Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No chat bubbles again ?

hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

It sounds silly, but for me chat bubbles is one of the most important features regarding players interaction. 

Without it i feel muted. It hinders player interaction and takes away the cities life. When you are out in the world its even worse, people don't usually mind the chat box at all. It evens make  swearing or boasting pointless after you kill an enemy. DF1 didn't have it, DF UW should have !!!! 

Played DF1 for some good months and rarelly talked to anyone besides guildmates or alliance members. But even inside those  "friendly grounds" communications was difficult. 

Chat bubbles is a simple feature, i hope they implement it this time. 

Comments

• Justin9820Justin9820 Member Posts: 49
    OMG did you really just blame your lack of socializing on a lack of chat bubbles????
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Elandir90

It sounds silly, but for me chat bubbles is one of the most important features regarding players interaction. 

Without it i feel muted. It hinders player interaction and takes away the cities life. When you are out in the world its even worse, people don't usually mind the chat box at all. It evens make  swearing or boasting pointless after you kill an enemy. DF1 didn't have it, DF UW should have !!!! 

Played DF1 for some good months and rarelly talked to anyone besides guildmates or alliance members. But even inside those  "friendly grounds" communications was difficult. 

Chat bubbles is a simple feature, i hope they implement it this time. 

I feel, nearly word for word, the exact opposite.

Chat bubbles to me rob from the world experience and limit communication because people move away from voice.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Well, i suppose i can give a legitimate response to you. The reason chat bubbles wont work in darkfall is simple, its a pvp game. In darkfall you can see people coming from quite a distance away, and if chat bubbles were to work at all, they would have to be very close range. However, by the time players got to a range that chat bubbles would be acceptable, they would already be fighting.

Edit: Chat bubbles would work in cities and friendly areas, but honestly, looking all over my screen for chat bubbles is infinitely worse in my opinion than just having a box for it.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Does Darkfall has voice chat support ?!  I don't think so.

Your point is true in a guild perspective. But for the hole game, its not great.

About DF being pvp and chat bubbles. No problem at all, no need to talk in "/say" during a  raid or siege. If you do and the chat bubble pops for the enemy, your fault. 

IMO the lack of chat bubbles is not good for any mmo.  It could be turned on and off like on the other games.

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194

It lacks chat bubbles? :/ that does kinda suck.

So much for Roleplay.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Tis not a fully fledged triple A mmo so what do you expect?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    While you are busy roleplaying chatting with bubbles, I'll sneak up and stab you in the back.. Easy loots!!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by azzamasin

Chat bubble is not a massive feature, you don't need to have a triple A budget to have it.

Darkfall supports massive PLAYABLE sieges, no excuse for the lack of chat bubbles, RP is severely damaged without it. 

I'm not a RPer myself, but i do like to be "in character" sometimes, so i kinda feel their pain.

Originally posted by azzamasin

Chat bubble is not a massive feature, you don't need to have a triple A budget to have it.

Darkfall supports massive PLAYABLE sieges, no excuse for the lack of chat bubbles, RP is severely damaged without it. 

I'm not a RPer myself, but i do like to be "in character" sometimes, so i kinda feel their pain.

Im not sure why you think that chat bubbles would be good in sieges. If any thing that would be one of the arguments against them.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Thats because ultimatly darkfall is a GvG pvp arena. The devs don't really care for such fluff for roleplayers because why cater to under 1% of your playerbase with such features when most people are there for Guild vs Guild PVP. Otherwise chat bubbles/siting on chairs or building your own house in some corner of the world would of already been implemented long ago during DF1.

also before i get flamed I agree that DF:UW is probably the best game on the market for GvG warfare, not trying to diss DF in anyway shape or form. just stating my opinion of my perception of what DF:UW is.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I am a huge fame of community building and social play, but I just have never got the need for chat bubbles....

I don't understand this particular drama :/

Chat bubbles are an issue of immersion. Do you really at any point want chat bubbles on your screen? For me when i see a chat bubbles it kind of bothers me, I don't want anything extra blocking my view than their has to be. That and having chat in 2 places is pointless, since after it becomes a 3 or 4 way convo chat bubbles become uselsss and you end up reading the chat box anyways.

Edit: to elaborate on my first point, the main thing i dislike about having chat bubbles on my screen is that 95% of the time its just other people talking to eachother. i just dont care what they are saying to eachother, so i would rather ignore it in my chat bar(or quickly skim through it).

Your point is true in a guild perspective. But for the hole game, its not great.

About DF being pvp and chat bubbles. No problem at all, no need to talk in "/say" during a  raid or siege. If you do and the chat bubble pops for the enemy, your fault. 

IMO the lack of chat bubbles is not good for any mmo.  It could be turned on and off like on the other games.

it doesnt but to be frank if you are a player and dont have the knowedge to get your voice set up on your PC you have no business playing an MMO anyway. Although MMOs dont direclty supply you with voice they also dont supply you with a keyboard. 3rd party voice systems in the MMO world is about as common as late night playtime.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

it doesnt but to be frank if you are a player and dont have the knowedge to get your voice set up on your PC you have no business playing an MMO anyway. Although MMOs dont direclty supply you with voice they also dont supply you with a keyboard. 3rd party voice systems in the MMO world is about as common as late night playtime.

I would say the main problem with ingame voice is probably quaility.  It would be pretty ridiculous to think a gaming company can make a voice client at even close to the same standards as a company like ventrilo or mumble.

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194

Sorry for going off topic, but, I just downloaded the game and I'm curious as to when the servers will be up.

Anyone have any idea? I'll be playing in the EU server.

Originally posted by Vesavius

I am a huge fame of community building and social play, but I just have never got the need for chat bubbles....

No drama here.

Chat bubbles is a simple feature, one that you can use or not. Stating that you are a socializer and dont like chat bubbles does not make it worthless.

When having more options became a bad thing ?  specially when it is an optional thing. 

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

I dont know about the roleplay value of chat bubbles or not, but for me, I never notice a single thing anyone standing around me says if there are no chat bubbles. It helps me realize someone standing next to me spoke. Kinda like adding the abiblity to hear the guy next to you say something, you turn and look to see if he is talking to you. without chat bubbles stuff just scrolls right by in the chat box (which I only use when looking for something or saying something in global myself.)

*Edit*

Also, having the option to use them or not use them makes since, me using chat bubbles in no way hurts someone that doesn't want them. Unless they are sitting at home throwing chairs screaming out  "I knew it!!! he is a chat bubbler!!!! thats the only reason he killed me!!!"

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

No drama here.

Chat bubbles is a simple feature, one that you can use or not. Stating that you are a socializer and dont like chat bubbles does not make it worthless.

When having more options became a bad thing ?  specially when it is an optional thing. 

well there are two main reasons why they are not use in darkfall.

1. the team and most of the core player based are philosophically against them. By that mean what Darkfall target to be different than other MMO's was various things such as chat bubbles because they and their core  players feel like its better to have the game experience more 'real life like' (yeah I know there is magic but we all know what that means when we say 'real life like). So with that said, investing in a feature that really diverts away from their core intrest and community doesnt make a lot of sense.

2. any feature whatsoever in the game that can in any way whatsoever give one player advantage over another the entire community will start to do and then complain that they 'have to'. I am not sure if chat bubbles is part of that equation but its something they have to consider every time they put in a new feature.

Oh really ?   

Smart guy, thanks for the tip. I'll search about it right now !! if only there was a place to search about stuff on the internet, do you know any ?

How on earth would i voice chat with TheRandomKingofFools with a 3rd party voice system, smarty... care to enlighten me ?

Originally posted by Justin9820

I would say the main problem with ingame voice is probably quaility.  It would be pretty ridiculous to think a gaming company can make a voice client at even close to the same standards as a company like ventrilo or mumble.

and I dont think there really is any need to. I know if I ran a dev firm that would be very low on my list of things to worry about. I am not going to hire an entire sperate dev team to re-invent something someone can download and install themselves with help from the community in about 5 mins.

Oh really ?   

Smart guy, thanks for the tip. I'll search about it right now !! if only there was a place to search about stuff on the internet, do you know any ?

How on earth would i voice chat with TheRandomKingofFools with a 3rd party voice system, smarty... care to enlighten me ?

Some have set up regional trade voice chat channels open to all.

having said that, the vast majority of players (at least in darkfall) arent running around making new friends every hour. Usually if they need to talk to someone outside of their alliance or extended friend list they just send a personal message and its fine. But like I say, that is rare and even more rare when in battle together becuase chat bubble or not chatting while in battle for darkfall is not going to work.

many alliances will set up an open voice chat channel for things such as trade with strangers. If player doesnt have vent, well ...da*nit ok we will text change

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

No drama here.

well there are two main reasons why they are not use in darkfall.

1. the team and most of the core player based are philosophically against them. By that mean what Darkfall target to be different than other MMO's was various things such as chat bubbles because they and their core  players feel like its better to have the game experience more 'real life like' (yeah I know there is magic but we all know what that means when we say 'real life like). So with that said, investing in a feature that really diverts away from their core intrest and community doesnt make a lot of sense.

2. any feature whatsoever in the game that can in any way whatsoever give one player advantage over another the entire community will start to do and then complain that they 'have to'. I am not sure if chat bubbles is part of that equation but its something they have to consider every time they put in a new feature.

That's about the lamest excuse for dev laziness I've ever seen. Philosophically against chat bubbles? lol. AV just cba to put them in, that's the whole story. And please don't pull the "realism" card, it's absurd to even try to claim DF simulates real life in any way whatsoever. Or can you bunny hop faster than a horse irl? Fall off cliffs and never get hurt? Shoot arrows under water? 

Optional chat bubbles would mean you can easily communicate with people in your surroundings, ask questions or just chat away in town. Why anyone would be against that stuff in an MMO is beyond me.

Oh really ?   

Some have set up regional trade voice chat channels open to all.

having said that, the vast majority of players (at least in darkfall) arent running around making new friends every hour. Usually if they need to talk to someone outside of their alliance or extended friend list they just send a personal message and its fine. But like I say, that is rare and even more rare when in battle together becuase chat bubble or not chatting while in battle for darkfall is not going to work.

many alliances will set up an open voice chat channel for things such as trade with strangers. If player doesnt have vent, well ...da*nit ok we will text change

Thats your opinion.

For me chat  bubbles would improove greatly the experience. Its impossible to know when someone is talking AT your out in the world, the chat box scrolls down pretty quick in the city. No way you would see it unless it is a personal message with a sound alarm.

I do like to go around talking and interacting with people. If you don't, turn the chat bubbles off.

I ask for an OPTION.  Is that so hard to understand ? would it harm your gameplay if you KNEW but not SEEN that people were using chat bubbles ? 

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    there should be an ingame voice program in every game OR chat bubbles. i would prefer ingame voice, must be funny to hear the people :-)

Thats your opinion.

For me chat  bubbles would inproove greatly the experience. Its impossible to know when someone is talking AT your out in the world, the chat box scrolls down pretty quick in the city. No way you would see it unless it is a personal message.

I do like to go around talking and interacting with people. If you don't, turn the chat bubbles off.

I ask for an OPTION.  Is that so hard to understand ? would it harm your gameplay if you KNEW but not SEEN that people were using chat bubbles ? 

It's not hard to understand you want an option. Darkfall is simply a game where chat bubbles would give away positioning, and in a game where you can kill people almost anywhere, this could be a problem. Its not a problem for the person with chat bubbles, but the person without them just lost out on knowing where that person is, while at the same time that person knows where the person without is.