Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Player's Choice Winner Announcement

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Scot
    Perhaps the real issue, is that from now on every MMO that thinks they are in with a chance will be shouting at fans to vote. It only takes one election that wins using dodgy tactics for us to see those tactics becoming the norm.

KI does this all the time.  I receive emails from them with a link to vote on different sites.  There are also several fan sites and KI's own site which do this as well.  This time I received an email from KI and was asked to vote for pirate 101 as game of the year.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Still laughing at Guild World of WarCraft II being named as Most Innovative...
    "Hey guyse, auto-accepting quests is now the pinnacle of innovation in MMO's."

Haven't laughed this much since TORcraft review.

And here I though that the GWII hype has finally died down and people started to see that game for what it is - a WoW reskin with auto-complete quests, mediocre story and no real end-game. 

For all seriousness, though, Secret World should have won The Most Innovative part. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Wow... I read through the first 6 pages of butt-hurt replies and I'm a little shocked at how immature some of you are acting. This is a Player's Choice award and the Pirate 101 community came out in support of their game more than any other. Congrats to them for winning and all of you whiners get over yourselves. Your acting like 3 year olds.

I'm also very happy to see Star Citizen winning the Rising Star award. This will be the game to watch over the next two years. I know I voted for it in two catagories but really didn't expect it to win either. Congrats RSI and Chris Roberts! As for the rest of the winners they were pretty much as I expected. Congrats to all that won. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

MOST INNOVATIVE: Guild Wars 2

I stil find this pretty funny...

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Caldrin

must admit it made me chuckle. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Originally posted by Ortwig

Congrats to Pirates101 -- you guys did a great job of getting out the vote; may now have to go check this game out 

Big blow to the GW2 and TSW folks, but hey, looks like we're not the only players who are enthusiastic about our games.  ;)

That was the whole effort for. So people would check the game out!

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441
    When you click on P101 picture it actually shows ESO.. Muahahahahaha!
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Scarfe

As for me it didn't make me chuckle because I know:

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Originally posted by NBlitz

haha think you took that quote outta context a little, and by a little, I mean on a transatlantic airline.  But I do getcha, if all is shit, the least shit wins.  But P101 is not shit, is genuinely involved a lot of creative ideas, not cut/ paste.  In fact how it did not win most innovative is odd...

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by NBlitz

haha think you took that quote outta context a little, and by a little, I mean on a transatlantic airline.

But I do getcha, if all is shit, the least shit wins.  But P101 is not shit, is genuinely involved a lot of creative ideas, not cut/ paste.  In fact how it did not win most innovative is odd...

I forgot for a moment that this was a player's choice award so the expression does not fly (no pun intended image) in this case.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

oh hey mmorpg.com poll....hmmm

Pirate 101.

lol time to leave.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by Toxia

Pirate 101.

lol time to leave.

If that is your attitude plese let me pack your bags.  P101 was voted the best game, [mod edit].  haha I came on a little strong there but it's only cause you are pretty. 

Originally posted by Toxia

Pirate 101.

lol time to leave.

If that is your attitude plese let me pack your bags.  P101 was voted the best game, [mod edit].  haha I came on a little strong there but it's only cause you are pretty. 

sorry, I was drunk.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

GOTY for Pirate 101...........

well...all i can say is that i´m surprised.......

shocked would fit better !  :O

Congrats to winners anyway!

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Pirate101 has been one of the most unique, well designed, well executed MMOs to come along in awhile. It actually has something different and it's fun. 

a yo ho ho

• ReignsonReignson Member UncommonPosts: 21

Someone please explain to me how GW2 is innovative?   That tagline is the reason I bought the game months ago, but I failed to see any innovation during the 2 weeks I spent playing that bore fest.    

Maybe the underwater elements were sort of unique I guess.  But that more of an environmental thing, as opposed to a gameplay system.

Seriously, what system in GW2 hasn't been made/used before in another mmo first? 

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I guess GW2 fans were too busy actually enjoying their favorite game to come here and vote.

@Reignson - there are many threads on this site devoted to describing how GW2 is innovative.  Look them up.  Just because a similar system had been tried to some extent in another game doesn't mean its expansion and combination with other systems isn't innovative.

We are talking innovation, not invention.  2 different things.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• The_True_voiceThe_True_voice Member Posts: 2

Some facts that actually matter! LAUGH / RAGE all you want.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Best_PC_MMO_Game

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Best_PC_Game

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1166330-2012-possibly-best-year-ever-for-MMORPG-gamers!-(found-out-inside)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2012-awards/

just a few sites many more google is your friend....  This is a good site but thankfully you dont have a vote for us as game of the year on gw2 site to make the polls lopsided enjoy trogs frankly  in no way should a credilbe site continue to count a game that begs its players to vote in such a manner..... 100,000 votes is not the gaming world population.....

• The_True_voiceThe_True_voice Member Posts: 2
    Proof positive in your statement that you have limited knowledge of what is out there in the gaming world.  Further it proves your limited knowledge of what gw2 is but hey where the hell is mist of pandaria at on this list if you really wanna start trolling?
  • IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    I can see how each game got these awards except guild wars, it doesn't seem innovative at all to me, besides the fact that you can chain ability with other players creating different effects, that is about this only thing that did that is " innovative".
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    There are serious morals and lessons to be learnt from this poll. It shows the power of 'something' when a little-known game can 'beat' the rest.

(...And GW2 - a WoW clone - getting the most innovative award!! - I mean, WTF is going on there?!)
  • GoldenRheaGoldenRhea Member CommonPosts: 3
    I love Pirate 101 and the pvp is awesome I love doing pvp hand to hand and getting face to face with the person you're fighting it's great and battling ships is great the game over all is great :D
  • raeven63raeven63 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Never heard of Pirates 101/  I would say Far Cry 3, Guild War's 2,Dishonored and Assassin's Creed 3. Borderlands 2 was also good..and Diablo 3.
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

Best game won. Seriously though, Guild Wars 2 is overhyped rubbish. The core design, removing the trinity, is absolute failure for dungons, which sadly is how you get the epic lootz skins which end-game is all about. On what it is, Pirate 101 is actually a pretty deep and well made game even if its not my cup of tea.

PS. MMORPG.com please fix your autoloading comments, I dont want to have to sit here holding my page down key for 5 minutes until the comments stop loading so that I can add mine. Please add a button at the top somewhere that lets me directly add my comment.

• AlundilAlundil Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by I_Return

THis is ther second time this company has done this, the also did on the front page with most anticipated game leading guild wars before its release by over 100k votes, as user of this site we have no say cause money talks.

Or, you know... maybe your paranoia isn't warranted and the Pirate101 fans simply had a better showing than fans of those other games?

My god are there some bitter sore losers around here.

I didn't vote for Pirate101 either, but for crying out loud... I can accept that the one I chose didn't win the category. What baffles me is how "personally offended" or "outraged" some people act over the whole thing. Is anything in your lives going to change because a game you don't like won, or because the game you voted for didn't? I mean really?

Talk about first world problems.

Get some perspective, folks.

Well said. I don't play P101 and didn't vote for P101 (disclaimer my wife and I do play W101 with our kids). KingsIsle looks/sounds/is(?) a talented dev shop who are succeeding in making a game that their fans enjoy and support. What's the problem with that again? Nothing as far as I can see.

Complaining about because like ^ said above "it's not a game you like" is silly or complaining about it because it's not "hardcore" is equally silly.

They are successful.. Get over it and move on, or give it a try and find that you might like what they offer.

Either way - congrats to KI/P101.