Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Which of these MMO would you choose to play if remade with updated graphics?

maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

The question assumes that both mmos would have the  same features, only the graphics would be updated (3d modern graphics/animations).

These 2 mmos in the poll are the paradigms of the sandbox (UO) and themepark (WoW) formulas in mmos.

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

For me that answer is easy, UO.

I don't have any issue with WoW's graphics.  It's the direction they've taken with gameplay that has me feeling alienated.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    this poll is invalid neither of those 2 interest me in the least. 
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

I honestly don't see any problems with WoW's graphics, they've aged quite well and the new Pandaria zones look amazing IMO.

However, I'd definitely like to see a lot of UO mechanics put into a modern MMO. 

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

UO all the way over wow.

but i would rather play Asherons Call with updated graphics over all other games.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by XAPGames

For me that answer is easy, UO.

I don't have any issue with WoW's graphics.  It's the direction they've taken with gameplay that has me feeling alienated.

what he said.

i have to say i havnt played UO or DaoC i was on the PvE side of the fence. but from what i know the game is great. if it would be updated to a modern day mmo that would make me very happy.

Wow grapichs are fine the cartoonie look has no problems. its indeed what XAP says the direction the game went ruined it for me.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I'd choose current WOW graphics over updated UO.  UO has serious design issues if you hate griefers.
  • StarskinsStarskins Member UncommonPosts: 24

UO in a heart beat.  I've never had all the feelings this game gave me with any other MMOs and I played most.

Corp Por.

Nuff said.

• StarskinsStarskins Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    I'd choose current WOW graphics over updated UO.  UO has serious design issues if you hate griefers.

Griefers.  It was part of UO.  

The design was perfect.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

UO all the way over wow.

but i would rather play Asherons Call with updated graphics over all other games.

I was expecting AC to be in the poll also....WoW has way better graphics than that....I thought we'd see games like DAoC, AC, AO, EQ, and some of the pre WoW games on the list.

• leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97
    EverQuest classic + Kunark
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

I honestly don't see any problems with WoW's graphics, they've aged quite well and the new Pandaria zones look amazing IMO.

However, I'd definitely like to see a lot of UO mechanics put into a modern MMO. 

I used to think WoW looked great... coming from Runescape.

But then I played other games and WoW is painful to look at right now, I could never go back to it even if I liked the gameplay.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

UO, but with a different team working on the client than they've had in the past. Preferrably the guys that have been creating the Iris client.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359
    City of heroes
  • PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    Lineage 1 with modern graphics = Lineage Eternal. it is everything I wanted, if Eternal is as good as L1, I'll stay in LE for the next 10 years or more.
  • TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by leroysg

This and I could even do a couple more xpansions.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Tjed

Yeah, could add Velious to that at least. Maybe Luclin...but for sure PoP, modified so you don't have PoK to travel everywhere in the world with no problem. Biggest complaint I remember about PoP was the shrinking of the world because of that. Maybe that plus the item creep and the crazy hitting mobs at first. Liked the concept of PoP, but maybe could have been executed a bit differently.

Now...Luclin with the VT shards and Emperor keys? >.<

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

Originally posted by Trudge34

Yeah, could add Velious to that at least. Maybe Luclin...but for sure PoP, modified so you don't have PoK to travel everywhere in the world with no problem. Biggest complaint I remember about PoP was the shrinking of the world because of that. Maybe that plus the item creep and the crazy hitting mobs at first. Liked the concept of PoP, but maybe could have been executed a bit differently.

I pretty much agree, but we are in the minority.  If there were a reboot of EQ, up to POP with updated graphics, I would drop my current game in a heartbeat and be pretty happy. 

I would rather have EC tunnel than the bazzar, and I would rather not have books for fast travel, but if it's even close to that in a new release game, I'm in.  In fact, right now I feel like I'm waving my money in the air begging for someone to earn it.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Aaaaaand the prize for the shitiest poll on MMORPG.com 2012 goes toooo.......

Seriously, if you are going to have a poll, at least make it more than just two choices.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

WoW is going to need more than just graphics updates to get people to want to play it again.

The gameplay has just drifted so far from what it used to be ~ 2009 and before.  Back in those days, having event decent gear was a milestone.  Questing was challenging.  Dungeons were huge and more open-ended / explorable.  What a great game it used to be.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36

Of course UO!

Now if I had to choose between UO and DAoC... that would be a little tougher choice.

Anyone picking WoW over UO, hasn't played UO.

I pretty much agree, but we are in the minority.  If there were a reboot of EQ, up to POP with updated graphics, I would drop my current game in a heartbeat and be pretty happy. 

I would rather have EC tunnel than the bazzar, and I would rather not have books for fast travel, but if it's even close to that in a new release game, I'm in.  In fact, right now I feel like I'm waving my money in the air begging for someone to earn it.

I have a love hate with EC tunnel. On one hand it was awesome bartering with everyone, walking from torch to torch seeing what everyone was selling. On the other hand, it was nice to be able to seach what you were looking for and buy it without much time lost in the Bazaar. There was still some negotiating and bartering with the original Bazaar, but not as much. Would like maybe a combo of the two. Tradeskilled food and non armor items could be put on a vendor or searchable somewhere while rarer items could still follow the old way of the EC tunnel.

I think the original EQ plus some of the advancements they made with player housing and crafting, with some Vanguard systems like diplomacy and ship / house building, maybe giving the players the tools to cross the oceans and seas using their own made boats while the people more dedicated could offer rides as a service like the Druid / Wiz porting pre PoP...getting ahead of myself here, but original EQ with some of the updated systems, without the instancing and auto porting to dungeons and queues and world shrinking "tools" put into place, is what I'm hoping EQN will be like. Sounds like it's well on it's way to being that.

Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Wierd poll.  I was expecting a bunch of early games like UO, EQ, AC, DAOC, AO, and Shadowbane.  Didn't expect to see UO vs WoW.

Should have been some more options in there, but I easily picked UO of the two given.  I had fun with my animal handler in UO.  I never really got into EQ, but I loved DAOC.  It's graphics aren't really that bad for such an old game.  It just needs a rehaul on the UI and some animation tweaks.  I don't think many of these old games would thrive today though.  The community was smaller then and people actively talked and quested together.  Now, it's all about solo content.  

I have a love hate with EC tunnel. On one hand it was awesome bartering with everyone, walking from torch to torch seeing what everyone was selling. On the other hand, it was nice to be able to seach what you were looking for and buy it without much time lost in the Bazaar. There was still some negotiating and bartering with the original Bazaar, but not as much. Would like maybe a combo of the two. Tradeskilled food and non armor items could be put on a vendor or searchable somewhere while rarer items could still follow the old way of the EC tunnel.

I think the original EQ plus some of the advancements they made with player housing and crafting, with some Vanguard systems like diplomacy and ship / house building, maybe giving the players the tools to cross the oceans and seas using their own made boats while the people more dedicated could offer rides as a service like the Druid / Wiz porting pre PoP...getting ahead of myself here, but original EQ with some of the updated systems, without the instancing and auto porting to dungeons and queues and world shrinking "tools" put into place, is what I'm hoping EQN will be like. Sounds like it's well on it's way to being that.

Nothing to add.  We are in complete agreement.  I hope we get our new game eventually! 

Nothing to add.  We are in complete agreement.  I hope we get our new game eventually! 

I hope so too! Cheers!image

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    My intention with this poll wasn't ask about the mmos themselves, but about the sandbox and themepark formulas, using the better and purest examples of each.