Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open World vs Instances Fail or Future?

Comments

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

double post

Originally posted by Rimmersman

GW2 may not be as instanced as GW1 but it's still full of instancing, multiple copies of world's and instanced dungeon , it's not an open world.

I assume you speak of overflows. This is a common misconception. When you are in an overflow you aren't in another 'instance' of the map you're in, you are actually on an entirely different server, one that takes in extra players from a select group of servers. Don't believe me? Next time you are in an overflow, ask in /map what server everyone is from. :)

And yes it does have instanced dungeons, but frankly what themepark MMOG doesn't these days? lol

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

The game isn't even entirely open world.

The dungeons and singleplayer portions are still instanced.

Instances have no place in MMOs, past present or future.

And yes, overflow shards ARE instances. The server is not permenant, it is an instance.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Instance = Fail

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

And yes, overflow shards ARE instances. The server is not permenant, it is an instance.

So you'd rather wait 30minutes up to several hours in a queue to enter your server instead of playing on an overflow while in the queue?

Sure, be my guest. I guess your and my concept of "fun" are quite different.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

So you'd rather wait 30minutes up to several hours in a queue to enter your server instead of playing on an overflow while in the queue?

Sure, be my guest. I guess your and my concept of "fun" are quite different.

I'd rather have a game that is properly designed to handle a lot of people. This is an MMO after all. But that takes actual dev skill and forethought.

Funny how folks hate instances. I guess you never experienced the clusterf*ck that was EQ raids.

Overflows are 'instanced', but they are NOT instances of the map you are located on for 'your' server. So they are different than say Age of Conan that simply instances a map that gets to many people on it, so you have zone copy 1, 2, 3.. etc.

Originally posted by Fion

Funny how folks hate instances. I guess you never experienced the clusterf*ck that was EQ raids.

Overflows are 'instanced', but they are NOT instances of the map you are located on for 'your' server. So they are different than say Age of Conan that simply instances a map that gets to many people on it, so you have zone copy 1, 2, 3.. etc.

I never claimed they were instances on the same server. Not that it matters, the end result is the same.

EQ raids weren't well designed. EQ is a game that, due to its tierred design and PvE centric gameplay, needed instances eventually. DAoC had PvE similar to EQ, but was designed well, and never, NEVER had need of instances.

All modern MMOs "need" instances because they're clones of WoW, which is a clone of the poor design decisions in EQ.

But I'd rather take a social clusterfuck than paying a monthly fee for a singleplayer game.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

You mean, "INC TRAIN TO BB ZONE!!!" image

I'll take the excitement and thrill over an open world system like that over the instancing bore any day.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Wootloops
    Originally posted by botrytis

There is no game with fantastic graphics that is not zoned, currently.

TERA, brah. Other than swapping continents.

Tera is zoned. You cannot run from one are to the other. You fly, which is basically what you do in WoW - that is your zoning. So instead of a loading screen, you see a movie of you flying on Pegasus - potato/potatoe - it is the same thing.

Tera is zoned. You cannot run from one are to the other. You fly, which is basically what you do in WoW - that is your zoning. So instead of a loading screen, you see a movie of you flying on Pegasus - potato/potatoe - it is the same thing.

Vanguard doesn't have zones.

Graphics don't really have anything to do with whether or not a game is seamless or instanced.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Its not just guildwars. I am an old school gamer, I have played in both non instanced and instanced worlds for a looooong time. There are merits to both systems however I feel the future will be instanced gaming for simlply one fact, its easier. There is one thing that I really feel sorry for the people of todays mmos and that is they will never truely know the experience of a non instanced game. They will never experience the glee when the fire giants in sol-b yell, YOU WILL NOT EVADE ME DOOMSDAY! and then seeing the shouts of all the other people in the zone shouting encouragement for you to kick their ass! They will never fully understand the epicness of dragon battles with hundreds of people trying to take them down and spending hours doing it.

They will never see these things and that is extremely sad. They also wont see trains, assholes trying to kill the spawn that you have been hours waiting for and they also wont get to enjoy those famous words, SOW PLEASE! I am on the other side of the zone, come give me sow! Maybe instances aren't so bad afterall lol. In all seriousness though, the way verant did it was awesome. You had distinct zones with their own look and feel. Open world stuff just doesn't compare with that.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Graphics don't really have anything to do with whether or not a game is seamless or instanced.

But Vanguard was a clusterf*&k game in my opinion. Not even worth mentioning. It was also WAY smaller than GW2 - in fact it was way smaller than GW1 which even when though instanced was bigger). You can do open if you have a teeny-tiny world.

But Vanguard was a clusterf*&k game in my opinion. Not even worth mentioning. It was also WAY smaller than GW2 - in fact it was way smaller than GW1 which even when though instanced was bigger). You can do open if you have a teeny-tiny world.

Did you ever go into a dungeon in vanguard? They could gof or miles underground! Vanguards world is not tiny, it only seems that way because they put those stupid teleporters up everywhere. Vanguard was a good game but lacked the supoprt it needed to truely be a great game. I blame sony for that, they bought it and then pretty much dropped the ball with it.

Oh and to reply to that reply. vanguard did in fact have zones. They just tried to make them seemless and they failed. Even a top of the line computer would freeze for a moment on the zone lines when transitioning from one zone to another.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Vanguard also has no players ...having no zones didn't really help here did it?

Originally posted by Bad.dog

Vanguard also has no players ...having no zones didn't really help here did it?

Vanguard HAD players. The problem was that there was no support for the game. When sony bought it, all they really did was try to do some bug fixes and balance issues. In doing so, they really did screw up some of the classes that was perfectly fine if people learned how to play them properly, instead of just complaining about how terrible it was to be class X. If sony had really devoted to this game, it could have been really popular.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Vanguard HAD players. The problem was that there was no support for the game.

My memory is quite different, and I'm one of the few who enjoyed his time in Vanguard despite its flaws. I actually still have it installed today, so I can visit sometimes since it's F2P now.

My memory is that Vanguard was a bug, and more important, LAG ridden mess since day one. There were invisible "zone" borders where your computer would suddenly "stop" and you needed 30+ seconds to several minutes of waiting before it finished loading. The only difference is that there was no loading screen. The graphic engine performance was sub par, and also very unstable, crashing as soon as someone was farting in the same room than the computer which was running the game (exagerated, but you see the point).

The concept of Vanguard? Great. But theory doesn't always work in reality. The only reason why Vanguard "works" today is because there's barely anyone left to play it, but the game was in no way able, technologically wise, to accept the "normal" population of a MMORPG.

If anything, World of Warcraft was way more successful at providing an almost seamless world than Vanguard - at least at its release in 2004, not now with the dozens of layers of "phasing".

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Originally posted by Wootloops Originally posted by botrytis There is no game with fantastic graphics that is not zoned, currently.

What the heck are you talking about?

In Tera you can walk from 1 zone to another.

Please stop spreading misinformation.

My memory is quite different, and I'm one of the few who enjoyed his time in Vanguard despite its flaws. I actually still have it installed today, so I can visit sometimes since it's F2P now.

My memory is that Vanguard was a bug, and more important, LAG ridden mess since day one. There were invisible "zone" borders where your computer would suddenly "stop" and you needed dozens of seconds of waiting before it finished loading. The only difference is that there was no loading screen. The graphic engine performance was sub par, and also very unstable, crashing as soon as someone was farting in the same room than the computer which was running the game (exagerated, but you see the point).

The concept of Vanguard? Great. But theory doesn't always work in reality.

If anything, World of Warcraft was way more successful at providing an almost seamless world than Vanguard - at least at its release in 2004, not now with the dozens of layers of "phasing".

My gaming experience was hugely different than yours. I rarely had lag problems in the game. My entire group of friends never had lag problems. Yes we experienced the zoning issues that I even mentioned in this thread earlier but that was the probably the worst issue we ever had with the game. The only other problem which was also related to zoning was if you were flying and you zoned, you had probably a 50/50 chance of not being on your bird when you finally zoned in and you fell to your death. Once you were in an area for more then 30 seconds, our framerates were fine and we played fluidly without all the graphics issues people complained about. Now, we all had high end rigs that we all built ourself and we built them specifically for gaming and we are all in the IT field, so maybe that was one reason we didnt have these problems that lots of other folks did. Crashing to the desktop was also a rare occurance for us. We played daily for hours at a time and we might encounter one of us crashing to the desktop, maybe once-twice a week. That again, didnt seem that bad for a game that was very hardware oriented. We also all played on high graphics settings and what we saw was a beautiful game world with extremely rich detail. The only real complaint I ever had about the characters in the game was their running animation, it was god aweful!

You want to try and compare vanguard to wow? A game that was made for low end machines? Heck I can still remember one of my guildmates in EQ1 that took 5 minutes to zone EVERY time he hit a zone line Yet that same rig would have played wow with little issues.

I to still have vanguard installed. I play it once every few weeks or so just for fun. heck I still have EQ1 and EQ2 installed lol.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I recall as a necromancer you chunked and your pet poofed. God I have no idea where all this rose tinted glasses came from but boy was Vanguard a buggy mess. It was simply terrible. I did come back months later when almost everyone had left it played better and it was probably because of the lack of population. There were good things like the crafting but the game was very bad at launch almost unplayable at times. That is why people left.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

My memory is that Vanguard was a bug, and more important, LAG ridden mess since day one. There were invisible "zone" borders where your computer would suddenly "stop" and you needed 30+ seconds to several minutes of waiting before it finished loading. The only difference is that there was no loading screen. The graphic engine performance was sub par, and also very unstable, crashing as soon as someone was farting in the same room than the computer which was running the game (exagerated, but you see the point).

The concept of Vanguard? Great. But theory doesn't always work in reality. The only reason why Vanguard "works" today is because there's barely anyone left to play it, but the game was in no way able, technologically wise, to accept the "normal" population of a MMORPG.

Vanguard has chunking not zoning and ive played for nearly six years and never heard of anyone taking several minutes to chunk. If your going to bs then at least do it convincingly lol.

In the early days chunking was off but then the client was buggy but even then chunking only took up to 30 secs on the crappist PC. Now chunking is hardly noticable taking me two to five secs max, SSD is key to ultra fast chunking.

Vanguard does not have zones they are chunks, when you cross a chunk line you do not disappear . If me and you were in a group and i crossed a chunk line i would be able to see you across the other side of that chunk line that how mobs in vanguard can follow you across chunk lines.

There is no loading bar and no disappearing from view. Vanguard has no instances and i can go from one end of the world to the other without hitting any walls, it would take more hours than i would like.

Its an open world, i can use riftways but i am not forced to use them,i can get to my destination by flying or sailing or land mount. 

http://vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/Chunks

Serveral minutes to chunk, dont make me laugh.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

GW2 may not be as instanced as GW1 but it's still full of instancing, multiple copies of world's and instanced dungeon , it's not an open world.

I assume you speak of overflows. This is a common misconception. When you are in an overflow you aren't in another 'instance' of the map you're in, you are actually on an entirely different server, one that takes in extra players from a select group of servers. Don't believe me? Next time you are in an overflow, ask in /map what server everyone is from. :)

And yes it does have instanced dungeons, but frankly what themepark MMOG doesn't these days? lol

just becuase they use the term overflow "server" doesnt mean it's not an instance.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Vanguard smaller than GW2 lol, delusional at best.Vanguard is way bigger that GW2  in every way. Come on you can BS better than that surely,Vanguard has more content than GW2, in fact it trumps GW2 for content  and world seize .

19 races 15 different starting areas all with their own quest line. You could play Vanguard for two years and not see all content on one character let alone atls.

16 classes with one class being three in one. It's actually embarrising reading the desperate attemtpts by some GW2 fans trying to convince us that GW2 is an open world.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by muffins89

just becuase they use the term overflow "server" doesnt mean it's not an instance.

Do you know what an instance is? Do you know what a server is? I'm not convinced you do at the moment.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

Loading screens have been a part of video games since before I was born.. do you remember how long you had to wait just to Start the game? You'd tap that A button over and over hopeing to get the to the start screen for damn near 20 minutes it felt like.

So... No I really dont care about loading screens or instances.. to me its whatever.. if it makes the game more stable and run better then its fine by me.

Comparing Gw1 to Gw2 instances though... Gw2 is way better.. because all the other players share them with you.. unlike gw1 where you had to group up b4 hand. That sucked and everyone just used henchman anyways.