Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Donation Goal almost Met to unlock new content being worked on.

2»

Comments

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    Originally posted by AwDiddums
    Originally posted by BigMango
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    Originally posted by deathshroud

http://www.mortalonline.com/donations/greyhalls this link is what the donators have to go on to determine if they should donate. Not very much at all.

I think it's great they are doing this. It allows the game to grow faster; no one is forced to donate and everyone will benefit.

What's great about it? Having the players pay to get some contract artist to throw a few models together. Shouldn't such things be included in the monthly subscriptions?  Setting a bad precedent, so what will we have to pay for next?

No, you don't understand.

Players are asking for features in all of the AAA mmorpgs. They will never get them. With MO it's possible.

Of course in a perfect world the devs would make everything with the subscriptions. But this dream world of yours doesn't exist. Even the well funded AAA companies with dozens if not hundreds of millions can't make it (look at SWTOR for 1 example).

You don't have to pay for anything if you don't want.

It only allows the players who like the game to make a donation to get some proposed or asked for features faster into the game. SV did this because many players asked for it on the forums. So, as you can see, they are responding to what many of the players asked for.

Without the donations we would not get these features. So for me, getting features ingame is better than not getting them. Period.

For you, as you don't agree with donating, it will only make the game better than if donations didn't exist. This is a win-win situation for everyone.

So in essence MO now has the ultimate Cash Shop, except in this one they are offering the players a Developer to do your bidding, so long as the price is met, and so long as it's what the Devs themselves tell you they are going to make, thats not a player choice now is it, your still having to swallow what the devs push out there, it will just be a coincidence that what they produce will be what some of the players actually wanted.

No, you don't have to swallow anything if you don't want to (but you stll get the donation content for free).

And yes, it's a players choice to donate or not. And again the players asked for it.

And again, it's the first donation. More options will come if players want it; they've been talking of making polls. What would you prefer? Having us wait 6 months before donations start so that their small team first gets the time to analyse all the possibilities and make up grand plans for donation content? And meanwhile they wouldn't be working on the schedduled content because they are in meetings designing grand donation plans?

People, think! Even the huge teams with hundreds of developers are slow in pushing new content out (and most fail in making something great). What do you expect of a small team like SV?

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

The player base had been getting his services for free.

Yes, but now they had to cut staff as they don't have the funds anymore. You can image as much as you want, when there's no money ...there's no money.

Anyway, they said what he's doing for the donation is extra work outside of normal planned development scheddule. So even if they had cash to pay him he would be working on something else planned in the development scheddule.

Again, I prefer to get something I am ready to pay for than getting nothing. And even getting something I don't want to pay for, but if it interests other people I'd be getting it for free interests me as well.

You are too funny...

If these "additions" are so important to the MO player base, why can't Henrik take a week and have SV do it?  Really... whats another week delay in MOs "development", many of us have already waited 2.5 years.

People can do whatever thay want with their money, but trying to spin this as a good thing is laughable. Henrik owes the players who stuck with MO over the years. not the other way around.  You even stated the game wasn't worth playing to this point, yet many people kept the faith with multiple accounts. $$$  Here we are with Henrik putting his hand out once again.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
     No, you don't have to swallow anything if you don't want to (but you stll get the donation content for free).

And yes, it's a players choice to donate or not. And again the players asked for it.

And again, it's the first donation. More options will come if players want it; they've been talking of making polls. What would you prefer? Having us wait 6 months before donations start so that their small team first gets the time to analyse all the possibilities and make up grand plans for donation content? And meanwhile they wouldn't be working on the schedduled content because they are in meetings designing grand donation plans?

People, think! Even the huge teams with hundreds of developers are slow in pushing new content out (and most fail in making something great). What do you expect of a small team like SV?

Oh yes, the good ol' small team defense. I don't know how many times it has been said, as long as they ask for an AAA-price subfee, it doesn't mean anything. If you act like a bigtime developer, you better deliver on that.

SV has what, 3 developers and one of them doesn't even get money (paratus?). This company is by far the worst one in the business. I've never seen so amateurish "company" to live so long. It's alive only, because it's a hobby of a rich man's son.

I know they're F2P now (P2W really), but they should've adopted that model at least 2 years ago. Obviously they have their hardcore following of around 50-100 subs (wonder how many of those are people with 2-3 subs). These people are so devoted and oblivious, that they'd even buy a piece of doodoo if SV had produced it.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

What's great about it? Having the players pay to get some contract artist to throw a few models together. Shouldn't such things be included in the monthly subscriptions?  Setting a bad precedent, so what will we have to pay for next?

Players are asking for features in all of the AAA mmorpgs. They will never get them. With MO it's possible.

Of course in a perfect world the devs would make everything with the subscriptions. But this dream world of yours doesn't exist. Even the well funded AAA companies with dozens if not hundreds of millions can't make it (look at SWTOR for 1 example).

Swtor did deliver, they are just not delivering what the customer wanted (ie. Illum fix, proper space game). There is a difference.

What you've said are all nonsense. What you are saying is similar to saying that what you pay a water company is to get clean water is not enough to get clean water, so they'll have to ask for donations to hire someone to clean that water for you - while it is their own job to clean the water in the first place. Do you even realise how asinine and illogical that sounds? lol

If one can't even provide the basic service that they were paid to provide, they shouldn't even be running that business in the first place.

Yes, but now they had to cut staff as they don't have the funds anymore. You can image as much as you want, when there's no money ...there's no money.

Anyway, they said what he's doing for the donation is extra work outside of normal planned development scheddule. So even if they had cash to pay him he would be working on something else planned in the development scheddule.

Again, I prefer to get something I am ready to pay for than getting nothing. And even getting something I don't want to pay for, but if it interests other people I'd be getting it for free interests me as well.

You are too funny...

If these "additions" are so important to the MO player base, why can't Henrik take a week and have SV do it?  Really... whats another week delay in MOs "development", many of us have already waited 2.5 years.

People can do whatever thay want with their money, but trying to spin this as a good thing is laughable. Henrik owes the players who stuck with MO over the years. not the other way around.  You even stated the game wasn't worth playing to this point, yet many people kept the faith with multiple accounts. $$$  Here we are with Henrik putting his hand out once again.

Again, you seem totaly lost with this. You don't understand the concept of donation, do you?

No, they are not so important to the player base. This is precisely why they are not part of the normal development scheddule and given for donations.

The team already has too much on its plate to handle, and you would want them to delay bug fixing and shedduled game features?

This company has no funds to do better than what they are doing now. Are you too young to understand basic economics?

Originally posted by Rawiz

Oh yes, the good ol' small team defense. I don't know how many times it has been said, as long as they ask for an AAA-price subfee, it doesn't mean anything. If you act like a bigtime developer, you better deliver on that.

SV has what, 3 developers and one of them doesn't even get money (paratus?). This company is by far the worst one in the business. I've never seen so amateurish "company" to live so long. It's alive only, because it's a hobby of a rich man's son.

I know they're F2P now (P2W really), but they should've adopted that model at least 2 years ago. Obviously they have their hardcore following of around 50-100 subs (wonder how many of those are people with 2-3 subs). These people are so devoted and oblivious, that they'd even buy a piece of doodoo if SV had produced it.

It's the only company that has managed to bring us a fantasy mmoprg sanbox.

It's easy to talk as you do, behind your screen and keyboard, but he had a dream as a player and he went out and THEY DID IT. It's not perfect yet, but still Kudos to them. image

Apart from CPP with EVE and  AV with the non-sanbox but pvp game Darkfall (DF has no place here as it isn't on the same level at all), all of the others so called big AAA development houses with hundreds of developers and millions have been spoonfeading us the same old WOW game with the exact same mechanics and the same "go fetch me this same thing quests over and over again".

No other company with their millions has been able to deliver what SV did with this small team and limited funds. And today it's still far from perfect, but I finaly see an awesome game that works. There's still a lot to do, but nevertheless : many thanks and my gratitude goes out to Henrik and his team.  image

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

You are too funny...

Again, you seem totaly lost with this. You don't understand the concept of donation, do you?

No, they are not so important to the player base. This is precisely why they are not part of the normal development scheddule and given for donations.

The team already has too much on its plate to handle, and you would want them to delay bug fixing and shedduled game features?

This company has no funds to do better than what they are doing now. Are you too young to understand basic economics?

I understand you are new to the game, but SV has had no funds for over a year.  Feel free to check out their finacial reports. http://www.aktietorget.se/QuotesInstrument.aspx?Language=2&InstrumentID=SE0002149369

Too much on their plate, you just said how great the game was???  The point you are failing to grasp is nothing has changed at SV other than you are now "paying" for content that was previously free.  Unless you are privy  to a new reduction in develpoment staff

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Originally posted by Hancakes What's great about it? Having the players pay to get some contract artist to throw a few models together. Shouldn't such things be included in the monthly subscriptions?  Setting a bad precedent, so what will we have to pay for next?
      No, you don't understand.   Players are asking for features in all of the AAA mmorpgs. They will never get them. With MO it's possible.   Of course in a perfect world the devs would make everything with the subscriptions. But this dream world of yours doesn't exist. Even the well funded AAA companies with dozens if not hundreds of millions can't make it (look at SWTOR for 1 example).  
    Swtor did deliver, they are just not delivering what the customer wanted (ie. Illum fix, proper space game). There is a difference. What you've said are all nonsense. What you are saying is similar to saying that what you pay a water company is to get clean water is not enough to get clean water, so they'll have to ask for donations to hire someone to clean that water for you - while it is their own job to clean the water in the first place. Do you even realise how asinine and illogical that sounds? lol

Er, no. Not at all.

This is absolutely not what they are doing and not what they intend to do with the donations.

Go read the links above to get yourself informed.

In this example:

1. The water company brings you the water every day for free (f2p).

2. If you want hier skill levels (100 instead of 60) and 4 water pipes instead of 3 or 1 (4 character slots) you pay a monthly sub.

3. You can donate if you want, and you'll get a glass of wine on top of the water. And even if you don't donate you still get the glass of wine for free thanks to the players who donate.

If one can't even provide the basic service that they were paid to provide, they shouldn't even be running that business in the first place.  

Basic service seems provided since last week. (I haven't really been playing the game before because this service was not provided before).

And they are the only company who has been providing this service since UO, so they are very much wanted here. No one forces you to pay them anything if you don't want; neither do they, they are even letting you play for free.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927

i think you need to go have another look.   Usually when an MO fan makes that remark it is after numerous qualifiers such as "Fantasy, FFA, Full-Loot, Open World, First Person, Unreal Engine, Sandbox MMORPG". 

But anyhow... as far as donations go.. people can do whatever they want with their money.  I would MUCH rather SV honestly ask for donations than what they did at the start of the game when they immediately charged everyone full price for a game, delayed it for a year, tried to refuse refunds (still keeping everyones cash) and then ninja subscribed everyone that ever ordered the game.  Asking for donations is one of the more open and honest things they have done, as long as they actually deliver what they are promising... which is something they STILL haven't done for those who orginally ordered that game in 2009.

Is there some sort of tracker that shows donations and progress to their goal?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

It's easy to talk as you do, behind your screen and keyboard, but he had a dream as a player and he went out and THEY DID IT. It's not perfect yet, but still Kudos to them. image

Apart from CPP with EVE and  AV with the non-sanbox but pvp game Darkfall (DF has no place here as it isn't on the same level at all), all of the others so called big AAA development houses with hundreds of developers and millions have been spoonfeading us the same old WOW game with the exact same mechanics and the same "go fetch me this same thing quests over and over again".

No other company with their millions has been able to deliver what SV did with this small team and limited funds. And today it's still far from perfect, but I finaly see an awesome game that works. There's still a lot to do, but nevertheless : many thanks and my gratitude goes out to Henrik and his team.  image

Hey, 2010 called - it wants its fanboys back.

Who cares about the dream? Who cares about team size? It's the result that matters. We all want a fantasy sandbox, but that doesn't mean we should support any crappy product just because it labels itself as such.

SV has had years to prove themselves and they failed, again and again. This new "ftp" deal is just another attempt to squeeze a few miserable bucks from the remaining fans, and it's so muddled up with shady donations offers and ptw logic that it's embarrasing.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Er, no. Not at all.

This is absolutely not what they are doing and not what they intend to do with the donations.

Go read the links above to get yourself informed.

In this example:

1. The water company brings you the water every day for free (f2p).

2. If you want hier skill levels (100 instead of 60) and 4 water pipes instead of 3 or 1 (4 character slots) you pay a monthly sub.

3. You can donate if you want, and you'll get a glass of wine on top of the water. And even if you don't donate you still get the glass of wine for free thanks to the players who donate.

Basic service seems provided since last week. (I haven't really been playing the game before because this service was not provided before).

And they are the only company who has been providing this service since UO, so they are very much wanted here. No one forces you to pay them anything if you don't want; neither do they, they are even letting you play for free.

Firstly, f2p is not free - the subscribers ARE playing for the game, the free players are no different than trial. The subbers AT LEAST paid for contents that wasn't delivered or delivered properly, for a long tiem now.

Secondly, water is NOT free, as it is a national resource. your counter example is just bad.

Thirdly, wine and water is NOT even the same produce, of course THAT you ahve to pay separately. It is like saying you pay to play MO and expect to be able to play Darkfall for no added cost. You are not respondign to the arguement, you are just making up some crazy, totally unrelated deflections.

Fourthly, I don't know why you keep talking about wine.

Finally, I don't know what you consider basic service. The job of MO provider is NOT to just run the server, but to run an entertainment service that works. The server might be running, but the entertainment service is not working as expected. That's only half the service provide.

I don't know what your response to these points are, but I got a feeling you probably going to just deflect some more with some totally unrelated and crazy answers and start delving into wine and cheese more again.

Originally posted by Hancakes I understand you are new to the game, but SV has had no funds for over a year.  Feel free to check out their finacial reports. http://www.aktietorget.se/QuotesInstrument.aspx?Language=2&InstrumentID=SE0002149369

Yes I've seen this.

Doesn't change these facts for me:

1. There is no other fantasy mmorpg. AV is the only company since UO to have done this. I would like to try out another game, but there's nothing else.

There's only : EVE (space), Darkfal (pvp with limited crafting) and WOW (and its dozen copies.... AoC, Rift, GW2, SWTOR, etc..).

2. The game still needs fixing, but it now works. I am already impressed with the depth of the game mechanics, but long term players are telling me that I have only scratched the surface and that there's so much more to see.

3. Back to 1: there's no other fantasy sandbox mmorpg.

Too much on their plate, you just said how great the game was???  The point you are failing to grasp is nothing has changed at SV other than you are now "paying" for content that was previously free.  Unless you are privy  to a new reduction in develpoment staff

I have tried the game out several times before, but it was broken. What has changed for me now is that the game is finaly playable since last week. This is why I'm here and I am enjoying myself a lot.

If there was another game I would be trying it out, but there's no other fantasy sandbox mmorpg. Of course I'll be subbing to Darkfall 2 to try it out, but I already know it's only a pvp contest game.

Really, I can't stand the WOW copies anymore. It's always the same game (SWTOR, GW2, Rift,...). Always the exact same thing, over and over again.

Fortunately, AV is still here and I am thankfull for the efforts they are putting into this, it mustn't be easy with the difficulties theay are facing. Of course it would be much easier to bankrupt the company to file for unemployment allowances and come spend their free time here to complain and bash games with your lot. Thanks to them for sticking it out.

Originally posted by Biskop

Originally posted by BigMango It's the only company that has managed to bring us a fantasy mmoprg sanbox. It's easy to talk as you do, behind your screen and keyboard, but he had a dream as a player and he went out and THEY DID IT. It's not perfect yet, but still Kudos to them. Apart from CPP with EVE and  AV with the non-sanbox but pvp game Darkfall (DF has no place here as it isn't on the same level at all), all of the others so called big AAA development houses with hundreds of developers and millions have been spoonfeading us the same old WOW game with the exact same mechanics and the same "go fetch me this same thing quests over and over again". No other company with their millions has been able to deliver what SV did with this small team and limited funds. And today it's still far from perfect, but I finaly see an awesome game that works. There's still a lot to do, but nevertheless : many thanks and my gratitude goes out to Henrik and his team.   
    Hey, 2010 called - it wants its fanboys back. Who cares about the dream? Who cares about team size? It's the result that matters. We all want a fantasy sandbox, but that doesn't mean we should support any crappy product just because it labels itself as such.

For me it's now good enough to be played, so I am playing it (didn't before because it was broken).

For you it isn't good enough, so you aren't playing it.

Sounds like business as usuall, the same we can read in every other game section on these forums.

SV has had years to prove themselves and they failed, again and again. This new "ftp" deal is just another attempt to squeeze a few miserable bucks from the remaining fans, and it's so muddled up with shady donations offers and ptw logic that it's embarrasing.

I refused to play the game before because it was broken. So to me they finaly proved themselves.

Thanks to the f2p I tried this game again. Without it I would never have tried it again. And I see new players all over the world.

Imho, doing the donations is better than doing nothing. At least we get some added content instead of nothing. Players asked for the donation possibility repeatedly on the forums. This is why they did it; there's nothing shady in this. But I guess you prefer the cash shops the other games are doing. At least with the donations everyone gets the content, even those who don't pay.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

mango likes the game, if you like the concept then great. Nobody can tell you you shouldnt play it based on their own taste.

if you're interested in MO then theres a F2P way of giving it a try, im willing to let those interested make up their own minds by actually playing it.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110

mango likes the game, if you like the concept then great. Nobody can tell you you shouldnt play it based on their own taste.

if you're interested in MO then theres a F2P way of giving it a try, im willing to let those interested make up their own minds by actually playing it.

Mango is ignoring the fact that GM's use their powers for their friends and guilds. He's been playing long enough to know it's happened and happens so he's either ignorant to that fact or has been too blinded by fanboi goggles to see or hear about it. Either way his opinion is based on selective and incorrect facts... in turn I don't respect his opinion and find it misleading for new players who should be warned of these things.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Imho, doing the donations is better than doing nothing. At least we get some added content instead of nothing. Players asked for the donation possibility repeatedly on the forums. This is why they did it; there's nothing shady in this. But I guess you prefer the cash shops the other games are doing. At least with the donations everyone gets the content, even those who don't pay.

I do respect other ppl's opinions on what they care about, I've felt the same way on various other MMO's and posters have rammed down facts and figures and "This game is an EPIC FAILURE" until they are blue in the face, each to their own, we all have vastly differing ideas in what makes a game fun for us.

The idea that the community had to ask for a donation system to get new content into the game rather than nothing doesn't sound like a games studio that is putting it's players first now does it, you mentioned no new content yourself so only using your words.

New content is better than no content, but aren't you all being held to ransom here, sure the game has gone F2P, so if the donation idea never took off would that have affected what content was being created? the game went F2P for a reason, just like the big titles out there that took the same path, lack of players, however SV haven't opted for a conventional cash shop, they are being very sneaky here and have created a whole new business model, donate and we will create, no donations and potentially no new content other than what we have to do to keep the game running.

Put aside the fact your enjoying the game now, think about the long term, if the donation system eventually runs out of steam what will that really mean for the game.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Yeah, to each his own. If someone likes a game, then good for him.

The amusing part is when that someone has played MO for two weeks and then comes here to preach about how great the game is and how small the team is and how we must support indie sandboxes and so on, when most posters here have played MO extensively for long time periods and know what SV is all about.

The fanboy logic always seems to be the same: "I play the game now and you don't, so my opinion is correct while yours isn't."

They all seem to forget that most critics of MO have actually played the game, often for a lot longer than these fresh fans have. Actually, many people have played the game, and most of them don't anymore.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Actually, many people have played the game, and most of them don't anymore.

And that my friend, is the incontroverible truth.  Perhaps the only one you will find about the game.

Anyhow,  I'm going to ask one last time.. people are always talking about things like SV needed $900 to hit the goal etc.  Is there any place that you can see the actual goal and progress?  You know, some sort of tracking meter?

If not, where are people getting the numbers from?  IRC?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ShabaleShabale Member UncommonPosts: 44

There used to be a money countdown here 

http://www.mortalonline.com/donations

But now that the goal is reached, it only shows "Goal Met"

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

http://www.mortalonline.com/donations/greyhalls this link is what the donators have to go on to determine if they should donate. Not very much at all.

I think it's great they are doing this. It allows the game to grow faster; no one is forced to donate and everyone will benefit.

You don't have to pay for anything if you don't want.

It only allows the players who like the game to make a donation to get some proposed or asked for features faster into the game. SV did this because many players asked for it on the forums. So, as you can see, they are responding to what many of the players asked for.

Without the donations we would not get these features. So for me, getting features ingame is better than not getting them. Period.

For you, as you don't agree with donating, it will only make the game better than if donations didn't exist. This is a win-win situation for everyone.

Ok Mango... I m reading your posts in 2 different threads and by the way you are repeating the same things again and again and again, while at the same time you dont make much sense, really made me wonder if you are the 5th account of Lahuzer or if you are fairly young and have your own way to look at things or you are simply one of those SV's bots that keep coming here time after time to say how wonderfull MO is, how population is booming and how brilliant SV is, how they keep in touch with their playerbase etc etc.

I cant say i didnt noticed the things you said cause for some reason, that is beyond me, you keep repeating them again and again. I m playing on and off MO since Beta Block B and Awakening was the cherry on the top of the cake for me, so i unistalled MO and promissed to myself that will not be bothered trying it again since i am convinced by now that the game is the crap mostly cause the company that runs it are a bunch of clueless people without the ability to code. Now i m sorry but couldnt help myself from asking you a few questions while i m trying to comprehend what is that you are trying to say here:

1) You mentioned several times that you where not playing MO untill recently cause it was broken and since Awakening made the game playable you are having a blast. May i ask what did Awakening changed in game, made it playable and which where the issues in the past that stoped you playing the game? Pls elaborate.

2) Which are the sandbox features that MO has and for example DF didnt or DF UW will not have? Which feature of MO you consider in depth and which game mechanics of MO you consider revolutionary and sanboxy?

3) Usually when i enjoy a game, strangely i play it. I do not care what other people say and i dont bother to jump in forums and advertise it nor fight with the ones that do disslike it. Why do you bother arguing with people that have a clearer picture than you concerning MO instaed of playing the bloody game?