Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else think its getting a bit quiet out there?

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I took a month off from GW2 to play a bit of XCOM and just came back in the last couple of days. I feel I left a great party to grab a burger and came back to an empty house.

I have spent probably 4-5 hours and have literally came across 2 people yesterday and 2 people this morning.  Starting zones and 70+ zones.  I know Lion's Reach will have some folks but I was a little surprised by the lack of randoms running around.

Maybe I am unlucky on the times I'm playing but has anyone else come across this?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

MIght be server specific.  Just was reading a thread where some posters said they found their game worlds pretty devoid of other players, while still others said the population was just fine, even at the lower levels.

My son is about to start playing GW2 and I'd be interested in knowing what US timezone servers are most populated right now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by chryses

I took a month off from GW2 to play a bit of XCOM and just came back in the last couple of days. I feel I left a great party to grab a burger and came back to an empty house.

I have spent probably 4-5 hours and have literally came across 2 people yesterday and 2 people this morning.  Starting zones and 70+ zones.  I know Lion's Reach will have some folks but I was a little surprised by the lack of randoms running around.

Maybe I am unlucky on the times I'm playing but has anyone else come across this?

server hoppers who want to be on the wining server + people who dont  exp[lode and retread old ground

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It mostly depends on the time when I play, but yes, there is a lot less people wandering around the world now...

Tho, fractal of the mists is now in LA so people mostly hang there... But Wintersday is coming soon so we'll be seeing alot more people again. :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Quit playing for a while, Far Cry 3 in my case and noticed it before I left.

GW2 pulled a stupid move with Ascended gear, which was for a while concentrating everyone into grinding that gear set and that left normal quest areas empty.

It is an ancient problem with level/gear based MMO's. Add a new level cap and that is where everyone is, grinding away, presenting a barren world to everyone else.

It is the reason Ascended gear was so protested against. Doing this kinda stuff never helped make a game more lively, accesible or even just plain fun.

Lotro was the same, pre-moria people were playing through all areas, post-moria 99% was locked up in moria grinding hope gear.

Soccer clubs spend a LOT of time on their junior teams because they know that you need new blood to survive. MMO's put any new player in lonely world with an ever bigger level gap to cross and wonder why they die out.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Usually, I'm accompanied by 1-3 people in every DE. Some areas are more desolate than others, though. For example, usually there's no one in Lornar's Pass on my server, because it's pretty bad gameplay wise.

It's mostly about population spreading out. I don't think there's a big difference between now and a month after launch. Of course, during launch, there were zergs everywhere, but that's because people were all packed in the same low-level areas and playing for 6+ hours a day.

FotM didn't affect lvl 1-70 areas much, IMO. Dungeons and Orr are the places that took a hit because of it and the loot patch that made playing in lvl 65+ areas more desirable as a lvl 80.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    There's not many only during the morning and be glad that zergs are gone.

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93

What is happening with GW2 is that since they added fractals, many players have been just running the dungeons to get the gear that drops there. So you won't see them in the open world.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Im playing on Desolation and open world has failed for 2 months now nobody is doing events or just exploring only few gathering mats and occasinal passing player helps with event but thats rare.

Myself i refuse FotM or any dungeon run GW2 suppose to be mainly WvWvW AND open world PVE but it failed misrable now they all is doing instance farming 24/7 and traidmill for ascended gear/items instance only.

Im very dissapointed with GW2 thats why i don't spent a dime in gemshop and will not buy any expansion.

I'll keep playing becouse bought CE but this is not what i thought GW2 would be also goldbuyers and cheaters ruined alot:(

But im started with Dishonered(PC)great game) and soon Farcry 3(PC) so soon im done with mmo's im again to a all time low with mmo's.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Wow, you've been playing xcom for a month? I was done with that ater 2 days.

Yeh, population is lower now. What else could have happened though? The launch was so successful that it could only go down instead of up. Find the right server for the times that you play.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Fractals is a big poulation draw, but it's not just for the rings you can get... they're flat out fun (when you don't have someone in your group that insists on trying this glitch or that bug...). People like that annoy me... play the game the way it was meant to be played like the rest of us and collect the loot along the way you're trying to deny us. Sheesh.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I bought the game  in the hope of great WvW. Tiny maps,ques and zergs that negate any achievement in minutes have taken away  any motivation  . I wish it weren't so. I love competing in faction vs faction games.

Elder Scrolls online is the only shining light on the horizon for me.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

To be expected, it is a party only game and players are having trouble getting in to a party!

If they would just get rid of the pathetic idea of lowering the lvl of the player! The player has fought hard to gain levels and deserves the right to be able to go to lower levels and kick ass, rather than have a lvl 80 char killed by ow level shit!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Scalpless

It's mostly about population spreading out. I don't think there's a big difference between now and a month after launch.

I would have to strongly disagree with you there, looking at the forums, much less posts than month after release, deserted zones, this is pretty normal for most Mmos, you have the initial high numbers of players and then more and more players leave. 

To me it's pretty obvious that the shiny has worn off for many and players have simply moved on and are playing less.

But talking about GW2 the drop is huge and fast, and people dont even come back to play the new updates. My server also say full 24/7 but when u logon is pretty much empty and is a big deal when u try to level up new toons and there is just not enough people to do DE.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I bought the game  in the hope of great WvW. Tiny maps,ques and zergs that negate any achievement in minutes have taken away  any motivation  . I wish it weren't so. I love competing in faction vs faction games.Elder Scrolls online is the only shining light on the horizon for me. 

No it isn't, Age Of Wushu is epic FFA faction PvP with some features never seen in any MMO lol.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

I bought the game  in the hope of great WvW. Tiny maps,ques and zergs that negate any achievement in minutes have taken away  any motivation  . I wish it weren't so. I love competing in faction vs faction games.

No it isn't, Age Of Wushu is epic FFA faction PvP with some features never seen in any MMO lol.

Agreed about Wushu. That game was a real wake up for me. It really made me wonder wtf are western devs doing. from a tech and content standpoint.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Xfire is far from meaningless because it scales.  It doesnt matter if only 10 people playing the same game use Xfire or 10,000.  The percentages work the same.
  • pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

i dont know about US servers but in EU underworld server its still people on world maps, but usually starter zones from silvari or charrs have much less people, and north maps either. people are concentrated between LA and Orr.

Anyway its better to play with 5-10 players around than 30+ as on the begining.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I figure level 70 is a funny zone to be in anyway, just need to work up to 80 and see if that is where the pop is.  I am fine to play on my own but the real fun I had in GW2 was playing some of the big dynamic events with a group of random players.  Now I am finding it hard to do any decent DE's. 

I guess its a Christmas month and if going by my schedule leading up to Christmas I won't have much time to play either. 

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    On my server, while leveling my 2nd character to 80, the population seems pretty healthy and active.  
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

As much as I enjoy GW2, I have to agree with you. Levelling is not as fun without running into random people and as I level my level 40+ Thief alt, I don't run into random people as often as I did whilst levelling my main. But that's to be expected in an MMO, since the majority of the game's population are on their level 80s doing dungeons, fractals, sPvP or WvW. However on my server there are at least enough people in a zone to complete the group events, during peak time.

Also what I just discovered (literally an hour ago) is that my server holds daily mining runs. Where a group of commanders lead a zerg of players across several zones to farm nodes. Was quite fun and a sight to behold. And people say the game is dead. image

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

The best thing about GW2 is they were willing to give me my money back a week after I purchased the game.

I thought that was pretty cool of them.

Otherwise IMO the game is terrible, thats why you arent seeing alot of people running around.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

I have so little faith in an asian mmo satifying my western ways. I also feel we have less then zero communications with developers, so if westerners heavily pushed for something, it's totally missed. I hope something can make me change my stance on this.

On topic, yes this is something fans said wouldn't happen on release. The thing with this game is it seems it could make some reasonable changes to fix this, where a std mmo and how it's open world is setup, there is no chance to fix it. GW2 is like so close you can almost taste it.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

It must be server specific. I'm on Tarnished Coast. When I do my dailies and a little level 70-80 farming with my Level 80 Thief, I see a good number of people roaming the zones and at Dynamic Events. Lion's Arch is still bustling, I always end up in overflow, often even at odd hours. I also started a Guardian this week and Divinity's Reach and Queensdale both have very healthy populations.

If I do some free roaming play in the level 40-70 zones, sometimes things can feel a bit underpopulated, but that has more to do with the current population distribution than anything.

You can still do a weekly free server transfer, so if your server is dead and you have no ties there, you might check out a more populated server.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Yeah,  maybe, but that name is going to hold this title back, I mean it sounds like someone sneezing in a hankie.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by fiontar

It must be server specific. I'm on Tarnished Coast. When I do my dailies and a little level 70-80 farming with my Level 80 Thief, I see a good number of people roaming the zones and at Dynamic Events. Lion's Arch is still bustling, I always end up in overflow, often even at odd hours. I also started a Guardian this week and Divinity's Reach and Queensdale bot have very healthy populations.

If I do some free roaming play in the level 40-70 zones, sometimes things can feel a bit underpopulated, but that has more to do with the current population distribution than anything.

You can still do a weekly free server transfer, so if your server is dead and you have no ties there, you might check out a more populated server.

I stopped playing a couple weeks back and Tarnished Coast had been my server for a while.  It seemed really really dead outside the cities and 70+ areas.

The problem is....how do you know what server to move to?   All the servers pretty much say "Full" all the time, so if your server is dead yet still says Full.....what do you do?