Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all those who play F2P with no intention of paying.

Comments

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by furidiam

Originally posted by Zyzra

Originally posted by Gruug I won't pay a sub nor will I pay for items in the item shop if the game says it is FREE to play. Why, because I am not going to pay for those freeloaders to play on my dime. If they want to play a game....PAY FOR IT YOURSELF!  
    It's you.

You're the freeloader.

No he is not a free loader......do not market your game as free if you do not want people to play it for FREE lol

Well by his definition he is.  He said he won't pay sub or for items.  Then he said he won't pay anything so people who play free can play thanks to his money.  So naturally since he pays nothing, he's playing on some other paying customers dime = he's a freeloader.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Talgen
    Originally posted by Fluxii

It's generation DUH's new mentality.

We want it NOW!

We want it NOW and EASY!

We want it NOW and EASY and FREE!

It's an entitlement progression that just keeps getting worse.  Occupy Wallstreet anyone?

This.

I don't see a problem with it...

as I don't see people complaining about broadband internet speed and it's cheaper than it was for 56k modem access.. I aswell don't see anyone complaining about better building materials or engineering methods which provide better, safer and more reliable product at better prices each new day...

If people get something better for the same price they don't want to pay the same amount of money for something that has lesser value to them, some won't even pay anything if they consider it's not worth the money... Every branch of human activity has this side effect and it's something that people who want to sell something need to cope with, if they can't... well, then they don't even deserve the money in first place.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• bamdorfbamdorf Member UncommonPosts: 150

We want it NOW!

We want it NOW and EASY!

It's an entitlement progression that just keeps getting worse.  Occupy Wallstreet anyone?

Entitlement literally means you deserve.   If I work 40 hrs a week and get a paycheck, that paycheck is something I am entitled to.   If I pay into Soc Sec for 45 years, it isn't a freebie, I am entitled to it.

What you are describing is a NONentitlement progression.

Otherwise, I don't disagree.

---------------------------
    Rose-lipped maidens,
    Light-foot lads...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

How can you be called a freeloader when you are playing a game that is called FREE TO PLAY?!

For **** sake they are using it to get more people to play and then those same people will be called freeloaders? This thread does not make sense on so many levels but I will stop here before my head explodes.

Originally posted by Yamota

How can you be called a freeloader when you are playing a game that is called FREE TO PLAY?!

For **** sake they are using it to get more people to play and then those same people will be called freeloaders? This thread does not make sense on so many levels but I will stop here before my head explodes.

I wouldn't call random people freeloaders.  I was just pointing out that that one person called himself one, probably without realizing it.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Gruug

I won't pay a sub nor will I pay for items in the item shop if the game says it is FREE to play. Why, because I am not going to pay for those freeloaders to play on my dime. If they want to play a game....PAY FOR IT YOURSELF!

It's you.

You're the freeloader.

+1 was just going to say that, you have now become the free loader, 

i dont see why what other people do with there money is of any concern. play the game as long as you have fun, if you want to buy some cash shop things do it, if not dont, but have fun doing it the way you like

Originally posted by st4t1ck
    Originally posted by Gruug

I won't pay a sub nor will I pay for items in the item shop if the game says it is FREE to play. Why, because I am not going to pay for those freeloaders to play on my dime. If they want to play a game....PAY FOR IT YOURSELF!

It's you.

You're the freeloader.

+1 was just going to say that, you have now become the free loader, 

i dont see why what other people do with there money is of any concern. play the game as long as you have fun, if you want to buy some cash shop things do it, if not dont, but have fun doing it the way you like

Exactly.  If you want something in the cash shop, buy it.  If not, don't.

But basing whether you purchase something on a perception of people who aren't buying things as being freeloaders is really crazy.  It's like saying "I don't want to pay anything to help these free players be able to play for free."  Without realizing that if everyone did the same thing you are saying the game would shut down and then nobody could play.

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I agree completely with the OP.  A large percentage of the FTP population is able to enjoy the game due to the efforts (payments) of a smaller percentage of the population.  I say this because the game would die if no one bought anything from the cash shop.  It kind of sounds like many countries today.  An entitled crowd living off the sweat and taxes of others.  I prefer subscription models especially in PvP games.  It's easier to have a level playing field and bots and hackers are easier for the company to deal with. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Talgen

We want it NOW!

We want it NOW and EASY!

This.

And?

Of course i want it NOW. If you want to play a game, you want to wait 2 hours before you can do it?

• dreadlordnafdreadlordnaf Member UncommonPosts: 88

Are you really that naive?  Why would any game company in the world give a rats ass how many players play their game if none of them are paying?  You act like if they call their game F2p then they have to adhere to that 100%, as if you are entitled to have a bunch of hard working devs spend hours creating a game for you to enjoy for free. 

I wouldn't call random people freeloaders.  I was just pointing out that that one person called himself one, probably without realizing it.

What is the big deal. Freeloaders .. or free rider is just a term.

When i play PS2 .. i pay NOTHING. i am sure some do pay. And the game depends on these other people to make a profit. So i am free loading in PS2. So?

Everyone who is not paying is free riding on the paying ones ... pretty clear to me. That is the definition, right?

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by bamdorf

We want it NOW!

We want it NOW and EASY!

Entitlement literally means you deserve.   If I work 40 hrs a week and get a paycheck, that paycheck is something I am entitled to.   If I pay into Soc Sec for 45 years, it isn't a freebie, I am entitled to it.

What you are describing is a NONentitlement progression.

Otherwise, I don't disagree.

Off-topic, that's a pet peeve of mine. The word has had its meaning twisted in general useage in recent years from "a legal or moral right, or just claim," to "the false or delusional belief that one has such a right."

And I remember people talking disapprovingly about "the 'me' generation" back in the 1980s. That is, nearly a generation ago.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

People who play free are built into the business model.

They make the game world more lively by increasing population.  (an empty game is a dead game)

They often bring in other players, which reduces advertising costs and increases revenue because people they bring in might pay.

They provide fresh meat for PVP.  (in a game with all whales in top-shelf gear, the whales wouldn't have an advantage)

They might end up spending money.

Dev / publishers don't give out free access because they want to lose money on them.  They give out free access because they want to use the player as a way to make money.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

What is the big deal. Freeloaders .. or free rider is just a term.

When i play PS2 .. i pay NOTHING. i am sure some do pay. And the game depends on these other people to make a profit. So i am free loading in PS2. So?

Everyone who is not paying is free riding on the paying ones ... pretty clear to me. That is the definition, right?

Yeah it is just a term.  Kinda like how fool, idiot, lowlife, bum, and slut are just terms.  I wouldn't call random people those either.

I find the terms "Free Player" or "Non-Paying Member" work better than "freeloader", generally.

Nothing wrong with playing a game for free when it encourages it.  The guy who did have a problem with it and called those freeloaders and then admitted to being the same way was what brought it up after all.

I don't mind if he plays forever without paying anything.  He seems to have a problem with people like himself though.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

That is some backward logic! What has created all these Pay 2 Win games is because devs have realised that some people will pay, and some pay alot, to get an advantage over others.

What you are saying makes no sense. Is it irony?

This is it exactly......Some gamers have the "I must win" mentality and will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal...... Some of us don't care whether we win or not (its a video game hello) and dont feel we need to pay money to the cash shop to enjoy the game.....If they give us a free option, then some of us are going to take advantage of it....IF we like the game enough then we will donate but we certainly don't have to which is nice.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Why can't they open up 2 servers one being F2P with cash shop and restrictions and another that is PTP.
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Why can't they open up 2 servers one being F2P with cash shop and restrictions and another that is PTP.

This indie company with a tiny game tried that once.

And by indie I mean Sony Online Entertainment, and by tiny game I mean Everquest 2.

It was so horrible they changed it.

Seperate but equal doesn't work with payment models and seperate servers either, it seems.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by XAPGames

People who play free are built into the business model.

They make the game world more lively by increasing population.  (an empty game is a dead game)

They often bring in other players, which reduces advertising costs and increases revenue because people they bring in might pay.

They provide fresh meat for PVP.  (in a game with all whales in top-shelf gear, the whales wouldn't have an advantage)

They might end up spending money.

Dev / publishers don't give out free access because they want to lose money on them.  They give out free access because they want to use the player as a way to make money.

Agreed. I don't know how there are so many people talking about online gaming who can't understand this concept.

The people running the game want free players. There is no company anywhere that celebrates when "freeloaders" leave their game.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Ohh to live in your world, the wonderful world where development companies and publishers put out games for free for your soul enjoyment!

They are called free to play, with the INTENTION that you pay for some of the things on the item shop, so they can keep themselves in a job.

Otherwise you make them no money, to them you are the portion of their playerbase that they don't give a crap about.

aka, freeloaders.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

Ohh to live in your world, the wonderful world where development companies and publishers put out games for free for your soul enjoyment!

They are called free to play, with the INTENTION that you pay for some of the things on the item shop, so they can keep themselves in a job.

Otherwise you make them no money, to them you are the portion of their playerbase that they don't give a crap about.

aka, freeloaders.

See the comments above. They care about them just as much tbh. In fact most poeple start out being a freeloader before commiting money. Doubt anyone will be dumb enough to actually pay first and then play to see if they like it. I usually end up paying for a subscription if they have that. Never buy from stores though. 

I don't mind if he plays forever without paying anything.  He seems to have a problem with people like himself though.

which is weird. Because if the owner of the game .. the dev .. does not mind there are free players .. who is he to disagree?

Originally posted by nariusseldon

which is weird. Because if the owner of the game .. the dev .. does not mind there are free players .. who is he to disagree?

Right.  I mean he should be happy - more people to group up with and battle monsters together with, whether they spend money or not haha.

It's fun to play, either way!

Originally posted by Coman

See the comments above. They care about them just as much tbh. In fact most poeple start out being a freeloader before commiting money. Doubt anyone will be dumb enough to actually pay first and then play to see if they like it. I usually end up paying for a subscription if they have that. Never buy from stores though. 

In fact, there are two reasons. First is what you pointed out. Every paying customer started off as free. More free players, more chance to convert them.

Secondly, the free players are content for the paying customers.

Does anyone actually see a dev dissing free players and dont' want them? Of course not.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

And therein lies the scam (or insert any other deceitful term you care to here), which few seem to realize. There's a difference in playing some of the game for free and playing all of the game for free. But all they have to do is slap a "Free to Play" tag on anything they want and gamers go right along with the scam. Months down the road little Johnny spent $500 on a "free" game and didn't even know he got jobbed.

I'll hand it to the suits though, it's a great scam, works perfectly. STO is the real success story, lots of whales in that game.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Zekiah

And therein lies the scam (or insert any other deceitful term you care to here), which few seem to realize. There's a difference in playing some of the game for free and playing all of the game for free. But all they have to do is slap a "Free to Play" tag on anything they want and gamers go right along with the scam. Months down the road little Johnny spent $500 on a "free" game and didn't even know he got jobbed.

I'll hand it to the suits though, it's a great scam, works perfectly. STO is the real success story, lots of whales in that game.

Disagree.  They are called free to play because you can play a good portion of the game for free, without a time limit, so you can play free as long as you and the game are alive and they HOPE at some time you will buy something. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.