Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing morrowind and baldurs gate 2 because new games suck

bobm111bobm111 Member Posts: 153

To be honest im having more fun playing these old but very good games mainly because the last few years  the industry is more about money and rushing stuff out rather then games for gamers.

Beyond that free to play which hardly is free is a road gamers dont really want to go down. Im not only having more fun but these old games beat the new by light years unless you talk about flashy graphics and voice offers.

Even thought about returning to Vanguard however the company running it unfortunately has stream lined that taking many starting areas out and making the first 20 levels free to play. Although even thou the company has done everything in its power to screw up this great game it still beats all being run out these days

my 2 cents

bobm111

Comments

• L0stL0st Member Posts: 77
    I hear ya
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I have Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 on disk...but I'm waiting to get the GOG versions (no money right now), since they are tweaked to work on modern systems and have more stuff in them.

Icewind Dale 1 and 2 are on GOG too, and I never played through those.

Also a game I've watched a few Let's Plays of called Darklands on GOG...an oldy, but looks like a lot of fun.

All those are on sale and I can't afford a penny :( but ah well. I asked for some gift cards for christmas, so hopefully I can buy them. Probably won't be as cheap though as they are now. Still, gift cards are like free money :P

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    I think modded Skyrim light years better then both Morrowind and BG2. But thats me
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Baldur's Gate 2 on the iPad is awesome. I may never sit down at my computer again.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Baldur's Gate 2 on the iPad is awesome. I may never sit down at my computer again.

Baldur's gate 2 Enhanced Edition hasn't come out for ipad. 

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by bobm111

To be honest im having more fun playing these old but very good games mainly because the last few years  the industry is more about money and rushing stuff out rather then games for gamers.

Beyond that free to play which hardly is free is a road gamers dont really want to go down. Im not only having more fun but these old games beat the new by light years unless you talk about flashy graphics and voice offers.

Even thought about returning to Vanguard however the company running it unfortunately has stream lined that taking many starting areas out and making the first 20 levels free to play. Although even thou the company has done everything in its power to screw up this great game it still beats all being run out these days

my 2 cents

bobm111

When you finish those exelent games you should try Planscape torment, very good game.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    It is sad when the quality of mmorpgs is so bad that you end up playing 12 year old games out of self defense. hell sometimes I fire up Fable or NWN1.
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

my 2 cents

bobm111

Truth be told I've actually had a couple of weeks now when I've played old games and came to the realization that whilst many ideas behind them are great, they ultimatly suck. Take BG2 for instance, I can't even fucking play that game in my own pace every fucking companion is timed and if you don't help them they'll leave you. Sorry but I want enjoyment out of my games not a fucking headache. Getting to know some of those old games is equivalent to fucking rocket science at times.

Whenever Baldurs Gate comes up I always hear challenge but all I see are a bunch of fucking dice rolls going to hell, that's tedious not challenging.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Nevulus

You should look more carefully because it is.

I'm feeling you OP, even tho I'm still enjoying GW2 and don't intend to stop, Baldur's Gate 2 is such an awesome game and wayyyy better then today's games. I've always preferred the old games since they were so great in so many ways. The past 10 years have been filled with crappy games in every single genre. It's becoming more and more hard to get a single decent title, at least for me and especially in MMO. Back when games were good, we had a bunch of decent/pretty good games every years. Now, I find it hard to find a single decent title each year. It took me years to really play a new MMO since everything was so bad. So I was replaying some old games such as Baldur's Gate, NWN, the Elder's Scroll games when I wasn't playing an RTS or FPS. God I miss those days...

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Sideras

my 2 cents

bobm111

Truth be told I've actually had a couple of weeks now when I've played old games and came to the realization that whilst many ideas behind them are great, they ultimatly suck. Take BG2 for instance, I can't even fucking play that game in my own pace every fucking companion is timed and if you don't help them they'll leave you. Sorry but I want enjoyment out of my games not a fucking headache. Getting to know some of those old games is equivalent to fucking rocket science at times.

Whenever Baldurs Gate comes up I always hear challenge but all I see are a bunch of fucking dice rolls going to hell, that's tedious not challenging.

When you think about it, most MMO's are working the same way lol. A roll dice like that will say how much dmg you will do, if you crit or not, if the other guy will dodge/block or not etc. It's just not shown and working exactly like D&D style but you get the idea. That's what was fun about those games, they were challenging, you had to be careful, plan your strategy carefully with all your characters, position properly everyone etc. It wasn't a game made to pickup, have fun and leave it.

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by SirFubar
    Originally posted by Nevulus

You should look more carefully because it is.

I'm feeling you OP, even tho I'm still enjoying GW2 and don't intend to stop, Baldur's Gate 2 is such an awesome game and wayyyy better then today's games. I've always preferred the old games since they were so great in so many ways. The past 10 years have been filled with crappy games in every single genre. It's becoming more and more hard to get a single decent title, at least for me and especially in MMO. Back when games were good, we had a bunch of decent/pretty good games every years. Now, I find it hard to find a single decent title each year. It took me years to really play a new MMO since everything was so bad. So I was replaying some old games such as Baldur's Gate, NWN, the Elder's Scroll games when I wasn't playing an RTS or FPS. God I miss those days...

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition is available for ipad as well as PC.

Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced Edition doesn't even exist. 

Have we confused the two?