Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Video card problem i dont get.

cichy1012cichy1012 riverside, CAPosts: 278Member

Video Card is a Evga gtx 470. Im using evga precision no overclock just for fan speed.

WHen I play a game My screen sorta freezes, gets funny colors, turns black then Im back to the game normal again. When I check the fan speed cause I hear it ramp down, its not at the 75 percent I had it to its back at default.

Ive tried  the newest drivers and have rolled back. same thing

Uninstalled everything just used drivers......same thing..

windows 7

atec true power trio 650 watt ---3 years old

any suggestions?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    The GeForce GTX 470 is extremely prone to overheating, as the stock cooler simply can't handle the card, even at stock speeds.  When's the last time you cleaned the dust out of your card?
  • VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Pleasant Hill, MOPosts: 72Member
    On any game or a specific game?  Make sure the card is fully seated. You may want to remove and reinstall the card. Otherwise if its not dust or drivers your GPU may be burning out.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNPosts: 2,150Member Uncommon

What does it do without you adjusting fan speed with Precision?

1st thing I would do is set everything back to default, i.e. Fan speeds, OC, ect. Dont adjust anything, and see if you have the same problems. If so then the card may be reaching its end. They only last so long and those cards stay hot.

It may not be playing nice with you adjusting fan speeds in Precision. Try it without that running and see whats up.

my 2cp

• RimmersmanRimmersman MonacoPosts: 885Member
    Originally posted by cichy1012

Video Card is a Evga gtx 470. Im using evga precision no overclock just for fan speed.WHen I play a game My screen sorta freezes, gets funny colors, turns black then Im back to the game normal again. When I check the fan speed cause I hear it ramp down, its not at the 75 percent I had it to its back at default.Ive tried  the newest drivers and have rolled back. same thingUninstalled everything just used drivers......same thing..windows 7atec true power trio 650 watt ---3 years oldany suggestions?  

No offense but as Quizz has said: The 470 line had major problems with over heating, some manufacturers tried to cool it down with their own versions but it is what it is I'm afraid. Best thing you can do is treat yourself to a new card or drop a hint to a family member that santa is coming.

• cichy1012cichy1012 riverside, CAPosts: 278Member
    I Rma the original cause I was experiencing similar problems. I put a 8800 gt in and it ran fine. Got my card back from evga and same thing and some added wired stuff. Power supply going bad? Memory?
  • jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNPosts: 2,150Member Uncommon

Your card is overheating most likely. What you describe fits the profile, graphical artifacts being one of them.

It could be other problems,  but the fact that you ran another GPU and did fine tends to point even more to the 470 going bad in some way. Could be the fan on the gpu, or several other issues with the card itself. If you have access to a similar gpu to test with then that would be ideal. Or if a friend has a newer gpu you could plug in and see. If they run fine then the 470 is the problem.

How old is that card? did you get it when it was released or recently?

I Rma the original cause I was experiencing similar problems. I put a 8800 gt in and it ran fine. Got my card back from evga and same thing and some added wired stuff. Power supply going bad? Memory?

The graphical artifacting that you describe is commonly characteristic of a video card overheating.  Your video card is prone to overheating due to a bad design.  So that's the first thing I'd look into.

What case are you using?  A GeForce GTX 470 puts out a ton of heat, which can make the interior of your case very hot if you don't have good airflow.  That can exacerbate overheating problems.

• cichy1012cichy1012 riverside, CAPosts: 278Member
    Originally posted by Quizzical

The graphical artifacting that you describe is commonly characteristic of a video card overheating.  Your video card is prone to overheating due to a bad design.  So that's the first thing I'd look into.

What case are you using?  A GeForce GTX 470 puts out a ton of heat, which can make the interior of your case very hot if you don't have good airflow.  That can exacerbate overheating problems.

antec  gunmetal p182 case.. side is open

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025

As jdnewell asked, how long have you had that card?  Have you had it for years and it just started acting up, or did it malfunction right from the start?
  • navroannavroan League City, TXPosts: 4Member

I had a gtx 285 that was like this, overheating crap (would happily run up to about 84c and then die), would just blackscreen crash instead though. Finally replaced that computer crashing bastard with a much much cooler running gtx 660ti

Not an ideal solution, but if the card is clean (no dust or anything), the fan works properly (they die sometimes), and you don't want to spend money on a better heatsink or cooler running card, you can try underclocking it.