Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst MMO you ever played?

Comments

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Worst MMO? 

Worst over-hype = GW2 (still feel like ANET lied to me, I read my PC GAMER in 9th grade and have been 100% sure that this was going to be another world, I've been let down by lots of MMOs but not on the level of this.) However it doesn't constitute as the worst. WHY YOU BREAK MY HEART?

Dullest experience = Cataclysm 

Worst overall - This is such a hard catagory, there is so much CRAP out there, so I'm sticking to the AAA stuff. In which case I have to say Age of Conan, damn did I hate that in multiple ways. Then again, I may not have given it a fair enough chance.

Honest though, I played a lot of REALLY BAD f2p MMOs over the years, stuff from like ijji, nexon, gpotato, and those types of websites. So something there probably takes the cake. 

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Going to have to say Rappelz. People who are chosing games like WoW or Warhammer just have not gamed enough. This bucket of s$%t holds my personal record for quickest uninstal from any computer I have owned.  Still boggles my mind that this p.o.s keeps rolling along year after year when there are quality F2p's and B2P's on the market and games like T.R, SWG and COH close down. The world is wearing the wrong trousers. :)
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    for me it is DCUO. I cant stand that type of arcade-ish click combo combat a close second would be Anarchy Online.. i found it convoluted and confusing not for any depth of gameplay but just it seemed for the sake of being convoluted and confusing
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Everquest.  I stick to the big MMOs to avoid terrible games and I have prettymuch liked them all, except for EQ.  That is the only game that ever made me want to throw my monitor through the wall.  Lost levels, corpse runs, and trains of mobs so high level that they 1-hit you before you have a chance to run?  AAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

It's why the EQ community was the strongest of any game, it creates dependence on others. Penalties means you're more careful and seek help from others.

(multiboxing ruined this somewhat)

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    For me Mythic Saga. Onyl because cooltoplay ran it and the game is the biggest dead end ever. R2games didnt even keep it for thier own gamesite lol. They jsut dumpbed it off to a ton of crappy f2p companys.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• saydursaydur Member UncommonPosts: 185

If we're talking a given period, post Big Bang Maple Story.

It was a reasonably fun game. Yeah, it was a bit light and fluffy, the player base was never sophisticated, it always ended up being a bit grindy and weak on some content. After Big Bang, it just got a lot worse. The grind at least forced level plateaus for parties, it disguised the lack of end-game, and it required that different classes aim at their strengths and weaknesses. It also put together a system where accuracy stats mattered, stat builds at least had two or three options, and the best ways to level usually worked with a group of three or four.

Now, there's self-absorbed super-classes, the player base has become even more despicable, and there's constant cheating, duping, and scamming to a point that the company very obviously gave up on the game for an extended period. For all of the mockery of Maple in the past, it was underestimated for a long time, and now it's a pathetic shell of its former self which trots along solely because it still makes money. Business-wise, I can respect the decisions the company has made. From the viewpoint of a player, it has become so toxic that as much as I want to enjoy it again, I'm old, it's not what it was, and other people have become so toxic that my PUG-fond grind-enjoying social-demanding self ended up wincing when other people were visible outside of towns. It's just what an MMO should never become.

If we mean from the very start, D.O. Online, later known as Martial Heroes. It was a raw Lineage ripoff, the grind had no variety or interest to it, the skills and classes were all too linear, no systems that made things more interesting, and after a certain point, the game was simply untranslated to the level of nothing but bugs. I wound up playing a defensive class with so much defense that nothing my level did more than 1 damage and my grind was limited solely by pathetic DPS. There's a reason it wound up shut down.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Everquest.  I stick to the big MMOs to avoid terrible games and I have prettymuch liked them all, except for EQ.  That is the only game that ever made me want to throw my monitor through the wall.  Lost levels, corpse runs, and trains of mobs so high level that they 1-hit you before you have a chance to run?  AAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

It's why the EQ community was the strongest of any game, it creates dependence on others. Penalties means you're more careful and seek help from others.

I agree if a community is strong even if certian aspect of the game is weak then the game can be fun and not be thought of as one of the worst games you ever played.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Horizons:  The original concept of the game was so amazing, what it turned into after reality set in was the most horrible piece of crap I have ever played.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Oberholzer
    Irth Online.

Lol. Forgot about that one. I agree.

FFIV and Horizons are honorable mentions.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Oh yeah... Cabal Online.  I totally forgot about that steaming pile.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Easily Mortal Online. Im surprised this pile of crap still breathing.

Same here!

Was thinking to nominate GW2 ot SW:ToR, but when I saw MO, it reminded me that I actually bought the game and played it for like 2 days before I turned my back to it...

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    4story is the worst I've seen so far. It's funny because the healer class in that game can turn into a flying crow at a low level. No other class can fly. Other than that, there's a huge amount of server lag, the community is non-responsive, and the classes are cookie cutter style. I was very dissatisfied after playing it.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

I agree if a community is strong even if certian aspect of the game is weak then the game can be fun and not be thought of as one of the worst games you ever played.

WoW and EQ2 also had and have wonderful communities as do most casual oriented games like City of Heroes and Champions Online.  EQ, just like any other game, also had nasty components in their communities.  I remember so well the guild infighting and guilds locking content by spawn camping mobs and place holders 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  I remember the rampant behavior of high level toons that were bored, camping lower level area quest givers and mobs just to ruin things for everyone else.  Kill stealing and camping were terms that originated with EQ.  I remember the goods and the bads of East Commons chat, the precursor to Barrens Chat.

The point is that hardcore mechanics are not the sole ingredients to tight knit communities.  In fact, no game mechanic is.  It's the players themselves who make the choice no matter the type of MMO they might happen to inhabit at the time.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by jedicowboy
    honestly, WORLD OF WARCRAFT.  I just do not like it, i hate it with a passion.

yep same for me, it has to be world of warcraft as well. the only MMO i actually fell asleep at the keyboard while playing. its just so mindnumbingly boring.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

For me, RIft.  I know a lot of people like it, but it didn't click with me.

As to WoW, I can't say I hate it, because I never really played it, beyond DL'ing it (free weekend or equivalent) and playing about 10 minutes.  I couldn't get past the cartoony graphics.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Hmmmm, well worst big name MMO I've played... probably SW:TOR. I only played it in beta, but that was enough for me. I knew it was gonna flop.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Swtor
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

SWTOR

Followed by Darkfall and DCUO

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• hobbitpimphobbitpimp Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I see a good bit of SWTOR's in here but to be honest SWTOR is not the worse mmo i played imo. It is def the biggest let down but it still had some very good elements to it that kept some interest. That being said I 100% understand the hatred toward it. But for me the worse most aweful mmo I ever played????? Vangaurd....Sure it is back now and has a small but loyal following, but when it was launched it was the most bug riddled pc crashing piece of junk ever made.

I miss the massive in MMO.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I don't remember. I stopped playing it. I don't care what it's name is or was. I'd rather focus on the ones I've enjoyed.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    FFXIV release or Warhammer online
  • IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by hobbitpimp
    I see a good bit of SWTOR's in here but to be honest SWTOR is not the worse mmo i played imo. It is def the biggest let down but it still had some very good elements to it that kept some interest. That being said I 100% understand the hatred toward it. But for me the worse most aweful mmo I ever played????? Vangaurd....Sure it is back now and has a small but loyal following, but when it was launched it was the most bug riddled pc crashing piece of junk ever made.

As mention I think SWTOR is one of the worst MMO's I played not the worst by far that title went to 2029. I acualy played SWTOR for a few month and lack of end game as well as other features turn me away from SWTOR and now with its F2P feature I dont think I will be comming back to it any time soon. Very disapointed to say the least for me since am a Star Wars fan since '76 when i was 7 years old standing in a wraped arond line at the theater and could not grasp the effect it would have on me. It just seems that SW as far as MMO's goes to date has not done very well even SWG blew it when Sony did what they did. We all know that story long time ago in a internet far far away.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Close contest between Wurm Online and Mortal Online.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
         I'm not srue I can name jsut one...There were so many I deleted after just a few minutes......
  • Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70

Toss up for some, deceiving two that comes to my mind -

Age of Conan and Guild Wars 2

Ones that I thought were going to be 'ok' -

Lotro, just not my game.. always put me to sleep.

Aion, bots... bots everywhere.