Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR expansion confirmed

Comments

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by mistmaker

you shouldnt be billed for content updates in sub games, that is what paying a sub is for. perhaps some companies think, 15 dollars is just the fee for using the servers....

just my opinion, and i am someone who would even pay 30 dollars for a really good (sandbox) game per month. i prefer paying for a game for gamers than a game for milking money

Bollocks. Aslong as the price is justified charging for a content update is fine(for example if its a very large amount of content, artwork, voice actors etc).

The problem i see is that often there is no direct relation between price and amount/quality of content. For example Trion charging 30$ for their last rift expansion? Thats fine even for a subgame, they did alot of free content during the year and the expansion clearly went above and beyond. GW2 and TSWs B2P box price? One can see thats very good value even if you personally don't like the games, its the price of a single player game with weeks if not months worth of content, compared to your average 10hour playthrough single player game that costs the same if not more.

But some of the other xpacs, or shop prices in F2P shops? Ebenezer scrooge would be ashamed. For example charging people 20$ for a package of christmasy items in your store while doing zilch ingame eventwise. No matter how you look at it, thats not exactly nice, especially considering the season. I mean it would be nice to atleast keep up appearances and pretend your a nice chrsistmasy fellow(company).

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Skuz
    Originally posted by karmath
    When you buy this, keep in mind you are hurting the MMO genre more than you realise.

That smacks of "you aren't listening to me so you are wrong".

Are you some kind of qualified clairvoyant? 

LOL. The drama queens on this site never cease to amaze me. Guilt tripping people for liking a game . Amazing. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    When you buy this, keep in mind you are hurting the MMO genre more than you realise.

LOL. The drama queens on this site never cease to amaze me. 

They charving for an expansion?!

Of all the worst things that could happen, this is THE WORST POSSIBLE THING!!!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    In the time it took many here to argue on the forums over this they could have gone outside and made $10 collecting bottles and looking for change.

You stay sassy!

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Rocketeer

you shouldnt be billed for content updates in sub games, that is what paying a sub is for. perhaps some companies think, 15 dollars is just the fee for using the servers....

just my opinion, and i am someone who would even pay 30 dollars for a really good (sandbox) game per month. i prefer paying for a game for gamers than a game for milking money

Bollocks. Aslong as the price is justified charging for a content update is fine(for example if its a very large amount of content, artwork, voice actors etc).

The problem i see is that often there is no direct relation between price and amount/quality of content. For example Trion charging 30$ for their last rift expansion? Thats fine even for a subgame, they did alot of free content during the year and the expansion clearly went above and beyond. GW2 and TSWs B2P box price? One can see thats very good value even if you personally don't like the games, its the price of a single player game with weeks if not months worth of content, compared to your average 10hour playthrough single player game that costs the same if not more.

But some of the other xpacs, or shop prices in F2P shops? Ebenezer scrooge would be ashamed. For example charging people 20$ for a package of christmasy items in your store while doing zilch ingame eventwise. No matter how you look at it, thats not exactly nice, especially considering the season. I mean it would be nice to atleast keep up appearances and pretend your a nice chrsistmasy fellow(company).

I think you are confusing content updates with expansions.

Rift, LOTRO, WOW etc do not charge for their content updates for subbers. If this was a proper expansion it would cost $30-$60, but they know the content is not big enough for an expansion so only charge $10 for it, highlighting the fact that the content is miniscule, and only a normal update, which the $15 should cover, but classify it as an expansion to say the game had an expansion, and not a total failure.

SWTOR has had very little content added to it since its release, the reason why people keep leaving, and lost over 75% of population from launch. Now it is supposed to get something worth subbing for, and they want more money on top again.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    In the time it took many here to argue on the forums over this they could have gone outside and made $10 collecting bottles and looking for change.

Ha, if I did that, Id be loosing money.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by superniceguy

I think you are confusing content updates with expansions.

Rift, LOTRO, WOW etc do not charge for their content updates for subbers. If this was a proper expansion it would cost $30-$60, but they know the content is not big enough for an expansion so only charge $10 for it, highlighting the fact that the content is miniscule, and only a normal update, which the $15 should cover, but classify it as an expansion to say the game had an expansion, and not a total failure.

SWTOR has had very little content added to it since its release, the reason why people keep leaving, and lost over 75% of population from launch. Now it is supposed to get something worth subbing for, and they want more money on top again.

I fully understand the point but I also look at it like the game is on a reset since F2P. It was basically a relaunch. The company and team has gone through many changes. To hold on to promises from 6 months to a year ago is unrealistic to a degree.

I too feel the 6 week content cycle should not have been stolen from for expansion content (if indeed it was) but I also note that very few mmos have given out increased level cap content free. I reserve judgement until all specifics for the expansion are out and the amount of total content confirmed.

I do one question for you though: Do you exist in cyber space for only one reason? ... to troll on SWTOR? I worry for both your physical and mental health. Move on with your life ... move on.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by birdycephon

That is not the point.

If the expansion had new stuff never before been announced, then paying for it would be more acceptable

The expansion just contains stuff that was meant to come as normal updates, and before the end of 2012, and there is NOTHING new on the horizon / planned, showing not much of a future for the game.

If people quit playing SWTOR when there was stuff coming, then they will most definately quit now when there is NOTHING.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

That is not the point.

If the expansion had new stuff never before been announced, then paying for it would be more acceptable

The expansion just contains stuff that was meant to come as normal updates, and before the end of 2012, and there is NOTHING new on the horizon / planned, showing not much of a future for the game.

If people quit playing SWTOR when there was stuff coming, then they will most definately quit now when there is NOTHING.

I dont understand your crusade against this game. You clearly don't even play it anymore (neither do i) but why are you so judgemental about where others want to spend their cash? let players decide for themselves value of their hard earned money.

I think everybody heard you first time. EA is coning everyone. Trust me we hear you loud and clear. Time to move on?

Originally posted by Zalmon

That is not the point.

I dont understand your crusade against this game. You clearly don't even play it anymore (neither do i) but why are you so judgemental about where others want to spend their cash? let players decide for themselves value of their hard earned money.

I think everybody heard you first time. EA is coning everyone. Trust me we hear you loud and clear. Time to move on?

There is no crusade to the game. I post, people respond, I reply, rinse and repeat.

Originally posted by pioneer08

That is not the point.

[mod edit]

That is the Super Secret Space Project that the have been banging on for months too, so not exactly new

Originally posted by catlana
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

"SW:TOR will never get any meaningful content updates"

SW:TOR gets expnsion. 

"It's not a proper expansion"

WAY TO CHANGE THE F****** parameters of the argument, guys.

I did lol at this. The expansion is ten dollars. I spend more than that on coffee every day. If ten dollars breaks you, you need a new job. I am hopeful that this expansion adds quite a few hours of content so I will pick this up.

$10 is not the problem - 1) The content was intended to be free, and 2) It was stated to be in game before the end of 2012.

Therefore by the time it gets in about June 2012, you would have spent about $90 more on sub fees, plus now this = $100, with little to no other content in the meantime.

"Other new features and content was also teased for the online-only game including a new HK-51 android companion, a new planet called Makeb, new space missions, flashpoints and a level cap; raise all of which will be implemented before the end of 2012."

If the stuff was brand new, then it would be only $10, and would have been an expansion, whilst makeb etc was added on top.

If $10 is OK for you then maybe you could send EA $10 for the Heroic space missions  and some of the other stuff too, that has already been added. If it is not OK for you, then maybe you see the point.

I dont see how people think that giving this stuff away will at all benefit the developer.

Would you still want the expansion for free if they came out and said that they would have to shut down their serves because they just cant sustain them anymore because they are not getting enouh revenue?

I mean, cmon. How much of a hint do you need?

I personally dont want the servers to go down, Im gladly paying for the expansion.

They are not giving it away for free, you are paying $15 per month for it.

It is the same stuff they have been banging on about all year that was going to be added for free, within your $15

If it was new stuff it would be worth paying for, as they have shown they have been hard at work on the game and commited to its future. Instead they repackage up already written content and sell it as an expansion.

They are only charging for this, to get as much money to pay back what they paid to create the game, and then servers will be shut down regardless. They are making SWTOR players pay for their mistakes.

They are turning SWTOR into the biggest con of MMO gaming.

[mod edit]

Not WRONG at all

EA said that Makeb would be a content update and not an expansion, but then they change their minds. This is not an expansion as far as I am concerned, unless it had new stuff. My comments about there being no expansion was based on the fact that Makeb would not be it, due to EA lies.

In link in previous post they said there would be a level cap, and I never said there would not be a level cap, so don't know what you are raving about there

They said no more class story, and there is not. Makeb will just contain a bunch of new side quests.

That is not the point.

[mod edit]

That is the Super Secret Space Project that the have been banging on for months too, so not exactly new

[mod edit]

No, but do about SWTOR

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Let's be civil gentlemen :) I think we all can agree that new content is a great news for SWTOR and it's fans, no matter what our opinions about it is:).

Let hide our knifes and guns (and lighsabers) and duel again when more information will surface.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by nate1980
    As a subscriber who planned on subscribing for many more months, I'm finding their recent approach to patches discouraging and distasteful.

I pay a subscription to fund the development of future content, yet they're going to charge me not only for the "expansion", but also for all the toys they used my subscription to develop, not to mention the extremely light "content" patches.

And who's to say the main storyline won't be 10% of the total content and that that storyline won't be the equivalent of the planetary storyline we know of now, which aren't all that great, with the rest of the 90% of the content being the lame side quests we can't stand in swtor?

Makeb will be 100% planetary questlines, and 0% class queslines.  It was confirmed (http://www.darthhater.com/devtracker/topic/86619-story-content-in-the-new-expansion).

quote:

"No class specific storylines are included"

Um, I already knew that. There's an overarcing storyline for each planet, which consists usually of only 10% of the content for each planet. You start that quest chain by talking to the guy in the spaceport. You know the ones I'm talking about. Then all the rest of the quests are filler sidequests. 

Who here would gladly pay $10 for any of the planets we currently have, minus the class story for that planet? I certainly wouldn't, and I'm guessing that's all we're getting with Makeb. They said we're going to love the storyline, yet they also said we'd love the lifeday event items, which I found all cheasy and a sad grab for money with no benefit for subscribers.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Let's be civil gentlemen :) I think we all can agree that new content is a great news for SWTOR and it's fans, no matter what our opinions about it is:).

Let hide our knifes and guns (and lighsabers) and duel again when more information will surface.

This is not new content though. I wish there was news of new content, and you only get this content if you pay for it.

SWTOR is seriously lacking in content.

But I do agree that things went a bit pear shaped there, people can't seem to handle the truth, and start getting personal. I'll keep debating opinions of the game, but when people can't come up with decent arguments against my opinions, they stoop to trying to discredit you or slinging insults, which is completely pathetic, and that is where it reaches the end of decent discussion.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by jpnz

Not surprized that the usual haters / fanboys are all over this.

It is $10 for additional content.

Whether that is something you want to pay for that content is up to you.

I personally don't have an issue with $10 as I like SWTOR's story and want to know more.

Christ, I can barely get drinkable coffee at that price.

Ever since MMORPG's released, it's been a well known fact that a major part of you subscription money goes towards the creation of future content updates and expansions, the former which are free, and the latter are sometimes free, depending on the company. Subscribers have seen very little in return for the continued subscription. Updates are few and far between, with little substance. Most development time is now being poured into creating things for the cash shop, and now content that was never intended for DLC is now being sold as it. 

If you're a free player, then this all doesn't sound so bad, because you're getting what you pay for (ie. cash shop items, unlocks, etc.), where subscribers get a few perks and that's it. 

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

sorry but you are wrong. you pay a sub for having an evolving game (they always use that word as an excuse for an unfinished game though) that means new content every about 2 months. they didnt deliver anything in swtor and sell their first real update as an expansion? and its a rather small update too.... 

i shouldnt care, because i neither hate or love that game, but those politics will not be good for future games. now its a sub game with no updates in this sub, a cash shop, a pay for ui-elements, and selling updates as expansions. and you think thats right? ok...

i am waiting for a game by gamers for gamers. and not for JUST the profit

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

This is not new content though. I wish there was news of new content, and you only get this content if you pay for it.

But I do agree that things went a bit pear shaped there, people can't seem to handle the truth, and start getting personal. I'll keep debating opinions of the game, but when people can't come up with decent arguments against my opinions, they stoop to trying to discredit you or slinging insults, which is completely pathetic, and that is where it reaches the end of decent discussion.

If you want to compare apples to apples, the change to F2P means EA is giving a lot more to gamers so not sure why anyone would be upset that EA is now charging for a piece of content.

I am seriously surprized at the amount of hate that people have at EA for $10 though.

That's what I spend every morning for coffee on my way to work.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DeskjetDeskjet Member UncommonPosts: 20

sorry but you are wrong. you pay a sub for having an evolving game (they always use that word as an excuse for an unfinished game though) that means new content every about 2 months. they didnt deliver anything in swtor and sell their first real update as an expansion? and its a rather small update too.... 

i shouldnt care, because i neither hate or love that game, but those politics will not be good for future games. now its a sub game with no updates in this sub, a cash shop, a pay for ui-elements, and selling updates as expansions. and you think thats right? ok...

i am waiting for a game by gamers for gamers. and not for JUST the profit

I don't normaly post in this loonybin and I'm not exactly thrilled that this "digital expansion" is being montized to subscribers but I feel I gottta chime in at this stage and point out that you're being a bit disingenious whe you say BW hasn't delivered anything and is charging for the first real update.

Since the restructuring the content updates have stuck to the prommised 6 week schedual and the game has seen a new operation with a new PvE tier of gear, a new daily area with a new companion and now a new warzone with a new PvP tier. I as a subscriber that enjoys all aspects of an MMO certainly don't feel shortchanged for my 15$ in the last 12-18 weeks and that's what matters to me. I'll complain whne there's no new content added when we again have a content drought, not now due to the fact content was teased 6months ago, that's a bit ridicolous in my book.

As far as Makeb value for the 10$, I don't feel I can say yet. It's certainly gonna be more than just say Hoth monetized, with the lvl cap raise and all but... 10$ I feel I'm fine with, 20$ for f2p? Possibly a bit much given what we know so far. Tho  I admit I don't know the usual price points for "adventure packs" in other f2p titles.

If you want to compare apples to apples, the change to F2P means EA is giving a lot more to gamers so not sure why anyone would be upset that EA is now charging for a piece of content.

I am seriously surprized at the amount of hate that people have at EA for $10 though.

$10 for that, $20 for the Life Day items (as a discounted bundle), a few dollars for Fireworks, and so on. Yep more content but at a cost, on top of your $15 monthly fee. Other MMOs that have a sub have this stuff included with your monthly fee.

The expansion will end up costing $100 by the time it gets in, as was supposed to be in before the end of 2012, so to June totals about $90 more in monthly fees, past its due date

Basically $10 is not the issue, but the lack of content, as this stuff should be in game NOW, with MORE new stuff for June / Spring. I would have paid $30 or even up to $60 for an expansion if it was stuff not mentioned already depending on what it all was (makeb and level cap raise was mentioned in June 2012)

I am going to spend $10 and more on STO instead, as they are proving that they are committed to the game and it has more of a definate future. There is plenty of stuff planned for 2013 and they recently expanded the dev team, and some were frpm Paragon Studios following the closure of COH (which only went F2P last year itself) Each week Perfect World do something for STO, and I can even play/grind the game to get ZEN (STOs currency like Cartel Coins is for SWTOR) instead of actually whipping out credit card and "cheating"

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

How do you know that "original Makeb' was supposed to be exactly the same as "expansion Makeb". In my opinion they decided to beef it up and release as expansion, therefore the delay until Spring. I think these two are two completely different beasts. Until we know more, we should not really make any assumptions.

Wow they really got you hooked lol.

As for the expansion, its a joke. With how bad they are nickle and dimin F2P and then this "expansion" that should be free content anyways..... I am definitely not coming back. DCUO, TSW, and GW2 are what im sticking with and they offer better value.

As a subscriber why would I care about F2P. They are lucky that they can experience for free this great stories in Star Wars Universe. I am totally against giving freebies to anybody. It destroys people and makes us a society of beggars and freeloaders. We have now people who get stuff for free and dare to complain about it. Maybe because I am older then 99.9% of posters here I see things differently.

Sure stick with the other games... and by all means have fun and be happy there. As for me - I do not run to other forums to bash games I no longer play. I appreciate hard work many developers spent trying their best to create great games. It's hard work, and very unrewarding... considering gamers forums.

Anyway, Yes I am hooked and addicted to SWTOR... I love it, enjoy it, having fun, having blast. I wish everybody the same kind of experience in their MMOs.

Cheers

As a subscriber you should care because EA see the sub/F2P model as their best chance of the game "making money".

Currently it isn't - EA having said that at some stage the game has to make a profit. The clear implication: the game is making a loss. So subscribers as well as F2P folk are getting a freebie.

And because EA want the game to make a profit then they are charging for the expansion - one shouldn't complain about that; if anyone needed any reminder why then THQ plight should make it clear. Yes EA have cash today but if they keep losing money then it will be all over.

I feel thst subscribers should get in early however; they shouldn't imo, have to pre-purchase. I don't like pre-purchasing at the best of times but this would have been a way of giving subscribers a perk. I can't helpthinking that it is an attempt to get money in before the end of EA's financial quarter so that EA can say that all is well. THQ coming on top of EA being removed from the NASDAQ 100 should lead to some tough shareholder questions. 

As for it being "the same Markeb" - I doubt the final design is as expansive as what they originally planned due to budget constraints but anything they had already produced (remember they started work on an nxpac before the game launch) will almost certainly have been kept and included. That simply makes sense. Two $7.50 mini-expansions is what WarHammer got after it went F2P ...... and subsequently the game went into deep auto-run mode.

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

$10.00 for coffee? Doese a Columbian on a donkey jump in your car and hand grind the beans in front of you?

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    is just 10$, and it will help them to make more content, what the big deal?. PLus, still we will get more content updates every six weeks till the xpac and after that. 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

all this whining over $10? ROFL!!

people that actually play this game from time to time are happy with this and people who spend all their time hating on the game are happy as well because it gives them something new to complain about.

its a win for everyone!