Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Allods that good and that different? Enough worthy of trying it?

Renton81Renton81 Member Posts: 92

So I play World of Warcraft at the moment and I'm looking for a new MMO to play. I really do not like pvp and am more of a pve person. My friend recommended Allods and I was wondering how much of it is pvp based and are there many dungeons?

I know about the ship to ship battles and that after doing a dungeon your stand a chance of loosing your loot if you don't defend it.  I have looked around and have got a few questions.

1) Are there a lot of dungeons or are there just a few?

2) Are there other types of mounts other then your guilds ship?

3) Is it easy to handle like WoW or very difficult like Everquest?

4) Do you constantly need to be grouped in order to level out of fear of being gang raped or mob's just being immensely difficult to solo?

5) Does it take forever to max out your level? What is the max level?

6) Overall thoughts on the game??

I've read various reviews and these are just some questions that I wanted to know without investing time into the game and fearing disappointment.  Ultimately I'm just looking for other peoples opinion, people who've played it. And just to get those answers, Thanks!

Received my first Free UGC code! :)
Claim your Free UGC code Here

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Best I can share is overall thoughts, and this is old information since I played during beta and shortly after release.  I went back later but there was some sort of launcher bug that didn't like my system and I wasn't able to play.

The game is solidly made.  It runs well and looks good, done in an art style that I find similar to WoW.  At that time, leveling was rather slow, but nothing excessive.  The PVE was typical questy, and not hard to follow.  I didn't make it high enough to get involved in any group dungeons.

Worth checking out?  In my opinion, yes.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I haven't played Allods in about 2-3 years but it was P2W when I left. This was due to many of the higher end zones being PvE/PvP mix and needing items from the CS just to barely survive. It was also insanely out of balance. I have not played the game since.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by botrytis
    I haven't played Allods in about 2-3 years but it was P2W when I left. This was due to many of the higher end zones being PvE/PvP mix and needing items from the CS just to barely survive. It was also insanely out of balance. I have not played the game since.

It wasn't just pay to win, it was ridiculously expensive to pay to win. Not only that, it was pay to survive.

I think if you wanted to play the PvE game to max level or nearly max level it's reasonable. At least, that's what I've heard. The end game raiding and PvP still sound really expensive though. Like in the hundreds or thousands of dollars expensive. Maybe...this is the internet after all. It might only cost you tens of dollars a month.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• encryptX3encryptX3 Member Posts: 1

Hey there, i'm an old Allods player, used to play US server and switched to EU half a year ago. As i've seen you have yet to receive some complete/ updated info on the game i'll try to share my experience with you.

From the start i need to say that if you are interested in a PVE experience and not PVP you're in the right place. I'm not saying that u can't PVP without buying but u will find quite alot of people wearing lvl7+ runes (somewhere around $200+) that influence PVP alot. Allods has changed significantly in the past years and i'm ready to say it is quite balanced.

As a new player you're main focus is questing and basically leveling up. There are few group quests and you can ALWAYS find some higher level willing to help you out (as they can easily 1shot kill bosses) especially if u join a guild. Dungeons/Instances have been made way easier, tho finding partys is sometimes difficult. Nevertheless with the introduction of "Mercenaries" aka mercs( npc like party members that are extremelly OP at low lvls ) dungeons become a piece of cake. The first PVP area is a "contested area" known as Asee-Teph (unlocks at lvl 25) and this is the worst experience in-game for a newbie. Opposite faction parties are likely to encounter. Even so the Allods team has improved the area alot. The game mechanic won't allow the opposite faction to attack you unless: 1. You have your flag of war raised (game mechanic that you can control, you gain more exp with the flag on but become potentially a target ready for any1 to engage in battle) or 2. Your opponent has a warrbanner - in this case a banner symbol is displayed on the global map so you can easily avoid them.

Why is Asee-Teph so difficult when it comes to PVP? Well mainly to the Runes and the Reincarnation system. Starting at lvl 46 players can make a "reincarnation" of themselves - a lvl 15 character of any desired class of the same faction that shares abilities from it's progenitor (the progenitor also shares abilities from reinc) and every Boutique item. The boutique is the in-game mall holding mostly vanity items, bag expansion stuff, mounts, boxes and so on, NONE that can improve your gear (except for stuff for upgrading runes). Runes are expensive in-game items that add permanent damage increase/ decrease/ heal increase mostly essential in PVP. Also what's interesting about this are is that lvl 30+ cannot kill you without dieing themselves. As a personal note i can tell you that i only died 5 times throughout Asee (and it took me quite a while since my gear sucked quite bad at the time). 

End-game is where the fun starts. Max level is 51 (at the time) but since yesterday max item level has been increased to 55 (tho most players wont find this rewarding, you need top gear in order to upgrade item lvl to 52+). Getting items end game is done in the Astral layers, Allods (islands) separated by Astral space that can be accesed by traveling in a Astral Ship (guild gets reeeealy important here, a ship takes quite alot of money and time - more money if u dont have the time, more time if u dont have the money). Raids are still quite difficult to get, unless you are in a top guild (which usually require lvl 7+ runes and a weekly gold fee) there are low chances of getting to dead city but still a good chance at raiding the other faction's capital. 

Now about gold and runes. End game 2 daily quests (TR + caravan) get you about 800g. Other dailies + farming and you should be able to get 1200g+ a day and still have time for some astral (gear dungeons). A set of 3 lvl 6 runes cost about 33k gold, a set of 3 lvl 7 runes cost about 100k gold. If u get lvl 5,6 runes you can use them in the composition of the lvl 7 ones so you dont have to worry about the fact that you would throw them away after upgrade.

General info - max lvl is 51, max number of reincarnations is 7 (only 1st one is free), max rune lvl is 13 (i've seen only 1 player wearing these in Skrakan server), first "pro" rune lvl is 7, most common rune set on max lvl players is 6. Every character has a set of 6 runes - 3 offensive, 3 defensive. Pro gear is considered that of legenday+ quality - obtainable without buying but takes quite alot of time. Getting to max lvl - anywhere from 1to 6 months, i did it in 5 months without daily play and with a few breaks.

Bottom line - if you are interested in PVE definitelly give it a try, it wont be easy but having a good guild is always usefull, top guilds usually require that you have good runes and pay a weekly fee (usually around 500g so that shouldn't be a problem end-game). If PVP is on your mind then maybe you should think again, unless you are willing to invest at least $200+ and quite some time or plan on doing pve for a year or 2.

Edit:

1. Astral is composed from many many island like maps each holding one dungeon so... yea - loads of them :D

2. guild ship is neither a mount neither does it belong to the guild. Every player can have one but there are usually a few ships owned by top guild members that you will use to visit the astral. Yes there are loads of mounts: rhynos, wolves, horses, dreadnought, ponyes, lions and so on, each have 5+ patterns, some even more so there are looooads of possible combinations. As a side note tho - mounts are usually quite expensive.

3. never played WOW or Everquest so i couldnt tell.

4. No, close to never. End-game there will be some difficult maps (you have no quests there so they're not mandatory) that give stuff usefull for upgrading items. Those usually require parties.

5. Max lvl 51, depends on how much time you want to invest - anywhere between 1 to 6 months.

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Played everquest long a agon and liked it. Not compared to allods. Wow plays simialar to Wow , but Wow never really caught my eye like Allods did. I think what i like about Allods is the major improvements they made over the years. Its like they listen to what people have to say. I remember how hard this game was in the past and the cash shop horrors.  Here is tip around the cash shop. Farm and use your in game gold to buy cash shop items. You can do surveys to earn gpots. 

Edgar F Greenwood

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

Allods was awsome at first then they got greedy the game is made to milk you. don't listen to what that other guy said 200$+ is a rough estimate as everything has a % chance to proc an a penalty of going backwards for failure.

Like I said I loved the game  and when it was in beta and early release part of its awsome was that EVERYTHING in the cash shop could be obtained if you were leet enough for free, and all cash shop items could be traded. So good players never had to spend a dime and kept the community large and running by helping the noobs run instances an providing cash shop items for gold ifthey could not afford the $. Side note alot of us that didn't have to did buy gpots soley to support the game development. Then everything changed and Allod devs got greedy.

I have played to max level and had a max level of every class most with full legendary runed sets as did my mates. To make a long story short we LOVED the game and after one rly bad business oriented patch we all left and never looked back. By all I don' mean just my friends and I mean any one that wasnt a noob leaving noobs to pay for everything with $ which we suspect was what they were looking to achieve as after that there was no one to hold their hands for them other then the gpot cash shop.

Oh an the instances and allods are very difficult(which was a huge draw and what made it fun).... for 99% of the allods players even before you had to buy everything for cash. I could only imagine what they are like now to get that green

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

It's the number 1 WoW clone...............WoW much better though.

Not sure why you want to play somthing so similar to WoW, yet so inferior.

Anyway try it, it's playable

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Can tell you from reading and from personal experience, you'll enjoy WoW more, and get a lot more for your money with a monthly sub...

Allods is technically "free" to play, but you won't get far and eventually quit unless you invest far more money than you would playing something with a sub.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

I dropped $50 on the game last year and then quit once I hit level 36.

The major problem I had was that even PvE requires you to invest in the game. Raids/Dungeons require high-level runes so you don't get 2-shot by mobs and unless you have a perfect build with the best gear quests will be a tedious grind that takes large chunks out of your day.

If you have the money, it is a fairly enjoyable game. I had a lot of fun up until I had to buy higher level runes. Animations are colorful and fluid (to me, at least) and the game world is quite large.

However, as others have said, you might as well play Rift or WoW and just pay the subscription fee.

• reznovareznova Member Posts: 2

Hey,

Here your answers;

1- A lot of Instances (Dungeons and Raids) and they're developing more. - Upcoming new expansion.

2- There are lots of mounts and a lot more patterns. The problem is, you have to buy them from item mall or loot them from events/raids. - Which is pretty much like World Of WarCraft. Since it has an Item Mall for just this kind of purpose too. ( And they made a lot more than Gpotato made from this Item Mall - millions of dollars in just a one damn night, might help you to find the greedy one here )

3- Something middle. It's pretty much like Vanilla WoW with a lot of usability from Cataclysm WoW. Not that hard, but boredome is something you're going to experience in mid-levels.

4- PvP mechanics are different than other MMOs, which I like them a lot. If you don't want to do PvP, you won't. But the minute you attack, even an npc from opposite faction, you're going to be a threat to all other Players. So PvE and PvP server types are pretty pointless at this time. - However, you're going to like the PvP there. Since nobody has flying carpets and their precious pyroblasts with their boredome-after-masturbation minds. That kind of behaviour is pretty impossible here. And even more, if you're lucky enough to join a party, just to push back the enemy; then you're going to have fun.

5- Takes a lot of time. Not impossible. But for a point of view, that's why I'm playing. I prefer leveling, rather than doing every dungeon/raid over, over, over, over, over and over again.

6- Perfect lore. Perfect atmosphere. Especially perfect environment for Roleplaying. Perfect game with poor management. That's the problem. If this game was published as a Buy2Play or Pay2Play game; it would certainly wound a lot of MMO out right now. But they choosed to be Warhammer Online. They even published and localized in unnecessary languages just to get more localized playerbase, which is a commercial failure. Mail.Ru can't calculate anything, in my opinion. They just lost a lot of time and money. Yet, I'm unsure about the future. Development is ongoing and 4.0 seems interesting.

I have to add something else;

This game has nothing to do with World Of WarCraft. Lore, World, Game Mechanics are different than World Of WarCraft. It's pretty unique. - If you're comparing via graphics, well.. Any Fantasy MMO developed back 2004-2006 is pretty much World Of WarCraft clone because people would like to smug about it.

I'm playing WoW since 2006 and many of my friends started WoW at Cataclysm, and they're seriously smug about the situation and we, old players, are like "The Old Ones" to them. - So don't listen to people around you, if you're interested in something; give it a try before it's too late.

Allods is a pretty amazing game. Besides, since I'm not a hardcore raider, my character was there for a year and a half (I think) and I paid only once and it was 20-25 £ or something like that; I had level 4 runes with a mount and a lot of other stuff. So, with that setup it would help me for few months. Few months in WoW costs me something similar. - Choice is yours.

Note that, you may dislike profession system. Because it's a little bit tricky. Like a lot other systems.

Have fun. =)

• Moe4871Moe4871 Member UncommonPosts: 36

I honestly was impressed when I played it back during CB. It's one of the very few F2P MMOs I've played that I actually enjoyed. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a WoW clone, but funnily enough I did not enjoy WoW. It has it's own spirit despite lacking innovation, but it's successful enough to warrant a investment. I have not played it in years because I've strayed from cookie-cutter MMOs, but this is one you should at least try, even if you only play it for a little while.

It's hard to explain. It basically has a nice feel to it despite have the standard MMO play.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Renton81

So I play World of Warcraft at the moment and I'm looking for a new MMO to play. I really do not like pvp and am more of a pve person. My friend recommended Allods and I was wondering how much of it is pvp based and are there many dungeons?

There is "forced PvP" unless you go out of your way to avoid it. If you really dislike PvP then hitting the holy lands might be the end of your trip around Allods Online. You'll be about halfway in levels, but maxing out will take longer than twice what it takes to get to Asee Teph.

I know about the ship to ship battles and that after doing a dungeon your stand a chance of loosing your loot if you don't defend it.  I have looked around and have got a few questions.

1) Are there a lot of dungeons or are there just a few?

What's a lot? There are "dungeons" that require a party to complete and there are raid dungeons. There are now NPC mercenaries that you can hire if you're lacking in either the tank, healer or DPS department. There are heroics and then there are raids you can do once a week. Clear mobs up until you can kill the boss, then on to the next map.  All in all there can't be more than a couple of dozen of them, some are just harder versions of ones you did at lower levels. Depends on how you want to count them.

2) Are there other types of mounts other then your guilds ship?

Of course, ships aren't mounts. Wolf, lion, rhino, gryphon, raptor, juggernaut,... and there are different versions of those as well.

3) Is it easy to handle like WoW or very difficult like Everquest?

I'm going to go with easy to handle though I doubt it's be as easy as WoW.

4) Do you constantly need to be grouped in order to level out of fear of being gang raped or mob's just being immensely difficult to solo?

You'll need a group or hire mercenaries for the dungeons, but you can max solo. There is strength in nulbers though. If you really don't like PvP then solo could get frustrating at some point. 

5) Does it take forever to max out your level? What is the max level?

51 last time I checked, doesn't take forever to max out. But don't expect to hit cap in a couple of days.

6) Overall thoughts on the game??

Nice game, but with P2W Cash Shop.

imageimage