Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fact that this forum is "hating this game" is a good sign

Every game that comes out; has generally an outstanding and super hyped anticipation from the patrons of these forums.

Each and every time; ive been sucked in by everyone elses flag waving cheerleaders; and every time; these games end up garbage.

My new indicator of a possibly great upcoming game; is if "you" the collective community hate on it.. ill probably end up liking it. 

G.E.Schaefer
Played: EQ1. EQ2. FFXI. SWG. Aion. WAR. LOTRO. TabulaRasa. Hellgate London. Diablo 1. Diablo II. Diablo 3. STO. WOW. Vanguard. Guild Wars. Rift. Terra. The Secret World. EVE. Guild Wars 2. Firefall. Neverwinter.

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

Every game that comes out; has generally an outstanding and super hyped anticipation from the patrons of these forums.

Each and every time; ive been sucked in by everyone elses flag waving cheerleaders; and every time; these games end up garbage.

My new indicator of a possibly great upcoming game; is if "you" the collective community hate on it.. ill probably end up liking it. 

Considering it will just be another cookie-cutter mmo with limitations out the rear end........... seems like it will just be another good IP destroyed and will bomb in 3 months. They keep making the same game over and over with new graphics and names for items. In the end, its the exact same game as the last 301 themeparks released this past few years.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    I wish it the best but don't think it will live up to the name.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367

If you liked DAoC, you probably want to follow TESO.  

Opinion here is often overexaggerated, for good or ill.

But definitely check the details to see if it meshes with your interests.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Time will tell... it is just a matter of putting the themepark core in a shiny wrapper, like GW2 did. When that happens most people here will fall for hype and love it. Atleast for a while.
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

It's a false indicator. Every game is hated here by someone. No exceptions.

^this 

Currently Darkfall is on the hype wagon, next month it be hated again and is a other game being put forward as the second comming of gaming.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Onomas

Considering it will just be another cookie-cutter mmo with limitations out the rear end........... seems like it will just be another good IP destroyed and will bomb in 3 months. They keep making the same game over and over with new graphics and names for items. In the end, its the exact same game as the last 301 themeparks released this past few years.

You guys are so predictable. As soon as a themepark game is mentioned, the cynical hive-mind forms up to post the same boring rhetoric over and over and over. I swear I could make a posting bot that would pretty much cover these type of posts.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by ezpz77

You guys are so predictable. As soon as a themepark game is mentioned, the cynical hive-mind forms up to post the same boring rhetoric over and over and over. I swear I could make a posting bot that would pretty much cover these type of posts.

Way too early to be hyped about this game, especially with what they've shown us. Look for interviews/videos man, see for yourself and decide. Dont let us influence that decision, just inform you on our views of it. thumbs up.

EDIT: yay im autoquoting. not in response to either of you, sorry.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Seems like business as usual here.One segment of the community gets it's hate on for the game another get's it's hype on.No indicator one way or another just same old same old.
  • isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162

I agree pre-hype launch anywhere means nothing. All I know is I feel like everything is water downed, there are to many cooks in the kitchen. You try to please everybody and nobody is pleased.

Look at GW2 such details and great citys, but there are ports in every city and you can just port to another city. Where is the sense of exploring I remember taking a month or two before I even stumbled on another city in early games. This  would suggest they tried to please the old school people and the new generation. So what happens they have to put new patches in on a monthly basis, or everybody is gone.

Is anybody happy, do you think any of these companys are happy with their numbers(other then Wow)? And half them at this point are gold sellers. 

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    gotta wait until next year when the real hype/hate will kick in
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    If you let bitching or hype determine if a game is fun for you, you are just a sheep.
  • minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    It's quite refreshing to see the community being critical pre-launch for once instead of hyping yet another generic themepark as omg teh best game evar. Perhaps the time has finally come when MMO players (or, well, at least the posters on this forum) are beginning to grow tired of the same reskinned game being released every year.

Besides, hype leads to unreasonable expectations - now there's still a chance that it ends up being good and we'll be positively surprised. :)
  • ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

actually,the truth is even funnier than that, it isnt the haters or the lovers,lol,it's how many check it out for themselves,form their own opinions etc., and, if enough like it,the game succeeds,simple as that. Now I am not interested in the elder scrools mmo one way or the other,so I wish them well,just beware of extremes,from wither side, check it out for yourself

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Thats because the newer games are so predictable. I mean how many great IP's have been destroyed by crap work and rushed mmo's? SWTOR for example, people like you defended it so badly, but it took a little while for it to sink in.

Many of us are tired of these piss poor mmorpg's the game companies have been releasing. Single player console style rpg's with so many limits and no features.

But already from all information combined on the game, it will be another wow clone cookie cutter. Your hyped about future failure? I want more out of my mmorpg's, glad you are happy with limits and linear gameplay. This game sounds no different than the last 200 themeparks released.

Hope im wrong, but by the sounds of it.............

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

+1 OP.

Back in my console day (15 yrs ago), I would walk into games stop and ask the guy at the counter "Is this game any good?" if he said "No it sucks." I would be more inclined to buy. 

"Horse Breeder" was on of the best console games ever. Breed you horses then race them?! gg. Guy at the counter said it sucked lol.

60% of mmorpg reminds me of the guy behind the counter.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Thats because the newer games are so predictable. I mean how many great IP's have been destroyed by crap work and rushed mmo's? SWTOR for example, people like you defended it so badly, but it took a little while for it to sink in.

Many of us are tired of these piss poor mmorpg's the game companies have been releasing. Single player console style rpg's with so many limits and no features.

But already from all information combined on the game, it will be another wow clone cookie cutter. Your hyped about future failure? I want more out of my mmorpg's, glad you are happy with limits and linear gameplay. This game sounds no different than the last 200 themeparks released.

You have either A) not read anything about the game or B) are spouting nonesense

How is it a wow clone when the char progression is completely different, the combat mechanics are completely different, the itemization is completely different, the pvp is completely different etc etc?

The only similarity is that it shares the same genre

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    If that is your litmus test, then you must think every game listed on this site is doing stellar.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Each and every time, "hype" is coming from entirely different people.  But the gamers who catch the tail end of the hype cycle point fingers at the company.

Over the last year or so, I've come to the conclusion that the "haters" are drawn "mostly" from "fans" who got "duped" by the previous game in the hype-crash cycle.  They've got the most recent bitterness.  New alt, zing, ready for another round.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• lowendahllowendahl Member Posts: 102

Forum hate now doesn't mean a thing. I'm sure once we get close to launch the devs will say the usual buzzwords... The players will go ''Wow, this game wil be AWSUM!!!'' and then they will congratulate themselves and each other on buying life time subscriptions. Fast forward 6 months and the game will be down to 30% playing...

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

The true test of a game is when it actually launches and people play the game.

I still say I hope this game remains under the hype radar.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Originally posted by deakon

You have either A) not read anything about the game or B) are spouting nonesense

How is it a wow clone when the char progression is completely different, the combat mechanics are completely different, the itemization is completely different, the pvp is completely different etc etc?

Completely different eh? You know this how, from the beta tests, extensive demos at trade shows, etc? Oh, because they said so.  I see. image

I'll believe it when I see it, still thinking it's going to play far to much like previously titles before it.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong, win win for me in that case.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by deakon

Completely different eh? You know this how, from the beta tests, extensive demos at trade shows, etc? Oh, because they said so.  I see. image

I'll believe it when I see it, still thinking it's going to play far to much like previously titles before it.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong, win win for me in that case.  image

Well I'm going by what has been said by sites like this one that have played the game. But the fact that it has been said by those that have played the game that progression is completely different (each skill/waepon/armor type has its own progression path) and its confirmed that there are no restrictions on items

The only thing I'm taking the devs word alone on is that the pvp is open world, 3 faction, siege based with no hard reset.

So at least I do have something to back up what I say unlike those that scream "wow clone"

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I'vehad the opposite experience, I was planning on buying SW:TOR but after the slew of criticism I decided to take more of a wait and see attitude. It saved me some money.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I'm not sure I agree with the OPs premise. I said the same thing about TOR and even created a similar thread. The reviewers were giving the game rave beta impressions and reviews post launch, but these forums were mostly negative prior to release with certain individuals on a mission to troll. Anyway, in the end, I was wrong, the haters won as the game didn't produce the population I expected. It still is going strong and may do better just like AOC did for a while after major improvements were done, but it is still not the millions and millions many predicted.

I am however looking forward to this game regardless of anyones opinions here.

There Is Always Hope!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Every game that comes out; has generally an outstanding and super hyped anticipation from the patrons of these forums.Each and every time; ive been sucked in by everyone elses flag waving cheerleaders; and every time; these games end up garbage.My new indicator of a possibly great upcoming game; is if "you" the collective community hate on it.. ill probably end up liking it. 

so you like/hate games based only on what other people like/hate?

and you felt this deserved a thread of its own?

wow.