Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A tiny nugget more news on EQ: Next

Comments

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Arclan

Give players time to talk while in a group. Otherwise friendships won't form; and friendships keep players around for years.

Action-oriented combat + out of combat regen = no time to chat = no friendships. IMO.

You don't have a guild with voice chat?

Voice chat? Do you even know what EQ is like.

You think there are many guilds that use voice chat? 99% of EQ's guilds never use voice chat and never will.

Our guld will never use voice chat, and there are many reaons as to why, organisational skills in guilds that have over 100 people online at any time big can not be done with voice chat, you can not manage guilds that scale with voice chat.

Voice chat is extremely unpopular in EQ. This isn't WoW where you only need to manage 20 players, raiding is 54 players minimum, with usually 10-20 people benched.

Everything is done by typing in channels with a hierarchy, none of it is done with voice chat, voice chat is 100% useless for large-scale raiding.

Raid channel-> Officer channel -> Class channel

MT channel

Loot channel -> DKP channel

Guild channel

Bench channel

Recruit channel

Voice chat is useless.

The guy you responded to is 100% right, the number one reason the comminity established itself is through chatting in the game, voice chat lobbies are not only impractical, they also break up the community which is detrimental to the game.

My EQ guild used voice chat as far back as at least Luclin. I remember when Ventrilo was publically released.

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Bold words! But, in any case, the game seems to have gone down well with SOE staff at its internal unveiling.

“I was really nervous about [showing SOE staff the game],” says Smedley. “We showed it to them on Monday, and I couldn’t sleep on Sunday night because I was scared. We’ve thrown out two previous designs of the game to go with something pretty crazy and… well, it’s awesome. When the team saw it I could barely breathe when they were watching it. But when I’d finished they were clapping and cheering – and these guys are gamers, so they’re not afraid to call bullshit when they see us make a mistake. It’s happened before. We’ve made mistakes, and the guys internally will call us on it every time. But they loved this, and we really felt vindicated that the way we’re going with Everquest Next is the right way. I feel good about it. We’re not trying to make WOW2 or Everquest 2.5 – we’re making something that we think will define the next generation of MMOs.”

They don't call bullshit because you pay them and they would get marks put on them as a negative nancy employee who brings down team morale.

As for him claiming "the guys internally will call us on it every time", sure, right, maybe when the economy was stronger, or maybe that's just in Smedley's fantasy world - the same place thought the SWG NGE was something 'clap and cheer' worthy.

I don't trust SOE one bit, I don't trust the entire gaming industry one bit at this point, because it's more overrun with suit-wearing snakes and beancounters rather than genuine quality game teams; oh, and I'm not just talking about the guys in accounting and marketing yadda yadda, I'm talking about even the developers, the coders, the designers; they have all become lazy and greedy, lacking in creativity and ambition. 

The piles upon piles of WoW and Call of Duty clones that litter what is nearing a decade is proof. These people, these 'game creators' organize nowadays more blatantly, as if they are just looking to create an ATM.

Go take a look at the top grossing game on mobile, 'Rage of Bahamut'. There is the future where the brain power goes. Simplified atm machines in the mask of games.

And now you have Steam adding RMT. A decade ago the gaming community abhorred this Pay2Win mentality. Now, with the blessing of the game creators themselves, RMT is legitimized and officially sanctioned, and my points are proven.

The entire 'gaming' industry is in its fall, and winter isn't far off. Everything happens in cycles.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by SaltyBogey

EQ Next will be a massive failure... Don't believe me?

Check out SOE fantastic Light-Forge engine on Planetside 2... It's laughable at best

whats wrong with the engine?

For a fast pased MMOFPS game with 1000s of players in the same area PS2 looks stunning it also plays really well.. for a brand new engine to run that well is a really good thing. SOE have done an awesome job...

im really looking forward to EQ:next now and i cant wait for more info..

Other tha the repopulation and EQ:next im not really looking forward to any up-coming MMORPGs..

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

EQ is still the only thing SOE really has going for it. Everything else is underpopulated, closed down or just sold off.

They don't know how to run things very well and most of them don't know how to handle community relations. 

I treat SOE like I treat Funcom at this point.. With a heavy dose of skepticism and the promise that I will never buy any of their games on release unless I have been given extensive time to try it out. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ps2 is going well so disagree
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    As are a lot of thier other games recently. Sometimes the SoEHate runs so deep it hinders the senses :)
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    If they adopt action combat, I'll slit my wrists.

Originally posted by Baseline
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Bold words! But, in any case, the game seems to have gone down well with SOE staff at its internal unveiling.

“I was really nervous about [showing SOE staff the game],” says Smedley. “We showed it to them on Monday, and I couldn’t sleep on Sunday night because I was scared. We’ve thrown out two previous designs of the game to go with something pretty crazy and… well, it’s awesome. When the team saw it I could barely breathe when they were watching it. But when I’d finished they were clapping and cheering – and these guys are gamers, so they’re not afraid to call bullshit when they see us make a mistake. It’s happened before. We’ve made mistakes, and the guys internally will call us on it every time. But they loved this, and we really felt vindicated that the way we’re going with Everquest Next is the right way. I feel good about it. We’re not trying to make WOW2 or Everquest 2.5 – we’re making something that we think will define the next generation of MMOs.”

They don't call bullshit because you pay them and they would get marks put on them as a negative nancy employee who brings down team morale.

As for him claiming "the guys internally will call us on it every time", sure, right, maybe when the economy was stronger, or maybe that's just in Smedley's fantasy world - the same place thought the SWG NGE was something 'clap and cheer' worthy.

I don't trust SOE one bit, I don't trust the entire gaming industry one bit at this point, because it's more overrun with suit-wearing snakes and beancounters rather than genuine quality game teams; oh, and I'm not just talking about the guys in accounting and marketing yadda yadda, I'm talking about even the developers, the coders, the designers; they have all become lazy and greedy, lacking in creativity and ambition. 

The piles upon piles of WoW and Call of Duty clones that litter what is nearing a decade is proof. These people, these 'game creators' organize nowadays more blatantly, as if they are just looking to create an ATM.

Go take a look at the top grossing game on mobile, 'Rage of Bahamut'. There is the future where the brain power goes. Simplified atm machines in the mask of games.

And now you have Steam adding RMT. A decade ago the gaming community abhorred this Pay2Win mentality. Now, with the blessing of the game creators themselves, RMT is legitimized and officially sanctioned, and my points are proven.

The entire 'gaming' industry is in its fall, and winter isn't far off. Everything happens in cycles.

.....or maybe they learned to listen to their employees since the CU and NGE debacle from Star Wars Galaxies?  You know, sometimes the bad or stupid guy actually learns their lesson and reforms for the better.  I'm a wait and see person and usually don't even bother unless I get into beta to see what it's really like.  I do this with any game or any developers no matter how much I may have liked their games in the past.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    O1

Deleted the blatcher  just to highlight the clever thing said here, and that he didn't pick up on his own irony.  Spring, = EQ, Summer = WoW ,  Smedley and co are working on next Spring's game.

Originally posted by Jyiiga

EQ is still the only thing SOE really has going for it. Everything else is underpopulated, closed down or just sold off.

They don't know how to run things very well and most of them don't know how to handle community relations. 

I treat SOE like I treat Funcom at this point.. With a heavy dose of skepticism and the promise that I will never buy any of their games on release unless I have been given extensive time to try it out. 

Clone Wars Adventures, DCU Online, Free Realms...

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Considering there isn't a single video or screenshot as far as i know of the game, it seems rather arrogant to claim the game to be a failure at this point. Yes yes fool me once and all the other reasons, but that just means you believe it when you see it. You can't fairly say that they're lying just because you don't like their past games. On the other hand bad past games are a reason to be skeptical, and to be sure you may not give the game a chance because you gave past products a chance. Nor can anyone say this game will be amazing what with there only being blerbs from the devolopers, and again, no screenshots or videos. As for me, I will keep an eye on more updates about this game since I enjoyed EQ for several years and thought EQ2 was decent. Never bothered with Planetside 1 or 2, DC Universe, and was meh to SWG pre NGE and didn't like it post. So all in all mostly postive experience for me.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Clone Wars Adventures, DCU Online, Free Realms...

Clone Wars is a disgrace to Star Wars and designed for tweens. Free Realms has more content, but is still ultimately a tween and teen game (though I admit a success). The vast majority of MMORPG.com goers have zero interest in these. Which is very obviously if you look at their forums here. DCU Online - is doing "ok", but still its not a very strong game. 

Now explain all these...

Cosmic Rift

SWG  - Ruined by SOE and closed down.

The Matrix Online - "Face Palm"

Vanguard - Never treated seriously by SOE (publish and market). Decent game, but not developed by SOE.

Lords of Everquest - Terrible single player title. Scored averaged around 60%

Everyquest Online Adventures

Pirates of the Burning Sea - Being seperated from SOE - Miserable population.

Their ratio of fail games to average games to great games... Is poor. 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Jyiiga

SoE develops and/or runs more games than any other company at least in NA/EU. Of course they will get bumps on the head and make mistakes. At this moment right now the company is doing very well in not only having higher pops in thier main games but the attitude they have as a whole.

I think you confuse your interests with what the reality is. Free Realms and SWtCW are good games with large populations no matter what you or anyone on this site may personally feel about the game. It has zero to do with your earlier comments of SoEs performance. In fact, the idea they cater to as many age group and genre groups as possible points to very smart decision making.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If they adopt action combat like say darkfall but more polished

I might actually enjoy an EQ game.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

DCU Online - is doing "ok", but still its not a very strong game. 

for pc gaming, probably true but for console gaming:

SOE – 70% of DCUO players are on PS3

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/18/soe-70-of-dcuo-players-are-on-ps3-proving-mmos-work-on-console/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/70-of-soes-revenue-on-playstation-3-smedley-mum-on-planetside/

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

Now explain all these...

Cosmic Rift

Cosmic Rift was really just part of Infantry, but nominally split off into a separate game for marketing reasons.  That's kind of like counting Guild Wars Factions and Guild Wars Nightfall as independent games.  And Infantry is still the best PVP game ever made, even if SOE didn't make it but only picked it up when GameFan went down.

PotBS wasn't bad. even if it wasn't that good, either.  The ship combat was pretty good, and the crafting was decent.  And it most certainly wasn't a WoW-clone, nor a clone of anything else.  We complain so much about clones here, but SOE is more willing to go off the beaten path and try something new than most of the big publishers.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I dunno I played EQ and MMOs today are nothing like it. For me WoW was loosely based on EQ but they played like two different genres. It would be like saying every FPS today is basically Doom. I find it rather insulting really that people say WoW is an Everquest clone, I wouldn't have played EQ if it was anything like WoW lol. That said I liked WoW for what it was, which seems a strange thing to say, I mostly hate the butchered state it is in now really.

John Smedley really has become Molyneux for me, always promises and never delivers.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

DCUO was quite innovative in certain ways, the problem it had was lack of anything to do. You cannot say SOE never tried doing something different, they always do...

Everquest

Star Wars Galaxies

EverQuest 2

Planetside

Planetside 2

DC Universe Online

Vanguard (not made by them but they still bought it and have let it run much longer than it should have)

All these games are different from each other, like vastly different experiences. SOE have always tried to innovate and set new boundaries for the genre............ sadly their management sucks and ruins each game and makes us hate SOE. When I think about how good each of these games could have been and how they're ended up, it makes me sad.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I was wondering how long it was going to take the butt hurt ex SWG players and ex EQ2 players to descend upon the thread and proceed to beat the same dead horse they've been beating for a few more pages.

Honestly, im just tired of hearing about it.  The chances of even 1 out of 10 people on these forums who pull the SoE Hate card having even played SWG pre-nge or EQ2 at release are about squat.  We get it, you hate sony, you hate smed, he is the antichrist.  We don't need you reminding us of your hatred EVERY SINGLE THREAD that relates to any Sony product.

I for example  hate Apple with every fiber of my being.  But i dont sit around surfing forums looking for threads related to Apple's upcoming this or that so i can go in there and flood it with posts complaining about Apple.

The simple fact of the matter is EQ:Next is the ONLY mmorpg on the horizon which has even a smidgeon of a chance of being worth playing, with the sole possible exception of Neverwinter.  Is it an admittedly smaller than i'd like chance of success, but still a decent chance.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Now explain all these...

Cosmic Rift

Cosmic Rift was really just part of Infantry, but nominally split off into a separate game for marketing reasons.  That's kind of like counting Guild Wars Factions and Guild Wars Nightfall as independent games.  And Infantry is still the best PVP game ever made, even if SOE didn't make it but only picked it up when GameFan went down.

PotBS wasn't bad. even if it wasn't that good, either.  The ship combat was pretty good, and the crafting was decent.  And it most certainly wasn't a WoW-clone, nor a clone of anything else.  We complain so much about clones here, but SOE is more willing to go off the beaten path and try something new than most of the big publishers.

Actually, Cosmic Rift was not ever meant to be a part of Infantry. It was developed by someone that I have personally spoken to in game (Around 1997 I think). JeffP. It was based off of Subspace, which I played WAY WAY too much when I was younger. Infantry was just an off shoot as well.

I never got into Infantry, it was kinda neat though. And playing Cosmic Rift after Subspace was crazy because it was so much easier. I didn't enjoy it too much at all.

Subspace can now be found for free as Continuum. Sadly, the servers are pretty lacking :( I still hop on to it now and then. I play on the Chaos server, its been quite a long time though and after reading this... I think I'll download it again lol.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    Originally posted by madazz

Now explain all these...

Cosmic Rift

Actually, Cosmic Rift was not ever meant to be a part of Infantry. It was developed by someone that I have personally spoken to in game (Around 1997 I think). JeffP. It was based off of Subspace, which I played WAY WAY too much when I was younger. Infantry was just an off shoot as well.

I never got into Infantry, it was kinda neat though. And playing Cosmic Rift after Subspace was crazy because it was so much easier. I didn't enjoy it too much at all.

Subspace can now be found for free as Continuum. Sadly, the servers are pretty lacking :( I still hop on to it now and then. I play on the Chaos server, its been quite a long time though and after reading this... I think I'll download it again lol.

You know who the main programmer behind Infantry was?  JeffP.

Infantry and Cosmic Rift used exactly the same game engine, but just different parameters to feed into the game engine.    But Infantry had a bunch of different zones that used that game engine with different parameters for different zones.  So did Cosmic Rift.  Which zones were officially part of which game was completely arbitrary, and likely they could have moved any zone from one game to the other without changing a thing.

And the zones in Infantry were hardly all the same, either.  There were a variety of Capture the Flag zones that were very similar to each other.  There were also Skirmish zones that were very similar to each other.  But Boom Ball X?  (For people who haven't played it, roughly a cross between dodge ball and foosball.)  Soccer?  GravBall?  Titan Rally was a racing zone, even.  Was a randomly selected Cosmic Rift zone really any more different from Eol than Boom Ball X was?

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If they adopt action combat like say darkfall but more polished

I might actually enjoy an EQ game.

Depends on the direction they took with it. I definitely want to see the first person view point to be the primary view point as it was with classic Everquest.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Until I see any screenshots of the game it's all smoke and mirrors and hype, hype, hype. ;)
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by madazz

Now explain all these...

Cosmic Rift

You know who the main programmer behind Infantry was?  JeffP.

Infantry and Cosmic Rift used exactly the same game engine, but just different parameters to feed into the game engine.    But Infantry had a bunch of different zones that used that game engine with different parameters for different zones.  So did Cosmic Rift.  Which zones were officially part of which game was completely arbitrary, and likely they could have moved any zone from one game to the other without changing a thing.

And the zones in Infantry were hardly all the same, either.  There were a variety of Capture the Flag zones that were very similar to each other.  There were also Skirmish zones that were very similar to each other.  But Boom Ball X?  (For people who haven't played it, roughly a cross between dodge ball and foosball.)  Soccer?  GravBall?  Titan Rally was a racing zone, even.  Was a randomly selected Cosmic Rift zone really any more different from Eol than Boom Ball X was?

Yes... it was JeffP... that was my point... you obviously didn't get it.

Just because there were similarities between them doesn't mean they were ever designed to be one (or tied in). Because they weren't. They were 2 separate games that utlilized many of the same features (and engine). A lot like all the cookie cutter games out there now a days. Hell, some even use the same resources. So please, don't say something that simply isn't true. They were NEVER meant to be one game. EVER. Cosmic Rift was never meant to be part of Infantry.

Cosmic Rift was basically his second try/sequal to Subspace. Nothing on this forum has ever offended me (though it may appear otherwise lol), but this actually does. I was a rabid fan and know first hand that Cosmic Rift was never EVER meant to be part of infantry. I have more hours playing those games than I will ever care to admit, I was a big part of the community and participated in that game like no other. I knew all the updates, what the devs were up to, was an admin on the servers, and even knew of Cosmic Rift before it had any sort of annoucement. I even got to test it. So the information I am sharing with you is from a source, not made up, not an opinion, not an observer, someone who was involved.

The rest of your post is odd, as it seems you are trying to argue similarities to the game, rather than to back up your reasoning as to why the games were apparently meant to be one originally. As such, I won't even respond to that,

PLANETSIDE 2, Max graphics, 2012

Vanguard, 2007

I don't think you quite remember Vanguard. Repeat textures were everywhere. An example:

It looks miles better than PS2, the crispness and draw distance is insane in Vanguard compared to PS2,

You called PS2's engine the most advanced MMO engine in existence, and now you're failing to defend it against ancient games.

As I pointed out, I am not against EQNext's engine, but I know it's nowhere close to acceptible level to compete against current MMO.

The difference is that PS2 will usually have dozens if not hundreds of people in a small battle area and thanks to the lower texture quality, you can pretty much enjoy the battle with little to no choppiness at high settings.  The engine is quite capable of higher resolution textures, they merely chose to make cuts in order to optimize gameplay with crowded areas and it is absolutely necessary when you are required to accurately aim at both close moving targets and for long range sniper targeting.