Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Song of Ice and Fire/GoT MMORPG

AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

http://www.gameofthronesmmo.com/

Anyone have high hopes about this?

I was slightly obsessed with the books and can't wait till the shows airs on HBO again. 

I tried to get into the MUD but I have 0 MUD experience. 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

Comments

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Hopefully you can chose what city you start in and what "race" you want to be and it plays like a sandbox with ongoing wars, castle sieges, politics,crafting,hidden magic,action combat and powerful monsters.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

It could be interesting. IGN had some interesting tidbits about it although that was way back in March. Haven't really heard much since then.

Hard to get too enthused considering how most of these types of ventures end up panning out. Would be nice if one was actually badass.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Hopefully you can chose what city you start in and what "race" you want to be and it plays like a sandbox with ongoing wars, castle sieges, politics,crafting,hidden magic,action combat and powerful monsters.

Right???

I'm pretty sure the MUD played like that - might look into that as I have the next 2 weeks off from work and could (try) to learn it.

The politics/diplomacy of the world could be a game in itself. 

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Being a web based browser MMO I have my doubts for the game.  Love the books and the shows but as an MMO.... first impressions is that it is simpely an IP cash grab like how SWTOR was.
  • AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Being a web based browser MMO I have my doubts for the game.  Love the books and the shows but as an MMO.... first impressions is that it is simpely an IP cash grab like how SWTOR was.

Gotcha.

Simply because I loved the books/show I'll probably give it a try - just long enough to kill Baelish, hang out on the Iron Islands, and run with Jaqen H'gar.

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

This ^

A GoT MMO has three strikes against it, right out of the gate.  

Strike 1: Games based on existing IP's usually suck (note: I said "usually").   

Strike 2: Browser-based MMOs usually suck.

Strike 3: Bigpoint develops games that always suck.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Selyse

http://www.gameofthronesmmo.com/

Anyone have high hopes about this?

Nope.  It will end up as the same old crap we've been getting for well over a decade.  I'd rather they left the books/TV series alone.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Have to agree, here. The books are very singular in scope. It is all based on many main characters that I cannot see translating well to a massively multi-player online game.

The transition from books to TV series was not that good. I still enjoy the shows, but they pale in comparison to reading the books. So much got lost in the translation. I think more will get lost in the translation to an MMO.

It's a hot commodity and George is raking in the dough. I am happy for him, but sometimes dollar signs get in the way of common sens :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    The IP *could* be good for your virtual world type MMO, given that it isn't about one particular uber hero that the 'rush to end game and move on' crowd has come to expect.  I don't really have any hopes for this though.  Would be nice to be presently surprised of course.
  • MoutonDocileMoutonDocile Member Posts: 17
    I like the lore, I like the subject. Could be interesting. I hope they keep this thing as open and brutal as the series is.