Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you pronounce MMORPG?

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
One of the fundamental laws of the universe is that if an acronym is used often enough, someone will try to pronounce it.  So, how do you pronounce MMORPG?  I vote for "more pig", so that the plural, MMORPGs, becomes "more pigs".  Saying each letter separately, as in em-em-oh-arr-pee-gee, is too clumsy.  Do you have any better ideas?

Comments

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Em Em Oh Are Pee Gee
  • Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221
    Mmorpguh
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Saur0n
    Em Em Oh Are Pee Gee

Same, or I just reduce it to Em Em Oh when speaking. I haven't heard anyone in the industry ever pronounce it as a word. (*cue the dolt that links Yahtzee*)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Its clearly MUH MORE PIG...jk M-M-O-R-P-G.
  • BadLuckBrettBadLuckBrett Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Em Em Oh Are Pee Gee

Same, or I just reduce it to Em Em Oh when speaking.

+1

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I normaly just refer to them as MMO's. The RPG,FPS or whatever rarely ever comes up unless someone doesn't know about the specific one we're talking about. I can't really see myself ever calling one of these games a more pig.
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

muh more pig guh

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I normaly just refer to them as MMO's. The RPG,FPS or whatever rarely ever comes up unless someone doesn't know about the specific one we're talking about. I can't really see myself ever calling one of these games a more pig.

more pig online

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I love it:

Morpug

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I PRONOUNCE IT:

BADASS WITH A SWORD IN YO FACE!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126
    mmmore-pergh
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Emm Emm Oh Err Peh Geh.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Mmmoooooo errr pehh gee
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    It's like how the Hebrews feel about the true name of God, it's never to be pronounced. If I actually try to describe it vocally to others I tell them I play online games.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    Originally posted by Oracle_Fefe
    Mmorpguh

^^^^

Go watch a review by Zero Punctuation on some MMORPG... He does it, sounds pretty good/funny.  That's how it should be done!

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371
    MUM-OR-PUH-GUH

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    It's like how the Hebrews feel about the true name of God, it's never to be pronounced. If I actually try to describe it vocally to others I tell them I play online games.

this

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    One of the fundamental laws of the universe is that if an acronym is used often enough, someone will try to pronounce it.  So, how do you pronounce MMORPG?  I vote for "more pig", so that the plural, MMORPGs, becomes "more pigs".  Saying each letter separately, as in em-em-oh-arr-pee-gee, is too clumsy.  Do you have any better ideas?

Laughing to hard....hilarious thread.  Thanks Quiz!!

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

In my mind, years ago, I started pronouncing it "morp" for some reason but if I ever say it out loud I usually just say M-M-O.

I've seen people change the acronym to MMOG which I think isn't a bad idea because it's at least pronouncable.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

MMORPG = more pigs = more bacon?

Thus MMORPG is clearly pronounced "bacon".

• kingj0nkingj0n Member Posts: 14

I'll never get to the stage of being pronounced.

Everyone accepted that they just call it MMOs for short.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Em Em Oh Are Pee Gee

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

em em oh ar pe gee........obviously

How do you pronunce CIA or FBI?  Is there any other way to pronunce it?

What's the point of this thread?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Why do some people insist on trying to pronounce every acronym as a word?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• LethalElementLethalElement Member Posts: 9
    I see what ya did there.