Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] PlanetSide 2: The MMOFPS Gold Standard

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

SOE's taken a second crack at the MMOFPS with PlanetSide 2. Does the sequel succeed where its predecessor fell short? We offer our take in our official review!

PlanetSide 2 is SOE’s second crack at properly tackling a large scale MMOFPS since the release of the original PlanetSide back in 2003. Like its predecessor, PlanetSide 2 pits players in a three-way conflict over the resources and territory of the planet Auraxis. The three factions of the Terran Republic, New Conglomerate, and Vanu Sovereignty make their return and players can choose to align themselves with any of the three in their efforts for global dominance. If you’re a fan of the original PlanetSide or a long time veteran of the Battlefield series, you’re sure to be excited by what’s in store for you in SOE’s sophomore MMOFPS effort.

Read more of Michael Bitton's PlanetSide 2: The MMOFPS Gold Standard.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    nice review :) spot on..
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Sony definitly deserves some credit here.  I was skeptical and it took me a bit to get into the game, but, its been pretty darn addictiing.  The higher BR I get the more I find myself wanting to play, trying to plan what certs to get.   I'm not saying there isn't a lot left for them to add, but it's a real solid start and I've enjoyed it.  It's very casual friendly, log in, kill some people and then log off.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Loved the ultra graphics no hud video.  Looks damn fine.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I have to agree with this one. I think I would have gave the innovation 1 more point and the Value as well.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Haven't had this much fun in a mmo for years.

It covers 2 areas I like

- daoc style rvr play, which this game just gets right compared to other games that have tried with varying degrees if success or otherwise

- real time combat that leads to emergent gameplay you just don't get in a gcd/hidden turn type game.

It also has a top notch engine for mmos which should bode well for EQ3. And has probably the best f2p model on the market.
  • SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386
    With about 100 hours of playtime in PS2 I think this is a fairly accurate review. "Can be a bit grindy" is probably an understatement -- especialy if you don't want to spend any money on exp boosts or weapons. Also, I'd back-up what Mike said about the longevity being hard to estimate since it's totally PvP orientated.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They are talking about adding crafting and base building though.

Just hope they never add pve to it.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'd try it if it had pve just not into constant pvp in a an mmo gets old.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I'd try it if it had pve just not into constant pvp in a an mmo gets old.

after few weeks this game is empty already

you go and cap empty bases sometimes you engage other squad doing same thing

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

It feels like the whole world is empty. It's all reliant on players capping bases. Nobody lives there, nothing but trees, rocks and sand in the world. Add a few bases and soldiers. Why fight for er... nothing? Then again maybe that's my RPG me, but a whole empty continent feels way off compared to an empty battlefield like BF3.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Base building i see being a strong possibility

Crafting on the other hand will open up a whole heap of problems if not handled correctly, that exludes gathering which would be a much easier element to tackle.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

Originally posted by ShakyMo

This, no PvE PLEASE... but crafting and base building would be fun. :)

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• MalasorteMalasorte Member UncommonPosts: 56

google sweetFX ultra settings for Planetside 2 and see how that looks ... its so so much better but u can get banned for using that, FXAA is just crap compared to the sweetFX

ppl played with sweetFX in beta and u could actually disable FXAA but after lauch u cant disable FXAA anymore and if u use sweetFX u get banned because it shows as a hack

it would be so great if they had sweetFX instead of FXAA but unfortunatelly its not the case

• OldSquirrelOldSquirrel Member Posts: 20

This game is great because it is the ultimate freedom (ultimate chaos?). No dailies, no achievements, no dungeons, no instances, no vanity goals.... I'm impressed because you DON'T need an outfit/guild to enjoy this game, you just poke around a bit for a good battle, auto-join a squad and you're ready to kill.

The fun is IN THE PLAYING and in the variety of ways to play... not chasing one carrot on a stick after another.

I'm thrilled to give up on MMO-styles of play and vanity goals, and when I move on with my life after a few hours of fighting I actually think to myself "Hmm... that crazy PS2 session was FUN!"

...and your certs will come with time, you earn them faster than some greedy people would have you think.

"I'm a nerd, and I'm pretty proud of it." - Gilbert, Revenge of the Nerds[1984]

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Yeah yeah yeah just wait till they start adding BFR's and other game breaking crap or piss poor expansions see if the review is the same.   Reviewer sounds like hes fresh faced to the genre and didnt play the original which was argueably better and was fresh at the time.

PS2 to a PS1 vet feels like its all been done before just better the 1st time around.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I think the score is a little high myself.   The first Planetside was better.   We had water in the game.   We had a few more V commands like /salute.    There were parts of bases underground that had narrow corridors that made for some fierce fire fights.   Bases at least had walls defenders could get behind and use as defensive postions to fight from.   The inability of special ops to make an impact in game by going in and back-hacking and starting a new front doesn't work in PS2 they way it did in PS1.   Don't get me wrong PS2 is fun for the most part, but PS2 is no PS1.    I think PS2 has a lot more that needs to be done to make it a more polished game overall.    Lack of pop control is hurting the game.    Right now there is no real strategic game play in PS2 - it's all about the "zerg".   If I were to score PS2 I'd give it a 7.5 to maybe a 7.8  out of 10.  

Right now PS2 is just a good FPS shooter  MMO.    They really need to add more strategic game play elements to the game and add some fuana.   Yes - I said fauna.   The continents are lifeless barren areas.   I do not care what they add, but they should add some creatures, just to give life to the barren waste of the continents.  There is room for SOE to step up to the plate and make the game better - but that depends on SOE.  I would like to see new variations(designs) for tanks and aircraft as well.   Add new faction based designs.  Love to see faction based gunships.    How about a new levitating type Sunderer for the Vanu?  

Game just needs fleshed out.   It doesn't seem anywhere near the finished state in my opinion.  Good but needs work.

• RykerRyker Member UncommonPosts: 207

I liked planetside 1 better.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Have they fixed all the AimBot, hacks and exploits yet? This game was 10/10 in beta, but the second it went live, you were getting killed from across the map by all the hacks. Wasnt worth logging in if you werent one of the cheaters. 

As long as that gets fixed, its a spot on game. Great graphics and superb PVP gameplay. This could easily be the number one MMOFPS once all the leaks get plugged. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by thamighty213

Yeah yeah yeah just wait till they start adding BFR's and other game breaking crap or piss poor expansions see if the review is the same.   Reviewer sounds like hes fresh faced to the genre and didnt play the original which was argueably better and was fresh at the time.

PS2 to a PS1 vet feels like its all been done before just better the 1st time around.

This..

playing PS2 im reminded too much of the things i could do before but not in PS2, the things that are missing.. and bases, just arent ..  maybe its the strategic importance of things in PS1 that im missing the most.  Maybe gameplay will improve in the future, but i have a feeling that the games longevity just isnt going to be that great. This is a game that bears watching, but its not where i think it should be. image

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I have to agree with this one. I think I would have gave the innovation 1 more point and the Value as well.

Gotta to agree with bc. Whats wrong with me today ; ; first I agree with Smedley, now bc... I need a drink... 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Amazing game by far. As someone who is more 'casual' in FPS games, this is one I can actively pick up and play. Something about the scale and tactics gives me more enjoyment then a game like CoD which just feels so tedious. 
  • striker107striker107 Member Posts: 6
    There was images of flying base ships they were thinking about...But it is right that world feels empty, no animals or even birds. I could see why the would leave such things out, to save memory and cycles having to render them, especally with 100+ guy blowing stuff up around you. But it would be freaky to see some critter spooking a sniper or blowing thier cover by flying or scampering away or if they put in hostle wildlife swarming a base and smashing terminals and turrets...but that would lead to spawn campers. Course then again it would also be good twist, even if it was a one time event, to have the aliens whos tech the vanu love so much show back up to cause some havoc.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

8 in longetivity? For what, there is absolutely no point in taking over control points and you can log of for 10 mins, 1 hour or 10 hours and it wont make any difference to anyone.

Waste of such an otherwise good game.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    The only thing they could add to make it much better, is more civilized looking zones, or like instead of warpgates, big central cities that belong to the faction or something. Right now it FEELS like your fighting for useless planets. But so far, this is a great unexpected experience, I've been loving it.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Review to me was spot on image

Now we will see a surge of other MMOFPS trying to replicate what PS2 has.

2 other games that would be kick ass in the same format as PS2 would be Battlefield Series or Tribes