Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The War Z: Under Fire on Steam

Comments

• PhayzPhayz Member UncommonPosts: 67
    It's a decent game, still needs work sure. I'm not sure why so many people are raging so hard...the devs haven't implemented what they promised yet, big woop, people act as if this is the first game company to promise things that don't come out immediately. I wonder how many people that are raging have actually played the game, and how many are just die hard dayz fanboys.
  • shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by orbitxo
    ok- i ve been following this game from day one. and did purchase it.Iam not a hardcore player of the game- but they are NOT SCAMMERS, thats a pretty harsh word to use for a company to have delivered a product in development (as they have stated from day one) and i presume the people using this word had either fallen out with them, are juvenille or dont know much about the game.the game has pretty much delivered what they said in the website packages- further more have listened to the WZ forums and player base .the angry costumers not statisfied with this game for lack thereof  their liking n not beign educated aboutthe game will rage and will most likely be heard the most.unfortunately as a company they will be force to acknowledge them and refund or put out a statement .I read what they wrote on steam- and pretty much all is delivered-the video is pretty much the game as well.I do think the Gold coins are a bit too high priced for purchase via steam but that is their choice you can get GC ingame from loot.they stated in the steam site other features to come in the new year. I believe it.- beacouse so far everything they have spoken since September pre Alpha-they have deliverd!   this game is not for everyone- people should REALLY READ up on a game and do a bit of research before clicking the paypal button.   <.<  

fanboi alert

the text that featured on steam reflects nothing of what you said above. Using a description and pictures to sell something and those does not reflect the actual product in anyway, then that qulaify as a scam for me.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I've been having a lot of fun in War Z. Just because one dev (Sergei is the worst) is making the game look bad...doesn't mean the game itself is bad. Its amazing for a casual player. DayZ is way too hardcore. In War Z, I can hop on...play an hour or less...and accomplish a lot. I can even buy items to speed up the process, but I guess many see that as a negative. But as a casual player, that is a huge bonus.

Freemium MMOs do this all the time...so not different at all.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well one thing that speaks against it is the fact that the game it is built on.. WarINC is well... rubbish to put it plainly (and i liked the way you could not swim in it... That was funny, not gamebreaking but funny)

Otoh the DayZ people had a lot of head-start on this seeing as someone else had paid the millions it takes to develop a good engine and they only built upon that.

This have been a good conversation

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Uh what they did was blatant false advertising and they can and should be sued for it. People shouldn't let companies get away with this crap. Also, Valve should do the smart thing and remove the game from Steam and issue refunds to all the people that want one. This whole thing is rather ridiculous.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Quailman
    Uh what they did was blatant false advertising and they can and should be sued for it. People shouldn't let companies get away with this crap. Also, Valve should do the smart thing and remove the game from Steam and issue refunds to all the people that want one. This whole thing is rather ridiculous.

But to issue refunds they first need to go through all the legal pich-wash to get the WarZ people to pay them. And that will most likley cost more then they will be getting out of it.

But feel free to geta  class-action suite going. *send his best wishes*

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by Quailman

But to issue refunds they first need to go through all the legal pich-wash to get the WarZ people to pay them. And that will most likley cost more then they will be getting out of it.

But feel free to geta  class-action suite going. *send his best wishes*

I have no right to sue, as I did not purchase the game. I do believe people should take every action to protect their consumer rights though. You can't advertise a product with features that don't exist, so technically Valve can be held partially responsible. I don't want to see Valve or Steam harmed in all of this, as I have a lot invested in them (talking about all the games I have bought on Steam), but no company should be able to ignore the rights of consumers.

Also, I just noticed this article on Forbes.com:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/19/allegations-of-false-advertising-hound-the-war-z-release-on-steam/

EDIT: Found these in case anyone is interested:

Petition for full refunds by Hammerpoint: http://www.change.org/petitions/hammerpoint-interactive-full-refund-of-retail-price-of-warz-for-everyone

Petition to get Valve to remove the game from Steam pending further investigation: http://www.change.org/petitions/valve-corporation-remove-warz-from-the-steam-market-pending-further-investigation

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

How this game got on Steam is really a sad state of affairs.  People read the nonsense on the description and voted for it when the game is nothing like what they said.

Shame on Valve for not doing some homework on this.  They have let these developers scam a lot of people.

I also fault MMORPG for promoting it as much as they did.  

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Valve have taken the game off steam for false advertising and are issuing full refunds.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/the-war-z-no-longer-available-on-steam/#more-136077
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Valve have taken the game off steam for false advertising and are issuing full refunds.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/the-war-z-no-longer-available-on-steam/#more-136077

thats sad.

I applaud Valve steam for their actions.

But people which purchase things w/o any acknowledge -is sad. 

this game is a hardcore FPS w/o the padding other games have- its dosent make it a scam game- just makes it a game not suited for you.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

If you look at the "top games by current player count" on steam they almost have 7000 people playing it and almost in the top ten, so I dont think everyone is unhappy.

the game can actually be fun and I think that yes they did make some big mistakes but this kind of thing happens with every game.  Negative comments and trolls is just part of the gaming culture now so the gaming companies should understand this and make sure their information is up to date and correct.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

to all players who misread information

wow. definitely either an irresponsible reply from the developers or a blatant attempt to deceive.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    It is a well made game so far, and will be good. Its just not ready for the early majority.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

now that is good business, right there.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Originally posted by orbitxo

this game is a hardcore FPS w/o the padding other games have- its dosent make it a scam game- just makes it a game not suited for you.

also its objectively bad at being everything it attempts to be.

Originally posted by coxyroxy
    It is a well made game so far, and will be good. Its just not ready for the early majority.

this is not the point really. certain features were promised, in writing, to purchasers of the game. now, not only did the game not come with these features, but the developer is currently trying cover up his miscreant behavior by blaming the customers stating that they misread the information. funny how all those people misread the exact same things.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

How this game got on Steam is really a sad state of affairs.  People read the nonsense on the description and voted for it when the game is nothing like what they said.

Shame on Valve for not doing some homework on this.  They have let these developers scam a lot of people.

I also fault MMORPG for promoting it as much as they did.  

This! I hope that at least Steam will just flatout remove the title from the store and blacklist this dev company!

Nothing more to it. They are liars and scammers!

I'm happy to see that Valve did the right thing here.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I just have to say that I never ever bought into WarZ because I knew that it was a scam. I mean it came right after the hugely popular mod called "DayZ" and they decide to call their game "WarZ?" That instantly grabbed my attention and I sort of knew.

I'm not really surprised with how much lying this company seems to be comfortable with doing, but I was a little shocked when they said that the playerbase "misread" what they wrote. I mean really? Blaming the entire population for misreading such blatant lies? They really screwed up on that one and I can't see this game being a success after such a failure to even do something as simple as make an honest apology.

I'll be waiting for the DayZ MMO.

Smile

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by DMKano

WarZ is a cash grab made on the coattails of DayZs success. The game was hastily rushed into a buggy mess that it is today for the sole purpose of on cashing in on the latest "zombie survival" craze.

avoid, that is all I can say, 

ScamZ - yep

Exactly, my friend got it thinking it was a DayZ standalone, boy was he disapointed.

Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD

Exactly, my friend got it thinking it was a DayZ standalone, boy was he disapointed.

gahd, i bet he was. that's gotta hurt.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I just have to say that I never ever bought into WarZ because I knew that it was a scam. I mean it came right after the hugely popular mod called "DayZ" and they decide to call their game "WarZ?" That instantly grabbed my attention and I sort of knew.

I'm not really surprised with how much lying this company seems to be comfortable with doing, but I was a little shocked when they said that the playerbase "misread" what they wrote. I mean really? Blaming the entire population for misreading such blatant lies? They really screwed up on that one and I can't see this game being a success after such a failure to even do something as simple as make an honest apology.

I'll be waiting for the DayZ MMO.

Same here.  If they were serious about WarZ, and making it a great game that could stand on its own, they'd have named it something else.  The name alone was a massive red flag for me.  I still might have given it chance, if it somehow proved itself, but instead, it just appears to be proving our skepticism well placed.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Wouldn't touch this game with a 10 foot pole myself.  It's too bad anyone at all is tossing money to this company.  I would prefer the next headline for War Z includes something about bankruptcy so there's a clear message that scamming gamers isn't ok.
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

From Forbes article:

Many people are criticizing Valve for what is obviously an unfinished product showing up in their store. The problem appears to be a simple one. Because the game’s publisher had a game on Steam previously, their new titles can skip the review process, giving The War Z a free pass through the back door.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    and then to think MO trying to get greenlit as well :D