Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I jump in?

teratyateratya Member UncommonPosts: 347

I am an MMO vet who has been looking for a new game for a while but have yet to find a game that meets my desires for a while lately. I stumbled upon Darkfall:UW and after reading up on it am quite intrigued.

Out of all the games I have played my favorites tend to be the sandbox style, with detailed gathering/harvesting systems, simple crafting, plenty of PvE, and risk involved. Titles that fit this mold for me were old school Ultima Online, and most recently Vanguard.

I loved VG because the harvesting could be a profession in its own and the world was HUGE!!! UO was great because one was always looking over their shoulder.

Im not one to rely on PvP though, so my concern is that the game will require to be reliant on that much of the time. Im good with scrapping it up from time to time but dont want to have it be an every second thing.

I love exploration and not knowing whats over the nexr rise or around the corner, and based on some things Ive read the Darkfall world seems it will be pretty darn huge. This is what makes VG #1 on my list of faves.

For those that have played the two games I spoke of, is Darkfall:UW worth checking out?

John - "Looks like your going to have to close it yourself, SHITTY!!!!"

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If PvP isn't your main reason for being there then I don't see the point in being in DF. I'd wait for a trial if I were you (if they ever do one).
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by teratya

I am an MMO vet who has been looking for a new game for a while but have yet to find a game that meets my desires for a while lately. I stumbled upon Darkfall:UW and after reading up on it am quite intrigued.

Out of all the games I have played my favorites tend to be the sandbox style, with detailed gathering/harvesting systems, simple crafting, plenty of PvE, and risk involved. Titles that fit this mold for me were old school Ultima Online, and most recently Vanguard.

I loved VG because the harvesting could be a profession in its own and the world was HUGE!!! UO was great because one was always looking over their shoulder.

Im not one to rely on PvP though, so my concern is that the game will require to be reliant on that much of the time. Im good with scrapping it up from time to time but dont want to have it be an every second thing.

I love exploration and not knowing whats over the nexr rise or around the corner, and based on some things Ive read the Darkfall world seems it will be pretty darn huge. This is what makes VG #1 on my list of faves.

For those that have played the two games I spoke of, is Darkfall:UW worth checking out?

there's a lot you'd like about the game, based on what you are saying, but...... you're gonna be PVP'ed A LOT.  during the launch rush you can probably expect to be PVP'ed pretty much everytime you go out to do PVE.  

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

Game has many qualities in common with Vg minus the hacks that were present in VG.

Crafting is over hauled in this update so we  will see. Combat is over hauled as well so we will see if there  remains enough utility to kkeep combat fun.

• teratyateratya Member UncommonPosts: 347

Originally posted by corpusc

Originally posted by teratya I am an MMO vet who has been looking for a new game for a while but have yet to find a game that meets my desires for a while lately. I stumbled upon Darkfall:UW and after reading up on it am quite intrigued. Out of all the games I have played my favorites tend to be the sandbox style, with detailed gathering/harvesting systems, simple crafting, plenty of PvE, and risk involved. Titles that fit this mold for me were old school Ultima Online, and most recently Vanguard. I loved VG because the harvesting could be a profession in its own and the world was HUGE!!! UO was great because one was always looking over their shoulder. Im not one to rely on PvP though, so my concern is that the game will require to be reliant on that much of the time. Im good with scrapping it up from time to time but dont want to have it be an every second thing. I love exploration and not knowing whats over the nexr rise or around the corner, and based on some things Ive read the Darkfall world seems it will be pretty darn huge. This is what makes VG #1 on my list of faves. For those that have played the two games I spoke of, is Darkfall:UW worth checking out?
      there's a lot you'd like about the game, based on what you are saying, but...... you're gonna be PVP'ed A LOT.  during the launch rush you can probably expect to be PVP'ed pretty much everytime you go out to do PVE.  

Im good with learning to PvP in Darkfall as I was on board in UO, but thats really the last time I focused on it as part of my gameplay. So my concern is will the game be tailored to both PvP experts and noobs?

John - "Looks like your going to have to close it yourself, SHITTY!!!!"

• naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    So my concern is will the game be tailored to both PvP experts and noobs?

yes

• KaminaxiusKaminaxius Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by corpusc

Originally posted by teratya I am an MMO vet who has been looking for a new game for a while but have yet to find a game that meets my desires for a while lately. I stumbled upon Darkfall:UW and after reading up on it am quite intrigued. Out of all the games I have played my favorites tend to be the sandbox style, with detailed gathering/harvesting systems, simple crafting, plenty of PvE, and risk involved. Titles that fit this mold for me were old school Ultima Online, and most recently Vanguard. I loved VG because the harvesting could be a profession in its own and the world was HUGE!!! UO was great because one was always looking over their shoulder. Im not one to rely on PvP though, so my concern is that the game will require to be reliant on that much of the time. Im good with scrapping it up from time to time but dont want to have it be an every second thing. I love exploration and not knowing whats over the nexr rise or around the corner, and based on some things Ive read the Darkfall world seems it will be pretty darn huge. This is what makes VG #1 on my list of faves. For those that have played the two games I spoke of, is Darkfall:UW worth checking out?

Im good with learning to PvP in Darkfall as I was on board in UO, but thats really the last time I focused on it as part of my gameplay. So my concern is will the game be tailored to both PvP experts and noobs?

Yes it is, Obviously not everyone who plays the game are PVP-Gods. However if you don't feel like the strongest PVP'er i would STRONGLY reccomend you finding a clan otherwise you're gonna have a very hard time.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Im going to wait a week or 2. On the fence on this one, and think ill just wait. I love sandboxes, dont mind pvp, but i expect a lot from my sandboxes and just want to see reviews, video, and maybe a trial.
  • NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67

Hello teratya, ignore some of the posts that you had just read in reply to yours, as they're mostly made up of false information. Darkfall Unholy Wars will have safe zones, these are around starter cities and the close by monster spawns; goblin spawns and such. You could craft in the cities without being attacked, and even hunt some of the low level monsters without ever PvPing.

It is likely though that you'll want to venture out for the better stuff, and with that comes some risk. But you will know where you can and cannot be attacked. So the choice is up to you.