Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And this week in the SWTOR soap opera

SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Pay EA your money to celebrate the holidays ingame. There might not be life day in the game but who needs that when you can buy life day items to celebrate in style! 

Can't say I'm shocked but it's hardly going to do them any favours.  They could at least announce a special FREE (for everyone none of that restrictions BS) ingame event and then once that starts, add the items to the cartel market.  Ofcourse, doing such a thing would just make too much sense to these decision makers. O well, pull up a chair, grab a beer and some popcorn and enjoy another week in life of the soap opera that has become the SWTOR community.

Comments

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Senden

Pay EA your money to celebrate the holidays ingame. There might not be life day in the game but who needs that when you can buy life day items to celebrate in style! 

Can't say I'm shocked but it's hardly going to do them any favours.  They could at least announce a special FREE (for everyone none of that restrictions BS) ingame event and then once that starts, add the items to the cartel market.  Ofcourse, doing such a thing would just make too much sense to these decision makers. O well, pull up a chair, grab a beer and some popcorn and enjoy another week in life of the soap opera that has become the SWTOR community.

You can just buy anything from the Cartel Market with Ingame money, i dont see the problem here. And maybe is hard to believe but the money from the market is helping them to make new content for the game faster. And is cosmetic stuff anyway.

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by hikaru77

You can just buy anything from the Cartel Market with Ingame money, i dont see the problem here. And maybe is hard to believe but the money from the market is helping them to make new content for the game faster. And is cosmetic stuff anyway.

Adding new stuff to the Cartel Market isn't the problem, it's the manner in which they've done it.  They could have easily went about it in a more community friendly way by actually having an ingame event, promoting it and then selling cartel market stuff around that. But no, just add life day stuff for the sake of using the holidays to make quick money. It's a bit of a kick in the balls to hardcore Star Wars fans tbh. 

To be fair though, I don't really have a problem with it though personally.. hating on EA for using the holidays to nickel and dime their playerbase would be like hating on a dog for barking, it's just in their nature and who they are as a company. 

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Since when was EA a registered charity?

Your entitled to your "I want everythig for free" ideal but lets use a little common sense here, did you honestly believe that you would get free outfits when there is a cash shop, lets not forget EA isn't the only MMO out there with a cash shop.

As for a holiday event it's only the 11th of Dec, still time for them to squeeze one in, however Bah flippin Humbug I hate holiday events, nothing but fluff, however I know there are lots of you out there that love em, but I certainly won't be joining any events that see me end up with a singing snowman pet.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

When has the Star Wars franchise been anything but nickel and diming?

My god with the constant rereleases of all the movies on VHS, DVD, Bluray and all the different formats Lucas has built this entire franchise off it!

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

First I thought this is a joke post, but it's actually true.

The "event" are some super expensive items from the cash shop. At least at the moment, perhaps they kick off something a week later or so.

Right now, no ingame rewards, no quests, no story, no nothing. 

Celebrate lifeday in the cash shop.

Goddamit bring back SWG, this new game is a tragedy..... :-/

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol at helping them make new content faster
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

Since when was EA a registered charity?

Your entitled to your "I want everythig for free" ideal but lets use a little common sense here, did you honestly believe that you would get free outfits when there is a cash shop, lets not forget EA isn't the only MMO out there with a cash shop.

As for a holiday event it's only the 11th of Dec, still time for them to squeeze one in, however Bah flippin Humbug I hate holiday events, nothing but fluff, however I know there are lots of you out there that love em, but I certainly won't be joining any events that see me end up with a singing snowman pet.

Did you even read what I put? Or did you just decide to respond just so you get every fanboys favourite defense mechanicsm "entitlement" in? Not once did I ask for free stuff or even suggest they should do it.  

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

We are getting content updates every 6 weeks, is probably the only MMO in the market doing that. If the Cartel Market help them to keep the 6 weeks updates, whats the problem? 

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I played Tor for like 5 hours yesterday doing my dailes etc etc...I never even noticed the items for sale in teh CS.  While I can appreciate your oppinion on teh the items in the CS..I wasnt even aware they existed. 

The only thing this trread has done is bring attention to them..and atleast in my case. When I go home tonight and log in..Guess what the first thing Im gonna look at is.

IF you didnt like it, it might have been a good idea not to bring any attention to it..after all there is no such thing as bad publicity..and you did EA a favor by offering free advertisment.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

We are getting content updates every 6 weeks, is probably the only MMO in the market doing that. If the Cartel Market help them to keep the 6 weeks updates, whats the problem? 

Are they doing updates faster than GW2?

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by grimal

Are they doing updates faster than GW2?

And faster than Secret World with monthly issues?

Nope. Sorry, but for a sub game, SWTOR had a very weak year.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by apocoluster

I played Tor for like 5 hours yesterday doing my dailes etc etc...I never even noticed the items for sale in teh CS.  While I can appreciate your oppinion on teh the items in the CS..I wasnt even aware they existed. 

The only thing this trread has done is bring attention to them..and atleast in my case. When I go home tonight and log in..Guess what the first thing Im gonna look at is.

IF you didnt like it, it might have been a good idea not to bring any attention to it..after all there is no such thing as bad publicity..and you did EA a favor by offering free advertisment.

That's fine, I really don't mind. You are either completely misinterepting the point of this thread or trying to bait me, either way, if you want to spend $20 on these items, all the more power to you.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

It's eawares new formular:

Be a douche, win money if people don't feel teabagged enough. = WIN
    If they do, "listen to players" and revert some changes. = WIN

No one at eaware gives a flying star* about the actual sales currently, it's all about preparing the ground for the real cash grabs.

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    More bad but still publicity. Lets the game die in it slow death. Faster it dies faster we will maybe get new SW.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Yah, its an event without actual...you know...event lol.

Really would like to know which geniouses work at EA and let this kind of thing get out :)

But now it seems that when they announce event it means a new gambling pack in Cartel shop.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm aware of all the "give us more money we will give you more content" snake oil from playing warhammer.

Don't be suprised if your new content is
    1 cash shop pets
    2 cash shop mounts
    3 an "expansion" where you pay for another 10 levels but don't actually get any new zones, quests or dungeons, but you have to buy it to stay on the gear curve.
    4 the ability to dress up as chewbacca and jar jar binks.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

A couple amusing aspects going on as well:

The FAQ http://www.swtor.com/free/features makes a big stink about how in-game event rewards can only be worn/used by purchasing an event license.  EA's workaround to their own crappy restrictions?  Don't do in-game events, put everything directly on the Cartel Market.

Scrupulous people on the SWTOR official forums are actually complaining about holidays saying they don't want them, and how they are soo offended by Christmas/Life Day lights being put on speeders.  Makes you wonder if these are real people or just shills trying to convince everyone that the former stagnation & mediocrity of content is really, really fun.

People blindly defending EA's greed, and (out of thin air, mind you) announcing that these sales will bolster future content!  Spending $300+ a year is so much better than spending a mere $150-$180 a year.  Then some on the official forums call those who don't spend on the Cartel Market, "cheap".  LOL.

But then again, I would expect no less, coming from certain fans / subscribers who call non paying players "freeloaders" ... in a game marketed as "F2P".  Soap Opera, indeed!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

"Hey folks!

While we're definitely excited about the new Life Day items in the Cartel Market, I wanted to make sure that you all knew that we do not have an in-game event planned for this. However, this doesn't mean that we don't have any in-game events planned for the future! We'll have more information for you sometime after the holidays.

Thank you!
    "

ha ha ha ha. man, you advertise an event and then you have to put disclaimer like this.

I now start to wonder what Ilum "event" will look like lol

Actually, even worse than over-priced festive items, they've even essentially added pay to win space mission items. Sure you can grind them out forever or spend silly amounts on the GTN, but you can now essentially buy space ship epics for real money. Took EA less than a month to introduce p2w stuff, I really shouldn't be surprised. 
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

Actually, even worse than over-priced festive items, they've even essentially added pay to win space mission items. Sure you can grind them out forever or spend silly amounts on the GTN, but you can now essentially buy space ship epics for real money. Took EA less than a month to introduce p2w stuff, I really shouldn't be surprised. 

Started with the blue gear.....but now with this? Its a matter of time.
  • KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

Sorry but that is complete BS.  The only reason they are able to release patches every 6-8 weeks now is because this is all those things they've been working on since before June, F2P, and the mass firings.  And they've already backed off from that and have said to expect 9 weeks for the next few patches.  The reality is that it is easy to release updates faster when you're taking stuff you've finished and sitting on it for months so you can string out the updates.

Look at 1.6.  One new warzone that has been in development for an entire year (which means its probably the last one we will see for another year) and 6 heroic space missions that fewer people will ever see than actually raid.

I'm sorry but Makeb, Cathar, Ancient Hypergates...this is all stuff they've been working on for almost a year now.  This is stuff that was in development long before the cash shop even started development.  We have no idea whether the cash shop will translate into new content faster because we simply aren't there yet.  If in 6 months they're still sticking to the "new content every 6 weeks" schedule, then I'll be impressed.  As it is now they're just stringing out content that is long...looooong overdue.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by mikahr

"Hey folks!

While we're definitely excited about the new Life Day items in the Cartel Market, I wanted to make sure that you all knew that we do not have an in-game event planned for this. However, this doesn't mean that we don't have any in-game events planned for the future! We'll have more information for you sometime after the holidays.

Thank you!
    "

I mean, seriously?

Reminds me the 1.6 Livestream Q&A

"Jeff: Our intent right now is to update the Cartel Market weekly. We can do more often if we want to. You saw an update just 2 days ago. We put 1-2 new items on, changed some prices . We are experimenting with what works and what people are expecting. You should see another update next week. 

Before the holidays, I don’t want to give you an exact date, we got a really big cool update coming.

Damion: We are currently slated for the immediate future a new Cartel Pack every month for the next few months with all new super rare items inside the packs.

Jeff: Oh ya and the stuff we are doing for Life Day, again which you will see before the holidays, are absolutely amazing. Do you have a list of items?

Joveth: I have a list of items right here. Czerka LV-1 Celebrator. 

Jeff: That is the one, I am super excited about it. You guys are going to die when you see it."

The new mount is more or less a re-skin of an existing model.

Honestly I died a little inside when I saw that, especially since they're asking $20ish to get the holiday items (even for subscribers) and don't even have an event.

Seems to me they crossed the fine line here.

Once again did not thought they could dig their grave even deeper.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by theoneandonly
    More bad but still publicity. Lets the game die in it slow death. Faster it dies faster we will maybe get new SW.

I like how you think if a game "fails". Developers want to do it again to see how much money they can waste next time!

According to your logic that is.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Deewe
    Originally posted by mikahr

"Hey folks!

Thank you!
    "

I mean, seriously?

Reminds me the 1.6 Livestream Q&A

"Jeff: Our intent right now is to update the Cartel Market weekly. We can do more often if we want to. You saw an update just 2 days ago. We put 1-2 new items on, changed some prices . We are experimenting with what works and what people are expecting. You should see another update next week. 

Before the holidays, I don’t want to give you an exact date, we got a really big cool update coming.

Damion: We are currently slated for the immediate future a new Cartel Pack every month for the next few months with all new super rare items inside the packs.

Jeff: Oh ya and the stuff we are doing for Life Day, again which you will see before the holidays, are absolutely amazing. Do you have a list of items?

Jeff: That is the one, I am super excited about it. You guys are going to die when you see it."

The new mount is more or less a re-skin of an existing model.

Honestly I died a little inside when I saw that, especially since they're askiing $20ish to get the holiday items (even for subscribers) and don't even have an event.

Seems to me they crossed the fine line here.

Once again did not thought they could dig their grave even deeper.

I looked up the interview because I wanted to see it.  The video and the transcript can be found here:

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/29/swtor-patch-1-6-livestream-qa-transcript/

lol

Jeff: Our intent right now is to update the Cartel Market weekly. We can do more often if we want to. You saw an update just 2 days ago. We put 1-2 new items on, changed some prices . We are experimenting with what works and what people are expecting. You should see another update next week.

Jeff: That is the one, I am super excited about it. You guys are going to die when you see it.

Joveth: We are also going to have Life day robes, Life Day orbs, Life Day Holo Tree and a tensil bomb. We are also going to have them all available in a Life Day Cartel pack.

Jeff: I think that is just the short list, I think there is a bunch more. The Czerka LV-1 Celebrator “laughs”. Let me put it this way, it is red, it is festive, you can ride it, and it is super amazing. It will help with your celebrator..ing.

Damion: To go back a little to the question, we plan to put up a lot of gear on the store and update the gear selection at a fairly frequent pace. The plan will depends primarily on how well the gear does. The next thing we have targeted, I don’t know if it is will be in the next patch, over the next month or so, we are adding in stuff that are more archetypical. Stuff that really look like core Jedi Knight stuff.  The mod system opened up a lot of stuff for us.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

LOL This Czerka Model is not my style /grin but yep... you can die from laughing when you see it... it looks like a Xmas Tree /grin

imageimage

I much prefer my Refer-a-friend speeder LOL... this one is... just too old fashioned... antic....

It's just preview, so quality of pic is not the best... not buying it though.. so bear with me

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E