Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] PlanetSide 2: The MMOFPS Gold Standard

13»

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Interesting.  Thanks for the review, I may give this game a try now.
  • nubinsnubins Member Posts: 1

I wish you people would stop talking on behalf of "all ps1 vets".

PS1 was a great game, but full of flaws, balance issues, technical problems and poor gameplay choices.

As a long term PS1 vet i am extremely happy with the start they have made with PS2. As is my entire outfit from ps1, who have found a new lease of life again with ps2. Those features that I do miss from PS1, will come in time as they add more continents and can flesh out the territory control systems to accomodate more land. There is still performance issues and some balance issues, all of which are being addressed (a big performance improvement is currently in testing and due in January according to Smed).

This game is not pay 2 win. Most people who band that phrase around clearly have no idea what it actually means. Games that were pay 2 win meant that you could buy something that was simply better than the free gear. Golden ammo that does more damage, better armour to make your character more resillient etc. PS2 does none of that. A level 1 character using the default gear is just as capable of killing and contributing as a level 100. Look on youtube and you will see lots of videos from players who made characters to demonstrate the point, spending 0 on the game, yet advancing quickly with a high xp intake through simply playing the game. Cert points allow you to improve your characters stuff and you earn those in game and even those the devs have set as never allowing a player to be more than 20% better than a player with no cert points spent. I might choose to spend certs to add a foregrip and sight to my battlerifle, but it will do me little good when i run around the corner into another character using the default machinegun. It's all situational, and with thousands of players there are an awful lot of situations going on at the same time.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by eyeqdk

I am sorry.... but Polish: 8 ???? 

Have you tryed to play it in beta, and then play the final game? coz when games launched, there were MORE bugs then in beta. 90% of players at Beta forums told them, that the game was not ready yet, ... but SOE did not care what we had to say. 

And all the bugs that were reported in beta, only 25% of them were fixed.

75.31% of statistics are made up.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    just trial the guns ans you'll See that the purchasable weapons are only upgrading vehicles, infantry guns make almost no difference... you Hit, you kill, you miss, you het killed, on Amy gun.

thats my Main gripe, why Not introduce more roles bY certs. Not like eve where you need 4 months ti compete, nur small stuff, like spottet upgrade or Radar Operator...
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    They need to bring back a lot of the mechanics from the first game, like interlocking continents, llu bases, ntu drain hacks, ntu systems, basement entrances to bases, ams bubble, and empire sanctuaries!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I realize not every game appeals to everyone. I have really tried to like this game ....but three features of the game are stopping this from happening.

-forced first person view

-inability of sniper to tell friend from foe ...at sniper ranges(this has been a problem for snipers....forever and at my last check still wasen't fixed)This makes snipers have to come to conventional weapon range  and give up on what a sniper is supposed to be.Death from range.

-lack of any tutorial .You are just thrown into the game and are expected to ask lots of questions...I guess

Concept wise.....game was very intriguing...implementation wise....not so much.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I just wish it was more.  With no lockouts on facilities, they are retaken minutes if not seconds after the zerg moves on.  What little bonuses you get for conquering the map, you are hardly sticking it to the opposition.  Vehicles dominate the scene and it really sucks if you prefer playing a trooper and getting insta-gibbed constantly by hovering aircraft and zooming tanks with very little ability to return fire with the long lock on mechanics and low damage of rockets and only two classes that even have the ranged weapons necessary to take them out.  They need to return the AV turret for the engineer.  They need to either reduce lock on requirements or up the damage of rockets.  As it is, most of the time, vehicles can kill me 5 or 6 times before I can return and do enough damage to take them out, assuming they haven't taken the time to repair from behind their rides.  Camping spawn rooms is still a huge issue, especially when 95% of them can be camped by vehicle barrage.

The game world has very little ambiance or wildlife and all of the other things that would help make the gameplay more immersive.  As a trooper, I hate tree cover as it blocks my ability to lock on to aircraft, but they can kill me through the cover at their leisure and can see me no matter how well hidden under the branches.  On top of that, there is now a bug that they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix, where 50% or more of the lock on rockets will hit, but not do any damage at all.  There's something fishy too when I play an infiltrator and will be hiding in the rocks at maximum range, shoot at some heavy or engineer and have them immmediately turn around, zoom in on me instantly and kill me from a distance that their guns shouldn't be able to reach, let alone do so in seconds.  On top of that, there is another bug that is plaguing head shots, where I can see my shot hit their shielded head and do absolutely no damage, when it's suppose to be a guaranteed kill shot.

If things aren't fixed soon and if they don't do something to make the gameplay more meaningful, then I have no reason to continue playing.  As it is, I rarely log in twice a week now, let alone spend any money on it.

• GValerGValer Member Posts: 4
    good review, the game is buggy and half a year - a year when it will bring to mind, is the best multiplayer shooter
  • MidnightExpressMidnightExpress Member Posts: 5

PS2 has some seriously big problems. First is the way you spawn in. It's hard to find action sometimes, and the spawn system sucks. You spend 10 minutes running, get shot, spend another ten minutes running. I've had a 40 minute stretch where I was 2 kills 2 deaths. Yeah that's a lot of action in 40 minutes, huh?

Another huge problem is vehicle balance. You know it's not so much that I think the vehicles are overpowered, but the way the map is made makes them ridiculous. All the terrain outside is barren. There is ZERO cover infantry. The landscapes are incredibly boring, and there is just nowhere for infantry to get cover. Many times you spawn in a far off base, there are 5 tanks outside, and you are simply screwed, with no way to even get out of the spawn building. Horrible design.

The gun mechanics when compared to something like BF3 are horrible as well, but I can live with that I suppose. Still, the bullet drop is like 5 times what it should be, the time to kill is super long , and the spread even with an assault rifle is almost a meter when shooting from a mere 100 meters. It's a sloppy game in regards to gun play.

Don't get me wrong it's not horrible, and the scale of the game is simply amazing, but planetside 2 is like 6/10 at best. Now I will say this; PS2 has set a precedent on scaling, and world size, and size of battles. Hopefully a new generation of shooter can do this as well. That's really the only thing that makes PS2 competitive with any good shooter, because at the actual "shooter" stuff, PS2 is a huge fail.