Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veteran MMO Player Lost -> Recommendations Anyone?

2»

Comments

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

And here's a link to every RPG ever released.  Just change to the system you want and make sure it's set to "released" and bam.  So many great games you've never heard of while playing mmorpgs (like me ugh)

I start at the oldest and just hop over to metacritic to see what people say.  I can suggest tons but my tastes are pretty hardcore.  I like to be forced into grinding every stat point and gold piece so that next mob is a little easier, with the fear death at every turn, just like good old Wizardry or in Dark Souls.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/release.cgi

• tgoodspetgoodspe Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    Stop playing MMO's for awhile and catch up on single player games. This year alone you have Torchlight 2, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Black Ops II, XCOM, and Assassin's Creed III just to name a few of the video game "blockbusters." I have spent hundreds of hours on a $4 game called Binding of Isaac. I've plalyed more Skyrim in the last year than any MMO. There are TONS of excellent games to play. As for community... well, you got me there, but I play everything through Steam so I never feel like I'm "alone" playing a game.

Yeah, as said before this might be my only option. I had two recommendations I might try out. But all in all I might jump back into Skyrim and play all the way through that again, amongst other games. Maybe by then something will have come out to try... or I won't care anymore to look! Haha

Originally posted by loeslein

And here's a link to every RPG ever released.  Just change to the system you want and make sure it's set to "released" and bam.  So many great games you've never heard of while playing mmorpgs (like me ugh)

I start at the oldest and just hop over to metacritic to see what people say.  I can suggest tons but my tastes are pretty hardcore.  I like to be forced into grinding every stat point and gold piece so that next mob is a little easier, with the fear death at every turn, just like good old Wizardry or in Dark Souls.

Hey thanks for the link! I'll certainly look through it! Even though you might consider your tastes to be hardcore, lemme hear I few of your recommendations! Maybe I'll check some of them out!

• TasarakTasarak Member UncommonPosts: 43
     I'll second it, I highly recommend Demon Souls & Dark Souls. (PS3)  Both of these games will keep you heavily immersed.  It is a real challenge, but stick with it and you will be rewarded.  /Cheers
    Originally posted by Tasarak
     I'll second it, I highly recommend Demon Souls & Dark Souls. (PS3)  Both of these games will keep you heavily immersed.  It is a real challenge, but stick with it and you will be rewarded.  /Cheers

Don't have a PS3, or at least have no idea where it is. Rather stuck on the PC instead, lol.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by tgoodspe

Hey thanks for the link! I'll certainly look through it! Even though you might consider your tastes to be hardcore, lemme hear I few of your recommendations! Maybe I'll check some of them out!

DEMON SOULS

DARK SOULS

Both are PS3 games but Dark Souls is also on Steam or Windows Games but it can be a little pesky at times due to the port.  Some people have no problems, some do.  Oh and you need a usb PS style controller.

These games are the single most insane thing I've ever seen in my life.  I heard about them....  but until I tried them there is just no words to explain how hopeless you will feel at almost every turn. 

Demon Souls came out first.

These are the only games I've ever played where I've dropped my controller on the ground, and had to put my head in my hands.... while I laughed to myself like a madman.......

These are the only games I've ever played where I've dropped my controller on the ground, and had to put my head in my hands.... while I laughed to myself like a madman.......

I've watched a few videos on Dark Souls... seems hands down like one of the hardest games ever haha

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Some less mainstream picks:

1. Vanguard - Now F2P, old school design themepark

2. Ryzom - Crafty (from what I hear) and sandboxy

3. SMT:Imagine, sometimes called MegaTen - Japanese MMO with western translation - bizarre companion system

For even further off mainstream, Google for Larsa Sandbox List to find a link here on MMORPG.com.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Aelious Other than what has already been mentioned I would say Vanguard.  It's free to play now so there isn't a price risk.  I've been dipping into Telon the last few nights and it has a different feel than what has been realeased in the last few years.  More organic I guess.
    Never reeeaallly tried Vanguard. I think I dabbled when it FIRST came out but never really dove deep into that game at all. Probably cause I couldn't hook up with a solid community of people to keep going with.

What's Telon? Haven't heard of that one.

telon is the planet within the game of vanguard. i recommend that game as well.

Ahh I gotcha, well if there's a level-headed person out there that recommends giving it a shot, I'll look back into it! Hopefully I'll find some community in there that will keep me going with it!

The Vanguard community is not huge but with the recent F2P conversion, which is pretty reasonable from what I have seen, it's bigger now and has always been helpful.  The GMs are pretty active as well from what I have witnessed.  I keep saying that because I have just started playing again so don't take what I say as Gospel image.

There are three "spheres" of play: Adventuring, Crafting and Diplomacy.  Each has it's own set of gear and is pretty in depth though Diplomacy is not as deep as Crafting or Adventuring.  One of the best things about Vanguard is it's natural open world.

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

The f2p experiences i've enjoyed the most over the last few years

1) If you played and liked EQ in the past but didn't do any of the high level zones then you can level up very fast through the hotzones now and go explore the planes a bit.

2) ditto above but ignore hotzones and level in the old world with a merc. the merc makes soloing possible to easy and a lot of the old EQ dungeons are still more fun than anything else.

The downside is the F2P classes are the most boring ones so might be worth unlocking a different one.

If you're not a nostalgic ex EQ player then

3) lotro following the story chapters is good - the world, though visually great, is a bit static and dull early on but the story quests are good fun imo.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

DEMON SOULS

DARK SOULS

Sounds about right, ... though that was after I bit my PS3 controller in half in despair.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VoreDockVoreDock Member UncommonPosts: 128
    wow you all mised  Aion  it has a great comunity and is doing well plus its free to play and its free to play done right  it was a sub game  just went free to play  so more people would be on to group with  SWTOR could learn something from Aion  try it and you will love it  it  has a huge world as well at least the size of WOW if not more  it truly an incredable game  from  the people who made GW2  http://na.aiononline.com/ 
  • grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

Single player rpg's are where its at until Blade and Soul, and Archeage come out. Even then we have to be wary of how badly westernization will destroy the games. At the moment i have been enjoying Phantasy Star Online 2 and The Walking Dead(pc game). A few other rpg games that may interest you.

Witcher 2 (Must play!)

Mass effect series

Dragon age origins. You can skip the second one.

SKYRIM

Demon souls/ Dark souls ( if u can get a ps3 go for these)

Amnesia the dark decent

Wish i could recommend some good mmo's but frankly, i see none worth it right now. You can tell which ones place profits first vs those that place gameplay.

Or you can find a buddy (or solo) and create a game design document ( creating your own game or changing a current games system)

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by grafh

Single player rpg's are where its at until Blade and Soul, and Archeage come out. Even then we have to be wary of how badly westernization will destroy the games. At the moment i have been enjoying Phantasy Star Online 2 and The Walking Dead(pc game). A few other rpg games that may interest you.

Yeah I think (unfortunately) I'm gonna have to just find some time consuming games until some new MMO's come out. There seem to be some nice ones on the horizon. I refuse to let myself get too excited about any of them in particular, so let's just pray that one of them actually comes along and captivates me. I have a few of interest that I'm keen on, but I can't let myself give into the hype of a game and be let down again, haha.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Now is probably the best time to give Asherons Call 2 another go. You can play AC1 as well since subscribing currently grants access to both games. Both are turning out to be very fun imo. image

If you want a single player recommendation, i'd say check out Divine Divinity. Or if you don't like Isometric games, Divinity 2 developers cut.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    atm best theme park is GW2 and best sandbox EVE and if you dont like spacejunks check Wurm online ^^