Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pointless WvW

cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

I dont do WvW anymore, you know why? What's the point?

I used spend hours so that my server climbs up the ladder and meet stronger and better opponents. I used to defend a castle for hours dying multiple times and paying a lot of repairs so that my faction will control the castle...

Then one day I woke up and asked myself? Whats the point?

As my server goes up the ladder and as me and myguildmates spend many hours and lots of gold on this cause what do we get back? Don't tell me you get more benefits for your server as you get higher points. The benefits are almost negligible. Maybe 2% more crafting xp boost and 2% more gold from monster.

I just spend 4 hours  defending that castle last week, what was the reward for me or my guild? Did my guild get a reward for defending our castle? No, we actually lost a lot of gold buying siege engines and repairing. Maybe we won a little karma but thats it...

Now the biggest catch, what do we do when we go Wvw now? me and coupel friends just hop from one instance to another just capping the supply camps for karma, sometimes we cap undefended castles too, but dont defend it. It all turned into a big zerg around the map capping as many things in a little time and let them get capped by the enemy so u can cap them again.

At one point it was 3 big zergs of 3 servers going clockwise around the battleground just capping everything and not defending so the next group can capture it. Why defend it? whats the reward? Karma farming with a group of opposite faction is much faster, everyone is sarting to do this now...

(edit: before ppl say u get points for defending too, NO, its just a small fraction of what you would get if you were capturing it. and also its still bugged, I can stay inside the castle for hours and maybe get 1 out of 3 or 4 defense rewards)

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    I did it for the entertainment value. Never really was about the reward factor for me. Suppose it depends on what you expect to gain far as how much or for how long you will enjoy WvW.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BebbohBebboh Member Posts: 29

I cant stand Guild Wars 2 but why does there need to be a point? Isnt the point of playing games to have fun. If your not having that then I guess the game is not for you.

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137

What's the point? To have fun maybe.

Why do you play games in general? Most likely becuase you find it entertaining.

I know I still have a blast in WvW. Running around with guild groups and taking on massive numbers. That's always been the part of larger scale pvp I found fun. Being outnumbered and coming out as the winner.

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    I did it for the entertainment value. Never really was about the reward factor for me. Suppose it depends on what you expect to gain far as how much or for how long you will enjoy WvW.

This ^

A baffling thing to think about, is if you take the OP's mentallity and apply it to ANY other genre, it doesn't make sense. So why with MMOs?

Why do MMOs have to have rewards for everything? Why the carrot? Heck, do you play TF2 for the hats? Do you play BF3 for the upgrades, and then put it down once you got the upgrade u want? Do you play skyrim for the epic axe of badassery, and then quit once you have it?

Seriously, whatever happened to playing games for fun? There are games for those that want an endless reward dispenser (D3, Borderlands 2, TL2, etc.) and honestly, I find each and every one of them to get boring fairly quick. I have far more fun playing game after game of Natural Selection 2, or Starcraft, or Planetside 2, or Civ 5, etc. etc. etc. all of which provide barely any reward outside of the knowledge that I either played well or poorly. But that's part of the fun, isn't it? Taking it upon yourself to tackle challenges, and trying to triumph against greater odds.

WvW may be 'pointless', but It's rare that I have as much fun as I do trying to defend stonemist from 3x as many invaders. I don't fight wars for magic underpants, I fight them to try and win.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by cagan

I dont do WvW anymore, you know why? What's the point?

I used spend hours so that my server climbs up the ladder and meet stronger and better opponents. I used to defend a castle for hours dying multiple times and paying a lot of repairs so that my faction will control the castle...

As my server goes up the ladder and as me and myguildmates spend many hours and lots of gold on this cause what do we get back? Don't tell me you get more benefits for your server as you get higher points. The benefits are almost negligible. Maybe 2% more crafting xp boost and 2% more gold from monster.

I just spend 4 hours  defending that castle last week, what was the reward for me or my guild? Did my guild get a reward for defending our castle? No, we actually lost a lot of gold buying siege engines and repairing. Maybe we won a little karma but thats it...

Now the biggest catch, what do we do when we go Wvw now? me and coupel friends just hop from one instance to another just capping the supply camps for karma, sometimes we cap undefended castles too, but dont defend it. It all turned into a big zerg around the map capping as many things in a little time and let them get capped by the enemy so u can cap them again.

At one point it was 3 big zergs of 3 servers going clockwise around the battleground just capping everything and not defending so the next group can capture it. Why defend it? whats the reward? Karma farming with a group of opposite faction is much faster, everyone is sarting to do this now...

(edit: before ppl say u get points for defending too, NO, its just a small fraction of what you would get if you were capturing it. and also its still bugged, I can stay inside the castle for hours and maybe get 1 out of 3 or 4 defense rewards)

You can ask yourself "what's the point to <insert subject here>?".  Everything has a point whether its for fun, necessity or to reach another point / target. Life itself doesnt seem to have a point regardless of your status in society.  Change your attitude to how and why you do something, it can be surprisingly refreshing.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Myself, I've never found instanced pvp fun. I don't care about rewards, just instance pvp is pointless to me.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    I'm with nayah. I much prefer non instanced PVP , but even so , any PVP I do is for pure enjoyment of fighting against other players.

That's all the reward I need.

I can't grasp still why so many , I'm assuming younger ( than me anyway ) mmorpg players think they need shinnies and a participation trophy for doing PVP.

What happened to just the fun of it and killing the enemy?

If you have to enticed into PVP for a shiny reward maybe PVP isn't for you to begin with?
  • BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    It's the same ones who bash PS2 and it's mechanics....e-gift receivers...
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

if you ask yourself that you might quit MMO's alltogether....it's a endless cycle, untill they pull the plug.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Muke

if you ask yourself that you might quit MMO's alltogether....it's a endless cycle, untill they pull the plug.

Exactly, any game is there for entertainment. No game will ever have that real filling award to it, simply because it is just a bunch of pixels.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

i played gw2 for about a month..lvld and crafted it was great fun..but after that it became dull ..so dull that i havent logged in sence..and when i do try to logg in when im bored i get to my chars screen and stare at it for a min and just *pift* why bother..its just a hampster wheel nothing grabs me in this game..its now just a empty shell of what people thought was gonna be a new standerd of mmo.....wich im glad its totally not...i cant wait till something good comes out..but then again the genra could be already pretty much dead and peaked out too fast...i never did the WvW wich is odd cuz i love pvp but i dont care for pvp that has no risk no reward involved

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

Exactly, any game is there for entertainment. No game will ever have that real filling award to it, simply because it is just a bunch of pixels.

i think he means what most of us old gamers think..whats the point..you can log into gw2 and sit in / near a camp and just finish your adjective without doing anything...whats the point of even logging in ..no real quests to work towards ..no real gear factor to work towards...no real rewards that are rewarding enuff to even play for ...im sry but there is a big majority of ppl out there that like to have a sence of feeeling that the mmorpg that you play is the same reason you log on is to work towards something..there just isnt anything there in gw2

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by odinsrath

i think he means what most of us old gamers think..whats the point..you can log into gw2 and sit in / near a camp and just finish your adjective without doing anything...whats the point of even logging in ..no real quests to work towards ..no real gear factor to work towards...no real rewards that are rewarding enuff to even play for ...im sry but there is a big majority of ppl out there that like to have a sence of feeeling that the mmorpg that you play is the same reason you log on is to work towards something..there just isnt anything there in gw2

Sorry, i am not part of your gen gaming. I have 150 hours into gw2 and my engi is only lvl 55. I am working towards finishing the story. One thing I recomend is take your time through the game. Follow some of the dynamic events, they all tell a story and sometimes even rather sad ones. Like one I did was to save a traveling noble woman who gets captured by bandits, and ofcourse I help her escape, and then I find out she is there because her husband died and she abd her child couldnt afford divinties reach. S they were forced to leave, and they were headed to lionsarch to start over. Little stories like this can take up a lot of time, and I feel are worth playing.. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

This ^

A baffling thing to think about, is if you take the OP's mentallity and apply it to ANY other genre, it doesn't make sense. So why with MMOs?

Because the one thing that sets MMOs apart from other games is the persistent world filled with a persistent virtual society.

While it need not be a "reward" in the conventional sense, it should have a point.  It should have a meaning beyond just killing pixels.  It's one of the few games in which PvP actually CAN have meaning, but game developers fail in their design to give it that meaning.

They spend enormous amounts of money to make a virtual world, then do everything they can to make it as meaningless as possible.  That's the main problem with MMOs these days.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

There's no real progression once you hit 80 GW2, that's the problem. Not in PvE and not in PvP.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    Where is the news? PvP in themeparks was, is and will always be meaningless and pointless.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Rohn 

Because the one thing that sets MMOs apart from other games is the persistent world filled with a persistent virtual society.

While it need not be a "reward" in the conventional sense, it should have a point.  It should have a meaning beyond just killing pixels.  It's one of the few games in which PvP actually CAN have meaning, but game developers fail in their design to give it that meaning.

They spend enormous amounts of money to make a virtual world, then do everything they can to make it as meaningless as possible.  That's the main problem with MMOs these days.

It does have a point for some as it is. Hell, I would argue that some are really only invested in this game for the WvW at this point.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I myself play gw2 and hardly ever pvp...svpvp is good for a few quick battles and wpvp seems zerg rush and u are just a pee in a pop...what I would like is gvg or PvP where its maybe 10v10 or 20v20 and u can use the gear u earned...as of right now since I don't wvw u don't need to grind gear unless u just wanna look pretty.
  • ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by sketchy_

I know I still have a blast in WvW. Running around with guild groups and taking on massive numbers. That's always been the part of larger scale pvp I found fun. Being outnumbered and coming out as the winner.

And fun is subjective. While some people don't care for progression and rewards in PVP but others do? why not create a balance for both type of players? no side is better or more entitled than the other because there is not just one way to have fun in an MMO.

From your posts it sounds as if your way of playing the game is the only fun way.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Really ? I think most of us old gamers have been around the block enough to know it's the same in every themepark game ...once I reach the end of the game it's over ...chasing the carrot is dead ...I'm not intrested in sitting around waiting for the next expansion and level increase to feel like I'm doing something ...In GW2 case they just don't gouge me with a monthly fee  

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

Thats the beauty of GW2 , no monthly fee.

I will most likely take a break to try other games, maybe some other MMO (maybe some old single player games, MMO's tend to get boring after a while...same old grind, different themepark)

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    So tired of these threads. The point of WvWvW is to PvP against lots of other players in a war like environment. You take and defend objectives against other people. What other "Point" do you need. It's called PvP.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

What is the "point" of any activity in any game?  Where is the true value of anything that comes from a videogame?  Maybe you should figure that one out.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

Actually I think most of us "older" gamers think the opposite of you.

We don't expect nor need shiny rewards for PVP , that PVP in itself is fun. Fighting again non AI oppenents is the reward.

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by sketchy_

And fun is subjective. While some people don't care for progression and rewards in PVP but others do? why not create a balance for both type of players? no side is better or more entitled than the other because there is not just one way to have fun in an MMO.

From your posts it sounds as if your way of playing the game is the only fun way.

I said what I found fun. That doesn't apply to everyone.

On the other hand I don't understand people that need a carrot to keep on playing. What do you do when you get your gear/title/achievement or whatever it is? Quit? Wait for the next expansion with new carrots to chase? Sounds kinda of boring if you ask me.

As long as I have fun I will continue to play and what I wrote in my first post was an example of why I still have fun in WvW.

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."