Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious players must wait?

So I'm assuming us new players who are curious about Darkfall: Unholy Wars, but not curious enough to pay $30 for a beta. Will have to wait until sometime after release to try the game before we buy the game?

There were certain things that kept me from ever playing Darkfall, namely the very outdated graphics. Now that they have added better lighting and overall graphics upgrades I'm interested in trying it, sad that we have to wait so long. Because the features implimented sound pretty interesting.

Comments

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    you may or may not have to wait till after the release they havent said if they would add a trial right away or not but you will definetly hear a lot about it from players who are curious to spend the 30 bones like myself as soon as the NDA is lifted im sure there will be mad vids / articles to atleast push you towards buying or not buying before official release.
  • AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

I'm not sure if the beta is intended for new players.

There will be bugs, in the end everything will be wiped, and it costs 30$ to get in. Also - primalist class, big ships, and few more things are not in the current build.

Just wait few days / weeks for gameplay movies, first reviews, and for the real launch. 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Ecoces
    [mod edit]

Why would it go FTP? The first one never did.

Usually only failed WoW clones go FTP.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    [mod edit]

it wont got ftp df1 never did until the last month

• njainjai Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by skorner64

So I'm assuming us new players who are curious about Darkfall: Unholy Wars, but not curious enough to pay $30 for a beta. Will have to wait until sometime after release to try the game before we buy the game?

There were certain things that kept me from ever playing Darkfall, namely the very outdated graphics. Now that they have added better lighting and overall graphics upgrades I'm interested in trying it, sad that we have to wait so long. Because the features implimented sound pretty interesting.

Yes this is how video games work.

Darkfall for now.

Quit bashing games YOU don't like! Including WoW, you know you liked it before you got burned out.

http://live.xbox.com/member/Njai

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by skorner64

"curious" players like you have no place in beta.  wait til launch.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    [mod edit]

Fat chance of that happening. AV will rather announce DF3.0, with "no info about wipe or not" to keep people paying and playing, then a couple months before launch of DF3.0 they confirm that there will be a wipe and laugh the whole time walking to the bank.

The only reason to not announce if there will be a wipe or not is that there will be a wipe. Think about it.

Ok a bit off topic. Yes you need, and should, wait.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Beta is not a free trial, so yes unless you are willing to buy the game on a whim you will not be able to play it until it releases. When it releases you will still need to pay $30 to try it too.

Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Beta is not a free trial...

No it's not. Heaven forbid they used to pay beta testers for testing their game...

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by tom_gore

No it's not. Heaven forbid they used to pay beta testers for testing their game...

Who ever paid beta testers?

I have been playing MMO's and console games for 12 years now and every beta I have been part of has been volunteer position. I don't think I have ever seen a job advertised as a paid beta tester position.

I have also worked in QA in the games industry but that is a vastly different job to just beta testing in your spare time.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

They will have internal QA testers but beta testing is all about getting numbers into their game and always have been.. no company not even AAA companies can afford to pay that many beta testers.. This is mainly for MMORPGs tho of course other types of games are different.

Originally posted by Caldrin

They will have internal QA testers but beta testing is all about getting numbers into their game and always have been.. no company not even AAA companies can afford to pay that many beta testers.. This is mainly for MMORPGs tho of course other types of games are different.

Then the name "beta" should not be used, but instead "stress test". For that I would understand that the testers would be volunteers.

Somehow developers and publishers have managed to turn a valuable service to them, into a priviledge to the players. And charge top dollar for such priviledge, nonetheless.

But I guess they need to do something like that to get pre-orders for digital items. The good old "these won't last long" doesn't work very well with digital goods.