Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Player's Choice Winner Announcement

Comments

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    Originally posted by Zalmon

The point here is not whether TSW lost by a large margin but the point is that its community is mature and understands that Pirate 101 has a very dedicated playerbase which came forward to represent. If TSW players also put in similar effort we would have won too. But we didn't so big deal? ehh?

Now whether any MMO on that poll is worth of winning a "game of the year award "or not is decided by the players like you and me. As far as your kid thinking that game is lame means nothing really. Unless he and you universally speak for all the players.

I like how you add 'you folks can continue to grip' after griping for one full paragraph. lol

What i get from your rambling is that 'i hate the game so every one else should hate it too'. And  i thought you really understood a little fact of life when i told you last time that 'different people like different things in life'.

Why would I hate the game?  I don't. 

No you don't. You are just upset that a game you have no interest in won the polls. 

As you said the very fact that their playerbase came in mass here and voted, thus creating the result, doesn't really matter.  As any game could have done that.  Therefore making the vote entirely pointless. 

No it is not piontless..because that is th whole point. hence, the title 'players choice award'. Means players vote and decide. By same logic no matter which MMO wisn it is pointless because anyone can register, make an account and vote. I guess you didn't understand what kind of polling this is and confusing it with critics award or something.

Was that the point you were trying to make?  Because you just made it.  And I totally agree with you.   That was actually my point too. 

So why are we still arguing?

As for your little fact of life, "different people like different things in life" I have to admit that totally blew my mind oh wise sage of saginess.  Did you come up with that all by yourself?  I mean what an utter revelation you have there.  Wow. 

And yet you can not fathom that people like something you don't. Guess you need this revelation plastered on your wall.

Allow me to explain something to you.  Saying completely obvious as hell things as though you are teaching some kind of lesson to someone you don't even know doesn't make you look smart or sophisticated.   Does the opposite. 

No actually i was stating the obvious thinking you would be able to understand and stop complaining. My bad..gave you too much credit. I don't know about being sophisticated  or smart but i am not the one trying to put down others for their choice of game and laughing at them.

If you were really that smart, you would have accepted the result and moved on by now.

Let me know if you need more obvious facts(because i think you do). I am always ready to help.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

It certainly seems that Pirate 101 has a much better community than GW2. It is GW2 that has the more players right? And they could not muster enough to vote for their own game.

David slew Goliath this year.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Scot

It certainly seems that Pirate 101 has a much better community than GW2. It is GW2 that has the more players right? And they could not muster enough to vote for their own game.

David slew Goliath this year.

A more accurate way to view this is the people who play GW2 don't care as much and were not pushed to vote.  As both a GW2 player and a pirate 101 player and subscriber, I saw many threads on fan sites and  a thread on KI's own site as well as receiving an email from Kingsisle to vote.  GW2 had nowhere near the same push.  Not to mention the hundreds of people who created mutiple accounts to vote more than once.   I was actually told by more than a few people to do that to help pirate 101 win.

I am also surprised no one mentioned the gaming magazine, forgot which one, had an issue with the same people voting over and over again for Wizard 101 in their game of the year voting a few years back.  I remember they looked into it and said it was the only time they ever had a  discussion about retracting the award. 

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Wow!, did not see that coming!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Reading GW2 fans raging over the results puts a sunny smile on my face image
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Hollow victory for Pirate101 fans. They won a popularity contest and in doing so put themselves on the radar in a negative way. Now they can dissapear again and we can all move on.
  • IcyWizIcyWiz Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Methos12
    Originally posted by Ardu

This absolutely ridiculous, Pirate101 wins game of the year? I’m not convince, how much did KingsIsle pay to get that?

It's called giving free stuff if you vote for our game. Eh.

NONE of the games offered free stuff. That's stated in the first paragraph. Sour grapes much?

• IcyWizIcyWiz Member UncommonPosts: 14

If GW2 had put a link on their launcher, they would have won. I'm pretty sure they didn't give a crap about winning, because that's an awfully simple link to add yet they didn't do it.

That being said, I happen to love GW2. And if you're thinking of giving it a try, please don't be put off by the bratty behavior of the GW2 players posting in this thread. These gripers represent a tiny sliver of GW2 players. Everyone I've met in-game is nice.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Zalmon

The point here is not whether TSW lost by a large margin but the point is that its community is mature and understands that Pirate 101 has a very dedicated playerbase which came forward to represent. If TSW players also put in similar effort we would have won too. But we didn't so big deal? ehh?

Now whether any MMO on that poll is worth of winning a "game of the year award "or not is decided by the players like you and me. As far as your kid thinking that game is lame means nothing really. Unless he and you universally speak for all the players.

I like how you add 'you folks can continue to grip' after griping for one full paragraph. lol

What i get from your rambling is that 'i hate the game so every one else should hate it too'. And  i thought you really understood a little fact of life when i told you last time that 'different people like different things in life'.

Isnt it possible that TSW fans also recognized that GW2 was more deserving and voted for it?

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Shubawkss
    A game with a sack of shit developers and horrible gameplay - YEAH!!!

Even with that, it still managed second place, so that's pretty good.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Interesting results.  Like other posters, I was surprised to see Pirate101 voted game of the year, and have now downloaded it to try for myself.  I did play Wizard101 for a while and there was a lot about it I liked, so hopefully this one will keep me occupied for a wee while.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

LOL

Now people here that though themselves to be too good to play something like Pirates 101 will have to go check it out. Double success for the Pirates 101 campaign.

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

Tryed P101 andd it's one of the crappest MMO F2P that i ever played. And i tryed thousands of them... ok, hundreds :) Honestly it isn't a GOTY, not as F2P nor as best game all business kind. Werll, i suppose that KingIsle has a great marketing office if a really crap and bugged MMO can win this title.

TESO is not a surprise for me, it's the only 2013 MMORG that i'd waiting for if i still play MMO. But i stopped to play this genere (only exception: P101 because i'm very curious after it wins GOTY), so no TESO next year for me. But public dungeons and a lot of other ideas from Bethesda tell me that TESO should be the new DAoC. GL Bethesda, yuo need to work hard for this goal.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    Paid for and tried some of them but I think the choices are so because of lack rather than actual excellence.

• nesogranesogra Member Posts: 1

To those knocking pirate101 as a kid’s game, have you actually tried it?  You will be pleasantly surprised.  Yes it is a much more simple game but how is that a problem?  You basically log in and start having fun as there are very few grinds to get to the fun parts.  What I see in the comments here are of the same mindset of those who bash Pixar films as not being serious films.  Yet Pixar, just like Ki, keeps preforming year after year.  Just giving you something to think about.

• PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116

I missed the voting, Was Defiance in the list of most anticipated ?

Because it should be.

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by PittyH

I missed the voting, Was Defiance in the list of most anticipated ?

Because it should be.

If you follow the last link in the OP it shows all of the candidates as well as the voting tallies. IIRC Defiance wasn't listed.

<3

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Well I did play GW2 longer than P101 before I realized it was garbage and uninstalled it, but not my much.
  • KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    Are you bloody kidding me? Pirate101?! I played that and it definitely wasn't anywhere near GotY quality!!! It is not a good game; it's buggy, has dated-looking graphics, has the overall feel of a F2P game when it is B2P or possibly sub, and the turn-based combat has some serious issues at times! Epic fail of a poll!

If anything, it's an epic success of a poll.  We asked folks to vote, and P101's players came out to represent their game more than anyone else did. They deserve a congrats for having such a passionate fan-base.  

Indeed and well-said, Bill.

But you know how it goes, any time the game chosen isn't some individual's personal favorite, it's regarded as a great travesty and a crime against humanity.

People will get over it.

Or not.

Either way, congrats to the winners!

I must say I find it quite interesting that a full detailed review feature on Pirate101 that I wrote and submitted for publication well over a week before the poll finished, where I gave it the criticism it deserved and needed (overall score 5 out of 10), has still not been published. I didn't use increadibly lewd, racist or insulting language in it, it's thoroughly laid out in detail, takes about 20 minutes to read...and they didn't publish it during the poll. I find that slightly odd.

Where's the any key?

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    well... I guess I'll mark this as a win for the pirate 101 marketing team.. but I can't take this as an honest to goodness serious win.  Can't help but think that people are playing a joke here.  Have no interest in.. or know anyone who does have an interest in that game... Sure it might be fun to some but game of the year?...seriously?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    Perhaps the real issue, is that from now on every MMO that thinks they are in with a chance will be shouting at fans to vote. It only takes one election that wins using dodgy tactics for us to see those tactics becoming the norm.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Perhaps the real issue, is that from now on every MMO that thinks they are in with a chance will be shouting at fans to vote. It only takes one election that wins using dodgy tactics for us to see those tactics becoming the norm.

These tactics have been around for a long time. Turbine back in the day told its entire player base if the came over here and created an account they would get an in game cloak, they asked us to vote for game of the year. Not only on this site but on the exteemest web site for march madness that year.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Fantastic!  Well done P101. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Actually, thus far the majority of the marketing departments seem to be excercising restraint.  Or, more likely--they don't consider this site and/or its 'award' important enough to 'sic the fans on' vs, the inevitable distasteful blowback from those same fans.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    An online poll generating e-rage? Who'd a thunk it.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."