Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And this week in the SWTOR soap opera

1235»

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Nukewrk Originally posted by superniceguy Originally posted by simplius sooo,,,BW never made a fumble, before EA took over?,,if that was true,,BW would have taken over EA yes i know BW had a good hit ratio,,but perfect? hardly yes i still have baldurs gate and dragon age,,but do i play them anymore? no because games evolved since then right now GW2 and STO is taking most of my time,,if we could somehow transmogrif those two with the star wars ip,,
    BW did fumble they let themselves be bought by EA. EA are bigger than BW, but not better, and BW did not have enough money to take over EA, but EA had the money to buy BW All their games without EA were 100% perfect (as close to perfect as any company has ever gotten). It is the sole reason SWTOR sold 2 million copies at launch. Once they let EA buy them, they were no longer in control of what they did, and Bioware became no more and just a division of EA. Since EA their games just got weaker and weaker.
      Why do some still come on and hijack every single SWTOR and turn it into a bash of EA, the player of SWTOR, or the game. These players have no clue, no knowledge of the game yet whine, cry, pout because it closed their precious SWG, or took players away from another game. Why do you care about SWTOR so much that for over a year now you still are pouting? Why do you care so much that a lot of people are enjoying a VIDEO GAME!! Move on already...
    so 6 months subs and 3 months total playtime doesnt give any clues about the game?? i was even i prelaunch

i didnt play SWG,, from what ive heard, there was good reasons for shutting it down

how ever , from day one the forums have been filled those claiming that SWG was the best,,even when sub numbers proved the opposite

yes i was hyped before the game,,i bought it, and i was very disappointed after the honeymoon

now,,a year after launch,,the truth cant be hidden anymore, and the game will litterally implode

go to the SWTOR forums now,,its carnage over there,,now that most normal players have left,

there are only the fanbois and trolls left,,and with noone else to turn on, theyve started feeding of each other

this patient is now officially in a critical stage,,i think in 6-12 months it will be the end

in the game, the people actually playing does not reflect what the people say on the forums.

sure a lot of people don't like it for whatever reason but there are also a lot of people that do.

there are still over 20 servers total most of them packed full of people.

there are many many other mmorpg's out there with a lot less people playing them than SWTOR.

i don't see this game getting shut down any time soon and people who are unrealistic and think that it will just want it to for some unknown reason.

if you think its gonna die, let it die then. let the people who are enjoying the game, enjoy it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think he's probably right with top 5 in the west

Wow has more players
    Gw2 and ps2 probably have more
    Eve & rift possibly have more

But then you look at the budget of eve and how old it is compared to swtor.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by apocoluster Originally posted by Nukewrk Originally posted by superniceguy Originally posted by simplius sooo,,,BW never made a fumble, before EA took over?,,if that was true,,BW would have taken over EA yes i know BW had a good hit ratio,,but perfect? hardly yes i still have baldurs gate and dragon age,,but do i play them anymore? no because games evolved since then right now GW2 and STO is taking most of my time,,if we could somehow transmogrif those two with the star wars ip,,
    BW did fumble they let themselves be bought by EA. EA are bigger than BW, but not better, and BW did not have enough money to take over EA, but EA had the money to buy BW All their games without EA were 100% perfect (as close to perfect as any company has ever gotten). It is the sole reason SWTOR sold 2 million copies at launch. Once they let EA buy them, they were no longer in control of what they did, and Bioware became no more and just a division of EA. Since EA their games just got weaker and weaker.
      Why do some still come on and hijack every single SWTOR and turn it into a bash of EA, the player of SWTOR, or the game. These players have no clue, no knowledge of the game yet whine, cry, pout because it closed their precious SWG, or took players away from another game. Why do you care about SWTOR so much that for over a year now you still are pouting? Why do you care so much that a lot of people are enjoying a VIDEO GAME!! Move on already...
    if people didnt bash, whine or cry...these forums would be silent  :)
    It would be more quite, but at least there would be far more meaningful discussion going on. 

yeah, there might actually be....ya know? discussion about the game?

the forums here are a joke, most gaming forums are like this.

think about this. here on the forums its frowned upon to be an actual fan of an mmorpg even though this is a mmorpg fan site.

its much more acceptable to be cynical and hate on every game oh and to make fun of other people for being a fan.

yep, its a joke and i do not take what anyone says here seriously (good or bad) and never make a decision whether to buy a game or not based on what anyone says here or any other gaming message board.

that is just me though.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

///////////////////////////////////

Hi everyone,

I've spoken to the design team about the issue of Grade 7 ship upgrades and the cost in game (resources and time) versus the cost on the Cartel Market, since this concern was raised by a number of people on our forums.

Our Lead Designer for the game, Damion Schubert, has this to say:

Unfortunately, there is, in fact, a great disparity between these two costs. We want to apologize for this, as there was a miscommunication internally on how valuable these upgrades were, how challenging they should be to earn, and how fast a player should be able to earn them.

We are currently looking at solutions that cause the least amount of frustration for all players affected, while keeping the integrity of both the Cartel Market and the game intact.

It is not our intent to make the Cartel Market the “way to play" the game—we want you to feel that both the Cartel Market and earning gear in game are viable options as far as value goes, neither being far more efficient or effective than the other.

We truly hope you enjoy the challenge of the new Heroic Space Missions and apologize again for what we hope is a small distraction.

I want to reiterate that we are actively looking at solutions and they will be communicated to you as soon as we have a solid plan.
    /////////////////////////////////

So does this mean that future upgrades for ships or even gear itself will just have a heftier price tag? To match In Game Time Acquired Costs?

Sigh. SMH is in order.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Senden

Well you'll notice with me that I rarely bash the game itself and personally play it still and have been subscribed since early access and still have my Malgus CE statue on top of my pc.  However, I will continue to call out EA as much as needs be because as someone else has said, they are setting a prime example of how not to run an MMO. The biggest budget MMO in history if not game in history has gone f2p and taken a step towards a p2w path in less than a year of launch.. while I personally still find enjoyment by treating the game as a sp game with co-op and competitive mp, it doesn't change the fact it's one of the biggest failures in MMO history with all things considered.  Most of the failures blame lay with EA or BW which many of us think are run by EA now anyway. 

Also top 5 MMO populations? No chance.. do you have any idea how popular MMOs are in countries like Korea or China?  Maybe in western countries it's a top 5 played MMO but I wonder if that's an indication of the overall quality of the game or the IP it's attached to?

I estimated quite long time befor elaunch (when some things were finally known) that type of game like SWTOR (WoW clone) with IP like Star Wars can hold 300-400k subs and no way it can hold 1m subs and taking on WoW is something EA staff came up with whe they were on 'shrooms ;P

And its good guesstimate that subs settled in between that before F2P :)

Originally posted by JKwervo

///////////////////////////////////

Hi everyone,

I've spoken to the design team about the issue of Grade 7 ship upgrades and the cost in game (resources and time) versus the cost on the Cartel Market, since this concern was raised by a number of people on our forums.

Our Lead Designer for the game, Damion Schubert, has this to say:

Unfortunately, there is, in fact, a great disparity between these two costs. We want to apologize for this, as there was a miscommunication internally on how valuable these upgrades were, how challenging they should be to earn, and how fast a player should be able to earn them.

We are currently looking at solutions that cause the least amount of frustration for all players affected, while keeping the integrity of both the Cartel Market and the game intact.

It is not our intent to make the Cartel Market the “way to play" the game—we want you to feel that both the Cartel Market and earning gear in game are viable options as far as value goes, neither being far more efficient or effective than the other.

We truly hope you enjoy the challenge of the new Heroic Space Missions and apologize again for what we hope is a small distraction.

I want to reiterate that we are actively looking at solutions and they will be communicated to you as soon as we have a solid plan.

/////////////////////////////////

So does this mean that future upgrades for ships or even gear itself will just have a heftier price tag? To match In Game Time Acquired Costs?

Sigh. SMH is in order.

Oooh, if F2P doesnt produce enough monies i can see mods 27 being put on Cartel shop very soon. For a hefty sum, of course.

Short term its best to sell power in Cartel shop, and since launch i cant see any other method they use but short term semi-solutions.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by mikahr

Well you'll notice with me that I rarely bash the game itself and personally play it still and have been subscribed since early access and still have my Malgus CE statue on top of my pc.  However, I will continue to call out EA as much as needs be because as someone else has said, they are setting a prime example of how not to run an MMO. The biggest budget MMO in history if not game in history has gone f2p and taken a step towards a p2w path in less than a year of launch.. while I personally still find enjoyment by treating the game as a sp game with co-op and competitive mp, it doesn't change the fact it's one of the biggest failures in MMO history with all things considered.  Most of the failures blame lay with EA or BW which many of us think are run by EA now anyway. 

Also top 5 MMO populations? No chance.. do you have any idea how popular MMOs are in countries like Korea or China?  Maybe in western countries it's a top 5 played MMO but I wonder if that's an indication of the overall quality of the game or the IP it's attached to?

I estimated quite long time befor elaunch (when some things were finally known) that type of game like SWTOR (WoW clone) with IP like Star Wars can hold 300-400k subs and no way it can hold 1m subs and taking on WoW is something EA staff came up with whe they were on 'shrooms ;P

Even then 300-400k might be high-balling it.

Consider that SWTOR used to have 250 servers at launch, fully occupied, with an EA statement of 1.7 million players (6.8K players per server, non con-current).

Condense that down to 20 servers and you get about 140k people currently playing SWTOR.  The range of server capacity currently is identical to what it was at launch (ie not all servers heavy .. some light, some heavy).

OK, OK, EA did Megaservers!  Increasing their server capavity from 5000 to 6000 (6000 because of Andryah's honest post before it got deleted).  So inflate the userbase by 15%.

So add 15% to 140k and you get ~160k players!

Don't like that analysis?  Well even EA wouldn't give their subscriber numbers in their last investor conferance call .. that should tell you a lot and help clue you in.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by mikahr

Consider that SWTOR used to have 250 servers at launch, fully occupied, with an EA statement of 1.7 million players (6.8K players per server, non con-current).

Condense that down to 20 servers and you get about 140k people currently playing SWTOR.  The range of server capacity currently is identical to what it was at launch (ie not all servers heavy .. some light, some heavy).

OK, OK, EA did Megaservers!  Increasing their server capavity from 5000 to 6000 (6000 because of Andryah's honest post before it got deleted).  So inflate the userbase by 15%.

Don't like that analysis?  Well even EA wouldn't give their subscriber numbers in their last investor conferance call .. that should tell you a lot and help clue you in.

Don't foget that since it's f2p those numbers are for players not subscribers too.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

200kish sounds right,,about 10% of the original number

and those remaining still yell "THIS GAME IS FOR CASUALS"

apparently they hid this astounding success at investors call, by talking about THE SIMPSONS ONLINE

i hope george and disney can do something,,this is really hurting the name

if the game was GOOD i could have lived with axe wielding jedis,,,but its not

• hockey98hockey98 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by hockey98
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit] Schubert concurred, and he also mentioned that the numbers support BioWare's current position. "Almost every conceivable metric is better. The numbers have blown away our expectations, which means good things for the players and the game," he said.
  • DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit] Schubert concurred, and he also mentioned that the numbers support BioWare's current position. "Almost every conceivable metric is better. The numbers have blown away our expectations, which means good things for the players and the game," he said.

Interesting enough the subs number are now under a non disclosure veto.

Then how many players are really spending money in game?

And how much?

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    It would be interesting to know how many current subscribers they have. I would presume it probably is about as bad as people are predicting seeing as they've practically came out and said that they want to make cartel market a viable form of progression. People were going on about how great f2p was, truth is that it really is a form of life support. Instead of focusing on improving the quality of the game to get people to resub (dual spec anyone?) they'll just focus more and more on cartel shop items. 
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by baphamet

in the game, the people actually playing does not reflect what the people say on the forums.

sure a lot of people don't like it for whatever reason but there are also a lot of people that do.

there are still over 20 servers total most of them packed full of people.

there are many many other mmorpg's out there with a lot less people playing them than SWTOR.

i don't see this game getting shut down any time soon and people who are unrealistic and think that it will just want it to for some unknown reason.

if you think its gonna die, let it die then. let the people who are enjoying the game, enjoy it.

You mean same as:

"You trolls, game will not go F2P next year, it will NEVER go F2P and will have millions of subs just look at 220+ packed servers"

Frward a year, and we get statement like yours. Its not that theres absolutely no people that want to play it, its EAs incompetence and bad decisions even after 1 year that hurts the game.

If you think that saying "if they continue this way the game will shut down" is hatin'n or whatever...well you just cover for EAs missmanagment.

Originally posted by Karteli

I wouldnt go that far, it wasnt average people/server, certain servers were packed while certain were dead from the start, you would have to calculate a bit more to get numbers that are valid.

Now it seems taht their servers can "hold" unlimited number of characters, but mist of those are inactive (since all characters were merged).

I still think that if they start making right decisions they can hold 300-400k subs long term, even that at this moment they have more, but honeymoon phase will soon be over and i dont see any right decisions from them, they are still stuck in bad stream, they even managed to pi** off fanbois with whole life day stuff ;P

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

Since when was EA a registered charity?

Your entitled to your "I want everythig for free" ideal but lets use a little common sense here, did you honestly believe that you would get free outfits when there is a cash shop, lets not forget EA isn't the only MMO out there with a cash shop.

As for a holiday event it's only the 11th of Dec, still time for them to squeeze one in, however Bah flippin Humbug I hate holiday events, nothing but fluff, however I know there are lots of you out there that love em, but I certainly won't be joining any events that see me end up with a singing snowman pet.

Charity they are not... But really, adding plenty of expensive holiday stuff without a holiday event seems greedier than usually even for EA.

Of course they should charge for stupid holiday stuff, even if the holiday makes no sense for the IP whatsoever and "winter" or "midwinter" makes even less sense when we are talking about an IP with thousands of inhabitet planets.

But when they sell a lot of stuff they could have told us that they also would have a little in game event or something. This way it sounds like a scam with little purpose.

Personally I think that they should have skipped the entire thing, and possible have an event for some republic holiday instead, like the founding or the republic or whatever. Real world holidays make little sense in MMO besides ones based on seasons so "Midwinter" do work in most IPS but not this one.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I play only games with sub. And swtor is so far only game that I do not play for last about 4 months but i continue to be subbed as expression of support. For me is best game ever, never enjoyed any so much. Ok, sometimes have hard time to decide between swtor and wow.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Loke666

Your entitled to your "I want everythig for free" ideal but lets use a little common sense here, did you honestly believe that you would get free outfits when there is a cash shop, lets not forget EA isn't the only MMO out there with a cash shop.

As for a holiday event it's only the 11th of Dec, still time for them to squeeze one in, however Bah flippin Humbug I hate holiday events, nothing but fluff, however I know there are lots of you out there that love em, but I certainly won't be joining any events that see me end up with a singing snowman pet.

Charity they are not... But really, adding plenty of expensive holiday stuff without a holiday event seems greedier than usually even for EA.

Of course they should charge for stupid holiday stuff, even if the holiday makes no sense for the IP whatsoever and "winter" or "midwinter" makes even less sense when we are talking about an IP with thousands of inhabitet planets.

But when they sell a lot of stuff they could have told us that they also would have a little in game event or something. This way it sounds like a scam with little purpose.

Personally I think that they should have skipped the entire thing, and possible have an event for some republic holiday instead, like the founding or the republic or whatever. Real world holidays make little sense in MMO besides ones based on seasons so "Midwinter" do work in most IPS but not this one.

Agree that they should skip the entire thing.

In my opinion they have full hands with working on  Chapter 4: The Rise of Hutt Cartel, and that's what they should be doing anyway.  Add meaningful content and not one time event.  Not that I would not enjoy it, but it's not a big deal for me.

I am waiting for chapter 4!!!!!!!

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Nukewrk
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Because its the best example yet of how not to run a mmo

Hmm weird its probably in the top five of population with mmos. Must just be so horrible. Maybe if all the pouters got together and made "the best example" of an mmo, they wouldnt spend so much time pouting over a VIDEO GAME a lot of people enjoy and a VIDEO GAME they don't even play!!

As SWTOR is now available as F2P many other games have to be considered  in any  comparison -LoL,Clones  Wars etc.etc. And as  others have pointed out the  total number  of players (not  subscibers) only require 10% of  the post-launch servers  just  after the  launch of F2P  - which usually brings in players ....

If you  want to list  the ones you feel have more subs ... don't forget games like Call of Duty (the sub based element)

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Loke666

Agree that they should skip the entire thing.

In my opinion they have full hands with working on  Chapter 4: The Rise of Hutt Cartel, and that's what they should be doing anyway.  Add meaningful content and not one time event.  Not that I would not enjoy it, but it's not a big deal for me.

I am waiting for chapter 4!!!!!!!

I cant help but notice that your avatar picture changed from being female that you had on here for several months to male.  Not only that but your writing style has changed drasticly.  Was just wondering what happend. 

• ControlBlueControlBlue Member UncommonPosts: 22

To those whining about people whining about TOR...

You guys have to understand that some of us do like games that makes "interesting" decisions and find ways to make their games better. I spent years watching WotC make the right design calls for Magic the Gathering and watched the game prosper asa result, it is quite inspiring.

Now we have a game like SWTOR that manages to do the exact opposite... Of course we will whine and comment it, especially when most of those bad calls could have been avoided...

Edit: Also to be frank, watching this whole debacle is somewhat hilarious...

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by ImperialSun
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Guildwars 2 does the same thing, don't see people complaining about that.

Truthfully I don't mind this in moderation, just a company needs to consider the fact there is a fine line to walk where people can enjoy the holiday or where they just can't due to it being based to much on RL cash (or spending a lot in game to do so). Its about achieving that balance.

Exactly...

GW2 Cash Grab Halloween chests anyone?

Conveniently forgotten when it means another chance to jump on the bash TOR bandwagon...

Pathetic...

Driz

People jump on the bash TOR bandwagon because EA keep shooting themselves in the foot. f2p hasn't even been out for a month yet and they've already added the best ship upgrades available through real cash.  GW2 cash shop is bad in some ways too from what I seen.. additional character slot prices are a joke but at least to the best of my knowledge, you can't buy top tier gear on there.

You may not be able to buy the best gear in GW2 but you can buy enough gold through their cash shop to buy anything you want in game. Any game that allows you to buy game gold with real money through their cash shops wins hands down as the saddest game when it comes to cash shops. How can you compare that to any other game?

Well thank goodness you can't sale items purchased from the cash shop in SWTOR to other players. That would be the same thing. Oh wait... you can... and players do... 

So SWTOR is the saddest game when it comes to cash shops then? You can buy in game currency, and there are game breaking items on the cash shop... 

Buying an item a player must have and then selling it to them for insane amounts of in game currency is so much better than trading a great deal of gems for a modest ammount of in game currency. That was sarcasm.