Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A tiny nugget more news on EQ: Next

HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

So, not a whole lot of info, but at least its something, and from what it is it bodes well. I particularly liked the comment about how the guys would call bullshit on them, anyways, here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/14/everquest-next-is-pretty-crazy-says-soe-president-were-not-trying-to-make-wow2/

“Everybody has been making the same game since Everquest, really,” says Smedley. “If you look back, Ultima Online was out before us and really, all the current crop of MMOs are a lot like Everquest – they’re in that style. They’re great because the quality level has really improved, but nobody has really changed the game. the previous designs we had for the next Everquest were cookie-cutter, they were ‘me too’. We had some great, innovative things in there and they’d have been great games in themselves, but they wouldn’t have been enough to keep an audience. We’ve had people playing Everquest for 13 years and we kept that in our mind as the main goal when making Everquest Next.”

Bold words! But, in any case, the game seems to have gone down well with SOE staff at its internal unveiling.

“I was really nervous about [showing SOE staff the game],” says Smedley. “We showed it to them on Monday, and I couldn’t sleep on Sunday night because I was scared. We’ve thrown out two previous designs of the game to go with something pretty crazy and… well, it’s awesome. When the team saw it I could barely breathe when they were watching it. But when I’d finished they were clapping and cheering – and these guys are gamers, so they’re not afraid to call bullshit when they see us make a mistake. It’s happened before. We’ve made mistakes, and the guys internally will call us on it every time. But they loved this, and we really felt vindicated that the way we’re going with Everquest Next is the right way. I feel good about it. We’re not trying to make WOW2 or Everquest 2.5 – we’re making something that we think will define the next generation of MMOs.”

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    While EQ1 is still my favorite game of all time I'm definitely ready for something different.  Here's to hoping they have created something different, interesting and fun all within a virtual world type setting.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It would be great if whatever their internal gamers saw accidentally got leaked..

I'm glad they are focusing on retention.  I'm also proud of them for throwing out their "me too" WoW clones (or whatever they were) and then admitting their mistakes to the world.

Given the rise of bad MMORPG games, I guess there isn't anywhere else to go but up.  EverQuest Next or ArcheAge .. hmm which will come first..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• SaltyBogeySaltyBogey Member UncommonPosts: 123

EQ Next will be a massive failure... Don't believe me?

Check out SOE fantastic Light-Forge engine on Planetside 2... It's laughable at best

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    its SOE.. i'll belive it when I see it...
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by SaltyBogey

Check out SOE fantastic Light-Forge engine on Planetside 2... It's laughable at best

Yeah, cus in the next 2-3 years they have to release the game, i'm sure they'll be completely incapable of fixing any engine related issues.

You people crack me up.  "X game will be a massive failure! Know why?!?!!!!  Because i saw one of the developers smoking  a menthol while wearing a polka dot shirt the other day, clearly he is insane and will totally ruin the game"

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Dudek28

^^^ This^^^ 

Just because Smed said it, doesn't make anything in that short snippit in anyway true.  If, like he said, those internal to SOE aren't afraid to call bullshit and have, then that means that either, Smed and his other execs haven't listened in the past or they are totally clueless and cried BS for the wrong reasons.  Oh well, we shall have to see won't we.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

If it is a failure, it will have nothing to do with the engine.  It will have everything to do with Smed turning everything he touches into complete crap.  Besides, they won't make the same mistake they did in EQ2 and make the engines performance based off the CPU instead of the graphics card... Oh wait, this is $OE I'm talking about... Anything is possible I guess.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lightforge is a superb engine, its an actual mmo engine, not a let's stick people in instances of 50 players engine.

You don't need a killer cpu to use it, I have a fairly cap fx4
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    But wait, I thought player retention didn't matter, it was about getting a constant flow of new customers with a rushed product for game hoppers :)

Yeah it will be interesting to see just what comes of EQN. As for the Forgelight engine a lot of people don't realize that there is a higher setting for graphics through the config file. It's a great engine, especially since it has a physics engine built in. and if the rumors are true about ground destruction then it will be even better.

I'm not sure it's 2-3 years away. Well maybe two since Smed stated it could be played at next years Fan Faire
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

I love the way planetside 2 looks and runs.... not sure what you are getting at? 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Hrimnir
    "...But when I’d finished they were clapping and cheering – and these guys are gamers, so they’re not afraid to call bullshit when they see us make a mistake...”
    1) What kind of "gamers" are these people? The new type of gamers running the market now, or the old timers looking for something else?

2) I have to wonder about employees calling BS on an employer's massive project. A project they have scrapped 2 previous versions already and are probably getting a little antsy. Who in the Emperor's Court told him he had no clothes on? Nobody that had a vested interest in his court :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Originally posted by madazz

I love the way planetside 2 looks and runs.... not sure what you are getting at? 

I dont get the point either.  I can have 500 players running around blowing crap up and i get 60-100fps.  Whats the problem?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513
    SOE staff cheering for the game is NOT a good sign. It means the game will have new ways of ripping you off. Something like micro transactions where you have to pay to revive your char after death or pay to insta-travel to another town.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

I have a mid-grade PC - AMD x4 Geforce 560. I have been in battles with 300+ over big bases with tons of Air and ground vehicles blasting away, hundreds of infantry, tracers, explosions. movement every where and i am getting 20-40 fps!

Anyone that thinks the Lightforge engine is crap has to be mentally unstable. 

PS2 is probably one of the greatest FPS advances in gaming. It will do to FPS what Battlefield 1942 did to gaming. I seriously doubt that developers are going to talk about how amazing their Multiplayer is anymore. You can't compete with the scale of Planetside 2. It is a solid FPS with 10x the scope of any other FPS in history. 

Now EQ:N i can't wait to see what they are going to do. I LOVED EQ1. I just hope they don't puss out. It needs to be like EQ1 was. You do not want to die... ever! 

Here's to hoping.

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

If PS2 looks and/or performs laughably to you, you just need to upgrade your pc.

I, for one, am willing to give SOE the benefit of the doubt since we know too little to make a judgement at this point aside from the possibility that what Smedley says is true. If it is true, then we may be looking at something that truly evolves the genre. We can but hope.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

You're right - you make me laugh.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

There are NO companies that I -give- a free pass to. No company is worth that. It's ALL "I'll believe it when I see it", always.

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    gameplay vid or it didn't happen
  • VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Time will tell, I'm still interested though.
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

well there werent really any news in that piece, other than they apparently have presented the game for the general staff at SOE´s.

but certainly any little news are good news - looking much forward to see something concrete about the game and design decision, Smedley is always all about big words, so can just hope the reallity aint too far from the promises, usually you can say...well he didnt lie buuuut really? this is it? : P

I cant get excited about anything Smedley say, but do love Norrath...and because of that I do look forward to see what they can do with their new engine - hopefully will get a better atmosphere within my guild as well, it is very clear to me that people start to become "b**chy" due to boredom - much like these forums : P

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Interesting. Thanks, OP
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

This is the approach I am taking simply because EQ2 was supposed to be the EQ next and it pretty much sucked compared to the first one....EQ2 was basically turned into EQ WoW.....SO now as a result, I wont believe that EQ next will be any different until thry prove it.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It seems like it will be years away, we'll have to see how it develops. I sincerely hope devs start taking mmo's in a different direction. The past years have been nothing but clones, sick of the typical themepark mmo's these days.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I don't normally pay attention to buzz because, well, buzz is cheap.  But I have to admit he said all my personal dream buzzwords when he talked about the design of the game.  It's a little unfortunate that he attached it to a discussion of business models that hit all my personal red-alert buzzwords.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Tayah
    It seems like it will be years away, we'll have to see how it develops. I sincerely hope devs start taking mmo's in a different direction. The past years have been nothing but clones, sick of the typical themepark mmo's these days.

Thats why i think this article/interview bodes well. Smed admits that they had previous incarnations of the game that were essentially WOW 2.0 and that they totally scrapped them to do something better, while also keeping original EQ1 in mind.

I know that its popular to hate on smed, which i find completely ridiculous as lets be honest, we all know the NGE was not his doing, and nothing else i've seen him do has been any worse than anything blizzard or funcom or any other MMO dev has done.

So, that being said, ill keep faith.

- Friedrich Nietzsche