder on that advertising button then they did before release. :)

Are you implying xfire users don't buy games after the initial launch? See where your logic fails?

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

XFire is a sub population of its own.

XFire players represent something like 0.1% of know game populations.

It is like if when I did a poll for politics elections I only interviewed over 60 year old, or people from littletown or people that posted on MMORPG.com.

Deriving absolute population numbers from XFire is silly without that kind of data.

Because those 15K players playing GW2 in end of August were 50% higher than the number playing WoW during MoP release and we know WoW has a higher player base.

And all this is assuming that the percentage of the population of each game using Xfire is the same across the board.

Also I don't see reasons for people to leave WoW out of the Xfire discussions other than WoW XfFire numbers don't support the message people are trying to pass.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ownprocessownprocess Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Speaking purely from my own experience, on the Gandara EU server, the population seems healthy enough.  Plenty people running around the low level areas and easy enough to find groups for dungeons.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by ownprocess
    Speaking purely from my own experience, on the Gandara EU server, the population seems healthy enough.  Plenty people running around the low level areas and easy enough to find groups for dungeons.

Agree.

Gandara had some issues in low level areas couple of weeks ago, but now it seems busy. People are probably taking some break from FOTM (finally).

• SeloSelo Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by DeniZg

Agree.

Gandara had some issues in low level areas couple of weeks ago, but now it seems busy. People are probably taking some break from FOTM (finally).

Gandara, along with Desoliation are the servers where the English speaking communities are flooding to since many of the others are gettting empty.

The russians have now gathered on the russian server, and the french are still on vz.

You should take Far Shiverpeaks as an example instead. Arguably the best PvP server in EU, with loads of people , queues beeing up to 5 hours to join any battlefront. Then getting bandwagoned by all the free transfers bringing the queues up to 8 hours.

All the original players left since they couldnt get in to WvW. The big alliances stoped playing since they ccouldnt organize anything. The russians left the server. Population dropped like a stone along with its serverrank.

Now there no queues to any BF, no overflow in Lions Arch and all zones are empty most times of the day.

My guild had 100 members, now theres only 2 left playing. And theres several guilds with the same experiance.

The fanboys can deny it all they want, but the population has dropped alot.

Xfire IS a good indication, it has all kinds of players, casual, hardcore, old and young.

I would say the game has around 500k players, and many of them are afk in Lions Arch.

Originally posted by Selo

Agree.

Gandara, along with Desoliation are the servers where the English speaking communities are flooding to since many of the others are gettting empty.

The russians have now gathered on the russian server, and the french are still on vz.

You should take Far Shiverpeaks as an example instead. Arguably the best PvP server in EU, with loads of people , queues beeing up to 5 hours to join any battlefront. Then getting bandwagoned by all the free transfers bringing the queues up to 8 hours.

All the original players left since they couldnt get in to WvW. The big alliances stoped playing since they ccouldnt organize anything. The russians left the server. Population dropped like a stone along with its serverrank.

Now there no queues to any BF, no overflow in Lions Arch and all zones are empty most times of the day.

My guild had 100 members, now theres only 2 left playing. And theres several guilds with the same experiance.

Xfire IS a good indication, it has all kinds of players, casual, hardcore, old and young.

I would say the game has around 500k players, and many of them are afk in Lions Arch.

Yes, it dropped alot.

But what was the starting point?

The starting point was a level activity thar rivaled or even surpassed (at least in xfire numbers and the reported 400K concurrency) that of WoW and even got close to LoL levels.

So the crying shifted from "Zergs,zergs everywhere. It is impossible to do DEs" to "there is only a few people around. It is impossible to do DEs".

I'm in Desolation since day -3 and I still find players out in the world all the time.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Agree.

XFire IS NOT a good indication, as was stated earlier. It only reports people WHO ACTUALLY INSTALLED THE PROGRAM - only way for it to be even remotely useful is if it is automatically installed with the game. Other wise it is just useless numbers FOR ANY GAME, all it is a measure of XFire players - what ever type that is......

I have seen overflow in every major city - US server Crystal Desert - also seen hupe amounts of people in lowbie areas - 40-50 people fighting the swamp boss in human area. My guild has just increased by 25 over New Years. My experience is way different from yours. It does happen in a B2P game - it is not like a subscription game, when one leaves - one doesn't usually come back to the game.

Also, new content is coming out soon, so we shall see what happens.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    [mod edit]

Server Maguuma is pretty much dead so this seems true for me.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

[mod edit]

List the ones that are bigger in XFire and reddit. :)

What the haters like to ignore is that GW2 was the biggest NEW MMORPG at release in the west.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    [mod edit]

List the ones that are bigger in XFire and reddit. :)

What the haters like to ignore is that GW2 was the biggest NEW MMORPG at release in the west.

That's all well and good except right now, the population is not even close to what it needs to be if we look at the amount of servers.

Like I said, Maguuma is dead.

The 'cliff' really hit GW2 hard and that wasn't due to lack of content either which is very surprising.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

It's really hard to judge because it's such a HUGE world, and people can really be spread out across the world.  I see people running around frequently in the regions I'm in, and I'm pretty much all over as I try to get 100% map completion.

I'd like to see more people than I am currently, but that is not to say it feels deserted like say SWTOR.  There are people running by, going about their business often.  Some zones, like beginning and end zones, seem to be more populated, at least on my server.  I would transfer to a busier server, but sometimes it has to do with time of day as well.  I get great performance on my current server, no lag, no server instability, so that's something I'd have to consider as well.

How busy or unbusy a server feels is somewhat subjective.  I'd love to have hard numbers but this type of info seems to be closely guarded.  Terms like low, med, high pop are really misleading and a bit useless.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Everytime I log into GW2 (time of the day differs) most of the servers (even over seas ones) are Full >> High >> Med. Not once has any server had a low population. The server I play on Jade Quarry is always high to full. I re-rolled some new toons because the ones I had were during beta and pre-launch and in every zone I found many people playing the game. 

These forum posts serve only to encourage the trolls and haters of a game. If you play the game regularly you know it is not dead. It may feel a little light compared to the major influx in the zones during the first month at launch, but the game is by far not dead, nor are ALL the servers.

Originally posted by Xepo

Everytime I log into GW2 (time of the day differs) most of the servers (even over seas ones) are Full >> High >> Med. Not once has any server had a low population. The server I play on Jade Quarry is always high to full. I re-rolled some new toons because the ones I had were during beta and pre-launch and in every zone I found many people playing the game. 

These forum posts serve only to encourage the trolls and haters of a game. If you play the game regularly you know it is not dead. It may feel a little light compared to the major influx in the zones during the first month at launch, but the game is by far not dead, nor are ALL the servers.

"full" is only an indication of how many people are bound to a server, not how many are playing. Even i, who havent played for months counts.

Xfire is a good indication, when you take surveys you dont include everyone in a whole country, you pic people of every status, just like xfire does.

Xfire accuratly showed warhammers downfall, it accuratly showed swtors downfall, and it accuratly shows guild wars decline in players.

A huge chunk left becouse of lack of endgame content. THen a huge chunk left becouse of no gear progression, then another huge chunk becouse of wvw system beeing flawed ang beeing meaningless with no reward. Then even the casuals started leaving when they added fractals.

GW2 is way to casual meainstream to suit the big part of the mmo community. Casual games almost always fail, they quickly become stale since they cant evolve.

"full" is only an indication of how many people are bound to a server, not how many are playing. Even i, who havent played for months counts.

Xfire is a good indication, when you take surveys you dont include everyone in a whole country, you pic people of every status, just like xfire does.

Xfire accuratly showed warhammers downfall, it accuratly showed swtors downfall, and it accuratly shows guild wars decline in players.

A huge chunk left becouse of lack of endgame content. THen a huge chunk left becouse of no gear progression, then another huge chunk becouse of wvw system beeing flawed ang beeing meaningless with no reward. Then even the casuals started leaving when they added fractals.

GW2 is way to casual meainstream to suit the big part of the mmo community. Casual games almost always fail, they quickly become stale since they cant evolve.

XFire doesn't pick people of every status - it picks people that use xfire which are a minority, opposed to say having a phone.

By the way did WoW also drop 50% population since september?

XFire doesn't pick people of every status - it picks people that use xfire which are a minority, opposed to say having a phone.

Xfire works exactly like a s survey, its not a specific type of player that use xfire, it has all types of players, just like a country have all kinds of people

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Xfire works exactly like a s survey, its not a specific type of player that use xfire, it has all types of players, just like a country have all kinds of people

No. Not at all. Specific countires have a specific "type" of person. French are completely different from English.

It is not at all a survey. Sure, you can download it for free. But I have never, ever physically met someone with Xfire. I do not even have it. The population in Xfire is for more "hardcore" players. And even then, the majority do not. I am not even sure if Xfire is present in some Asian countries.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

No not at all. Xfire is a particular resource that is targetted at certain gamers. The game hoppers. People who play multiple games, so that they can keep track of friends in other games.

This is a very specific sub-set of the MMO community. The fickle ones who jump to every newest game around. People who are exclusiively playing GW2 have no need for Xfire.

Therefore the results are very biased. Which is why we constantly see the 'THE GAME IS DYING COS XFIRE IS SLOWING DOWN' threads. Well duh, people who use XFire rarely stick around.

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174

How does that make any sense at all?  When nearly all servers were "full" on Christmas day, and then I log on today and nearly all are listed as "very high," does that mean the accounts are no longer bound to servers?  Give me a break.  Just because you want a game to fail does not make it so.

The population in this game is healthy.  Stop fooling yourselves. 

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by evilastro

No not at all. Xfire is a particular resource that is targetted at certain gamers. The game hoppers. People who play multiple games, so that they can keep track of friends in other games.

This is a very specific sub-set of the MMO community. The fickle ones who jump to every newest game around. People who are exclusiively playing GW2 have no need for Xfire.

Therefore the results are very biased. Which is why we constantly see the 'THE GAME IS DYING COS XFIRE IS SLOWING DOWN' threads. Well duh, people who use XFire rarely stick around.

I wish some people would read this, and then read it again, and then understand it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by Rhoms

How does that make any sense at all?  When nearly all servers were "full" on Christmas day, and then I log on today and nearly all are listed as "very high," does that mean the accounts are no longer bound to servers?  Give me a break.  Just because you want a game to fail does not make it so.

'Full' doesn't mean what you think it means according to ANet.

Take it up with ANet if you have a problem rather than folks who are just going by what the game devs are saying.

CC Eva wrote:

"When you see a server FULL means that the people who’ve chosen that server as theirs, or players who have moved to that particular server, have reached the cap, independently of where did they create their accounts."

Gdemami -

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

No. Not at all. Specific countires have a specific "type" of person. French are completely different from English.

It is not at all a survey. Sure, you can download it for free. But I have never, ever physically met someone with Xfire. I do not even have it. The population in Xfire is for more "hardcore" players. And even then, the majority do not. I am not even sure if Xfire is present in some Asian countries.

I love how your arguement is.. "I have never seen a Xfire user therefor any and all data collected by them is pointless."

~slow clap~ well played.

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Rhoms

'Full' doesn't mean what you think it means according to ANet.

Take it up with ANet if you have a problem rather than folks who are just going by what the game devs are saying.

CC Eva wrote:

"When you see a server FULL means that the people who’ve chosen that server as theirs, or players who have moved to that particular server, have reached the cap, independently of where did they create their accounts."

You missed the point.  If servers fluctuate between "full" and "very high," then does that mean those players are no longer bound to the server?  My point still stands.  The game has a healthy population.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Originally posted by dlld
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Based on XFire numbers I would say that the game has about 1.6-1.9M total playerbase.

How do you get that number? only thing i can think of is for compare it to say wow which officially announced it has 10 million subs, it only has 6k players on xfire though, while gw2 has close to 4k, meaning gw2 should have atleast over 5 million players by that logic.

XFire isn't used in asia I assume.  So if he was making a guess it would have to be based on assuming a number of players in the US/EU.  The rough guess is that there are 4 million subscribers in US/EU.  I wouldn't use that logic to guess GW2 player numbers though.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Serenes
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

I love how your arguement is.. "I have never seen a Xfire user therefor any and all data collected by them is pointless."

~slow clap~ well played.

The same  to say that if I never ever was called to participate in any poll and I don't know anybody who participated ... therefore all polls are meaningless.

It is hard to determine the quality of the sample which are Xfire users. This is definitely not a "random" sample. Xfire has some neat features especially if you play many games. For one... it has listed all games installed on your computer and it will launch them for you. It has voice chat, game video recording, and much more.

I downloaded it to find out what is so special about it... and I actually like it. It also will track for you how much time you spend in games. Ouch. It shows you all your friends who also use Xfire and what are they playing and even on what server.

Great tool for social players.

There are about 21 millions Xfire accounts based on wiki.

As for GW2 population? Less then WoW and more then SWTOR... based on XFire. I would not dare to judge numbers, but about 2 millions probably sounds right on.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E