Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR expansion confirmed

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I actually cant wait untill they officially anounce the new space combat expansion.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    Originally posted by jpnz

http://www.swtor.com/buy?intcmp=sor_bwa-mkt-t-us-hp-012

It is on the official SWTOR site so it should be legitamate.

Looks pretty good so I'm happy with that. Gives me time to level my BH to 50 as well.

This isn't an expansion.  It is a game update they are charging for.  Bioware is broke.

Bioware aren't broke, they're a subsidiary of one of the largest most profitable corporations on the planet. You're probably right about the first part though, it sounds more like the DLC games like DCUO etc do than expansion. EA Marketing cogs in full spin.

Would be nice for them to surprise everyone and deliver fully fledged space that they've supposedly been working on since before launch though.

EA's profit record has not been very good for some time - they have made a loss in most of the recent quarters; as a result their stock price has crashed and they are no longer a NASDAQ 100 company. (Activisionb is still a NASDAQ 100 company).

Correct however that they are not "broke" - they have cash on hand along with some corporate borrowing. This can be used to  support new developments as well as subsidising people playing SWTOR. (Both subscribers and F2P folk - the recent "at some stage the game has to make money^ implied that EA were/are making a loss on on-going operations so every player is being subsidised!)

And yes EA have been working on an expansion since before launch. What seems to be incoming is the type of thing that Warhammer got - the stuff they had packaged into an over-hyped "mini-expansion". Not coming to next year however - sounds like they feel the need to try and persuade people to stay around. With F2P games however - people can go and come back later (or not).

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by crack_fox
    Originally posted by EA
    • Continue your Star Wars™ saga with a new level cap of 55.
    • Experience new epic story content with fully-voiced cinematic conversations.
    • New Planet: Makeb - Explore a vibrant alien landscape.

Good enough.

It was good enough when they announced it 6 months ago, as a normal content update for free, and be in game before the end of 2012.

You must be disappointed with the Heroic Space missions they just added now though, that they did not charge $10 for that too!

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    well seen has i have wasted £100's on shit games over the years i thought what the hell and ordered it..only cost me £6 so not too bad.
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

It would be nice if they added the option for the game to be purchased with Cartel Coins but given EA's track record on the Market, I won't hold my breath.

I kind of knew anyways if I wanted more story I would have to pay since we saw how much money full VO eats up. 10 bucks isn't bad but I hope the updates they are talking about showing in the next couple months have some substance.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

It would be nice if they added the option for the game to be purchased with Cartel Coins.

I'm sure that it will be purchasable with cartel coins but only some time after it's release.

Pre-ordered and looking forward to it, as far as i'm concerned more content is always a good thing.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

The price for expansion pack for subscribers is $9.99. It's quite reasonable. I am sure that they are adding many stuff that would not be there if it was coming just as content update. I am very excited. image

As for a price:

I remember paying almost the same money for EQ2 adventure packs:  The Bloodline Chronicles, The Fallen Dynasty etc... and everybody who played EQ2 know how much content it was.  Makeb is huge comparing to that.

I already pre-orderred. Considering 12/21/12 is coming it was a very risky move though image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

I see "hater's going to to hate" repliies cropping up already.

Well here's more fodder for you then.

It's is kind of a shady business practice to give such a sparse amount of information regarding the actual content of the expansion, and then keep emphasising that people need to pre-order the expansion, to be released sometime in spring, in order to obtain "5 day early access to the new content".

One may be tempted to believe that the expansion is pretty thin, which will beome apparent after the January 7th sign-up deadline.

Then again, I find head-starts pretty distasteful in the first place for expansions. In a game dependent on gear itemization, a headstart is tantamount to pre-order to gain a competative advantage, and as I stated above, you have to pre-order on a very thin amount of information as to the actual content of the expansion.

Of course that is just me. For the sake of full disclosure, my nostalgia glasses may be thick, but I thought WoW began to die the day The Burning Crusade released.

Originally posted by tiefighter25

I see "hater's going to to hate" repliies cropping up already.

Well here's more fodder for you then.

It's is kind of a shady business practice to give such a sparse amount of information regarding the actual content of the expansion, and then keep emphasising that people need to pre-order the expansion, to be released sometime in spring, in order to obtain "5 day early access to the new content".

One may be tempted to believe that the expansion is pretty thin, which will beome apparent after the January 7th sign-up deadline.

Then again, I find head-starts pretty distasteful in the first place for expansions. In a game dependent on gear itemization, a headstart is tantamount to pre-order to gain a competative advantage, and as I stated above, you have to pre-order on a very thin amount of information as to the actual content of the expansion.

Of course that is just me. For the sake of full disclosure, my nostalgia glasses may be thick, but I thought WoW began to die the day The Burning Crusade released.

BioWare does not force you to pre-order.  This incentive is for players like me :) who love the game so much that are willing to dish money now (geee before 12/21/12)  to play 5 days earlier. I am sure majority of players can wait and get it at release.

It's absolutely optional.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by EA

Good enough.

It was good enough when they announced it 6 months ago, as a normal content update for free, and be in game before the end of 2012.

Yes, I know. MMO developers do bad things and they frequently screw up. I've been around too long to put any faith in their promises. All I can do is look at what they put out and decide whether that is worth my time and my money. Right now this game is worth both. And based on what I've read, this expansion/update seems to have enough content to justify the small fee.  

Originally posted by EA

Good enough.

Yes, I know. MMO developers do bad things and they frequently screw up. I've been around too long to put any faith in their promises. All I can do is look at what they put out and decide whether that is worth my time and my money. Right now this game is worth both. And based on what I've read, this expansion/update seems to have enough content to justify the small fee.  

At level 50 - 5 levels is a lot of content. Corellia - the last planet is like 2 levels at most, so it's going to be much bigger than Corellia. Besides... new exciting story... involving filthy Hutts... LOL - my hand are already itching for some lighsaber action... "kill Baras style" /grin

Originally posted by parrotpholk
    Is this little bit even worthy of the term expansion.  Just call it what it is and thats a content patch being pawned off as DLC.

It expands SW universe so why not. One more planet ... expansion in my language.

And assuming it';s a "little bit" is premature. Five new levels is a nice size content.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    5 more levels of story and content is alot, i remember planets like tattoine and hoth where u just earn 2 o 3 levels maybe. So Makeb could be huge, and still is just 10$. but i wanna know what is ¨and still more secrets to be revealed!¨  that they are talkign about. 
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    The optimism is mind numbing.

We shall see. I want spring to be here already. Biowares track record is crap when it comes to swtor. They haven't proven to me otherwise.

I'm fascinated by the upcoming results. Until then, I will reserve my opinions.
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

The price for expansion pack for subscribers is $9.99. It's quite reasonable. I am sure that they are adding many stuff that would not be there if it was coming just as content update. I am very excited. image

As for a price:

I remember paying almost the same money for EQ2 adventure packs:  The Bloodline Chronicles, The Fallen Dynasty etc... and everybody who played EQ2 know how much content it was.  Makeb is huge comparing to that.

I already pre-orderred. Considering 12/21/12 is coming it was a very risky move though image

I would be excited if this expansion contained new material, but we knew this stuff was coming, but not as an expansion. If this was not announced this stuff was imminent anyway and should be in game already, and now have to wait 6 more months and pay for it. So I am not excited about it, just leaves me more frustrated with the game and EA.

First of all it was intened to be free, and because of that it makes the price not reasonable.

As for a price:

I would be excited if this expansion contained new material, but we knew this stuff was coming, but not as an expansion. If this was not announced this stuff was imminent anyway and should be in game already, and now have to wait 6 more months and pay for it. So I am not excited about it, just leaves me more frustrated with the game and EA.

First of all it was intened to be free, and because of that it makes the price not reasonable.

How do you know that "original Makeb' was supposed to be exactly the same as "expansion Makeb". In my opinion they decided to beef it up and release as expansion, therefore the delay until Spring. I think these two are two completely different beasts. Until we know more, we should not really make any assumptions.

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234

As for a price:

How do you know that "original Makeb' was supposed to be exactly the same as "expansion Makeb". In my opinion they decided to beef it up and release as expansion, therefore the delay until Spring. I think these two are two completely different beasts. Until we know more, we should not really make any assumptions.

Wow they really got you hooked lol.

As for the expansion, its a joke. With how bad they are nickle and dimin F2P and then this "expansion" that should be free content anyways..... I am definitely not coming back. DCUO, TSW, and GW2 are what im sticking with and they offer better value.

• WayshubaWayshuba Member UncommonPosts: 72

Haha. This made me laugh.

So, for subscribers, after paying $180 for a year for very little content, they now add ONE planet and allow you to gain 5 levels and call it an expansion so they can charge everyone. I'll give them credit that it is low priced - but it should be a warning when it is $10/$20 that there is little to this and it is simply an excuse to milk the current player base.

SWTOR is showing it is on it's last legs. This is just a money grab before they run out of Patch 1.4 content to distribute.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Nice.  I'm a bit surprised.  Good to see they're adding content.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

Wow! this is a expansion in swtor terms eh?

This is like a tuesday patch for wow.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

Originally posted by XAPGames
    Nice.  I'm a bit surprised.  Good to see they're adding content.

Yeah, a year late and 10 dollars short!

Originally posted by mcburly

As for a price:

Wow they really got you hooked lol.

As for the expansion, its a joke. With how bad they are nickle and dimin F2P and then this "expansion" that should be free content anyways..... I am definitely not coming back. DCUO, TSW, and GW2 are what im sticking with and they offer better value.

As a subscriber why would I care about F2P. They are lucky that they can experience for free this great stories in Star Wars Universe. I am totally against giving freebies to anybody. It destroys people and makes us a society of beggars and freeloaders. We have now people who get stuff for free and dare to complain about it. Maybe because I am older then 99.9% of posters here I see things differently.

Sure stick with the other games... and by all means have fun and be happy there. As for me - I do not run to other forums to bash games I no longer play. I appreciate hard work many developers spent trying their best to create great games. It's hard work, and very unrewarding... considering gamers forums.

Anyway, Yes I am hooked and addicted to SWTOR... I love it, enjoy it, having fun, having blast. I wish everybody the same kind of experience in their MMOs.

Cheers

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

lol. just found out it will NOT be possible to purchase with cartel coins, we need to pay with CASH on top?!!

Not cool Bioware, not cool. I've been saving up your stupid coins exactly for that, CONTENT.

First Pay 2 win star ship upgrades, Lifeday without an event, but selling 18$ lifeday speeders? Then this??

Bioware trying to troll me? sorry but enough is enough, you can keep your stuff :-///

sub canceled

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by FromHell

lol. just found out it will NOT be possible to purchase with cartel coins, we need to pay with CASH on top?!!

Not cool Bioware, not cool. I've been saving up your stupid coins exactly for that, CONTENT.

First Pay 2 win star ship upgrades, Lifeday without an event, but selling 18$ lifeday speeders? Then this??

Bioware trying to troll me? sorry but enough is enough, you can keep your stuff :-///

sub canceled

I was surprised that you were subbed:) Good luck on your Other MMos journey :)

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by FromHell

sub canceled

Is just 10$.