Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what is there to do at end game?

XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
This is not a hate thread or anything insulting to the game. I played the beta and when it launched, got a few levels from max and just quit (idk why).I know very little about the old end game, and the new end game brought by the new expansion. Is this game just like WoW when it comes to end game? Raid, bgs grind rep? I'm considering coming back but I really have come to hate raiding. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

Rift has the same endgame as any other themepark MMO.  There is questing, raiding, dailies, crafting, world-based PVP, instance-based PVP, and Conquest, which is a large instance-based PVP zone for endgame only. 

I hear what you are saying about raiding, since I have always hated being chained to my computer for four hours while a bunch of jerks bark orders at me or heap scorn on me because I have a single talent point out of place or one of my pieces of gear is not "leet" enough.  I have heard that raiding is awesome in Rift, but I have yet to try it and I have been playing off and on since launch.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 80

Well let's see........

you look for a raiding guild

you stand around for hours waiting for the boss to finally show up

while you wait for said boss.....

you scratch your butt

everyone in the raid scratches each others butts

you stand around comparing e-peens

then the fight starts.....

the boss ownz all of you

everyone blames the healers

the healers blame the tank

then everyone goes back to town and tells the crowd

they slapped the shite out of the boss.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Savageone

Well let's see........

you look for a raiding guild

you stand around for hours waiting for the boss to finally show up

while you wait for said boss.....

you scratch your butt

everyone in the raid scratches each others butts

you stand around comparing e-peens

then the fight starts.....

the boss ownz all of you

everyone blames the healers

the healers blame the tank

then everyone goes back to town and tells the crowd

they slapped the shite out of the boss.

Good times, good times.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Playing off and on since launch/beta.

At level cap there are many things you can do, typical of the usual types.

-Expert Dungeons

-Hunt Rifts, there are 18x Normal, 18x Major and 6 each of 5 tiers of greater rifts. The earlier ones can be small grouped or even solo/duo'd, the Great Hunt 5's can be basically spawnable raids. Difficulty and reward scales with the number of people involved.

-L60 Crafting Rifts

-L60 Unique Quest and Raid rifts

-Chronicles, Conquest and Instant Adventures for quick group or solo content.

-Crafting in general, Crafting Dailies specifically

-Faction Grind

-Currency Grinds, for special gear purchases, Empyrean Stones, Infinity Stones, Expert Dungeon and Raid plaques.

-Design, build, modify and decorate your personal or guild housing.

and more...

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Rift has a lot to offer... Assuming you enjoy the game in the first place.

The combat for me was so boring.  You macro 90% of everything to a single spammable button, and have a few cooldowns to use whenever.

Yes, people will argue you can play without the macro, but then you're just spamming buttons to make sure nothing is on cooldown. 

Guild Wars 2 was exactly the same.  Spam 1-2 buttons and make sure things aren't on cooldown.  The only choice you really had was should I use single target or AoE abilities?

Honestly, I think Tera is the only combat I've really enjoyed in a long time.  You actually had to constantly dodge and move around.  Most abilities you had to aim and use at the proper time(s).  Sadly, the rest of the game was pretty boring and my class was locked into a single role making it difficult to get groups for anything.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Tera may have had decent combat, once you got past the rooting if you dared to attempt a combo. But it really had nothing else going for it. A one trick pony.

Rift may be old and tired mechanics, but it is also tried and true mechanics. All these game that try to discard the established for a single 'world changing' new, or newish, feature, all tend so far to be otherwise shallow and boring. SWTOR and voiced story, Tera and action combat, GW2 and dumping the trinity for a different trinity and the zerg, TSW and level-less skill based advancement. One after another they change 1 thing and everything else is left as the worst of the possible options.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Painlezz

The combat for me was so boring.  You macro 90% of everything to a single spammable button, and have a few cooldowns to use whenever.

They actually addressed this with 1.11, the major patch prior to the expansion.  Combat is much different now, as you have a more active rotation if you want to be your best.  You can still macro a lot of things and do average, but they altered the way things work so that if you are willing to take a more active approach to combat, you will be rewarded.

There was a fair bit of complaining when the changes went live for a little while.  I think most everyone now agrees that it needed to be done.  I certainly enjoy combat a lot more now.

Rift has a great deal going for it at end-game.  The new Hunt Rifts are great and they go from baseline to T1, T2 onto T5 I believe is the max right now (haven't progressed past III's yet).  There is one Chronicle @ 60 right now, which is solo/duo content.. As before they will be adding more Chronicles.  There are Normal and Expert mode dungeons.. As before, they will be adding Master Mode difficulty to some of them in the future, giving you 3 tiers of difficulty for some the dungeons, but at least 2 tiers of dungeon difficulty for the other dungeons.  Then of course you have the end-game Raiding, which is (imo) much more fun in Rift than any other MMO.

I haven't been able to game very often lately, so I just recently got my main geared for level 60 T1 Raids.  So obviously I haven't experienced the new raids at the new level cap.  Based on everything else that I have experienced in the expansion, on top of things I've read, I'm stoked.

Two things I really think people should think about regarding Rift:

1) Dismissing Rift as a WoW Clone is a huge mistake.  It is most definitely it's own game.

2) Judging Rift on your experience in the game pre 1.11 and especially pre-expansion could be a mistake.  Issues you may have had with the game before may have been addressed.

Yep I'm a total fanboy I guess.  Been playing since Beta and haven't stopped.  The last time I was able to stick to a MMORPG like this was DAoC, and EQ prior to that.  All those years in-between was just short stops here and there.  Rift is a game  you can call home.

This is especially true now that they have added housing.  And the term "Housing" doesn't do it justice.  It's crazy the things people have built in their dimensions.

Anyway, this is just one guys opinion.  Best of luck to those that give it a go.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by Acidon
    Originally posted by Painlezz

They actually addressed this with 1.11, the major patch prior to the expansion.  Combat is much different now, as you have a more active rotation if you want to be your best.  You can still macro a lot of things and do average, but they altered the way things work so that if you are willing to take a more active approach to combat, you will be rewarded.

There was a fair bit of complaining when the changes went live for a little while.  I think most everyone now agrees that it needed to be done.  I certainly enjoy combat a lot more now.

Actually, I was one of those who were happy with the changes of patch 1.11, but I now wonder why. Because combat is still static and boring as hell. Just like it used to be, but now with a bit less macroing.

Oh, and at its core Rift is a WoW clone. That was a design choice made by Trion. Needed changes to the combat system will not be made, even when it would save the game, too expensive and risky, and cosmetic changes like in patch 1.11 will not change the fact that combat in Rift is static.

Rift is a decent game trying to fake to be a mmorpg, but it falls flat on its face after some time.

It takes one to know one.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Astraeis

Oh, and at its core Rift is a WoW clone. That was a design choice made by Trion. Needed changes to the combat system will not be made, even when it would save the game, too expensive and risky, and cosmetic changes like in patch 1.11 will not change the fact that combat in Rift is static.

Rift is a decent game trying to fake to be a mmorpg, but it falls flat on its face after some time.

This is so spot on that it compelled me to quote it.

• miller75miller75 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by Astraeis

This is so spot on that it compelled me to quote it.

Couldn't disagree more with both of these comments.  Rift is well above average as an mmorpg.  Nothing is perfect.  But Rift is quickly becoming the best.  It started out a bit shallow and small, but polished.  Now they are something different entirely.  I am amazed at how many negative people post comments with no real substance or logic.  How has Rift fallen flat on its face? Its a great game that listens to its customer base.  If you dont like it, dont pay the sub.  No big deal.  

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by miller75

Couldn't disagree more with both of these comments.  Rift is well above average as an mmorpg.  Nothing is perfect.  But Rift is quickly becoming the best.

Sadly I have to agree with you. Such is the state of mmorpg's nowadays.

Oh, and to answer your question. Rift fails as a mmorpg mainly because it remains a bunch of game mechanics tied together according to some other game's design, but does not become vibrant and alive as a world I want to spend my time in. Every time I have retried Rift I want to quit the game within a month because each and every aspect of the game is repetitive and boring. Even zone events, that I consider to be the best content of Rift, become repetitive and boring soon enough, especially when the lack of enough players starts to hinder the completion of them again.

But you are correct. There is nothing better out there at the moment.

It takes one to know one.