Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If i decide to come back, could i play it again, just like i did back in 2003?

DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I've been thinking about coming back to FFXI again, the mmo's these days are way to ez and solable. Kinda on the fence about FFIV ARR/ TSW / and FFXI atm. I was wondering if i decided to come back to ffxi and re roll a new character, would it be posible to level and play like i did when the game first lauched? I've been having an erge to be a pld lately or maybe a bard hmm. If i did come back i would want to ignore abbysea till im like at end game, maybe then.

TBO i did play ffxi during the initial realeses of the 3 abbysea expantion pacts. And guss what, i never did abbysea once. I atually just fished full time for like over a year. That's all i really did...

Well this time if i come back im gona attemp to level and do everything, but stay Far, Far, Far, away from fishing, i had enough time with that to last  a lifetime heh.

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i went back and just mess around pretty much by myself.I made a new player and have fun doing it.I levelled very fast and solo most of it until i got around 60-65.

Yes you can ignore Abyssea the book burns [wow copy idea typical of dailies]give decent xp just to level.I have not played in a couple weeks ,been playing otehr games,but i think my BST is around 85 and i have not touched Abyssea.I actually detest everytrhing abotu Abyssea,the design is just garbage.

To play exactly like you did in 2003,no not really.You could if you got 5 others to join you or perhaps even 4 others to form a static group and do it that way.IMO i love group play but the old way was a little too slow and grindy.

Since the old way was camping,you can still use the book burns and setup camp.There are people in alliances doing this all the time but you don't have to.You can get a few players and decide on the difficulty level for book burns.

I find the book burn areas that are inside are pretty much crowded with mobs because the design was based on alliance group play.My point is to not go after [incredibly tough] mobs but instead pick something around D/c or maybe EM.

GOV=Grounds of valor [inside play] best option imo,more mobs to go after and better xp.

FOV=fields of Valor [outside play] lower xp ,not as crowded.

I am on Ausra if you want someone to hang out with.I have actually been able to solo levels using the book burns,just need to pick the best options.If you play a BArd you definitely will need some help.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Simple answer is no. I'm guessing you already knew that though from the many other threads asking the same thing.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I'd start over right now from scratch if the game was like it was at launch and do everything over because the game was fun and gave you a huge sense of accomplishment as well as the difficulty level was top notch.  No other game is like it, not even the very game we are talking about.  Its changed for what the casual gamers want, fast leveling, and everything handed to them.   
  • DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

You can still feel accomplished in todays FFXI. Don't listen to the people that whine and carry on about abyssea, it saved the game, period (these are the same people that stood in Whitegate and complained how there was nothing to do and the game was dying 3 years ago).  They are all just mad now because they are not a special snowflake with their level 75 gear. Abyssea is nothing more than a stepping stone to better  and harder content and anyone who stays away from it will never get to do higher tier stuff for lack of gear. 

Look at abyssea for what it is. A way to get merits easy and a way to gear your character with some pretty sweet Emperian armor.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

No. It will NOT be like 2003. I recent returned to this game back in decemeber from a hiatus since 2007, and this game is completely different. There are only 3 places people level before 75, and it's all in afk level sync parties that are probably the most boring thing I have seen in FFXI. It has been simplified way behind the difficulty this game used to be. You can solo monsters and gain several levels a day now. I played for about 3 weeks and had 3 jobs 50+ playing 1 or 2 hours a day.

This is not the FFXI I remember, and I did not enjoy it. It's pretty bad now.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

No. It will NOT be like 2003. I recent returned to this game back in decemeber from a hiatus since 2007, and this game is completely different. There are only 3 places people level before 75, and it's all in afk level sync parties that are probably the most boring thing I have seen in FFXI. It has been simplified way behind the difficulty this game used to be. You can solo monsters and gain several levels a day now. I played for about 3 weeks and had 3 jobs 50+ playing 1 or 2 hours a day.

This is not the FFXI I remember, and I did not enjoy it. It's pretty bad now.

While I do agree that leveling is different than it used to be, it only consists of about 10% of the game content. If you are going to come back to enjoy lveling and nothing else, don't bother.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • RagnaBahamutRagnaBahamut Member UncommonPosts: 11
    you can solo all mission, solo Dynamis farm, Magian of Trial 
  • Rhaegar707Rhaegar707 Member Posts: 3

All these advocates of Abyssea method of progression and the "new" ffxi are seriously pathetic and have no understanding of why it actually ruined the game, and probably either didn't play or didn't appreciate why the game was amazing.

When you introduce a bogus system of quick progression and easy drops, you destroy the structure and pace of the game by making all the amazing zones and old level camps irrelevant and obsolete. Half the game was the partying and leveling aspect,  the forming of groups for missions and the sense of community and teamwork from making all this happen.

also the auction house is ruined from making all this irrelevant, which again destroys the structure of the game. low level/new players can no longer progress properly due to the auction being dry or having unrealistic prices on things. Blows my mind that none of that is being acknowledged. Endgame is probably alright, but it's reckless and ruins the game as an mmo, and especially as one of the greatest mmo's of all time, as it once was.

hypothetically It's like playing on an private server where the host has lost perspective on the tempo of the game and has everything blown out of proportion with exp/drop rates. It feels bad, everything feels cheap and has no worth. What's the point? RIP  Classic FFXI