Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No chat bubbles again ?

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Elandir90
    Originally posted by Justin9820
    Its funny, OP gave up on this after being completely ignorant to the other side of the argument. Why make a thread if you dont want to hear the answer you dont want to?

I gave up dealing with the insane guy.  Yes i did

you can talk against it as much as you want to, but as a toggleable feature, there is not much to go against it, you use it if you want to. 

I'm up to discussion, no point being here otherwise.

well, some people are better transmitters then recievers, they like the soapbox, and some post stuff just for the argument they know it will cause.

• Justin9820Justin9820 Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Zyzra
    Originally posted by Justin9820
    Originally posted by xzyax

You aren't being very honest about a LOT of the time spent by players in DarkFall SEANMCAD.

You seem to have "forgotten" the countless hours that the vast majority of the server spent doing nothing other than swimming into a wall, or sitting in a rigor pyramid getting their defenses to skill up.

Oh yeah... there was that countless hours of "doing nothing".  I'm sure that none of those players did any chatting with their group mates during any of that stuff though.  Nope, not in DarkFall. 

Give me a break.

DarkFall had more hours of "doing nothing" than most MMOs.  image

by any chance you wouldnt consider this a change of subject would you?

You are the one that said AV didn't want the players sitting around chatting. 

by any chance you wouldn't consider your response an unwillingness to admit that DarkFall had many, many hours of "doing noting" where chat bubbles would have actually been a fun feature many might have enjoyed?  image

I'll take on your absolutely garbage argument. Mostly because i can answer is in 4 words.

THOSE PEOPLE WERE AFK

They might have stayed and made chat bubbles though if they could have!  Such a feature would probably have doubled the fun things that could have been done in Darkfall 1!

so help me understand, you actually sat down and thought to yourself SEANMCAD and justin clearly are people who support AFK swimming. They actually think that aspect of the game is of good design.

There are two options here. either A. you actually think that or B. you are being deceptive. One option makes you look stupid while the other option makes you look dishonest.

oopsy kind scr*wed yourself over a little there didnt you? :)

Edit: sorry, im stupid and misread what you said.
  • ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

I mean the best improvement to this expansion/new game is the UI.  Why would Aventurine possibly screw that up by allowing a group of characters to make it very hard to see anything so long as the characters keep spamming chat bubbles?

I mean sure, maybe there could be a toggle so you don't see chat bubbles for situations like that.  Perhaps there is another toggle so you don't show your own chat bubble.  Do you think Aventurine would really feel this is a feature that needs to be included ever when it seems very likely to become either not used or buggy?

I guess those who want to role play in a secluded forest instead of doing anything the game encourages could get some use out of it though.  You know, so that way they feel in character in their one on one conversation as massive letters appear over the other persons head.

It's a so-so idea for a comic book style game, at best.

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    I would turn them off. Bubbles may give gankers the idea I am not paying attention to my sorroundings.
  • xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Sure, go for it.  I am sitting down and everything... waiting for your most magnificient answer.  Ohh... this is going to be good.  I hope I don't faint in the anticipation.  image

you have now basically assumed the postion that you actually and in all full honesty think that I think afk swimming is a good gaming design.

are you aware of that? are you aware of how that makes you look?

So wait... that was your awesome response?  image

Oh well, maybe next time right?  We can't hit them out of the park all the time. 

Sure, go for it.  I am sitting down and everything... waiting for your most magnificient answer.  Ohh... this is going to be good.  I hope I don't faint in the anticipation.  image

you have now basically assumed the postion that you actually and in all full honesty think that I think afk swimming is a good gaming design.

Oh well, maybe next time right?  We can't hit them out of the park all the time. 

So besides swimming, responses, and baseball, how do you two feel about chat bubbles in Darkfall: Unholy Wars?

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

This discussion is absurd. People are actually arguing against socializing options in an MMO, claiming they get in the way of "doing stuff".

Sometimes the DF community makes me think more of a MOBA than an MMO.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Biskop

This discussion is absurd. People are actually arguing against socializing options in an MMO, claiming they get in the way of "doing stuff".

makes perfect sense to me.

to be fair some people dont 'get' darkfall and that is fine, just play something else.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

It isn't that they're against all socialization options in every MMO, but that this particular one doesn't work with this particular MMO.

For instance, would you want a webcam image of your actual self floating over your head and updating in real time?  I mean this could help socialize because people could put a character name to a real face and see you laughing at jokes.  So it can't be bad right?  Unless you're one of those MOBA community people.

no that was not my awesome response I am building up to it.

So, given that you have taken the position that I and some others actually think AFK swiming is a good game design let me play along although I have to say I think you are more intelligent then that and instead are being dishonest. That said, I will will play along with the assumption that you do believe that.

I do not agree that AFK swimming or other AFK activities are a good game design and I think that is a failure on their part and I think they would agree with that.

I havent said that I think the developers are AV were SUCCESSFUL at creating a game designed to encourage doing things other than chatting I am however saying that was their INTENTION which there is a difference.

With that said, AFK swimming and not using the game as a chat engine are somewhat different subjects.

I personally think you know this, but decided to pretend like you didnt.

This other game had the socializing features of letting the players have rooftop dance parties to music from today's top charts, artists such as Britney Spears.

I mean if you are against such social options you are clearly absurd and a MOBA community member, at least according to this one Biskop guy.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Quicksand

You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

But on to your claim "AV wanted people to be in battles, combat, running around and exploring. Not sitting around chatting."

So what you are saying is, the reason chat bubbles are not an option (and should not be an option in the devs opinions) is because the developer of a SANDBOX game only wants people playing the SANDBOX game the way they think it should be played instead of just giving the players all the sand they need to build whatever gaming experience they want?

I think what your describing is a THEMEPARK game.

But anyways... Maybe DF isn't really a sandbox game anyways...

your trying to have a different conversation that I am not having. I do not have sandbox vs themepark conversations because they are class A stupid.

First and perhaps most importantly, you did not use the term "vast majority" anywhere in that reply. I will right it off as an oversight (this time!)

Second, how can you say "I do not have sandbox vs themepark conversations" when you just now, in that reply engaged in a conversasion about...... Sanbox vs themepark!   I think what you meant to say is you dont have DEBATES about sandbox vs themepark. (no thanks for the educational tutorial on arrogant statements is needed. Call it a free lesson.

Last, using the words sandbox and themepark in a reply in no way classifies the said reply as a debate on that topic. HOWEVER, if you're going to claim the developers intent for the game as a reason to exclude an option then YOU have brought the developers intent into the conversation. EVERYONE knows that AV repeatedly (then and now) proudly proclaim DF as the Sandbox game of all sandbox games, thus, making the options included or excluded and their relevance to sandbox vs themebox precisely ON POINT with your claims.

Yeah, I know...

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

Originally posted by Quicksand   Second, how can you say "I do not have sandbox vs themepark conversations" when you just now, in that reply engaged in a conversasion about...... Sanbox vs themepark!  

clever but no...not going to do it sorry try someone else

Originally posted by Quicksand   Second, how can you say "I do not have sandbox vs themepark conversations" when you just now, in that reply engaged in a conversasion about...... Sanbox vs themepark!  

Don't need to try anyone else, continuing to reply to the parts of the thread regarding sandbox, then claiming you dont talk about sandbox simply proves the point you just quoted.

I dont want to DEBATE the sandbox topic, I dont care about it. But you're missunderstanding of the definition of the word conversation is whats getting you. You have and are not in fact having a textual conversation about sandbox. You really should believe me, the term you are trying to express is DEBATE not conversation.

And again, you brought it up, not me.

But, then...

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

Don't need to try anyone else, continuing to reply to the parts of the thread regarding sandbox, then claiming you dont talk about sandbox simply proves the point you just quoted.

I dont want to DEBATE the sandbox topic, I dont care about it. But you're missunderstanding of the definition of the word conversation is whats getting you. You have and are not in fact having a textual conversation about sandbox. You really should believe me, the term you are trying to express is DEBATE not conversation.

But, then...

I can assure you from experience on this site if you keep that up with myself and others they will slap you for it.

Looks like I am done for the holidays anyway so go find someone else to fight straw with

But, then...

I can assure you from experience on this site if you keep that up with myself and others they will slap you for it.

Looks like I am done for the holidays anyway so go find someone else to fight straw with

slap me for it? I am afraid the meaning of the term escapes me. Obviously its not literal and the forum meaning is something I dont know, so if it was intended as funny, I missed it (sorry) if it was intended as an insult then again, I missed it (sorry). otherwise nice job libbing up the conversation, its always nice to see you guys dance.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Im not sure why you guys hate bubble chat. You can always disable it if you hate it or dont chat in public. In my expenrience, in DF 1.0, public chat was always emtpy for a reason. Even in chaos cities, players whispered each others when they were right beside each others. How bad is that?

Im in the beta and i dont give a fuck about the DNA. So let me just say that the new chat system is even worst than what we had in DF 1.0.

There's no way to intereact with someone in front of you cuz that guy on the global chat instead of the area(public chat) So he cannot see what you are saying.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

I hate chat bubbles cluttering up the screen. Personal preference, nothing more.

Maybe the Aventurine people feel the same way.

Do you understand that Chat bubble is an OPTIONAL feature at least ? Aventurine could understand the same. 

My favorite restaurant sells shrimp, i hate shrimp but i don't mind if other people go there and eat it. The restaurant doesn't lose any value at all because of it.  

Chat bubbles are the voice of your character, without it you can't talk properly in a local perspective. I don't look at the chat box all the time but at my character and his surroundins i'm always aware. Thats the usefulness of the bubbles. Be "heard" when the chat channels are crowded or to get attention from someone near you. 

Even helping a noob was hard at DF1, once i was approaching a starter area and got near a noob. He started running as soon as he saw me. I tried to speak to him but was pointless, he wasn't looking at the chatbox and thats just one of the examples.  

Another awful situation was trading with strangers in a crowded place, with chat bubbles i could type "'/say I'm Here" and the guy would see me, but in DF you had to SEARCH the guy you were SPEAKING WITH. It's silly. 

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

I can kind of see where you're coming from in the perspective of some player who's looking for non-guilded route. I often times in games without chat bubbles find myself not even looking at the chat box.

Probably isn't even hard to add. However, I think you're FAR BETTER off putting this in the suggestions on the forums.

It isn't that they're against all socialization options in every MMO, but that this particular one doesn't work with this particular MMO.

For instance, would you want a webcam image of your actual self floating over your head and updating in real time?  I mean this could help socialize because people could put a character name to a real face and see you laughing at jokes.  So it can't be bad right?  Unless you're one of those MOBA community people.

Yeah, throw in some random straw man bs and hope it will make up for your lack of arguments.

Who's asking for shit like that? Chat bubbles is a common MMO feature and it helps communication between random strangers, which helps build relations within the game and promotes the social part of this Massive Multiplayer game.

You shouldn't have to check the constant spam of the global chat window just to converse with the person in front of you.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Let me get this straight...

If I am a head hunter, and decide to use chat bubbles to spot individuals out (a tremendous advantage might I add), how do my victims turning on/off their chat bubble in their clients affect me at all? Whether you have yours on or off doesn't change that fact mine is on and I'm using them to gain an advantage on your location.

Unless you are telling me that the option people are requesting for is to enable/disable their chat to/from being seen in bubbles in other player's clients, isn't that the kind of 1up advantage in a PVP MMO that AV is trying to prevent?

Can you imagine what it would even be like, not to mention to programming headache,  if that option was available? I got 4 guys in from of me talking but only 2 are giving me chat bubbles...

@ bossalinie

In this type of game chat bubbles should only be visible when someone uses local chat.

And tbh I don't think anyone in their right mind would be using local chat in pvp situations. Chat bubbles are more for idle chats in safe areas, trade, etc.

If you want to be sneaky and hide your position you shouldn't be chatting, but use vent and/or whisper/group chat.
  • hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by Celusios

I can kind of see where you're coming from in the perspective of some player who's looking for non-guilded route. I often times in games without chat bubbles find myself not even looking at the chat box.

Probably isn't even hard to add. However, I think you're FAR BETTER off putting this in the suggestions on the forums.

Oooh but thats is done already. Not only by me.

Yeah, throw in some random straw man bs and hope it will make up for your lack of arguments.

Who's asking for shit like that? Chat bubbles is a common MMO feature and it helps communication between random strangers, which helps build relations within the game and promotes the social part of this Massive Multiplayer game.

You shouldn't have to check the constant spam of the global chat window just to converse with the person in front of you.

So you are against a socialization option in an mmo.

I was merely using a very absurd example to show how your overgeneralization of social features and MMOs and gaming communities made it very easy for someone to rip apart such a statement, as I did.

And as I said, I think the actual situations where chat bubbles provide something worthwhile in darkfall will be staggeringly limited.  The game could just use /tell which has been around since before MMOs had graphics and get the same one on one effect.  Or a /say, also been around since the dawn of forever ago in gaming, for conversations with a couple people standing next to each other.

If you are talking to more than a couple people the chat bubbles could quickly overwhelm players views, or even other chat bubble views depending on how they are implemented.  This means people would probably once again have to use the chatbox.  With a dozen people in an area chatting in a local place with chat bubbles, it could quickly become difficult to determine who was talking or in what order.  Ah the benifits of a chatbox yet again.

And besides, it wasn't a straw man, because I mentioned a socializing option in an MMO, and that is what you are saying was absurd to argue against.  Then you argued against it so... :P

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i dont really care about chat bubbles....what i do care about is general chat....man it's horrible in DF right now.

they should REALLY, REALLY have only proximity, and clan/guild chat. nothing worse than being in the middle of the forest and watching the deluge of crap going on in General chat, all in CAPS of course cause that's just how the cool kids do it now....

....it's soo retarded.