Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last 2 years new MMO's failed to deliver....

At least for me. I remember last MMORPG I bought and spent $ on was DCUO January 2011. Everything after that didn't capture my attention enough for one reason or another. So ironicly WOW: MOP is still my primary MMORPG (for now)

I dunno if I should feel happy that my MMORPG experience helped me with wise decisions or sad that not a single MMORPG failed to deliver enjoyable experience that's different than what I've done in WOW over the last 8 years.

Come on Star Wars Galaxies EMU, come on Ultima Online 2, come on AAA sandboxes, come on non raiding MMORPG's, come OUT already...

I want one MMORPG that I'll be that powerful light jedi or a fearful PK, or a famous crafter, or any awesome role I can have in fully immersive open world, filled with player conflicts, politics, player run quests and economy.

I bet if SOE, EA, FUNCOM, CCP all merged and made 1 mega MMORPG would've been far bigger success and capturing the majority of market, than of all what they delivered over the years.

We are living in an age when half of this, half of that, uncomplited, unpolished, and overall unfinished MMORPG's are not ENOUGH.

You had Origin make a 2d MMORPG back in 1996 with 10 mil budget that is going strong 15 years since...COME ON.

Comments

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    I dont think any big company will ever deliver the kind of game you are wishing for, you have a higher chance wishing for a indie company doing it for you.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    And we have a winner!....oh, this one is exactly like the one posted last yeqr,..and the year after that , and that, and oh....yea.... zzzzzzzz!
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    the title should read "In my opinion the last 2 years failed to deliver any good MMO" the way the title reads right now your saying that everyone will agree with that there hasnt been and good MMO's. I for one love what I have seen be released, and cheered when crappy MMO's were shut down(although I am still waiting on RF Online and Vanguard SOH to be shut down forever). I am also waiting on baited breath for Asheron's Call 2 to relaunch. Asheron's Call 1 was my first MMO and I believe that they released Asheron's Call 2 too early.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

there is one simple reason the mmos in the "good ol' days" have been better.

we played what they gave us.

we weren't like "uuuh i want an mmo where i can play this and that with having those but not these. also i want ..."

that's what we wrote on our "whishlist" for santa, back in the REALY old days.

when we got our first mmo's, we were happy we had em. we didn't dare to question them :)

daoc for example: 

* invisible walls

* instanced pvp (with a 15 mins queue on death)

* totaly unbalanced classes *hi there mr infi plz dont kill meeeeee!*

* it took ages to rest after you spend your mana

* you lost exp on death and lost whole lvls (reaching the higher end) when getting angry at certain mobs again

* bots everywhere! (tho they were buff bots those days, not farmbots hehe)

it wasn't all shiney back then :)

maybe it's just time to enjoy gaming again and stop doing it so fookin serious :)

play games as long they are fun and when they are not, wait until they go f2p and check in again or not ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    The OP is his own worst enemy. You claim all the MMO's fail to deliver because they are the same but then go play WoW: MOP. That is an incredibly bad way to send mixed messages to game developers. By spending money on WoW we are telling the free market to make more WoW clones. If we want change in the MMO industry it is better to play nothing than to play WoW.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Let's hope PlanetSide 2 is a sign of things to come.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    by 2020 the genre will be completely different....yes,  i am a genius.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

There are 3 sandbox MMORPGs incoming:

Age of Wulin

Darkfall: Unholy Waters

Archeage

And every one of them offers what you seek

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Age of Wulin

Archeage

don't forget Embers of Cenarus,  Origins of Malu,  Repopulation,  Everquest Next (maybe),  there are others too.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Thane

there is one simple reason the mmos in the "good ol' days" have been better.

we played what they gave us.

we weren't like "uuuh i want an mmo where i can play this and that with having those but not these. also i want ..."

that's what we wrote on our "whishlist" for santa, back in the REALY old days.

when we got our first mmo's, we were happy we had em. we didn't dare to question them :)

daoc for example: 

* invisible walls

* instanced pvp (with a 15 mins queue on death)

* totaly unbalanced classes *hi there mr infi plz dont kill meeeeee!*

* it took ages to rest after you spend your mana

* you lost exp on death and lost whole lvls (reaching the higher end) when getting angry at certain mobs again

* bots everywhere! (tho they were buff bots those days, not farmbots hehe)

it wasn't all shiney back then :)

maybe it's just time to enjoy gaming again and stop doing it so fookin serious :)

play games as long they are fun and when they are not, wait until they go f2p and check in again or not ^^

• WiSe85WiSe85 Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Novusod
    The OP is his own worst enemy. You claim all the MMO's fail to deliver because they are the same but then go play WoW: MOP. That is an incredibly bad way to send mixed messages to game developers. By spending money on WoW we are telling the free market to make more WoW clones. If we want change in the MMO industry it is better to play nothing than to play WoW.

Wrong, WOW didn't copy Ultima Online or SWG when it came out and they were one of the most popular MMORPG's out then. WOW came out in 2004. MOP is not a totally different game, it's an expansion. It deserves all the success and all the $.

If companies used their own ideas and delivered what WOW doesn't deliver then they would be more successful. The community mostly plays WOW cuz there is nothing else on the market with the same quality and care that Blizzard showed and invested when building WOW.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by WiSe85
    Originally posted by Novusod

Wrong, WOW didn't copy Ultima Online or SWG when it came out and they were one of the most popular MMORPG's out then. WOW came out in 2004. MOP is not a totally different game, it's an expansion. It deserves all the success and all the $.

If companies used their own ideas and delivered what WOW doesn't deliver then they would be more successful. The community mostly plays WOW cuz there is nothing else on the market with the same quality and care that Blizzard showed and invested when building WOW.

I'm not sure I would agree with some of that.  SWG wasn't really doing too well at the time, and UO was sort of a niche game for the real hardcore people still playing it.

EQ1 was still going pretty strong, with something like 250k subs (top dog at that time) and DAoC had the PvP crowd, even if they pissed a lot of people off with ToA.  Anyway, I remember a ton of people in the industry dismissing WoW for it's cartoony graphics, and fully expected EQ2 to take the crown from it's predecessor.

You make me like charity

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Age of Wulin

Archeage

Try about 2 dozen sandboxes ;)

A change is coming, and some of these games are even AAA ;)

But yes the past few years have been a let down, maybe 3 games total that amounted to anything. Games need features and the extras to keep people entertained. Just a good story and quests just dont do it for some people.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Robokapp

while the industry IS shifting towards sandbox, it's for all the wrong reasons.

mass-producing themeparks led to saturation, now they shifted the settings on the MMO-maker and sandboxes are filling the cooker.

mass-producing sandboxes won't lead to good sandboxes. only to many sandboxes.

How did Perpetuum do with its eve cloning? not...so...good.

For the wrong reasons? No i think for the right reasons. Themeparks and the wow clones have destroyed the mmorpg industry and dumbed every game down since WOW success. Keep removing features, keep making things easier, giving things away, giving in to the "i want" crowd, instancing everything, harming grouping and player interaction, turning everything into a console stye single player rpg.

Sandboxes are being mass produced. 2 dozen compared to 400+ themeparks? It will give the industry a wider variety of games, and get the themepark developers back on their toes. They have ruined and dominated the industry far too long and have only released garbage minus a few decent games.

Perpetuim was a crap game, i never got into it. But thats 1 game compared to how many themeparks that suffered far worse outcome and quicker? SWTOR the most epic and themepark of the century, lasted what........ 2 weeks before people dropped by the thousands? Within 3 months it was F2P.

Themeparks are all the same, no variety, no ambition, nothing new, and very linear. Im glad to see the change coming, many just havent caught on yet.

Look at archeage for example....... three times the features than your average themepark, more to do than 5 themeparks combines, inovation with several new features and systems, and a real in depth game not cattered to story or quests.....but to everything and everyone. There is something for everyone in that game, and the longevity will last for years.

Dont see how thats for the wrong reasons. Perhaps people re just sick of the themepark trash not going anywhere.